Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554299 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #735 on: August 17, 2015, 06:26:22 AM »
Birdman. Really enjoyed it. How the hell did Michael Keaton not win the Oscar?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #736 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »

Because Redmayne was equally as good, if not better. Birdman is the better movie though.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #737 on: August 17, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Man of the Year

I watched this for the first time over the weekend. I was expecting a stupid comedy like Head of State with Chris Rock. It had its serious moments and I enjoyed most of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:29 AM »
I'm not seeing it until tomorrow, but hearing Chris Stuckmann compare the new Fantastic Four to Batman and Robin doesn't exactly make me hyped for tomorrow..

Also, this is just ridiculous. Stuckmann is my favorite reviewer, but his Fant4stic review annoyed me. It seemed like the movie somehow personally offended him so he was unable to actually review the movie properly. The sounding that angry about it through the entire review was just weird. I haven't even seen the entire movie Batman & Robin, but there's just no way Fantastic Four is that bad.

I'm actually disappointed in Stuckmann's review. Not in his grade really, more his demeaning tone and words throughout. He's usually not like that. I get that people can have different opinions, but there just seemed to be something else to that video than just "his opinion on the movie". I genuinely don't know why he was so pissed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 17, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »

Because playing a real life person who has a disability is the guaranteed winner.

That Hawking movie was 100% Oscar-bait.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #740 on: August 17, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Not what I was expecting.  From the trailers, I got the impression that this was a light-hearted sendup of the Bond-style spy flicks.  Instead, it was a motherfucking hardcore sendup of the Bond-style spy flicks.  Exploding heads, gruesome deaths, ridiculous body count.  Not that that's bad, just not what I was expecting.  Some of the early scenes got darker than I'd thought they'd go, and we do have Samuel M.F. Jackson on board and an R rating, so once we (Mrs. Orbert and I) figured that out, all was fine.  In fact, I liked the movie a lot, pretty crazy at times, but overall quite entertaining.  Again, just not what I thought it was going to be.

Primary gripe:  The dog test.  And I don't even like dogs, but it just didn't seem like a relevant test or a particularly good one for testing what it was supposed to be testing. 

SPOILERS

I get it.  They wanted people who would follow orders, without hesitation.  There could come a time during a mission when, based on the latest verified information, it turns out that they'll have to kill someone they "know" is loyal, someone they've perhaps come to love.  But sitting in a room and telling the candidate to shoot their dog does not test that.   We do know that the dog is loyal, 100% beyond a doubt.  It cannot possibly be a traitor or a threat to the mission.  All they're testing is whether the candidate will blindly follow orders and take out a completely innocent life.  I fully expected that killing the dog would resulting in failing the test, not passing it.

END SPOILERS

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #741 on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
Gruesome and they shoot a dog? I actually really want to see this now.

Because playing a real life person who has a disability is the guaranteed winner.

That Hawking movie was 100% Oscar-bait.

I'm going to write a movie about a man named Oscar Bates, a holocaust survivor with a terminal illness whose wife steals all of his money and runs off with another man, leaving him homeless. I can't lose.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: August 17, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
I'll compose the score.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: August 17, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
I'll compose the score.

The score will consist of one violin throughout.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
in Dm obviously :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: August 17, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »
I'd love to watch every Oscar winning movie ever that was based on a true story and just write the most schlocky - heart-tugging obvious sentimental crapfest ever :lol

Just try and hit all the emotional beats and maybe film it in black and white too for the full SRS tone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
in Dm obviously :lol

Ah yes, the saddest of all keys.

And I thought it was already implied it would be in B/W. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
:hifive: Let's do it !

" Freiheit ist Verboten "

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #748 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Great film. I've heard people compare the fight in the church to the hallway scene in Oldboy (the Korean version, if you've seen it you'll know what I mean), and while I think that assessment is a little off in terms of like, artistry, it's pretty accurate in terms of badassness.

Last movie I saw was Antman. It was pretty good but definitely not up to par with the best Marvel films (the best being Guardians of the Galaxy imo)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: August 18, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

Last movie I saw was Antman. It was pretty good but definitely not up to par with the best Marvel films (the best being Guardians of the Galaxy imo)

i've not seen many Marvel films but i'm tired of the whole " destroy a city in act 3 " .

Ant Man was a bit different in that way.

