Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554476 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #525 on: July 21, 2015, 07:06:12 AM »
Saw Ant-Man yesterday.  That was fantastic.  Tons of fun.

Could I take an eight and nine year old to it? My two oldest are begging me to see it.....

Yeah, I think so. It's got some adult humor, but it's got family friendly stuff in it, and I'm sure your kids wouldn't understand some of the adult humor :P

And it's definitely fun, has good action and it's hilarious!

Agreed... there are a couple instances of "shit", and I think "badass", so if you're ok with that, then the movie will be perfect for the little GMD's.  The "adult" humour isn't the inappropriate kind, just some things that might go over their head.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #526 on: July 21, 2015, 07:11:02 AM »
Saw Ant-Man yesterday.  That was fantastic.  Tons of fun.

Could I take an eight and nine year old to it? My two oldest are begging me to see it.....

Yeah, I think so. It's got some adult humor, but it's got family friendly stuff in it, and I'm sure your kids wouldn't understand some of the adult humor :P

And it's definitely fun, has good action and it's hilarious!

Agreed... there are a couple instances of "shit", and I think "badass", so if you're ok with that, then the movie will be perfect for the little GMD's.  The "adult" humour isn't the inappropriate kind, just some things that might go over their head.

Thanks fellas!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: July 21, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »
Just finished Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Definetely a fun movie, with moments of greatness. But it's also pretty silly at times, which is why I would say that it's the third best Mission Impossible movie so far.

So now I'm ready for Rogue Nation, excited!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
I watched Edge of Tomorrow the day before yesterday. Awesome blockbuster, loved the plot twist at the start.

I also watched The Imitation Game yesterday. Wow, what a great movie. Cumberbatch's acting was insanely good.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
Edge of Tomorrow is indeed great!

Just watched The Guest. What a badass movie

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
I watched Edge of Tomorrow the day before yesterday. Awesome blockbuster, loved the plot twist at the start.

Edge of Tomorrow is indeed great!

Loved that movie. I don't think there's a Tom Cruise movie I dislike. He's always involved in something good.

I also watched The Imitation Game yesterday. Wow, what a great movie. Cumberbatch's acting was insanely good.

Indeed. Any other actor though in that part and that movie is just so so. Cumberbatch made that movie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #531 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
I caught Man of Steel on TV tonight. It started off passable, but then devolved into every empty Hollywood explosion-fest. For the last hour it could have been Star Trek, or Transformers, or any other modern scifi movie, it really didn't matter. CG buildings and spaceships exploding and crashing every moment as if it was nothing, and every tracking shot used the same modern cliche camera with the quick zoom in. Costner's death was the most lame, pointless, avoidable turd of a nothing scene. And while I'm all for strong female characters, Lois Lane managed far too much for what she was.
Maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #532 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Can't argue with any of that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: July 22, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »

:iagree:

Great summation of how I feel about the movie.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: July 22, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
Eh, I liked it. Some things were just weird, like Costner's death, that was super bad writing. But I was fine with most of the rest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #535 on: July 22, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
Eh, I liked it. Some things were just weird, like Costner's death, that was super bad writing. But I was fine with most of the rest.

There were elements I liked, like Superman growing up and dealing with who he is (I'm not enough of a purist to care if it's anything like the comic books or whatever), but I don't feel like it was all that important once it just became super-humans having a fight for the last large portion of the movie. I know origin stories have become a bit of a necessary evil with the endless reboots, but I still would have liked the movie to have more of that rather than mindless action. I'm just over it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #536 on: July 22, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »

Great summation of how I feel about the movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: July 22, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »

There were elements I liked, like Superman growing up and dealing with who he is (I'm not enough of a purist to care if it's anything like the comic books or whatever), but I don't feel like it was all that important once it just became super-humans having a fight for the last large portion of the movie. I know origin stories have become a bit of a necessary evil with the endless reboots, but I still would have liked the movie to have more of that rather than mindless action. I'm just over it.

The last 40 minutes was complete shit.

And yes to the quick zoom in with every tracking shot. I loved it when Cameron did it in Avatar - but since then everyone has been doing it and now i'm sick of it.

And vis-a-vis Star Trek. Into Darkness was a bit bash crash action smash. But at least the climax to the movie wasn't total annihilation for 40 minutes straight.

For fun I timed the destruction scenes of both movies. Man Of Steel is 40 minutes.

Uss Vengeance crashing into San Fran lasts precisely 30 seconds.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #538 on: July 22, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Nothing wrong with 40 minutes of destruction.  The new Mad Max is 2 ours of action and destruction.  Most are not happy with how the story was written.  It doesn't bother me.  I thought is was way better than the boring Superman Returns.  That Louis Lane is the most boring actress I've ever seen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »
I'll take a failure at being a Donner superman movie over whatever the fuck Man Of Steel was.

Cause it sure as shit wasn't Superman.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: July 22, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »
That wasn't a Donner movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: July 22, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
Umm...... I know ? That was my point ?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: July 22, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
I was talking about a specific movie, that I thought was worse than Man Of Steel.  It wasn't Donner.  Hell, Man Of Steel is better than 3 and 4 but not 1 & 2.  Those were great.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »
I saw Man Of Steel a while back. My issue with it was that it was just insanely boring. None of the characters seemed to have any personality and I didn't give a shit about them.

Some of the effects were pretty cool.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: July 22, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Man of Steel was alright, but Superman Returns is actually my favorite Superman movie. The old ones are fun and all, but they're really really dated.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: July 22, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
It's like they tried to get a sequel by having that kid be Superman Jr. But the sequel never happened. So that plot point just went to a dead end.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: July 22, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I loved Spacey but the storyline and the acting was subpar for me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #547 on: July 22, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
Oh yeah Spacey was great. He's pretty much the best in everything he's in though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: July 22, 2015, 05:08:47 PM »
My favorite movie of all time he's in.  L.A. Confidential.  Every actor in that movie gets 5 stars in my book.  Just a stellar storyline and acting.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #549 on: July 22, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
Oh yeah, I need to see that one again. I saw it once, years and years ago. Barely remember anything at all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: July 22, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
I know I defend MOF quite a bit :lol, but check out my top ten movies of all time in that thread.  I am really looking forward to see if DC can get their act together like Marvel did.  A few years from now we'll have a better idea.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: July 22, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
MOF ?

Man Of Feels ? :neverusethis:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #552 on: July 22, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
Just saw Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellan recently.   I have no idea why this movie isn't getting a larger release.   Big star playing a beloved character with fantastic performances.   

The stuff that Hollywood sweeps under the rug these days just baffles the mind. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: July 22, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: July 22, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
My favorite movie of all time he's in.  L.A. Confidential.  Every actor in that movie gets 5 stars in my book.  Just a stellar storyline and acting.

I need to see that one too.  But checking my Top 10 movies, The Usual Suspects comes in at #2.  That is Spacey at his best, imo.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: July 22, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
Top 10 for me as well

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #556 on: July 23, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »
There has never been a good Superman film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: July 23, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
There has never been a good Superman film.

Actual ROFL   :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #558 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »
Still.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Just saw Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellan recently.   I have no idea why this movie isn't getting a larger release.   Big star playing a beloved character with fantastic performances.   

The stuff that Hollywood sweeps under the rug these days just baffles the mind.

That does look good.