Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554384 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #980 on: October 04, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »
I was going to mention the same, Orcus. I mean, usually I would, but Orby apparently hated it so much it made him angry.  :lol Which is fine, I know it's an odd movie, there's some insanely ridiculous shit going on, and while I didn't think the premise was so absolutely crazy that it just made me throw the movie out the window, it's certainly out there. I think the movie is most definitely a blend of fantasy and sci/fi, I mean it's pretty obvious that it's not attempting in any way to make a semi-realistic situation and push the boundaries like a lot of sci/fi, it just straight up throws you in this crazy world and says 'go'. While I didn't think the acting was amazing, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as you made it sound, Orby; but again, to each their own and you saw what you saw and like what you like. I didn't think it deserved any Oscars or anything, but I've seen and can think of tens of handfuls of other movies that make this one look Oscar-worthy; mainly I just focused on Evans' and Song's character (both whom I adore so that helped immensely with me liking the movie...I especially love Song).

Either way, clearly it didn't do it for you so...onto the next!

I watched a really touching film tonight on Netflix called The Story of Luke. Very funny at times, very sad at others, and mostly a heart-tugging drama with some funny moments sprinkled in between. I think this is a movie I probably wouldn't have liked much before I met my friends' kids. It's a story about a man with a type of autism, specifically Asperger's disease, and what looks to be a fairly moderate form of it. Now, my lil 5-year-old buddy I've spoken of a few times on here has Asperger's, though a very mild form, but I can now relate to the movie in a way that I absolutely would have been ignorant of before. Honestly, the film itself, while funny at times and again, heart-string-tugging at others, is still pretty good and I might sit through it before; but now that I've experienced the things I have with him, I enjoyed it much more and could relate in a way I couldn't have in the past. It's just one of those funny little realizations in a small moment in life, just watching a simple movie, that made me choke up a good bit... Made me realize how much I've changed over the years... For the better.

I digress, apologies. All in all, a pretty neat film that had its moments. If you don't relate or can't, it's still a good drama with some funny bits; if you can and know the situation the main character is in, it's even better and a realistic, good insight into the world of an autistic man with a shitload of heart. Definitely a film that, in the past, I'd look at and go "FUCK THAT SHIT, THAT'S MADE TO MAKE YOU CRY!" (except it wouldn't)...and it totally is. And I did. So fuckin' A.  :lol

Ed: Just realized something too. You know the douchebag dad from Jim Carrey's Liar Liar? His ex-wife's new husband? He's in this and he is an even bigger douchebag and a complete asshole. I haven't seen him in any other movie since that one.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:38:38 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
Carey Elwes ? He's in Hot Shots and The Princess Bride.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #982 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »
Ohh I forgot about The Princess Bride. Never seen Hot Shots. But holy hell I just IMDB'd the dude and he really is still going fairly strong... I didn't even realize that was him in the first Saw. Whoa! He's easy to miss for me apparently... :lol I STILL just see him as the douchebag dad.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #983 on: October 05, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
How is he a douchebag in Liar Liar?  I mean, he is kind of a dork, but his character was not a douchebag just because he was dating the main character's ex-wife.  And the main character was much more of a douchebag (look at how he always ignored his kid for years).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #984 on: October 05, 2015, 05:59:51 PM »
 :lol Holy crap. I thought he was a douchebag. That should be the end of it but uh...I'll expand. I didn't think he was a douchebag in a SUPER SERIOUS way, but the way he was with the kid, the way he attempted to be the 'cool dad' that Carrey's character was towards the kid when he was with him (Elwes trying to imitate "THE HAND", that's the main scene that pops up in my mind that just screams douchebag). Maybe our definition of douchebag is different. Maybe we saw different movies (it's uh...not a tiny coincidence that in the end Carrey ends up back with the family and all is well).

