Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 553026 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »
That's a lot of fish.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
How about neither were very good?

I also just watched No Country for Old Men :hefdaddy

I've heard a lot of people complain about the ending but I think it's fantastic.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #317 on: June 10, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
How about neither were very good?

I also just watched No Country for Old Men :hefdaddy

I've heard a lot of people complain about the ending but I think it's fantastic.

Great movie and ending I thought.  If that was your first time watching I envy you.  Love this flick.

Recently I saw Spy with a friend and thought it was funny.  It was better then I thought it was going to be.  It's worth a matinee. 
Signature

Offline faizoff

« Reply #318 on: June 10, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
Night at the museum III, definitely the weakest of the lot. I have a soft spot for these movies and love the first two but the third one is somewhat ok.

Bad words - I thought it was hilarious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: June 11, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »
Nightcrawler is on Netflix now if anybody is interested in seeing that. I really really recommend it, I loved it. The best Jake Gyllenhaal performance I've seen, he's such a great actor.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #320 on: June 11, 2015, 10:46:42 PM »
I wanted to punch his character in the face watching the trailer. Will I feel the same watching the movie?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: June 11, 2015, 10:48:36 PM »
I don't really know. I didn't, but at the same time, I did. Weird how movies make us think sometimes. He's crazy but I sometimes feel myself rooting for him, then there's times where I'm like.. damn, what the hell. :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:25 AM »
Jurassic World. 

Hell of a ride. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »
I just finished 50 Shades of Grey, the unrated version.

So, fuck it, I actually liked this movie. And not because of the sex and hurrhurr bewbs, I actually thought the story and intrigue about Grey's character were good and interesting. I don't quite get the hate. Though the ending was a bit unexpected. If you've seen the movie you probably know that I mean that quite literally. This isn't my type of movie, but I still enjoyed it.

What started as some seriously pervy Twilight fan fiction actually turned into a better movie than the Twilight movies.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
Saw Fast 7 a few days ago... then Jurassic World a few days afterwards...

And then last night worked my way through Jurassic 1,2 and 3.

AAANNNDDDD seeing Age of Ultron tomorrow  :)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
I just watched Primer. Pretty cool but I really couldn't follow the plot :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
I just finished 50 Shades of Grey, the unrated version.

So, fuck it, I actually liked this movie. And not because of the sex and hurrhurr bewbs, I actually thought the story and intrigue about Grey's character were good and interesting. I don't quite get the hate. Though the ending was a bit unexpected. If you've seen the movie you probably know that I mean that quite literally. This isn't my type of movie, but I still enjoyed it.

What started as some seriously pervy Twilight fan fiction actually turned into a better movie than the Twilight movies.
I haven't seen the unrated version, but I saw the theatrical release.

I liked it, too.  I had also read the books, and the film was certainly better than the novel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
Also, last night we watched Focus with Will Smith and Margot Robbie (against my better judgement).  I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Smith was better than I normally find him.  Very entertaining.  Also, Robbie is easy on the eyes, and a talented young actress.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »
I just watched Primer. Pretty cool but I really couldn't follow the plot :lol

I found it easy to follow until about the last 10-15 minutes, when it really got nuts. :lol Took me a second viewing to really get it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
It was something like - one of the two guys put a time machine *inside* another time machine so he could use the one inside as often as he wanted but because it was inside another one

- he could still go back to before he used it at all ?

But it had a cool uneasy vibe throughout the whole thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:07 AM »
Been a while since I saw it, but I don't remember a time machine within a time machine. I recall he had a backup time machine in another storage room that had been running for as long/longer than the other one just incase everything went horribly wrong.
There are some production quality issues around that point that made it less clear than it could and should have been at such a critical moment.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #331 on: June 15, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
Finally saw Mad Max.     It was fun, but I don't know if it was the be all and end all action film everyone said it was.    I was also expecting from the reviews that it was a non-stop 2hr thrill ride...it wasn't.   There were quite a few places where the action slowed down a bit. 

I was a bit surprised by the R rating.   No bad language.  No boobies (except the milking machine scene...which was pretty hot, but you didn't get to see everything), lots of things blowing up, but I don't recall that there was much blood until the climactic death of the baddie.   Maybe that was what put it over the edge...because I've seen everything else that movie had to offer in any PG-13 action movie fare.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline faizoff

« Reply #332 on: June 15, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
Yea I think it was borderline R rather than an obvious R rated movie. Maybe the baby scene and overall grotesqueness/bleakness was what pushed it to an R.

