Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554528 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #910 on: September 22, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
I want to see Battleship. it looks like fun.

But is it really self-aware with it's ridiculousness or is it actively trying to be another badass Transformers wannabe ?

If it's the former i'll definitely enjoy it.

However - having said that - Sharknado is obviously VERY self-aware and I hated that. I think there's a line between wanting to be a cult hit and just being knowingly cheesy and fun.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #911 on: September 22, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
I REALLY like Battleship. Thought I was the only one!

For me, the big problems are all the goofballs on land trying to disrupt the aliens at the satellite station.  That should have been cleaned up.

But all the stuff at sea is gold, and I watch it almost every time I catch it channel surfing.

What goofballs on land?  I was too busy gawking at Brooklyn Decker.
The guys with her.

Definitely nothing wrong with her.

I don't think it is "self-aware."  It is intending to be a fun action movie, not ridiculous on purpose.

Most of the ridiculous parts come from the aforementioned land-based parts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #912 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Re-watched the Naked Gun trilogy. Still great movies. I wish they made comedies like this today, but unfortunately they don't. Even though there's plenty of moments that are incredibly dumb and overblown, there's still a lot of clever writing. Almost every scene has something funny, and Leslie Nielsen is just great. I also love how I view these movies different now, compared to when I was 7-8 when I first saw them. A lot of the jokes I didn't understand back then make sense now, but there were also things that worked and made it funny for a child as well.

Some of these lines were jokes I did not understand 15 years ago, but now they are just gold:

"The doctors say he has a 50/50 chance of living, but even that is only a 10% chance"

"Cuban?" -"No, I'm Dutch-Irish. My father was from Wales"

And in the second movie when Frank meets Jane for the first time in years:

"How are the children?"
-"We didn't have any"
"Oh.. right."

I don't know, something about these movies just puts a smile on my face. Same with the Hot Shots movies. This was back when spoofing was done good, and now just thinking at all the Scary Movies, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie etc, it all just went downhill.

what made these films and the original Airplane! movie so good is everyone played it straight for the most part.  when they started mugging for the camera and tried being funny is when it derails.  Neilsen was great when these started but fell victim to this over time.

definitely check out the old Police Squad television shows if you haven't.  I think they only made 6 episodes but it was the basis for the Naked Gun movies.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: September 22, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Who are You??  How did you get in here ??

I'm a locksmith..... And, i'm a locksmith.

One of the best jokes is when Drebin is rooting through the drawer of a suspect and stops and says proudly " Bingo ! " and pulls out a bingo card. :rollin

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #914 on: September 22, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »
Snowpiercer. Love it. Has a great story, great acting, and a ton of badass scenes. Chris Evans did great!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #915 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »
Awesome film, one of my favorites in the past few years.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #916 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
Snowpiercer. Love it. Has a great story, great acting, and a ton of badass scenes. Chris Evans did great!
Still need to catch that one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #917 on: September 22, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Still need to catch that one.

I like it for its originality, felt really fresh. It's a bit eccentric so I can see people disliking it, but it's a fun ride.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #918 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
Black Mass. Johnny Depp's best role in many years. He is incredible in this, as well as Joel Edgerton

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #919 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:14 PM »
Snowpiercer was really cool. And fun, despite it being so "dark".

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #920 on: September 23, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »
I don't know if anyone seen this but it's a nice way of getting pumped for The Martian:

ARES: live
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #921 on: September 27, 2015, 08:34:31 AM »
Saw two movies this weekend I haven't seen before. The first was the new film Everest, which I really enjoyed. Striking story, good acting. For some reason however, I did expect it to be an oscar contender type movie, but I don't quite feel like it reached those levels. And also, if anyone is thinking about seeing this in theaters, see the 2D version. There are a few scenes which are rather dimly lit, and with 3D on top of that making it even darker, it could get pretty confusing at times. I wouldn't say the 3D is necessary for the movie experience in this case anyways, so just see it in 2D.

The other one was Big Hero 6, which was also awesome. There were some clumsy exposition and a few weird moments with the villain, but other than that this movie was great! The best scene for me was when Hero pulled the healthcare chip out of Baymax and told him to terminate the bad guy. The music, Baymax with red eyes being really frightening, and the way all the friends tried to stop him was awesome. One of my favorite scenes in an animated movie.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #922 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »
I would like to see Everest.

Big Hero 6 was a really fun film.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #923 on: September 28, 2015, 07:41:24 AM »
Yeah I'll probably go check Everest out this weekend. Definitely has a great cast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: September 28, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
I would like to see Everest.

Big Hero 6 was a really fun film.

Big Hero 6 was surprisingly great. I loved it. I haven't laughed that much at a "comedy" in ages. And the visuals were fantastic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #925 on: September 28, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
I wasted a couple hours of my life and stayed up too late and lost sleep watching 'The Watch'. that dumb Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn movie. I have no idea why I didn't turn it off but I got to the point where I had already wasted so much time on it I figured I should see it out.....such a dumb movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #926 on: September 28, 2015, 10:41:51 PM »
Big Hero 6 was great!

Anyway, I just watched a creepy movie called Goodnight Mommy... basically it's about these twin boys whose mom comes home after some facial reconstruction surgery and they are suspicious about whether it's actually her. It was visually great. Plot-wise it started out very slow, which I don't necessarily mind but there were some points where I was getting a bit bored. The second half, which was extremely fucked up, mostly made up for that. I won't give anything away but worth a watch.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online faizoff

« Reply #927 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »
Fast 5 followed by Furious 6. I thought the last 3 movies (4,5 & 6) were fantastic with 5 being my favorite of them all. So far the only one I've actively hated was the 2nd one. All others were worth watching.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
Fast 6 ? Furious 7 ?

