Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554744 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1085 on: October 23, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
I've never heard of Camp Nowhere or Heavy Weights either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: October 23, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Not sure that's a good comparison.  Never heard of Heavy Weights either.

Deep Impact is a much better film than Armageddon.

I've only seen each one once but at the time I remember thinking that Deep Impact was a lot more overly-dramatic and cloying.

But since then i've grown to hate Joel Schumacher or Michael Bay or whoever made Armageddon so my opinion could change If I watched them now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1087 on: October 23, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
Not sure that's a good comparison. Never heard of Heavy Weights either.

:omg: :omg: :omg:
I just googled it and read the wiki article.

Yeah, never heard of it, wouldn't have watched it if I had heard of it.

Watch better stuff, man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1088 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »
I think Armageddon is alright, but it's pretty ridiculous. Deep Impact though, that's a great movie in my mind. Elijah Wood's story line always gets to me, don't know why. It just gives me the feeling I get from another movie I don't remember right now, but I think it's the feeling that kotowboy gets from the ending of Interstellar. Except I may like that feeling more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
The feeling I get at the end of Interstellar is just confusion.

Oh he's going into the black hole. Cool I guess. This'll be interesting. It appears to be snowing in there ? Oh he's ejected. Well he's dead now for sure... Huh ? What ?

He's what ? Where is this ? Some alien city ?

It's a bookcase ? Ohhhh it's Murphs bedroom. I get it. ...

Ok now where is he ? In a Space Station ? Cool. And Murph is there ? Ok. Oh he said goodbye and left. Wait now what is he doing ? Where is he going ? Huh What ?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
They were two completely different movies really. Armageddon focused primarily on the team on the asteroid. Deep Impact focused on what would happen to society.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1091 on: October 23, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
The feeling I get at the end of Interstellar is just confusion.

I thought I remembered you saying something different about how you felt there. Hard to descrie though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1092 on: October 23, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
They were two completely different movies really. Armageddon focused primarily on the team on the asteroid. Deep Impact focused on what would happen to society.
The difference isn't just on focus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1093 on: October 23, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
SPECTRE. nuff said. Amazing. If you like Bond movies...............this will blow you away. If you do not like Bond movies it will blow you away.  GREAT movie. Waltz will get a nomination and Craig should. It is a Bond film but with great acting.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:28:18 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1094 on: October 23, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »
Whoa, I didn't realize the new Bond movie was out!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1095 on: October 23, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »
Whoa, I didn't realize the new Bond movie was out!

Neither did I, since it turns out it doesn't come out until November 12 in my country. :(

Glad to hear it was great though. Can't wait. :tup
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:24:58 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1096 on: October 24, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »
Finally saw Hocus Pocus tonight. Pretty funny and adorable. All my friends were like "How haven't you seen this?!"  :lol

They were also watching Nightmare Before Christmas, but I've seen that and was too tired to lounge on a couch for another hour and change.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1097 on: October 24, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »
SPECTRE. nuff said. Amazing. If you like Bond movies...............this will blow you away. If you do not like Bond movies it will blow you away.  GREAT movie. Waltz will get a nomination and Craig should. It is a Bond film but with great acting.
It's not out anywhere in the world yet.  The world premiere isn't until October 26th.

How did you see it?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1098 on: October 24, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
It's not out anywhere in the world yet.  The world premiere isn't until October 26th.

How did you see it?

IIRC, Trooper has some kind of buddy in the business I think, and has many times seen movies before their actual premier.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1099 on: October 24, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »
Cool.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1100 on: October 24, 2015, 07:12:02 AM »

How did you see it?

IIRC, Trooper has some kind of buddy in the business I think, and has many times seen movies before their actual premier.

This.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1101 on: October 24, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »
Just got back from The Martian. Excellent movie, I'd probably say it's my #1 of the year so far. There are some very interesting yet to come out, so we'll see where it eventually lands. But as of right now, #1 of 2015.

Hadn't seen any trailers or read/watched any reviews, so I knew nothing going in, which was wonderful. There were many things I liked about the movie, but the most stand out thing for me was how they made you care for Mark as a person, which is perhaps the most important part of a movie like this. He was smart, efficient, and determined, but he was also funny and optimistic, which made him very likable, and I thought Matt Damon did a great job playing all of that.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1102 on: October 25, 2015, 04:38:00 AM »
Some friends and I spent the day at the Alamo Drafthouse today for Dismember the Alamo- basically you pay $30 and they show four mystery horror movies (though I'm not sure I'd classify all of them as horror this year). You don't know what's showing until it comes on the screen, which is a lot of fun.
First they showed Ken Russel's The Devils, which I guess is considered fairly rare, but I just saw last year oddly enough. It has nuns in it, which ended up winning me the costume contest since I had coincidentally dressed appropriately (I won a hat, hoodie and pint glass). Anyway, awesome movie- not exactly horror but terrifying because it's based on true events.
Then we watched Onibaba, a weird but gorgeous Japanese flick I had never heard of.
Next was Dagon- oh god, why?!  :lol
But the icing on the cake was that not only was the fourth movie motherfucking RE-ANIMATOR but Stuart Gordon was there in person for a Q&A, and to sign these awesome posters we all got:

