Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561325 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8330 on: February 03, 2022, 06:59:26 AM »
WarGames is fantastic.

My wife and I saw it in the theater. Great memories.
I also saw it in the theater.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8331 on: February 03, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »
WarGames is fantastic.

Wait...you're my age (54)?  You weren't married at the time, right?  I saw it in the theater too, but I was 16.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8332 on: February 06, 2022, 04:23:41 PM »
WarGames is fantastic.

Wait...you're my age (54)?  You weren't married at the time, right?  I saw it in the theater too, but I was 16.

:lol Wow false memory alert! Thanks for correcting me. We’ve seen so many movies together I kinda assumed . . .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8333 on: February 06, 2022, 08:59:57 PM »
Don’t Look Up

Brilliant film. Very much in the same vein as Wag the Dog and Men Who Stare at Goats.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8334 on: February 07, 2022, 10:35:25 AM »
WarGames is fantastic.

:lol Wow false memory alert! Thanks for correcting me. We’ve seen so many movies together I kinda assumed . . .

LOL...I was thinking maybe you were high school sweethearts or something like that.   :lol

Don’t Look Up

Brilliant film. Very much in the same vein as Wag the Dog and Men Who Stare at Goats.

Meh...

Parts of it were good, but it got too stupid at points and too preachy toward the end (although it refrained from being too politically biased).  Worth watching, but I'd give it no better than a B/B-.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8335 on: February 07, 2022, 10:53:50 AM »
Fight Club

Watched it yesterday for the first time.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8336 on: February 07, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »
Nightmare alley (2021)

Nice.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #8337 on: February 09, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »
Fight Club

Watched it yesterday for the first time.

What did you think? One of my favourite movies of all time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8338 on: February 11, 2022, 09:57:58 AM »
I don't know what possessed me to watch a movie called Canadian Bacon last night, but I did. I had never seen it before, but John Candy is a riot. I enjoyed the film.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8339 on: February 11, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »
Sisters (1972)

It didn't endure the test of time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:36:50 AM by JediKnight1969 »

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8340 on: February 13, 2022, 07:23:18 AM »
Ironweed (1987)

Streep & Nicholson.

'Nuff said.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #8341 on: February 13, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »
Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Entertaining little diversion.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8342 on: February 15, 2022, 04:51:19 AM »
I don't know what possessed me to watch a movie called Canadian Bacon last night, but I did. I had never seen it before, but John Candy is a riot. I enjoyed the film.

John Candy can do no wrong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8343 on: February 15, 2022, 07:15:33 AM »

John Candy can do no wrong.

The bed scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8344 on: February 17, 2022, 07:58:22 AM »
Red Notice on Netflix.

The Rock is pitted against Deadpool and Wonder Woman while trying to prevent these two world class thieves to get their hands on Cleopatra's legendary eggs.

It's the right amount of stupid, the plot is ridiculous and over the top, but if you want some great action scenes and some funny gags, this is the movie for you. At least the movie KNOWS it's silly and never hides it, some other movies of the genre take themselves too seriously but this is intentionally over the top and doesn't hide it.

Anyway, is it me or Ryan Renolds is basically Ryan Renolds in every movie he's in? great guy and great actor, but I can hardly tell his characters apart.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8345 on: February 17, 2022, 08:03:33 AM »
Red Notice on Netflix.

The Rock is pitted against Deadpool and Wonder Woman while trying to prevent these two world class thieves to get their hands on Cleopatra's legendary eggs.

It's the right amount of stupid, the plot is ridiculous and over the top, but if you want some great action scenes and some funny gags, this is the movie for you. At least the movie KNOWS it's silly and never hides it, some other movies of the genre take themselves too seriously but this is intentionally over the top and doesn't hide it.

Anyway, is it me or Ryan Renolds is basically Ryan Renolds in every movie he's in? great guy and great actor, but I can hardly tell his characters apart.

Pretty much; I saw snippets of Red Notice and he's that same sort of dry, snarky, character that he was in that movie where he's the AI character in the video game, and the Deadpool movies (though Deadpool is just better all around because of the surroundings).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8346 on: February 17, 2022, 08:05:15 AM »
I will admit that he's basically just Ryan in every movie, but he was definitely not a snarky character in Free Guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8347 on: February 17, 2022, 08:16:19 AM »
Anyway, is it me or Ryan Renolds is basically Ryan Renolds in every movie he's in?

Not every movie, just the most successful ones.  See Buried for something different.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8348 on: February 17, 2022, 08:45:52 AM »
He's got a new one coming out March 11th on Netflix.  Looks like a Ryan Reynolds character / movie to me.  I'll watch it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8349 on: February 17, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
Red Notice on Netflix.

I always find this to be a bit of an odd complaint/observation.  Isn't that why you want actor/actress X?

I was Red Notice about a month ago.  My wife had watched it and suggested it.  I thought it was a bit too much stupid and struggled to make it to the end.  Reminded of the three Librarian movies with the guy from ER whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8350 on: February 17, 2022, 09:31:03 AM »
I will admit that he's basically just Ryan in every movie, but he was definitely not a snarky character in Free Guy.

Snarky isn't the right word there, I agree.  I don't know that there is a word in the English language that covers it, but I know it when I see it.   :) :) :)

I always find this to be a bit of an odd complaint/observation.  Isn't that why you want actor/actress X?

