Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554389 times)

Offline adace

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
Tomorrowland was pretty good. Very pretty visuals and solid acting, but the plot felt kinda cheesy to me. Overall though a very enjoyable watch.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
That did look cheesy but fun based on the one preview I saw. Not sure if I'll see it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:02 AM »
I watched two movies this weekend.

Temple Grandin - 9/10

- Best movie I've seen in quite a while. I've followed the real Temple for a few years now but never saw the movie. Really well done.

The Lego Movie - 7/10

- I was super excited for this. The movie opened great but the lego novelty wore off a bit by the end of the movie. I did like how they transitioned to the live action scenes at the end. That was pretty cool and unexpected.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »
Finally saw American Sniper last night.

I thought it was impressively acted by Bradley Cooper, and well directed by Clint Eastwood, but I don't really understand much of the rest of the hype for the film.  I mean, it was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good.  I certainly didn't see this as a Best Picture nominee.

But it was good, like I said.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
Watched Nightcrawler and 12 Years a Slave. :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
I've seen 12 Years, and thought it was a tremendous film.

Haven't been able to catch Nightcrawler yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »

I thought it was impressively acted by Bradley Cooper, and well directed by Clint Eastwood, but I don't really understand much of the rest of the hype for the film.  I mean, it was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good.  I certainly didn't see this as a Best Picture nominee.

That was pretty much my assessment as well.  Solid movie, but not as good as the hype led me to believe it would be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2015, 10:33:14 AM »
Yeah.  TBH, I was a little disappointed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
Watched Unbroken last night, really solid film.

I caught it on On Demand a few weeks back, just before it was released on DVD.  Really good film.  I had to watch it twice that same weekend.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
I've seen 12 Years, and thought it was a tremendous film.

Haven't been able to catch Nightcrawler yet.

I liked 12 Years a Slave. It was a really good movie, however, I don't know if I could consider it one of my favorites. It was very well made and had great actors and writing, but it's not a movie I could sit there and say , "Hey guys let's watch 12 Years for movie night!". I'll give it an 8/10.

Nightcrawler was fantastic. Jake Gyllenhaal has become one of my favorite actors and he is incredible in this movie. He steals it. :tup 9/10

That was pretty much my assessment as well.  Solid movie, but not as good as the hype led me to believe it would be.

I saw this in theaters with my ex and we really enjoyed it. It was a good movie from what I thought, but I agree with you both. Sometimes I hate that movies like these that are based off true events have to be regarded so highly. My friends loved this movie and of course if I were to say it was good and nothing more, they'd probably criticize me because I'm not "giving it enough" respect because it was a true story.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
Once it's on screen, I don't care that it was based on a true story, especially since it's never "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth". 

It's a film, and I only care whether or not it's a good film.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
Pretty much.

I've been in such a movie mood lately. I never have been one to watch a ton of movies but I think seeing Mad Max sparked my interest in movies again. It's nice too because there are so many ways to watch movies now. Netflix, Red Box, HBO Go, plus my sister and brother just have a massive library of films. So I just mooch :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
I started watching American Sniper once, but stopped maybe 20 minutes in. It didn't grip me and I wasn't interested in that guy, which happens for me with movies from time to time. I have heard that there are really good scenes and intense parts further into the movie, but it couldn't muster enough enthusiasm in me to get there. I might see the whole thing some other time though.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »
I started watching American Sniper once, but stopped maybe 20 minutes in. It didn't grip me and I wasn't interested in that guy, which happens for me with movies from time to time. I have heard that there are really good scenes and intense parts further into the movie, but it couldn't muster enough enthusiasm in me to get there. I might see the whole thing some other time though.
There is some really good stuff in there.  But aside from Cooper (who really did do a great job), I've seen it better in other films.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
If American Sniper was the exact same story with a sniper from another country's military (and the movie title reflected that), it wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the praise it did. Americans will eat up anything revolving around the US military.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
So?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
I'm saying that I think a vast majority of Americans speak so highly of it simply because it was about a guy in the US military. Had it been the exact same story but about a French or Japanese sniper, I don't think Americans would have even bothered to see it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
It may not have made as much money.  But it still would have received the same amount of critical acclaim.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
Star Trek Into Darkness.

Ehhh. I still enjoy the heck out of it.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »

Yep. Cooper was the best part of the movie...he was great in it. I think the hype was kind of what Chino brought up....
I'm saying that I think a vast majority of Americans speak so highly of it simply because it was about a guy in the US military. Had it been the exact same story but about a French or Japanese sniper, I don't think Americans would have even bothered to see it.

I can honestly say that if it were about Japanese (or any other country) sniper I would not have bothered to watch it...at all. If that makes me a bad guy then whatever, I knew of Kyle before the movie so it intrigued me.

