Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554390 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #665 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
Still need to catch that.  It's on HBO now, so I'll catch it soon.

Yeah, that's where I saw it.  I also need to see Whiplash.  I'm behind on a few films I want to see.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #666 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
I stay behind.  It would be physically impossible for me to watch all the films and TV that I want to watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #667 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Whiplash is amazing. My #1 of 2014 and will probably end up in my top 10 of all time. Probably mostly becuase I'm a (former, I guess) drummer, and still a musician, so I could at least sort of relate.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #668 on: August 03, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
I'm a drummer and I still haven't seen it. It's actually here for me to watch. I need to go ahead and do that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
I liked Ant Man but didn't like the call back to the "going between the molecules" speech from earlier in the film.

As soon as he realised that YellowJacket's suit was titanium - the audience should have immediately realised what was coming.

I really don't like it in films where they repeat an entire speech from less than two hours prior - As It's Playing Out.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2015, 10:22:18 PM »
Rouge Nation is fun. I like Ghost Protocol better because of some dramatic tension. Rogue Nation is just pure gun that they are literally acknowledging the ridiculousness of it all. My wife and I was laughing all throughout.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #671 on: August 04, 2015, 12:27:46 AM »
I liked Ant Man but didn't like the call back to the "going between the molecules" speech from earlier in the film.

As soon as he realised that YellowJacket's suit was titanium - the audience should have immediately realised what was coming.

Additionally, it makes no sense and is a violation of rules the movie made an effort to explain, twice.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:51 AM »
I really liked the actual sequence with him shrinking down past molecular size but it didn't go on long enough and was solved lickety split.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #673 on: August 04, 2015, 03:49:26 AM »
I actually liked it too. Ironically, it's my favorite scene in the movie.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #674 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
I watched A Million Ways to Die in the West last night. It started great and then became relatively boring toward the end. I was hoping for way more deaths.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #675 on: August 04, 2015, 06:57:05 AM »
Went to Inside Out last night. Brilliant movie and a top 3 for Pixar at least. Having an almost 3 year old daughter I almost cried 5 or 6 times. Haven't had a movie move me like that in a long while.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #676 on: August 04, 2015, 07:29:27 AM »
I was hoping for way more deaths.

Lemme get mah shotgun!  :xbones
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #677 on: August 04, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »
Whiplash is amazing. My #1 of 2014 and will probably end up in my top 10 of all time. Probably mostly becuase I'm a (former, I guess) drummer, and still a musician, so I could at least sort of relate.

Whiplash is a great movie, but as a musician it really pulls me out of the movie that most of the time what we hear and what we see don't match at all.

- Tiko

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: August 04, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
Yeah it's really funny sometimes seeing someone who is meant to be playing guitar who clearly isn't.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #679 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
I actually didn't even notice that because I was so invested in what was going on story-wise. And I've only seen it once so I haven't had a chance to notice it for myself, but I've heard that complaint from a few people now.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #680 on: August 04, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but I try not to let things like that bother me, considering it's just a movie.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #681 on: August 04, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »
Went to Inside Out last night. Brilliant movie and a top 3 for Pixar at least. Having an almost 3 year old daughter I almost cried 5 or 6 times. Haven't had a movie move me like that in a long while.

I teared up a few times. Bing Bong was really what got me.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #682 on: August 04, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »

I teared up a few times. Bing Bong was really what got me.

Yup.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:18 AM »
I may see it at some point. No desire to fork out the money to see it on the big screen though.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #684 on: August 06, 2015, 07:41:30 AM »
Mad Max Fury Road. Loved it. Really exceeded my expectations.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #685 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
I'm not seeing it until tomorrow, but hearing Chris Stuckmann compare the new Fantastic Four to Batman and Robin doesn't exactly make me hyped for tomorrow.. but tickets are already bought so. I guess best case, I go in expecting so little that even if it's mediocre, it's still better than expected.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #686 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:02 AM »
When it was announced, I expected Fantastic Four to be awful.

Everything I've read about the production along the way has further led me to believe it will be awful.

The reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly bad.

Hopefully it really tanks, so Fox will give up on the FF and rights can revert to Marvel Studios.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #687 on: August 06, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
It has a good director, a great writer and an even better cast, so it just feels weird that the result is such a disappointment. I'm not sure I would want the rights to go back to Marvel though. Fox has proven that they can do amazing superhero movies, but following X-Men: Days of Future Past up with this is not great.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #688 on: August 06, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
It has a good director, a great writer and an even better cast, so it just feels weird that the result is such a disappointment.
It doesn't have a good studio.  Fox doesn't know how to make a good FF film.  They've shown this in the past, and they show it now.

