Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554391 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1015 on: October 18, 2015, 01:34:09 AM »
So I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time, and enjoyed it a lot. Didn't expect an action movie to have such a quiet yet intriguing pace, nor it to be several stories connected instead of a big plot with lots of explosions (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay). Time to hunt down another Tarantino movie.

Sounds like you had completely wrong expectations of that film. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1016 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
I wouldn't have considered Pulp Fiction an action movie by any stretch.

That requires things to actually happen. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1017 on: October 18, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
Things happen! Just at a Tarantino pace with lots and lots of words in between. And feet.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: October 18, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Death Proof is fucking shit though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: October 18, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
So I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time, and enjoyed it a lot. Didn't expect an action movie to have such a quiet yet intriguing pace, nor it to be several stories connected instead of a big plot with lots of explosions (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay). Time to hunt down another Tarantino movie.

Watch reservoir dogs and then Django Unchained.

Death proof is utter nonsense and Inglourious Basterds is ok but a bit long.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: October 18, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »
Just saw the first Back to the Future movie, seeing the next two tomorrow. It's been so long since I saw these, so I thought it was time to revisit. I've never been a huge BttF fan, but I've always liked them well enough. I must say it was better than I remembered. Good drama, and the acting and writing really meshes well into some weird but sometimes very real character moments. It was also funnier than I remembered. I mean, I always knew it had a "fun tone", but I laughed more than expected.

I remember always thinking II was my favorite, so we'll see if it still holds up tomorrow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: October 18, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
Just saw the first Back to the Future movie.

:o :o :o :eek :eek :eek

It's been so long since I saw these, so I thought it was time to revisit.

:) :) :) :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1022 on: October 18, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
Just re-watched Shutter Island.

Its a film that I really enjoy

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1023 on: October 18, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Beasts Of No Nation with Irdis Elba. Right now a Netflix exclusive and in some theaters.

Holy shit. Powerful movie. Really heartbreaking and infuriating and dumbfounding. One of those movies that isn't for the faint of heart or that you'll particularly enjoy by the end, but is worth a watch if you want to feel something.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1024 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
Has anybody seen Crimson Peak yet?! Sooo good. I've heard about others being disappointed because they were expecting some sort of hardcore horror movie, but I don't think it was ever presented that way. It's just gorgeous and creepy and wonderful. I wouldn't expect anything else from Guillermo  :biggrin:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1025 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
I ended up at a drive in last night for a horror triple feature. Saw, Texas Chainsaw massacre (2003), and hostel. I had seen all of these before but I thought it would be fun to see them on a big screen.

R. Lee Ermeys performance in TCM is IMO one of the most underrated performances in horror. He was great in every scene he's in.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: October 19, 2015, 01:33:01 AM »
Has anybody seen Crimson Peak yet?!

Not yet, but I really to, the trailer looked really cool! Don't know if I'll have the time to see it in theaters though, so might be I'll have to wait for the bluray.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1027 on: October 19, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
Didn't expect an action movie to have such a quiet yet intriguing pace, nor it to be several stories connected instead of a big plot with lots of explosions (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay).
It's not an action movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1028 on: October 19, 2015, 11:04:41 AM »
Mad Max Fury road YouTube reviewS! :lol

GOOD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46ygmCcjTg
BETTER...MONEY! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Qp4SvJ5VQ
 :tup
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:10:55 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1029 on: October 19, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Finished the Back to the Future movies earlier today. I think the first one's my new favorite, although with the second one not far behind. The third movie had some weird moments in it that makes it the least good of the three, but it was still fun.

Also saw Jaws for the first time today. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was tense, and most of the characters were well written, with some good dialogue. Brody and Hooper were good, I liked those guys. Quint was annoying though, and so was the mayor. And I get that the mayor was supposed to be, but I just don't buy the man being so stupid, so that brought the movie down a bit. Also, I found Hooper's decision to suddenly go into the water to "just check something real quick". No, there's a massive killer shark in these very waters, and you can check things when you tow it back to land. But whatever, cool jumpscare

I also found the score made for some tonal inconsistencies. Overall though, I thought it was a good movie, just not "one of the best of all time" or anything.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1030 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »
Grosse Pointe Blank. Directed and soundtracked like a 90s action movie though the comedy moments made me think it was a little self aware of the fact that it was a 90s action movie. Really enjoyable though, 7/10.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1031 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
Just watched tombstone for the first time  :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1032 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Pixels.

Some cool/humorous bits, but a lot of things that I didn't like aswell. The way they handled the cheating aspect pissed me off. This movie had a lot of potential to be a cult classic but instead it's just another crappy Hollywood comedy.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1033 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »

Dunno why I thought it'd be a pretty epic action movie. Not disappointed tho.

Didn't expect an action movie to have such a quiet yet intriguing pace, nor it to be several stories connected instead of a big plot with lots of explosions (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay).
Now that I think a bit more about it, you might be right - how would you classify it?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1034 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »
The Martian was great, as simple as that!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1035 on: October 20, 2015, 12:07:40 AM »
finally saw Jurassic World.

what a waste of time.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: October 20, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »

what a waste of time.
Kind of like, Mad Max Fury Road was?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1037 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:01 AM »
Not even close. :lol

Jurassic World was just plain forgettable. Fury Road was anything but.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1038 on: October 20, 2015, 06:35:12 AM »
Re watched Seven for the first time in years. Top 10 film for me and easily my favorite ending.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1039 on: October 20, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »

what a waste of time.
Kind of like, Mad Max Fury Road was?

haven't seen Fury Road, but when I do I'll let you know.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1040 on: October 20, 2015, 08:39:15 AM »
Now that I think a bit more about it, you might be right - how would you classify it?
It's a Tarantino movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
Speaking of Tarantino, saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time last night. Didn't love it to be honest. As usual, the dialogue is awesome, and the characters are great. But I didn't feel the story of the movie played out in a satisfying way. I'm not saying it should have had a happy ending or anything, but I just felt that the story led pretty much nowhere.