Also, I'm not sure where you got that I thought he was a douchebag because he was dating the main character's ex wife. That came out of your ass. Carrey's character was a douchebag for a completely different reason in that while he was a bad person at times towards others and *GASP* lied, on the other hand was a great dad when he was there (as stated by the wife numerous times in the movie while Carrey was trying to get his shit together). Maybe 'douchebag' to you is some horrible, end-all insult. I see it as a pretty malleable insult in that it can mean you're really being a truly shitty fucktard (See: the entire cast of Jersey Shore) or you're just being a goofball who is failing at trying way too hard to be cool (See: Elwes' character).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:26:04 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #985 on: October 05, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
They always try to make other love interests somewhat unlikeable in these movies because they don't want you to like them simply because they oppose the main character. And so you don't feel bad when they just ditch them as quickly as possible at some point. See 2012. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #986 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
:lol Holy crap. I thought he was a douchebag. That should be the end of it but uh...I'll expand. I didn't think he was a douchebag in a SUPER SERIOUS way, but the way he was with the kid, the way he attempted to be the 'cool dad' that Carrey's character was towards the kid when he was with him (Elwes trying to imitate "THE HAND", that's the main scene that pops up in my mind that just screams douchebag). Maybe our definition of douchebag is different. Maybe we saw different movies (it's uh...not a tiny coincidence that in the end Carrey ends up back with the family and all is well).

Also, I'm not sure where you got that I thought he was a douchebag because he was dating the main character's ex wife. That came out of your ass. Carrey's character was a douchebag for a completely different reason in that while he was a bad person at times towards others and *GASP* lied, on the other hand was a great dad when he was there (as stated by the wife numerous times in the movie while Carrey was trying to get his shit together). Maybe 'douchebag' to you is some horrible, end-all insult. I see it as a pretty malleable insult in that it can mean you're really being a truly shitty fucktard (See: the entire cast of Jersey Shore) or you're just being a goofball who is failing at trying way too hard to be cool (See: Elwes' character).

What you just described is a dork, not a douchebag.

Also, Carrey ending up back with the family was a predictable, yet completely unrealistic, finish to a comedy. 

Like BD said, they often try to make the love interest who opposes the main character not likable, and in this case, they made him a dork, not a d-bag.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #987 on: October 05, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
Okie dokie! Still thought he was a douchebag.

I watched Sanctum again, only second time seeing it... What a gorgeous, intense film. I love the ocean but it scares the living hell out of me. I love caves and they scare the living hell out of me. So this movie was pretty much my worst nightmare when I saw it in theaters. It was a lot less claustrophobia-inducing for me watching it at home, but I still got dem goosebumps from time to time. I really like the movie despite all that though and I suppose it did its job in that regard. Reed Richards...you bastard!  :lol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:06:02 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #988 on: October 06, 2015, 03:16:06 AM »
Just saw The Martian. Amazing film that does justice to the book. Both the film and book did a good job of boiling down complicated science to the layman's level. Also, the visuals/cinematography of the film were amazing.

Not 100% scientifically accurate for sure but still one of Hollywood's best attempts at showing what it would really be like to travel to and live on Mars.

Edit: Here's a great article that I recommend everyone who's seen the film and/or read the book check out:
https://space.io9.com/science-of-the-martian-the-good-the-bad-and-the-fasc-1734726471
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:50:44 AM by adace »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #989 on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Everest - I really liked Everest, as it had a great cast that kept it really engaging. It was slower paced than I expected, but that's probably one of its strengths, as I'm glad it wasn't a typical flashy disaster film. 8/10

Frank - Very obscure film, and very funny. Probably Fassbender's strangest role I've seen yet, and the movie really does leave a good feeling in your heart when it's all said and done. 8.5/10

Good Will Hunting - Damn. Finally saw this in one sitting and it hit me with so much force. I got really sad because it made me realize how much I miss Robin Williams. His best role I've ever seen and Matt Damon is incredible as well. I haven't seen many movies this good, and this well definitely become one of my all-time favorites. 10/10, no doubt.

