Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561110 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8435 on: April 22, 2022, 08:56:35 AM »
Went to the theater for the first time since COVID to see a non comic book film.

Went to see Everything Everywhere All at Once.

I have to say....I loved it. Fantastic acting, super weird writing and directing and a story with some real heart. Plus a guy gets beaten to death with dildos.

Michelle Yeoh is amazing and her time on Star Trek Discovery was completely wasted. Shortround from Indiana Jones turned out to be a really great actor as well. Highly recommend this strange and bizarre movie that will make any movie set in the multiverse have to work much harder to compete.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8436 on: April 22, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
Went to the theater for the first time since COVID to see a non comic book film.

I have to say....I loved it. Fantastic acting, super weird writing and directing and a story with some real heart. Plus a guy gets beaten to death with dildos.

Michelle Yeoh is amazing and her time on Star Trek Discovery was completely wasted. Shortround from Indiana Jones turned out to be a really great actor as well. Highly recommend this strange and bizarre movie that will make any movie set in the multiverse have to work much harder to compete.
I really want to see this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8437 on: April 22, 2022, 09:22:32 AM »
As do I.  The trailer looked amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8438 on: April 22, 2022, 10:20:24 AM »
Hytti nro 6

Pretty good Finnish movie.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8439 on: April 24, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
The Northman.

Holy shit what a sick film. Both sick as in excellent and as in disgusting/shocking. I knew nothing about this film except for a brief teaser and that it reviewed well. Went in expecting something along the likes of, say Count of Monte Cristo or Ben Hur in a Viking setting. You know, a film of a hero experiencing trauma and coming back as a man reborn later in life. But this film is really something else. This film is relentless and it uses Norse religion/mythology well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8440 on: April 25, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »
I vividly remember seeing Unforgiven as a junior in high school on a date. I was anticipating The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and was disappointed that was not what I got.

Years later I watched it again, realized the first time I was hoping for the wrong film, and thus ended up loving the film as it was. A good example of a movie I liked each more upon each subsequent viewing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8441 on: April 25, 2022, 08:50:58 PM »
I see Unforgiven as a spiritual sequel to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and the whole "man with no name" trilogy.  Bill Munny could easily be the same man, years later, retired from gunslinging and settled down.  What has he learned?  How has his life changed, and changed him?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8442 on: April 25, 2022, 09:06:43 PM »
It could definitely be viewed that way. Clint held on to this project for a long time before he felt he was ready to make it, either in terms of film making maturity, personal maturity, physical maturity, or all of the above.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8443 on: April 27, 2022, 10:57:33 AM »
I see Unforgiven as a spiritual sequel to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and the whole "man with no name" trilogy.  Bill Munny could easily be the same man, years later, retired from gunslinging and settled down.  What has he learned?  How has his life changed, and changed him?
That's an interesting take, but I wonder if Josey Wales might not be a better candidate. I haven't seen it in a while, but my recollection is that JW was a pretty peaceful guy turned to violence for revenge, and eventually necessity. Wales also settled down with Sandra Locke, if I'm not mistaken. By comparison, TMwNN never felt bad about what he did. It was all neatly justified by his own sense of right and wrong. I'm not sure 20 years later he'd be so remorseful. And while he certainly dug the ladies, I'm not sure he was going to settle down with one.

Interesting question. I watched Fistful of Dollars not too long ago. I might have to revisit TOJW and better consider it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8444 on: April 27, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
Josey Wales may indeed be a better candidate.  I was just thinking about Eastwood-as-gunslinger in general, and Chris had mentioned The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly so that trilogy/character was on my mind.  Eastwood did a bunch of westerns, not all "spaghetti", and not all the same character.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8445 on: April 27, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
Josey Wales may indeed be a better candidate.  I was just thinking about Eastwood-as-gunslinger in general, and Chris had mentioned The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly so that trilogy/character was on my mind.  Eastwood did a bunch of westerns, not all "spaghetti", and not all the same character.
Funny thing, if you type "is William mun" the first suggestion is "Is William Munny the man with no name," and the second suggestion is "is William Munny Josey Wales."  :lol

Looks like it's been even longer since I've seen Unforgiven as his character is pretty much the antithesis of them both. Young Munny was cruel, hateful, remorseless, and a terrible drunk. Both TMwNN and JW were both honorable guys in their own weird sort of way. In any case I know you weren't looking at it literally, but rather as Munny as an older version of the typical Western antihero that Clint often played, and I think that's about right.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8446 on: April 27, 2022, 03:22:22 PM »
It's been a while for me, too, and I don't even remember if they got into Munny's background and younger years.  But apparently so, and that would seem to rule him out.  It also seems possible that Munny's backstory was created specifically to avoid people concluding that's he's the older version of any of those other characters.  So who knows?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8447 on: April 27, 2022, 08:58:18 PM »
Loving this discussion. I haven't seen Josey Wales in a long time. Or Joe Kidd or High Plains Drifter for that matter.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8448 on: April 28, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »
Loving this discussion. I haven't seen Josey Wales in a long time. Or Joe Kidd or High Plains Drifter for that matter.