But like I said, the characters were great, so it wasn't bad, but I do think it's my least favorite Tarantino movie so far.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1042 on: October 20, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
How is this thread the same as my movie chat thread? It isn't. I want to discuss movies good and bad and have dialogue on them. Not just mention what movie I watched last.
How is that the same?
For example, if I want to say...The Matrix was an awful movie this thread hardly seems the proper place to say it?
But thanks for closing my thread so I can't discuss movies in general and not just the last one I watched. :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1043 on: October 20, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
The first Matrix was incredible.  The next 2, not so much.  Just average.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1044 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
Ohhh boy... It is the same. We've had plenty of lasting discussions on a single film (or even a series, or a couple different films, or a certain director, etc), debating the popularity of it, whether people think it's as popular as it should be, whether it's too popular, whether the CGI is good or not, whether there was enough cleavage, how much it sucked, how much it was awesome, etc. That is the point of the thread. You discuss a movie you watched, and people feed off of it and expand. You used your thread to randomly bash (again, please don't take this as me caring whether you hate the film or not, I don't, I didn't like the way you went about it) and hardly discussed at all, only to berate people for discussing it...(and in my case making stuff up and putting words in my mouth) "I hate the movie! No one will change my opinion! It sucks! Bourbon and Mets!" (not an exact quote but pretty damn close) is not a discussion. I'm sure this is coming off more confrontational than I want it to, so apologies if it is, but damn if it isn't annoying. Also, we've discussed films that we've seen before over and over, or films rewatched...y'know... Pretty sure Hef locked it because you CAN discuss all of that stuff that was in that thread in this one. Like I'm about to do! Like King just did!

Speaking of Tarantino, saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time last night. Didn't love it to be honest. As usual, the dialogue is awesome, and the characters are great. But I didn't feel the story of the movie played out in a satisfying way. I'm not saying it should have had a happy ending or anything, but I just felt that the story led pretty much nowhere.

But like I said, the characters were great, so it wasn't bad, but I do think it's my least favorite Tarantino movie so far.

I feel the same. I didn't love it all that much but it did have great dialogue, although I couldn't agree more on the ending; unsatisfying is a good word for it. I don't need my endings to always be packaged all nice and neat for me, but something about it felt dropped and I can't quite explain what. Like you said though, per norm for a Tarantino movie, the characters were fun. Now, as for it being my least favorite Tarantino film...that honor goes to Death Proof. That movie truly didn't feel like a Tarantino film to me and more like a film that was trying and failing to imitate one.

RIP DTP.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1045 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
I really enjoyed the first Matrix film. I fell asleep with 15 minutes to go in the second and never bothered finishing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1046 on: October 20, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
Ohhh boy... It is the same. We've had plenty of lasting discussions on a single film (or even a series, or a couple different films, or a certain director, etc), debating the popularity of it, whether people think it's as popular as it should be, whether it's too popular, whether the CGI is good or not, whether there was enough cleavage, how much it sucked, how much it was awesome, etc. That is the point of the thread. You discuss a movie you watched, and people feed off of it and expand. You used your thread to randomly bash (again, please don't take this as me caring whether you hate the film or not, I don't, I didn't like the way you went about it) and hardly discussed at all, only to berate people for discussing it...(and in my case making stuff up and putting words in my mouth) "I hate the movie! No one will change my opinion! It sucks! Bourbon and Mets!" (not an exact quote but pretty damn close) is not a discussion. I'm sure this is coming off more confrontational than I want it to, so apologies if it is, but damn if it isn't annoying. Also, we've discussed films that we've seen before over and over, or films rewatched...y'know... Pretty sure Hef locked it because you CAN discuss all of that stuff that was in that thread in this one. Like I'm about to do! Like King just did!

Bourbon and the Mets...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1047 on: October 20, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
It's beautiful. It's unfolding before your eyes, Tick.

Oh and I didn't like the first Matrix all that much either, so there ya go! I thought it was a great way to usher in a new era of people moving slow to dodge bullets, but that's about it. Kidding...kinda. It was a superb use of technology at the time and it actually did usher in a new era of CGI and was more or less a geeky tech-driven film for the masses and yet people who wanted to get WAY too into it could if they wanted, so it was a great film for all different types. It ends there, for me though. I watched the other two films but I couldn't tell you for the life of me what happened in them. Again though, it was important for the film industry at the time though, I really think.

Bourbon and the Mets...

:tup  :heart
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:46:52 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: October 20, 2015, 01:28:57 PM »

I feel the same. I didn't love it all that much but it did have great dialogue, although I couldn't agree more on the ending; unsatisfying is a good word for it. I don't need my endings to always be packaged all nice and neat for me, but something about it felt dropped and I can't quite explain what. Like you said though, per norm for a Tarantino movie, the characters were fun. Now, as for it being my least favorite Tarantino film...that honor goes to Death Proof. That movie truly didn't feel like a Tarantino film to me and more like a film that was trying and failing to imitate one.

Haven't even seen Death Proof, but with all the things I keep hearing about it, I'm not sure I will. It might happen at one point, but right now I have no plans to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: October 20, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »
I regretted it. One of the worst things i've ever seen by anyone.