Oh, and I already mentioned that I've seen this but I ought to give it a rating:

Snowpiercer - Very unique film, Chris Evans is remarkable and it kept me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time. I love the setting and the atmosphere of this movie, and it really made me feel like I needed a shower :lol  9/10

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
Watching some "oldies" lately:
Butch Casisdy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
The Great Escape
and... Fletch which was hilarious

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #991 on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting

Two of my all-time faves right there.  Newman and Redford were so awesome together.  I don't own a lot of movies, but these are two of them.

The Great Escape

Another classic.  Great film.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #992 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
Everest - I really liked Everest, as it had a great cast that kept it really engaging. It was slower paced than I expected, but that's probably one of its strengths, as I'm glad it wasn't a typical flashy disaster film. 8/10

Frank - Very obscure film, and very funny. Probably Fassbender's strangest role I've seen yet, and the movie really does leave a good feeling in your heart when it's all said and done. 8.5/10

Good Will Hunting - Damn. Finally saw this in one sitting and it hit me with so much force. I got really sad because it made me realize how much I miss Robin Williams. His best role I've ever seen and Matt Damon is incredible as well. I haven't seen many movies this good, and this well definitely become one of my all-time favorites. 10/10, no doubt.

Oh, and I already mentioned that I've seen this but I ought to give it a rating:

Snowpiercer - Very unique film, Chris Evans is remarkable and it kept me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time. I love the setting and the atmosphere of this movie, and it really made me feel like I needed a shower :lol  9/10

I really loved Frank! I had absolutely no idea it was Fassbender till the end, I watched it with a friend knowing nothing about it and that made it that much better. Really odd and made me kind of nervous in a weird way. Glad you enjoyed Snowpiercer: DOSE ENERGY BARS DOE!!  :lol  :eek

I still need to see Everest, it looked pretty good but I was worried it'd be the usual BS disaster flick but with a crazy good cast. I've been fooled more than a few times by a movie that looked kinda odd or just bad but it had a good cast so I watched it and ended up being disappointed. I haven't caught a disaster-esque flick in a while though, I'll hafta check it out soon.

RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #993 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »
While Everest is a disaster film, I don't quite feel comfortable putting it in that category considering all the other movies of that genre. Everest just feels different and more mature than pretty much all of them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #994 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »
Not sure I would classify Everest as a disaster film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #995 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
I think it is, I mean, technically, but I don't see it as one either.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #996 on: October 11, 2015, 01:35:31 AM »
Howl's Moving Castle. Pretty disappointed with this one - felt too child-ish, and the story is kind of vague and has lots of twists, which most don't make much sense. Charismatic characters tho, and lots of imagination everywhere. I guess this is just not my thing. I'll still give other movies by this studio a chance anyways.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #997 on: October 11, 2015, 02:50:34 AM »
Well, Studio Ghibli is basically the Japanese version of Disney, many of their films are intended for a younger audience (and if not, then PG13 at most). But I'd recommend Princess Mononoke, more than likely their most popular work; Tales from Earthsea; Spirited Away (my personal favorite); and the one film that probably isn't best for a younger audience (though still very much so can be seen by some, it's a great message but is just heartbreaking) Grave Of The Fireflies.

I haven't seen some of their films for a while so many some other ones came out that are more suited to a bit older audience, but yeah, Howl is one a few that are more suited for an even younger audience than the others.