And....a French sniper  :lol that's hilarious   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
2 movies I watched today were Insomnia and Lost in Translation.

Insomnia: Really good, fairly straightforward movie that Al Pacino was awesome in, as well as Robin Williams. I loved the atmosphere of the movie, Alaska is so cool. 8/10

Lost in Translation: Just beautiful, not very plot driven but doesn't even need to be. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson have such good chemistry together, it was just a fun and happy movie. Loved it and will probably end up being one of my favorites. 10/10

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »
Star Trek Into Darkness.

Ehhh. I still enjoy the heck out of it.

That reminds me, I got half way into it about a month ago and had to stop. I should try and force myself to finish it off some time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
I'll have to revisit Lost in Translation sometime. I remember watching it some 9-10 yrs back and hated it at the time. Going to have to see if I have the same feeling.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
got around to seeing Whiplash.

don't get the hype.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2015, 10:49:29 PM »
Whiplash is my #1 movie of 2014. I think it's amazing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:47 AM »
Lost in Translation: Just beautiful, not very plot driven but doesn't even need to be. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson have such good chemistry together, it was just a fun and happy movie. Loved it and will probably end up being one of my favorites. 10/10
LiT is such a beautiful movie. Bill and Scarlett is great together and the soundtrack is wonderful and creates a certain mood. I love it!  :tup

Just saw the trailer for Cop Car with Kevin Bacon, looks interesting.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »
I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. Holy fuck. That movie was excellent. I was a huge fan of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but I think this one topped it. I really liked the fact that there was more footage of the apes than there was humans. I did think the apes became too human-like by the end of the movie, but I'll let it go.

The only thing that really didn't make sense to me was the ape population. It seemed way too big for the amount of time that had gone by.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:47:13 AM by Chino »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »
I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. Holy fuck. That movie was excellent. I was a huge fan of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but I think this one topped it. I really liked the fact that there was more footage of the apes than there was humans. I did think the humans became too human-like by the end of the movie, but I'll let it go.

The only thing that really didn't make sense to me was the ape population. It seemed way too big for the amount of time that had gone by.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :tup

I think they needed to show them in a more human way by the end just for presentation purposes, otherwise we'd have had a finale with apes angrily doing sign language at each other. :lol  I didn't mind them talking a little bit, and they did it pretty well overall. Apparently the original concept had them talking a lot more naturally and had the apes as more generic villians, before the new director stepped in and made it awesome instead.

I assume the ape population wasn't just derived from the small group in Rise, but that they'd managed to find more apes from somewhere. Without giving it too much thought, I can accept that they somehow managed that in the decade inbetween.

They're valid points, but I also thought the movie was excellent, and if those are the biggest concerns coming out of a movie about talking apes, I think they've done a great job. :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
It was the best movie I have seen in a long time, maybe since Avatar.

I've never seen any of the original Planet of the Apes, but these two new ones have both been fantastic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
It was easily my favourite movie of last year, and I saw a lot more new movies than I usually do.

I assume somewhere in future movies they will come full circle back to something similar to the original Planet of the Apes movie. Rise had similarities to Conquest for the Planet of the Apes, and Dawn was similar to Battle for the Planet of the Apes, so it seems like a logical progression.

Online faizoff

« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
Dawn was awesome, I'm so glad I saw it in the theater. The next one is going to be War so can't wait for that one. I was so sure that Dawn would win the best visual fx oscar.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
Both Rise and Dawn were great! As someone that appreciate and enjoy good CGI in movies and games and have seen lots of great cinematics and visuals, the Apes in DoTPoTA with it's realistic movement, facial expression and so on made me actually realise how far we've come in that area. I guess though that Performance Capture studios have "helped" CGI artists alot given they had to do everything by "hands" before.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Both Rise and Dawn were great! As someone that appreciate and enjoy good CGI in movies and games and have seen lots of great cinematics and visuals, the Apes in DoTPoTA with it's realistic movement, facial expression and so on made me actually realise how far we've come in that area. I guess though that Performance Capture studios have "helped" CGI artists alot given they had to do everything by "hands" before.

I was blown away by some of the camera sequences in that movie. The construction zone battle was especially awesome. There were a lot of shots in that movie that simply wouldn't have been possible without CGI, and for that I respect it. The opening scene with all the deer was really intense as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
Dawn was awesome, I'm so glad I saw it in the theater. The next one is going to be War so can't wait for that one. I was so sure that Dawn would win the best visual fx oscar.

I love Dawn, and its CG was amazing, but Interstellar deserved the oscar win.

Online faizoff

« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
Yea no complaints from me on Interstellar winning it, after all the practical effects done on that movie were mind blowing.