They should call the next one The Hateful 8 .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: September 30, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Oh I just remembered. Did I mention this already ?

I watched Aranofsky's Noah recently and my God it was boring. Just dismal, dull and dark. No levity in the entire film. Just blahhhhhhh.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #930 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Saw some news about the Fast and Furious franshise the other day. The article headline began "Vin Diesel confirms there will be one last..." and I thought "oh yeah, one last movie again?", then I saw that the rest of the headline was "... trilogy". I laughed.

I watched Aranofsky's Noah recently and my God it was boring. Just dismal, dull and dark. No levity in the entire film. Just blahhhhhhh.

Being boring was the least of that movie's problem. They made the entire thing so silly. There could have been some good drama if they'd just went with the original story, especially with Aronofsky directing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #931 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »
I think the first half of Noah was great but the 2nd half was dull.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
Saw some news about the Fast and Furious franshise the other day. The article headline began "Vin Diesel confirms there will be one last..." and I thought "oh yeah, one last movie again?", then I saw that the rest of the headline was "... trilogy". I laughed.

Ten films is a trilogy now ? :P

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #933 on: September 30, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Huh?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: September 30, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
I don't see how you can call it a trilogy when they're connected to the previous 7 films.

It's more like a Decalogy or something.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #935 on: September 30, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
The three final films will all have something in common, and Vin calls them a "trilogy" which to me implies that they will have a continuous story arc.  Though they'll ultimately be part of a larger series of films, there's nothing wrong with referring to the final three films as a trilogy in their own right.

For example, I've seen Star Trek II, III, and IV referred to as a trilogy.  III picks up right where II left off, and IV picks up from III.  Then V goes off in a different direction.  Although II, III, and IV stand alone pretty well and are part of a bigger series, those three films also go together and can be referred to as a trilogy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #936 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
I don't see how you can call it a trilogy when they're connected to the previous 7 films.

It's more like a Decalogy or something.

Okay, "three movies" then. What they're referred to as was hardly the point.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #937 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
The three final films will all have something in common, and Vin calls them a "trilogy" which to me implies that they will have a continuous story arc.  Though they'll ultimately be part of a larger series of films, there's nothing wrong with referring to the final three films as a trilogy in their own right.

For example, I've seen Star Trek II, III, and IV referred to as a trilogy.  III picks up right where II left off, and IV picks up from III.  Then V goes off in a different direction.  Although II, III, and IV stand alone pretty well and are part of a bigger series, those three films also go together and can be referred to as a trilogy.
This, FFS.

Not to mention the Star Wars saga being divided into the OT (Original Trilogy) and the PT (Prequel Trilogy).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2015, 02:38:08 AM »
Anyone seen The Walk? I was very fascinated by the documentary and heard some reports of dizziness and other symtomps while watching the movie. I don't like heights but I really wanna see this mostly because i'm very fascinated by the story but also to have a sense how it's like doing something like that at that height.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #939 on: October 02, 2015, 02:50:46 AM »
I'm deathly afraid of heights in certain situations...usually just whenever I'm not confident that I'll not fall. The usual stuff like vertigo (if I'm on top of a building I won't even go anywhere near the edge, and I'm not talking like...'near' it...I mean I'll stay smack fuckin' dab in the middle of the roof  :lol Fuck the view, I don't wanna piss my pants) and if I'm on a really high ladder, I'll start shaking a little bit. But I'm still interested in the movie simply because of the fact that it'd be cool to feel that feeling and just know that I'm safe. In that regard, I'd like to go see it in Imax so maybe I can feel that great feeling of warm, wet urine running down my leg. Y'know!?  :lol But really, I'd love to see it, I just know that if it's filmed a certain way, I'll end up breaking the seat cause I'll be grabbing it like I'm about to actually fall.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: October 02, 2015, 03:06:03 AM »
It's on my to-see-in-2015 list. I'm a fan of JGL... and that he's in it is pretty much all I know about it, and the very basics of the premise. I don't watch trailers for movies that I already know I want to see, so haven't seen anything from this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #941 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12:03 AM »
It's on my to-see-in-2015 list. I'm a fan of JGL... and that he's in it is pretty much all I know about it, and the very basics of the premise. I don't watch trailers for movies that I already know I want to see, so haven't seen anything from this.
I highly recommend you see the doc. Man On Wire either before or after.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #942 on: October 02, 2015, 06:54:06 AM »
Zombie Hunter. Danny Trejo is on the cover, so it stands to reason that Danny Trejo is actually the main character of the movie, and not just two wasted minutes in the middle. Not a single other redeeming quality to the movie, so I gave up with 20 minutes left. Not even so bad it's good, it was just plain bad.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: October 02, 2015, 07:43:17 AM »
I am tempted to see The Martian tonight in 2 digitals. I know It's Ridley Scott but really can't be arsed with 3D even though Prometheus was great in that regard.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #944 on: October 02, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »
If Ridley Scott and Matt Damon weren't involved, I would have been interested in it based on the premise. I've hated everything I've seen by Ridley Scott, and I can't stand Matt Damon's face. :lol

/kotowboy
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.