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #998 on: October 11, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
I just watched the documentary Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession. Wow, really fascinating, and the story of the programming director Jerry Harvey is very sad/tragic (he was obviously mentally ill and ended up killing his wife/himself). I had no idea this TV station ever existed or the story behind it, but the doc made me want to hunt down a lot of old movies that look awesome. I think any film lover would appreciate this movie.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZeFFKceeU
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: October 12, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »
Well, Studio Ghibli is basically the Japanese version of Disney, many of their films are intended for a younger audience (and if not, then PG13 at most). But I'd recommend Princess Mononoke, more than likely their most popular work; Tales from Earthsea; Spirited Away (my personal favorite); and the one film that probably isn't best for a younger audience (though still very much so can be seen by some, it's a great message but is just heartbreaking) Grave Of The Fireflies.
Noted  :tup

Watched The Great Dictator. Enjoyed it quite a lot - Chaplin was a fantastic actor.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1000 on: October 12, 2015, 06:17:33 PM »
The Alamo had a Goodfellas dinner last night so a few friends and I went. I hadn't seen it in years and it was some new restoration, so that was cool. Just as great as I remember! Pesci  :heart
The food was okay (caprese salad, olive tapenade with garlic and bread, pasta, tiramisu) but the whole experience just made me miss NJ  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: October 12, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

Watched The Great Dictator. Enjoyed it quite a lot - Chaplin was a fantastic actor.

never watch The Dictator starring Sacha Baron Cohen. It's terrible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1002 on: October 13, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
The Alamo had a Goodfellas dinner last night so a few friends and I went. I hadn't seen it in years and it was some new restoration, so that was cool. Just as great as I remember! Pesci  :heart
The food was okay (caprese salad, olive tapenade with garlic and bread, pasta, tiramisu) but the whole experience just made me miss NJ  :lol
That sounds awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1003 on: October 13, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
It was! I like their events a lot.. if only it weren't so fucking far away from where I live.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1004 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »
Didn't catch Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater, but watched the Blu-ray over the weekend.  Fun movie.  Typical Marvel flick, plenty of action, tied together with just enough story to keep it together, and maybe even a little character development.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1005 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
Didn't catch Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater, but watched the Blu-ray over the weekend.  Fun movie.  Typical Marvel flick, plenty of action, tied together with just enough story to keep it together, and maybe even a little character development.
I did see it in theaters, but actually liked it more after seeing it on blu-ray.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1006 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
How so?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1007 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
How so?
After seeing it at the theater, it seemed a little scattershot and not deep enough to root the cast of thousands.

I changed my mind after watching at home.  The depth and character development is there.  It's hiding under the explosions.

I still don't think it is as good as the first Avengers film, but it is pretty friggin' good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1008 on: October 13, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
I figured it might be something like that.  There's a lot of characters, to the point where no one gets much screen time, and the ones that got a little more than the others were mostly ones I personally didn't care as much about.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1009 on: October 16, 2015, 05:48:27 AM »
Saw Pixels yesterday. Dont know why everybody´s dumping all over that movie. I laughed my ass off all the time. Yes it´s stupid, but you know what? I like a stupid movie once in a while. Plus Peter Dinklage is great in it. So there.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1010 on: October 16, 2015, 06:19:54 AM »
Saw Pixels yesterday. Dont know why everybody´s dumping all over that movie. I laughed my ass off all the time. Yes it´s stupid, but you know what? I like a stupid movie once in a while. Plus Peter Dinklage is great in it. So there.

I'm biased... my son was an extra in it.  Decent is about as good as I could describe it.  Lots of nostalgia, that's for sure.  I really liked Josh Gad's character.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: October 17, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Just watched Tremors 5. Yes. 5.

It was alright. I thought it would be awful but I enjoyed it enough. Some nice camerawork.

First reaction - I'd place it 3rd overall. So 3/5

First Two Tremors movies can't be beaten.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1012 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
Broke into the wrong god damn rec room didn't you  :rollin

didn't even know there was a 5.

Love 1 & 2  :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:47 PM »
Broke into the wrong god damn rec room didn't you  :rollin

didn't even know there was a 5.

Love 1 & 2  :heart

Burt Gummer is the only original character in it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: October 18, 2015, 01:12:23 AM »
So I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time, and enjoyed it a lot. Didn't expect an action movie to have such a quiet yet intriguing pace, nor it to be several stories connected instead of a big plot with lots of explosions (I'm looking at you, Michael Bay). Time to hunt down another Tarantino movie.