It's a fine line.  You always know it's DeNiro, or Pacino, or DiCaprio, but there's a sort of je ne sais quoi that elevates it from a cardboard cutout.   Lesser actors - I would put people like Stallone, Rogen, too many others to name - it's a caricature that you're looking for.  Samuel L. Jackson is there now (though he can be a good actor).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8351 on: February 17, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »
Well, depends, some times it works and some other it doesn't, but in theory the role of an actor is to become the character, rather than being "himself" in a different role.

Take Gary Oldman for example, he's been Dracula, he's been Churchill, he's been the bad guy, he's been a police officer in a town where a rich guy dresses like a bat.... he's played so many different roles, Ryan Renolds just look like Ryan Renolds all the time (or most of it).

It's not even a dis at Ryan, there are so many actors being typecast, or that seem to play the same character everywhere, it's not a bad thing per se, but once you notice it, you can't really un-notice it.

Case in point: I don't even remember the name of Ryan's character in the movie, while - first example that comes to mind - when I see Dr. Strange I see Dr. Strange and when I see BBC's Sherlock Holmes I see (a) Sherlock Holmes, and not Benny Cumberbatch in both cases.

Another example, I've seen Jim parsons being Sheldon Cooper in 674 episodes of The Big Bang Theory, and yet in Hollywood he was able to pass off as someone else, playing a different character. It's always nice to see an actor becomes a character rather than remembering him from other movies.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8352 on: February 17, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
in theory the role of an actor is to become the character, rather than being "himself" in a different role.

In theory, yes, usually.  Sometimes you just want to see Arnold, or Vin Diesel, or The Rock or whoever, being badass and busting shit up.  It usually helps if there's a cohesive story, but that's not necessarily a requirement.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8353 on: February 17, 2022, 11:54:16 AM »
  Reminded of the three Librarian movies with the guy from ER whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Noah Wyle.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8354 on: February 19, 2022, 01:27:42 AM »
Watched The King's Man last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Very different from the first two (which bothered a couple of the fam) but I thought it was excellent. A unique, violent, funny, moving take on the period of WW1 and a great prequel. Laughed a lot and was very moved too. Ralph Fiennes is great (as is everyone else in it). A little historical knowledge is needed to get the key references but not much.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8355 on: February 19, 2022, 11:46:20 AM »
We watched it last night as well, and my reaction is pretty much the same.  Different, but some elements were similar to the first two (they sure didn't hold back on the violence and language).  Overall, not a lot of connection to the first two, but still a prequel.  And yeah, the historical references added another layer.  I always enjoy historical fiction that integrates known facts with stuff that could have been going on behind the scenes, when it's done well.  And this was done well.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8356 on: February 20, 2022, 01:16:06 AM »
The tone of the action scenes was largely the same, I thought, and really had that comic book, OTT vibe. (I've not read the original comic) For example, the scene with the big, bearded baddie at the top of the elevator was full of massive violence and hilarious. Something about his wordless roaring had me laughing my ass off.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8357 on: February 20, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »
Yeah, it was funny and bizarre and over-the-top, and it was great.  Very entertaining.  And being a prequel, it of course not only connects to the main series by establishing The Kingsman, but also setting up its own sequel!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8358 on: February 21, 2022, 01:21:17 AM »
Watched The King's Man last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Very different from the first two (which bothered a couple of the fam) but I thought it was excellent. A unique, violent, funny, moving take on the period of WW1 and a great prequel. Laughed a lot and was very moved too. Ralph Fiennes is great (as is everyone else in it). A little historical knowledge is needed to get the key references but not much.

I'm surprised it got absolutely panned by the critics, I thought it was a much better film than the second one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8359 on: February 21, 2022, 07:21:35 AM »
Yeah, the second film was bizarre.  The way it started, all the weird shit with Elton John, and the nonsensical plot by the main villain.  A true sequel, its goal seemed to be "not just more of the same, but also a bunch of stuff you never asked for".

The King's Man actually made sense and had a decent plot, even if it was crazy.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8360 on: February 21, 2022, 12:27:36 PM »
Anyone ever catch a movie called St. Vincent? It stars Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy (not her typical role) and it's currently on Netflix. I was shocked at how good it was. Best movie I've seen in a while.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8361 on: February 21, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
Saw Remember The Titans Friday, since my stepson watched parts of it in his class and wanted to share it with us.  I've never seen it, but WOW, what a good movie.  Never a huge Denzel fan, but he was great in it, as was Will Patton.   Couldn't stand Hayden Paniettere, but then again I hate precocious kids in movies, so that's on me.

I still cannot believe that Gerry Beltier was played by the same guy (Ryan Hurst) that played Opie in Sons Of Anarchy.  I've literally double-checked it like four times, but sure enough, it is.  Amazing what a beard and stocking cap will do for you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8362 on: February 21, 2022, 12:51:43 PM »
Anyone ever catch a movie called St. Vincent? It stars Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy (not her typical role) and it's currently on Netflix. I was shocked at how good it was. Best movie I've seen in a while.

My wife and I went and saw this when it was in the theater and we absolutely adored it! It was one of those movies where Bill was trying to shoot for some sort of an Oscar role. This one fell a little bit short, but I still think he did an amazing job as the old curmudgeon. It reminds me of a role that Walter Matthau might’ve taken in the 80s.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8363 on: February 21, 2022, 01:20:16 PM »

I saw it in theaters, I believe I set up a double feature for myself with this and Whiplash. I thought it was pretty good, but I'm also a big Bill Murray fan.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8364 on: February 21, 2022, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm surprised it got absolutely panned by the critics, I thought it was a much better film than the second one.

Totally. The second one was poor, imo.