Although the execution of the shrinking scene when he defeats Yellowjacket was way too short and should have been longer / scarier.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #750 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »
I saw John Wick today.  What a great, fun action film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: August 18, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
John Wick is great.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Very fun, weird movie. I liked it on first watch, but my Dad couldn't get into the weirdness, as expected. I imagine I will enjoy it more on a second viewing.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - Amazing and brilliant. My 2nd favorite MI movie behind III, and I loved the water scene.

American Psycho - This movie makes me laugh. Bale does a great job at playing such a dickhead in this movie, and it's just hilarious how he does it. It's so over the top, but that's the point. Fun movie to watch with friends. Personally I thought the ending is a little weak, but it's still a very strong movie.

The Truman Show - My goodness, this movie never gets old. It's so brilliant and clever, and Jim Carrey is fantastic in this, as it's my favorite of his movies. This one really gets the emotions going, and I love the ending. Near perfect movie.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #752 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
The Truman Show - My goodness, this movie never gets old. It's so brilliant and clever, and Jim Carrey is fantastic in this, as it's my favorite of his movies. This one really gets the emotions going, and I love the ending. Near perfect movie.

Yes.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
Glad to see you like it too.  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #754 on: August 18, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
Basically, I agree with everything you said, including that it's my favorite Jim Carrey movie, and the ending.  Great film.  :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #755 on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
Yeah I just love how happy the movie seems to be but when you really think about it, the whole idea is just completely messed up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #756 on: August 19, 2015, 07:12:16 AM »
It's definitely messed up.  The concept is bizarre, but they set it up, and if you can accept it, then what follows is an interesting exploration into human behavior, God complex, etc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:03 AM »
I had a thought about the ending. Truman was born into that reality. You accept the reality you were born with.

Just think about it. If suddenly you were presented with a literal door into THE REAL WORLD...

Would you go through it ? Wouldn't you be so used to your life up til then ? Outside that door might be an apocalyptic wasteland and inside is a paradise designed specifically to keep you happy and

cared for.

It's definitely a tricky existential question.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #758 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
At the very least, I would be curious.  Kinda like with The Matrix, if I was told (and had good reason to believe) that everything I thought was real was in fact something created to make me think it was real, but not "really real", then I would want to know what "really real" is.  Up until that time, "real" was something else.  I could have lived the rest of my life and never realized what was going on.  But now that I know, I have to know the rest of it.

I would at least open the door and take a look.  Then I would decide whether to pass through it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #759 on: August 19, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »
Jupiter Ascending.  ::) :huh: :tdwn
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #760 on: August 19, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending, but it just seems like such a plainly mediocre movie.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #761 on: August 19, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Just watch the honest trailers for it, that should pretty much sum it up. Though I think they were more generous than I would've been.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: August 22, 2015, 05:22:57 AM »
Just saw Terminator: Genisys. One word kept appearing in my thoughts while watching this movie, which was "wonky". That's pretty much how I'd describe it overall. But it wasn't a bad movie, just an okay one. Some exciting scenes here and there among the nonsense. I'd rank it above Rise of the Machines, but below the rest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: August 22, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
I actually enjoyed Jupiter Ascending. . . :lol

Despite the fact that it was completely daft and silly and Eddie Redmayne was beyond panto.

I wasn't bored at any point or annoyed.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #764 on: August 24, 2015, 03:04:24 AM »
I quite enjoyed Jupiter Ascending more than I should have, just for the fact that it looked absolutely gorgeous. Despite the daft script and all.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #765 on: August 24, 2015, 05:13:00 AM »
I quite enjoyed Jupiter Ascending more than I should have, just for the fact that it looked absolutely gorgeous. Despite the daft script and all.

And Channing Tatum.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:57 PM »
His acting was slightly better than Keanu Reeves. But what the hell was Eddie Redmayne doing ? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #767 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »
Probably connecting to his dark side....  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #768 on: August 25, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
Just saw Hercules, the movie from last year with the Rock in it. Some spoilers below, if you care.

I enjoyed it. I don't know how much of a good movie it is, but it was definetely a fun one, worth it's time. But there was one scene that was truly great, or at least the build-up of that particular scene. When the princess is brought to be beheaded, that was some serious emotional stuff, and some serious acting by Rebecca Ferguson (the chick in the last Mission Impossible movie). Her pleas for mercy for herself and her some were really striking because of her acting. She might one of my new favorite actresses. I might have wished for the scene to have ended a bit differently (maybe George RR Martin has scarred me that way), but was still a good and intense scene.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #769 on: August 26, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
Jurassic World. Not bad. Not great either.