Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554268 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1120 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Reanimator is the tits.

I too often think quite fondly of Barbara Crampton based on her outstanding performance in this movie.

:clap:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1121 on: October 27, 2015, 06:56:01 AM »
Heh heh.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1122 on: October 27, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
The Gift.

Wasn't difficult to figure out what the gift was, but getting to that point was the mystery.  Also, if you don't like slow moving movies stay away.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1123 on: October 27, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
I thought the "gift" was getting to see Katie Holmes topless.

(yeah yeah, no one's made that joke before)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1124 on: October 27, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
I thought he meant the new 2015-movie The Gift, but seeing as Raimi made one as well, I guess it could be either. :P Actually wikipedia has a list of more than 5 The Gift's.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1125 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
It's all so confusing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1126 on: October 27, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
ya, I was talking about the new one with Jason Bateman.  :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1127 on: October 27, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »
Hmm, between the two of them, I think I'd still rather see Katie Holmes topless.  But to each his own.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1128 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
Hmm, between the two of them, I think I'd still rather see Katie Holmes topless.  But to each his own.

no doubt.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: October 27, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »
Just saw Inside Out. My god, I was not prepared for that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: October 27, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
Did you forget your wallet ?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: October 27, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
Inside Out is pretty damn emotional. Literally.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1132 on: October 28, 2015, 05:06:06 AM »

Testify

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1133 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
Did you forget your wallet ?

More like I forgot tissues.

(because of crying, not the other thing, you sickos)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1134 on: October 28, 2015, 06:31:02 AM »
Maybe it's just me being all dead inside, but I find it interesting when people cry to movies, probably because it hasn't happened to myself. I can get emotional and feel sadness but it doesn't express itself in that way, it's more of an inner sadness. The closest I've gotten to that level of emotion in a cinema was probably when I saw Fast & Furious 7 when they did the homage to Paul Walker at the end. Not an emotional movie by any stretch, but considering his sad fate, it was a touching homage to him and it definitely cast a big shadow over the whole movie. The movie itself was enjoyable (but not mindblowing or anything), but it became emotionally charged because of Paul Walker. I didn't cry though, but a few people did.

I think in general I get more attached to characters in episodic video-games (like Telltale or Life is Strange) or TV-shows. You get more time with the characters there, but in a 2 hour movie there's just not time for the movie to root itself so deep in my mind that I get THAT emotional about a character dying. In a TV-show however, you can have a character grow over 4-5 seasons and have a horrible fate and the impact is much bigger.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1135 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
Different people are affected by films differently, and to differing degrees.  As with anything else in life, I suppose.  I get what you mean about becoming more invested in a character you've known over a longer period of time, but I think a good story can suck you right in and "make" you care -- again, if you have the predisposition to such things.

I think of the opening sequence of Up, the wordless story of the couple.  I was welling up by the end of it, and I'd known those characters less than ten minutes.  And they're obviously fictional, computer-animated people who I'd never met and will never meet, but somehow I cared about what was happening to them, a lot.  I know people who said that they were crying at the end of that sequence.  That's some good storytelling.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: October 28, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »
To be fair, I am a pretty emotional guy. Deaths or even purely sad moments are far from the only things that make me cry. I cry to pretty much anything. Scenes like "no, I am your father" usually brings me to tears just because it's such an iconic and powerful moment.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1137 on: October 28, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Different people are affected by films differently, and to differing degrees.  As with anything else in life, I suppose.  I get what you mean about becoming more invested in a character you've known over a longer period of time, but I think a good story can suck you right in and "make" you care -- again, if you have the predisposition to such things.

I think of the opening sequence of Up, the wordless story of the couple.  I was welling up by the end of it, and I'd known those characters less than ten minutes.  And they're obviously fictional, computer-animated people who I'd never met and will never meet, but somehow I cared about what was happening to them, a lot.  I know people who said that they were crying at the end of that sequence.  That's some good storytelling.

I get emotional during a lot of movies. It's actually ridiculous sometimes. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sad scene. It could be a positive scene and I suppose it's because altruism is just as beautiful/emotional a moment as any melancholy scene.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1138 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »
I used to try to be stoic when watching movies, or admiring paintings or sculptures or other works of art, basically anything except music.  I've always allowed myself to be taken by music.  But I had this idea that it was cool to not be moved by art, and anything less was unmanly or uncool or something.  Yeah, pretty stupid, since the whole point of art is to make an impression, to move the viewer.  Then I read something that said that one reason why men die younger and have more heart attacks and stuff could be because they're always stifling their emotions, which is just plain unhealthy.  Let it out; it's better for you.

