Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554568 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #770 on: August 26, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
Just saw Hercules, the movie from last year with the Rock in it. Some spoilers below, if you care.

I enjoyed it. I don't know how much of a good movie it is, but it was definetely a fun one, worth it's time. But there was one scene that was truly great, or at least the build-up of that particular scene. When the princess is brought to be beheaded, that was some serious emotional stuff, and some serious acting by Rebecca Ferguson (the chick in the last Mission Impossible movie). Her pleas for mercy for herself and her some were really striking because of her acting. She might one of my new favorite actresses. I might have wished for the scene to have ended a bit differently (maybe George RR Martin has scarred me that way), but was still a good and intense scene.
Good to hear.  I haven't caught it yet, but I saw that it is on Netflix.  I'll try to catch it soon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #771 on: August 26, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
Dracula Untold. I love Luke Evans, but this was not a good movie. It had some cool elements to it, so it wasn't bad, it was just a bit mediocre.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #772 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »
John Wick was awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #773 on: August 27, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #774 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »
I actually enjoyed Jupiter Ascending. . . :lol

Despite the fact that it was completely daft and silly and Eddie Redmayne was beyond panto.

I wasn't bored at any point or annoyed.
I quite enjoyed Jupiter Ascending more than I should have, just for the fact that it looked absolutely gorgeous. Despite the daft script and all.

I tend to be very very easy going on movies, even though they're very slighted I enjoy the Wachowski's movies. I love all the Matrix movies, Speed Racer was nostalgic fun, Cloud Atlas was intriguing and interesting (oddly enough still haven't seen Bound) So I don't have a problem with their vision or style or anything really. But this movie had nothing going for it, I really couldn't care about anything. Nothing made sense. It felt like the Divergent movie which I loathed.

On another note watched What we do in the Shadows last night, absolutely hilarious. Had no idea what kind of movie it was and really really enjoyed it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #775 on: August 29, 2015, 09:08:43 AM »
was on vacation earlier this week and saw Ant Man at a drive-in theater with the wife and kid.  had never been to a drive-in theater in my 40+ years and highly recommend the experience to all.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #776 on: August 29, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
Yeah, drive-ins are awesome.  Been to 'em many times, including with the kids a few years ago while on vacation.  I highly second the recommendation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #777 on: August 29, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Get Shorty.

Still a fantastic flick.  It has the perfect blend of drama and comedy, and with some great acting, especially from Gene Hackman. Even Travolta is really good in it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
I've still never seen that one!

Speaking of drive-ins, I will be going to one soon and pumped. Haven't done it since last year.

I had a bad movie marathon last night with some friends in celebration of my six-year Denversary, with this:

Omg. Seven or so hours of pure hilarity :rollin
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #779 on: August 30, 2015, 04:43:11 AM »
Get Shorty.

Still a fantastic flick.  It has the perfect blend of drama and comedy, and with some great acting, especially from Gene Hackman. Even Travolta is really good in it.
Yeah, that is a fun, fun movie.

I had a bad movie marathon last night with some friends in celebration of my six-year Denversary, with this:

Omg. Seven or so hours of pure hilarity :rollin
I am praying for you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #780 on: August 30, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »
Heat.

Never saw it until last night. Wow, what a classic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
Jackie, go see Get Shorty right away!

FlyingBIZKIT, Heat is definitely most awesome.  It's long, but I like how we see a lot of the backstory on all of the major characters and how their professional lives affect their personal lives, instead of being your typical suspense/action flick where that kind of stuff is glossed over.  Great storytelling, and as a big De Niro fan, I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite 3-4 movies of his, along with Goodfellas, Godfather II and maybe Jackie Brown (where he has a supporting role, as opposed to a lead). 

Before anybody asks, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull I tend to put in the "Phenomenal performance in a good, but not great, film" category.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #782 on: August 30, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »
I saw Shaun The Sheep with my family last week.  It is very good!  Very clever story, funny for both kids and adults.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online faizoff

« Reply #783 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
It Follows. I think I'm really beginning to love these kind of movies where it's a slow burn and things take it's time to setup.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #784 on: August 31, 2015, 01:14:04 AM »
Ant man. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not as good as Avengers, but it's a nice story.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #785 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »
Under the Skin.