Some beauts right there.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8449 on: April 28, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »
I know I've seen all of them, most more than once, but it's been a long time and I'm not sure I remembered much about the details even then.  I remember Joe Kidd driving a train into a saloon or something.  That was cool.  :coolio

Shortly after Mrs. Orbert and I got our first house together, we were getting to know the next-door neighbors.  The TV was on, though we weren't really paying much attention to it, but Clint was walking down a dusty street past the coffin-maker.  I looked up and said "Get three coffins ready."  On screen, Clint says "Get three coffins ready."  After some shooting, and some dying, Clint starts heading back and I say "My mistake.  Four coffins."  On screen, Clint says "My mistake.  Four coffins."  Rich and Karen (our neighbors) just look at me like I'm the biggest movie nerd in the world.  I'm not, but I remembered that scene.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8450 on: April 28, 2022, 09:30:02 AM »
^^ I love that story.  :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8451 on: April 28, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
Thanks.  I forgot one detail that might or might not be important.  We were at their house, and it was on their TV.  If it was our house, it might be less impressive that I knew some lines from a movie I had on in the first place.  But no, we were next door, and I was quoting Clint's lines from something they happened to have on TV.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8452 on: April 29, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »

Just saw this as well and agree with everything. It has a perfect blend of weirdness, comedy, action, drama and sci-fi. Just a great movie all around.

Highly recommend it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8453 on: April 30, 2022, 04:16:08 PM »
First family film since Covid hit….being big Potter-heads we went to Secrets of Dumbledore.

All I can say is it’s seems the Fantastic Beasts series has lost any of the mojo it may of had when it started. This movie was bad and it wouldn’t surprise me if the series ends after this.  Poor story/character development, boring action scenes, just felt joyless all the way around. Nothing from the previous two movies seemed to matter to what this movie was trying to be.

Wish I could cast an obliviate spell on myself.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8454 on: May 01, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »
The Bad Guys

fun film.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8455 on: May 05, 2022, 04:50:08 AM »
First family film since Covid hit….being big Potter-heads we went to Secrets of Dumbledore.

All I can say is it’s seems the Fantastic Beasts series has lost any of the mojo it may of had when it started. This movie was bad and it wouldn’t surprise me if the series ends after this.  Poor story/character development, boring action scenes, just felt joyless all the way around. Nothing from the previous two movies seemed to matter to what this movie was trying to be.

Such a shame, the first one was awesome. I did enjoy the second one but it did not really leave much of an impression on me.

I wonder how much involved JK is/was with the writing in these films. She is great at making new stories and most definitely not a one trick pony (that trick being the first HP series), I really love the detective series she is doing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8456 on: May 05, 2022, 08:15:17 AM »

Such a shame, the first one was awesome. I did enjoy the second one but it did not really leave much of an impression on me.

I wonder how much involved JK is/was with the writing in these films. She is great at making new stories and most definitely not a one trick pony (that trick being the first HP series), I really love the detective series she is doing.

She wrote the screenplays for the first 2.  The studio brought in a co-writer for her on the 3rd in an attempt to course-correct the series.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8457 on: May 05, 2022, 08:27:03 AM »
JK's movie screenplay doesn't translate well to the screen. They are too dense and convoluted and may work in book form but for the large screen don't work at all. I too liked the first one and could live with the 2nd one but heard terrible things of the 3rd one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8458 on: May 07, 2022, 04:54:55 PM »
The Batman

I liked it.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8459 on: May 21, 2022, 05:28:01 PM »
Been watching the Harry Potter movies with the kids. I've seen them all but it was years ago. The highlight for me is that both kids are liking them. It is a challenge finding something both an 11 year old and a 4 year old can enjoy. The fact that it is something I can watch and enjoy with them is a special bonus.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8460 on: May 21, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »
I marathoned all those movies right after the new year after watching that 20th anniversary reunion that HBO Max released on New Year's Day. I was just the right age when those books blew up and I have a strong affinity for both them and the movies.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8461 on: May 21, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »
I avoided the hype for years and didn't read the books till after the final movie came out and it was no longer a big "thing." While not the greatest series I ever read, I enjoyed them all greatly and could see why they were as popular as they were. Then I watched the movies and enjoyed those as well.   

Funny story: Around the time Goblet of Fire debuted, I had met a girl at a club, and for our first date, she asked me if I wanted to go see the first midnight showing with her. Because I was a 20-something man, I obviously said yes, despite having not seen any of the other movies, or any interest in doing so. I enjoyed the movie despite being pretty lost as to much of what was going on, not to mention sleepy. We didn't go out again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8462 on: May 23, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

Well, not as good as The Hitman's Bodyguard, which was at least a fun, mindless, action film.  This sequel was that, but less.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8463 on: May 23, 2022, 08:36:00 AM »
The Mule, with Clint Eastwood. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8464 on: May 23, 2022, 08:40:43 PM »

Thoughts?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8465 on: May 24, 2022, 06:55:47 AM »

Thoughts?
Yes, we are curious.

Eastwood is normally an automatic watch for me, but the trailers did nothing for me, so I didn't catch this one yet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8466 on: May 25, 2022, 07:24:43 AM »

Thoughts?

It was good.  Eastwood is always good, and most of the movie made perfect sense. Some of it strained incredulity - the scene with the popcorn; the very end - but it was good.  Eastwood, even as a doddering old man, is a bad ass. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8467 on: May 26, 2022, 08:56:35 PM »
I just came in to mention that I finally saw Grand Taurino last night, and you guys are already talking about Clint.

Interesting movie. Not what I expected, especially the ending.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8468 on: May 26, 2022, 09:17:58 PM »
I remember watching this, and in the moment not enjoying it as much as I usually enjoy his movies. Then after it ended and I had a moment to let it all set it, I found a greater appreciation for it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8469 on: May 27, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »
Everything Everywhere All at Once - best movie of the year so far and I would be very surprised if it doesn't end up as my #1 at the end of the year.