An awesome day!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1103 on: October 25, 2015, 04:41:38 AM »
Re-Animator!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1104 on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »
That's awesome.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1105 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »
Re-Animator is great!  I caught it on TV one time long ago, and had no idea what it was going into it.  I soon learned.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1106 on: October 25, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
I know! I never dreamed I would get to meet the sicko who made it!  :lol

Have you guys seen Dagon? He also made that, but not NEARLY as good haha

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1107 on: October 25, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
I saw it a while back when my Lovecraft addiction was in full force and couldn't finish it. I thought it was pretty bad... Plus it's based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth, not Dagon..which is really strange they named it such, but I get it for the what the movie was. But those two short stories are two of my favorite by Lovecraft, especially Dagon. But I was watching it and citing the similarities to TSOI instead of Dagon, then slowly..."WAIT A FUCKIN' MINUTE"!  :lol So I was a bit disappointed in that regard, but also just thought it was kind of sloppy.

But that's an awesome story, and Reanimator is the tits.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1108 on: October 25, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
So I just watched Kung Fury again, and it was still glorious.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1109 on: October 25, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
I saw it a while back when my Lovecraft addiction was in full force and couldn't finish it. I thought it was pretty bad... Plus it's based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth, not Dagon..which is really strange they named it such, but I get it for the what the movie was. But those two short stories are two of my favorite by Lovecraft, especially Dagon. But I was watching it and citing the similarities to TSOI instead of Dagon, then slowly..."WAIT A FUCKIN' MINUTE"!  :lol So I was a bit disappointed in that regard, but also just thought it was kind of sloppy.

But that's an awesome story, and Reanimator is the tits.

That it is. And yeah, I'm not familiar with either of the stories but Dagon the movie is just :lolpalm:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1110 on: October 25, 2015, 10:19:38 PM »
Reanimator is the tits.

I too often think quite fondly of Barbara Crampton based on her outstanding performance in this movie.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1111 on: October 25, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
Finally got to see Ex Machina. Great movie though one point does bother me and kinda dampers me from giving it a 9/10.

Spoilers below...

I kinda don't get Caleb's desire to help out Ava so much. I mean it's implied that he's in love with her to some degree which pushes him but I might have to rewatch again to see if I really caught his motivations. And I'm not sure why after finding out that Nathan was replacing his previous AI models, his motivations become stronger to help Ava. I dunno I'll need to sleep on it and re-watch sometime.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1112 on: October 26, 2015, 07:02:48 AM »
Finally got around to watching Jurassic World. Really enjoyed it and found it deserving of the hype. Just a great action movie. Hopefully the next one is just as good. I did get annoyed with wife talking about fake it was becasue that lady was running around the hole movie high heels.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1113 on: October 26, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
I finally watched X-Men: Days Of Future Passed last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique.

The night before I watched Due Date and really didn't like it. I don't think Zach Galifianakis is funny at all and I'm glad to see Robert Downey Jr. is branching out a bit and playing a sardonic character.  :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1114 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
I caught most of Due Date, and felt the same way.  It just wasn't that funny.  I can see how a lot of it was supposed to be funny, with the premise and the wacky stuff that happens, but it just felt forced, not natural at all.  RDJ did a great job playing RDJ, but with him as the straight man, it mostly pointed out how unfunny Galifianakis is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1115 on: October 26, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
I caught most of Due Date, and felt the same way.  It just wasn't that funny.  I can see how a lot of it was supposed to be funny, with the premise and the wacky stuff that happens, but it just felt forced, not natural at all.  RDJ did a great job playing RDJ, but with him as the straight man, it mostly pointed out how unfunny Galifianakis is.

In addition, if they were attempting to make an updated version of Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, they failed poorly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: October 26, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
I don't think Zach Galifianakis is funny at all.

Correct.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1117 on: October 26, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »

In addition, if they were attempting to make an updated version of Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, they failed poorly.

I thought of that, too.  It's what it seemed like it was trying to be, but it just wasn't funny.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: October 26, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
Spectre.

Fuck yeah.

That is all.

:hat

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1119 on: October 26, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
A Beautiful Mind - Simply beautiful and inspiring. Crowe did a wonderful job and it's the best I've ever seen him. I can't believe I waited this long to see it.

Furious 7 - Fun installment of the series, as usual. I thought it was stronger than 6, but not as good as 5. Great tribute to Paul at the end.