As for the movie itself i dunno I don't think I've ever seen this kind of captivating action, sure there were some breathers here and there but they were so short that it barely felt like the movie slowed down. I guess you were literally expecting an non-stop 2 hr full on action with zero stoppages.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Jurassic World: 7.5/10. Fun movie, obviously doesn't have the charm and awesomeness of the first but it was a fun one to see in theaters. Chris Pratt did a wonderful job and I loved the end of the movie. Downsides I thought were the kids. Nothing about them made me really feel sympathy or interest in them. The CGI was a little iffy on some parts.. Like the shark hanging from the rope.. Ugh. And it had a little filler I thought. Still worth seeing though for sure.

Jurassic Park: 9.5/10. Just awesome. I haven't watched this in full in such a long time but I got in the mood for it after watching Jurassic World. Love it, the characters including the kids are so loveable. For being over 20 years old I'm glad to see it still holds up so well visually.

The Departed: 10/10. Classic. Love the cast in this movie and it's just got such a good story. Leonardo is so good in this.

The Fountain: 9/10. I need to watch this again. I really think it's a great movie and I believe it will get better with every watch.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
Just watched Interstellar..

Pretty good. Thought it didn't need to be nearly 3 hours long and I thought it dragged a bit at the end. I liked a lot of the movie but I just thought it went too far with the idea. Amazing soundtrack and McConaughey did a great job. 8/10

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
This is Spinal Tap.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
I'm watching The Princess Diaries 2.

Don't judge.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
Just watched Unbreakable.

What the fuck happened to M. Night Shyamalan?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
Seriously.  I loved his first 3 movies.  Then it was all downhill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
John Wick.. fun movie! Keanu Reeves was awesome in it.

Y'all probably think I'm obsessed with movies right now :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
My friend and I watched the wedding ringer because it was free rental day. It was overall an okay movie but the tone is so uneven, there are some nice scenes that actually have some heart to them and then they are followed up by scenes of over the top hijinx. Also this movie just might have the biggest waste of Cloris Leachman in the history of film.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
I almost never watch a movie until 10-15 years after it comes out in theaters. Just strange that way.

Bourne Identity
: Good flick. I liked it better than the first M:I, which was obviously of similar styles. Damon was good in he role and it didn't rely on over the top action. When it did have action sequences (great car chase) they were well done, believable and easy to follow; no stupidly fast editing. Unfortunately, the premise was a big part of the reason it worked, and now that he knows who he is I don't imagine the sequels being of much interest to me.

Horatio Hornblower, R.N.: Gregory Peck as the world's greatest sea captain. As some know I'm a huge Peck fan and this was yet another perfect role for him. Despite being completely unsure of himself he serves as a perfect blend of tactician, loyal officer of the British Navy, guardian of his crew, and gentleman, excelling at all of them. You can easily see how Roddenberry patterned his two ship captains after him.

The Outlaw Josey Wales: Despite loving Westerns I'd never seen it. Damn good work. Not as polished as Unforgiven, but more entertaining to watch, IMO. Clint's pretty samey as an actor in these sorts of roles, but he's a damn good director.

The Conversation: Gene Hackman and the mighty John Cazale. I can see why it won the big one. A master wire-tapper records a discussion that will likely precede a murder and is tormented about  what is now a massive conflict of ethics that continues to grind him down until he finally breaks. A psychological thriller a la Hitchcock but set in a modern, technological era.  John Cazalle only starred in five movies before cancer ended his career. All five of those were nominated for best picture, and four won. Single best resume in all of Hollywood.

The Anderson Tapes: Continuing the theme of surveillance vs voyeurism. Sean Connery as a master cat burglar who's surveilled by five different LEAs, unbeknownst to him or any of the other agencies. Once the whole thing turns into a bloodbath all of the agencies have to destroy all of their evidence because he was only a tangent in their various operations, and the outcome would be criminal, negligent, embarrassing or all of the above to each group of feds.  Great premise and pretty well executed.