I'm not a fan of their treatment of the X-Men franchise either, but a ton of other people are, so there's that.

They seem to fundamentally distrust the source material, and continually seek out ways to deviate from it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #689 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
Also, the film currently has an 11% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Not good.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #690 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
I'll still see it, but the last 2 F4 movies left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
It's fair to say that Chris Evans has gone on to much better things since the first Fantastic Four movies  :biggrin:

He was awesome in Scott Pilgrim VS The World :)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #692 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »
I did enjoy Scott Pilgrim very much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »
You did or didn't ? :)

I loved it personally. It was a flop but it was just great. The final scene in the club was a bit meh but it was great up til then. I love everything Edgar directs.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #694 on: August 06, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Yeah I liked it. It's been some years since I've seeing i but I remember a lot of funny moments.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #695 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
It has a good director, a great writer and an even better cast, so it just feels weird that the result is such a disappointment.
It doesn't have a good studio.  Fox doesn't know how to make a good FF film.  They've shown this in the past, and they show it now.

I'm not a fan of their treatment of the X-Men franchise either, but a ton of other people are, so there's that.

They seem to fundamentally distrust the source material, and continually seek out ways to deviate from it.

I haven't gotten into the criticism for this one much yet, but the first two (with Jessica Alba/Chris Evans etc) felt like they were following the source material a bit too closely. A line like "its clobbering time" might work in a 60s cartoon, but in a real superhero movie? God no. Apparently the new movie has lines like that as well, it's just really corny.

Marvel would probably have made a good FF movie. While I have enjoyed pretty much all of the Marvel movies, surprisingly I would probably only put two of them in my top5 superhero films (Avengers and Ant-Man) and I think other studios have bigger homeruns, but also more misses. As amazing as the Raimi Spider-Man movies were, equally awful the Webb movies were. As amazing as X-Men: DoFP and X2 were, equally as awful X-Men 3 was. Marvel definitely has the consistency, though lately I've been getting a bit tired of their schtick. I don't think a Marvel FF film would have been at 11% RT score though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #696 on: August 06, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Just saw Insurgent, and I am thoroughly confused. I get the story just fine, but it is rare for there to be a mix of good and bad on this level in the same movie. I'm unsure what to think. Some things were great, some really good scenes and set-ups and pay-offs, but there was also so much that didn't make any sense and quite a few cliches. Good but unevenly written would be my summary I guess.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #697 on: August 06, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
My wife and I just watched "The Loft". It was pretty cool, nice little twist that I didn't see coming.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #698 on: August 06, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

I haven't gotten into the criticism for this one much yet, but the first two (with Jessica Alba/Chris Evans etc) felt like they were following the source material a bit too closely. A line like "its clobbering time" might work in a 60s cartoon, but in a real superhero movie? God no. Apparently the new movie has lines like that as well, it's just really corny.

Marvel would probably have made a good FF movie. While I have enjoyed pretty much all of the Marvel movies, surprisingly I would probably only put two of them in my top5 superhero films (Avengers and Ant-Man) and I think other studios have bigger homeruns, but also more misses. As amazing as the Raimi Spider-Man movies were, equally awful the Webb movies were. As amazing as X-Men: DoFP and X2 were, equally as awful X-Men 3 was. Marvel definitely has the consistency, though lately I've been getting a bit tired of their schtick. I don't think a Marvel FF film would have been at 11% RT score though.
Yeah, I see most of that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #699 on: August 06, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »
Big Hero 6

Fun movie.  My kids loved it, and recommended it, so my wife and I finally watched it when it came on cable.  And when I say "my kids" you have to remember that he's 23 and she's 17 now, so they're past "kiddie movies" but have a good feel for just plain good entertainment.

The story itself had some issues, but the characters were interesting, and the premise, while not the most original, had a few pretty unique twists to it.  Apparently there's a Marvel comics source for all of this, and the movie was a patchwork of concepts and characters from the comics and a spin-off mini-series of some kind, so this is one of those movie that fans of the source material tend not to like, but the general public is fine with.

My biggest complaint is that there were just a few too many clichés.  Many of the characters weren't characters so much as caricatures, and that got to be annoying.  Some of the "plot twists" were pretty much expected and thus weren't twists at all.  That kind of thing.  But whatever, it was entertaining.