Very weird, but powerful. :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Just finished Darren Aranofsky's "Noah"...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #787 on: September 02, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Schindler's List

Holy Shit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: September 02, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
Fair play to Ralph Fiennes. He plays a horrible villain. You hate him so much.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #789 on: September 02, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
Seriously.

Full disclosure: I didn't see the whole thing.  I was actually gonna go to bed, and my wife was watching it.  I sat down to watch a little bit with her, and it was heavy and depressing, and since I was tired I was just gonna blow it off and go to bed, but I couldn't stop watching.  Even though it was heavy and depressing and I was tired.  I came in while he was spraying Jewish prisoners in railroad cars with a hose and the Nazis were teasing him about it.  I have no idea how much of the movie I actually saw.  I heard it was pretty long, and it felt like I watched for a long time, but I don't know.  Still, holy shit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
Also wtf happened to Liam Neeson's career after this ?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #791 on: September 02, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »
Also wtf happened to Liam Neeson's career after this ?!

Um, Kinsey, Batman Begins,  Michael Collins would like to have a word with you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
Fine after those :neverusethis:

Also welcome back , Bender !

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: September 02, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
 :biggrin:

Well the roulette is over so back to my Mexican friend. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #794 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
Yeah, Liam's doing fine, career-wise.  I don't always like the films he's made, but he's been in some really good ones, and he's always awesome.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
He's in a bit of a Geri-action rut at the moment.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: September 02, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
Yeah a little type-cast but he does play that heroic role well.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: September 02, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
I thought he did a good job in The Grey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
Ok Ex_Machina.....wow! That was quite the ride of emotions. The chemistry between Domhnall and Alicia is amazing and Oscar Isaac was spot on in that role. Highly recommend it!

It reminded me of that amazing short film Quantic Dream did a couple of years ago called Kara.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:46:29 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #799 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:28 AM »
Yeah, Ex Machina was great. Great writing and directing when I'm nervous for pretty much the entire movie, even though most of the time nothing but dialogue is really happening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #800 on: September 04, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
I also loved it. The majority of the movie is just the three characters in one building, but it's played so well that you can't wait to see what happens next, especially the Ava interview sessions.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: September 04, 2015, 08:11:38 AM »
Someone gave me a copy of Kingsman and the new Mad Max. I haven't watched Mad Max yet, but I just watched Kingsman.
The plot and progression of the characters was very predictable by numbers, and I didn't like the directing, especially the action sequences, but overall a very enjoyable action movie. I'm not sure the tone of the movie was always right for the level of self awareness, going from serious and dark to light comedy Bond parody, and they were constantly pulling back when they actually pushed it (like letting that dude live on the train tracks which didn't make sense when they were supposed to be so secret, and predictably chickening out on the dog thing as I expect from Hollywood). I was expecting something a little bit extreme than the usual fare based on what I'd heard in this thread, but it was pretty standard stuff, but done well.
I liked the villain character (except for that lisp thing), and how they averted some of the usual tropes, with him hating the sight of blood, and what he did after the church fight scene. The sidekick chick was cool too, reminded me a bit of the sword chick from Tokyo Gore Police.
7-7.5/10

It's too late in the night to start another 2 hour movie, so that shall have to wait until another time. :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #802 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:46 AM »
You won´t regret Mad Max. Movie of the year for me, so far.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: September 05, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »
I certainly didn't regret it. Mad Max was a great action film, and met my expectations. I liked the bleak style of the movie, and the minimal backstory. It just throws you right into the middle of it to absorb it all and accept it as the setting.
As minor nitpicks, Max felt secondary, and they seemed wasteful with water and gas for a post-apocalyptic group in the middle of the desert (I know they were pumping water direct from underground, but it was careless).
That aside, it was very cool. The vehicles and characters were all memorable and kinda cheesy in a good way, like an '80s movie (not sure if the originals were anything like this given that they were in that era). It was relentless, and there wasn't a dull moment.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #804 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »
Monty Python's Life of Brian. Love this movie. It may not be as all out funny as Holy Grail, but it's a far better movie overall, with jokes a lot more clever. And the "Biggus Dickus" scene might be the best comedy scene ever made. So simple, yet so brilliant.

Also saw The Giver from last year. I was really really digging it all the way through, but then the ending happened and I just felt that none of that made any sense. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see how any of that would work.