The Bravados: Again with Gregory Peck, but this time with the smoking hot Joan Collins. Peck plays a good, decent man who sets out to hunt down the 5 people who raped and murdered his wife after they escape the hangman. He takes satisfaction in executing each of them, only to find out that they actually didn't have anything to do with the trouble back home. They were nevertheless ruthless killers who were going to hang anyway, killed their way out of town and buggered one of the local girls they had taken hostage. Thus presenting something of an ethical dilemma for the man from the satisfaction gained by administering justice that he had no personal stake in.

This was the last two weeks or so. I believe The French Connection is up next. Surprisingly never seen it, and I'm a huge fan of good car chases.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: June 18, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »

Bourne Identity
: Good flick. I liked it better than the first M:I, which was obviously of similar styles. Damon was good in he role and it didn't rely on over the top action. When it did have action sequences (great car chase) they were well done, believable and easy to follow; no stupidly fast editing. Unfortunately, the premise was a big part of the reason it worked, and now that he knows who he is I don't imagine the sequels being of much interest to me.

I can understand why you might feel hesitant about the sequels, but I would encourage you to check them out anyway.  They're really good. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »
From what I remember, The Bourne Ultimatum might have been my favorite.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
Mine too, actually. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #345 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:37 PM »
o/

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #346 on: June 18, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »
Just seems to me like the elements that I found most enjoyable about it have been resolved. While he doesn't know his complete life history, he knows what he is and what he's capable of. It was that ignorance compounded by the pressure of people everywhere trying to capture or kill him that made it so intriguing. I'm sure it's a perfectly enjoyable spy franchise, but without that psychological element I just don't think it would interest me nearly as much.

Oh, and I did watch a movie from 3 years ago during that streth:

God Bless America: A great deal to like about this movie. Excellent dialogue and devastating satire on our tabloid society. It also features dome fantastic dark comedy. The girl interuping Frank when he was trying to kill himself, and then being a pest about it really cracked me up. I couldn't stand Bobcat Goldthwait as a comedian, but as a filmmaker and writer he's pretty damn good. The downside is that it wasn't quite strong enough to support it's marvelous premise. Their ability to do what they do with impunity was a little much. I understand why it was avoided, having to deal with the police would have detracted from what Bobcat was trying to accomplish, but you can't just ignore something that important. The other problem was the girl, while a fine actress, didn't really seem to have a reason to be a part of the whole thing, outside of boredom. While I was perfectly sympathetic to Frank, she just seemed like a spoiled kid by the end of it.

Definitely makes me want to see his other two films, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEFj0Pngu_E
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
Just seems to me like the elements that I found most enjoyable about it have been resolved. While he doesn't know his complete life history, he knows what he is and what he's capable of. It was that ignorance compounded by the pressure of people everywhere trying to capture or kill him that made it so intriguing. I'm sure it's a perfectly enjoyable spy franchise, but without that psychological element I just don't think it would interest me nearly as much.

That's fair.  What I would suggest is that while the sequels might not be intriguing in exactly the same way as the first one, they are still plenty intriguing in their own ways.  The psychological element is not gone.

Of course, it's entirely up to you whether or not you watch them.  You may be right; you might not enjoy them as much. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »

Bourne Identity

I can understand why you might feel hesitant about the sequels, but I would encourage you to check them out anyway.  They're really good.
This.  Watch them.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »

Bourne Identity

This.  Watch them.
The thing is, there are 70 years of movies out there, and far more excellent ones than I have time to watch in my lifetime. Add to that I enjoy rewatching movies that really sit well with me (I've got plenty of movies that I watch once a year). I've gotten to the point that I have to be pretty selective of what I spend time on. Again, I'm sure the follow up Bourne movies are perfectly good and entertaining. They just no longer have a premise that makes me want to spend time with it, as opposed to something else that really interests me. Many times I'll choose the movie I watch after reading something and thinking "holy shit, that's a brilliant idea!" "Spy with amnesia struggles to find out who he is while being constantly pursued" is one of those premises. "Spy with partial amnesia tries to solve some international conspiracy" doesn't hold as much interest.

And pretty much the only movies I watch when they initially come out are Tarantino movies; I'm a sucker for good writing. The Hateful Eight is just one of those movies where the concept intrigues me. Due in large part to that, Stagecoach has moved up pretty far on my list of things to watch. A group of strangers forced to sort something out despite their various conflicts and shortcomings will usually make for a fine story.
E.F. Benson