So now I don't care who sees me or what they think.  If something is sad, I let it make me sad.  If something's good, I let it make me happy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: October 28, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »

I get emotional during a lot of movies. It's actually ridiculous sometimes. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sad scene. It could be a positive scene and I suppose it's because altruism is just as beautiful/emotional a moment as any melancholy scene.

Me too. I never used to. It could just be a rousing score or anything. Seeing it on a massive screen with loud music. I dunno.

I never used to well up before I get severe depression. Now I do at the drop of a hat. :(

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1140 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
I'll chime in with the emotional ups and downs that come with movies. Usually if it's pertaining to children whether it's good or bad. But also the good 'ole reunions after turmoil and the like.

That said, and related to the topic and discussion all at once:

Southpaw. Pretty much your by-the-book boxing film that I felt was almost a fictional modernized version of Cinderella Man (which I liked more as a boxing movie with heart). But I did like the brutality of Jake and then the movie had a nice backdrop of a dad working his ass off and getting his shit straight (which I can relate to immensely right now) for his daughter. It tugged at the heart-strings a bit but more often than not once a bit cliche as far as boxing movies go and was predictable *almost* to a fault. But it was a good watch. Nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it. Probably won't ever see it again though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1141 on: October 28, 2015, 06:17:40 PM »
I used to try to be stoic when watching movies, or admiring paintings or sculptures or other works of art, basically anything except music.  I've always allowed myself to be taken by music.  But I had this idea that it was cool to not be moved by art, and anything less was unmanly or uncool or something.  Yeah, pretty stupid, since the whole point of art is to make an impression, to move the viewer.  Then I read something that said that one reason why men die younger and have more heart attacks and stuff could be because they're always stifling their emotions, which is just plain unhealthy.  Let it out; it's better for you.

So now I don't care who sees me or what they think.  If something is sad, I let it make me sad.  If something's good, I let it make me happy.

:tup

And I agree about the beginning of Up, omg

I don't cry easily with movies, but I've become a bit more of a softie over the years. First movie that ever made me cry was Requiem for a Dream. I told that to somebody recently and he said "The ass-to-ass scene?!"  :rollin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1142 on: October 28, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »

Exactly. Just let it out.

Me too. I never used to. It could just be a rousing score or anything. Seeing it on a massive screen with loud music. I dunno.

I never used to well up before I get severe depression. Now I do at the drop of a hat. :(

You're an empath...of sorts.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1143 on: October 29, 2015, 05:53:29 AM »
My wife and I balled our eyes out at the open scene.  It hit home hard.  My wife and I tried to have children for years with no luck.  Even tried invetro 3 times.  So here is a room full of parents with their children and 2 adults in the back crying.  I love the movie UP and own it but we haven't watched it since.  Too emotional for us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1144 on: October 29, 2015, 06:30:26 AM »
Inside was very emotional of my wife and I. We have an almost 3 year old daughter and the montage the girl growing up was very depressing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
Inside was very emotional of my wife and I. We have an almost 3 year old daughter and the montage the girl growing up was very depressing.
I agree. I'm not even a parent and I think about that when I think about having kids one day.

Just watched Gladiator. It's been so long since I've last seen it. Incredible movie and has one of the best endings of any movie I've seen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1146 on: October 29, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »
I recently re-watched Little Miss Sunshine.  That movie makes me bawl at multiple points, before laughing my ass off during the final dance scene.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1147 on: October 29, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Hell yes, I love that movie. When Steve Carrell tears the door off the van, omg  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1148 on: October 29, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
I know right?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1149 on: October 29, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
My wife and I balled our eyes out at the open scene.  It hit home hard.  My wife and I tried to have children for years with no luck.  Even tried invetro 3 times.  So here is a room full of parents with their children and 2 adults in the back crying.  I love the movie UP and own it but we haven't watched it since.  Too emotional for us.

I feel that way about the movie Tangled. Great movie, but very tough to take the emotional and mental abuse of Rapunzel when I also had (have) 2 cute blond daughters.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1150 on: November 02, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
Just saw South Paw. Sure its a bit formulaic, but I liked it a lot. Tear jerker.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1151 on: November 04, 2015, 05:36:19 AM »
Interview with a vampire. I love this movie

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1152 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
Interview with a vampire. I love this movie

What an awesome movie. Too bad the next one wasn't as good and they never bothered continuing with the series.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1153 on: November 04, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
Yessss. I was just talking about that movie the other day. I saw it in theaters when I was young and fell in love with both lead actors and their ponytails  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1154 on: November 04, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
Prog, are you talking about Byzantium? I thought that was a pretty damn good flick, especially for the vampire genre and being related (at least in spirit) to Interview. Although I definitely like Interview better and it's probably still my favorite vampire flick, I thought Byzantium was great in of itself and kept the spirit of 'vampire tells life story' fashion. I also love the tone of it, probably more than Interview in that regard.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.