Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561139 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8190 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
There is something about the acting too, especially in those Hammer films, for example. And it isn't like I dislike "old" films, or B&W films.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8191 on: October 29, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »
I saw Hocus Pocus last night for the first time. I totally get the cult love for that film now. What a fun movie! I was legit belly laughing at times, the hardest probably being the scene when they encountered the "black river". The delivery of "Tis' firm!" hit me right in the funny bone for some reason. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8192 on: October 29, 2021, 03:07:09 PM »
That's a great movie!  Sure, it's "Disney safe" but it's fun as hell.  Countless great, quotable lines, perfect casting, and even a slightly original story.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8193 on: October 29, 2021, 11:03:02 PM »
My 10 year old loved that movie when we watched it last year around Halloween. I think I was on little kid duty (meaning the 3 year old couldn't sit still and we have to leave) because I don't remember seeing much of it, and I don't recall ever seeing it before.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #8194 on: October 30, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
Watched "Wild Hogs" last night.  I forgot how funny that movie really is.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8195 on: November 02, 2021, 06:44:35 AM »
The Maltese Falcon

I've seen it before, of course (but it's been a LONG time), but I heard about this "thing" called Noirvember, and that sounded fun.  So I will catch as many film noir movies as I can (which won't be all that many) this month.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8196 on: November 06, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »
Silent Hill

First time I watched it. Wish they would have just followed the game directing without making changes, but I liked it none the less.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8197 on: November 08, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »
The Maltese Falcon

I've seen it before, of course (but it's been a LONG time), but I heard about this "thing" called Noirvember, and that sounded fun.  So I will catch as many film noir movies as I can (which won't be all that many) this month.

That sounds cool! I remember the first time I saw that, I believe when I was in high school and was trying to get in to older films, and thought during most of it "nothing is really happening here." Which, by the standards of what I was used to watching, was true. I have wanted to watch this again, I know I owned it on DVD but I purged quite a bit of them a while ago.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8198 on: November 09, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
The Maltese Falcon

That sounds cool! I remember the first time I saw that, I believe when I was in high school and was trying to get in to older films, and thought during most of it "nothing is really happening here." Which, by the standards of what I was used to watching, was true. I have wanted to watch this again, I know I owned it on DVD but I purged quite a bit of them a while ago.
It's on HBO MAX, if you have that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8199 on: November 09, 2021, 07:05:25 AM »
The Harder They Fall

A new Netflix film that is a Black Western.  VERY entertaining, with a fantastic cast, some great visual cues, tongue in cheek while still being serious, and an anachronistic soundtrack.  Very entertaining.

Eternals

Another fine Marvel film, although one completely unlike the ones that came before it.  A visual masterpiece.  It's gotten some criticism, but I find a good bit of it unwarranted.  I think some people are just feeling super hero fatigue, or for some reason think they should, and let that color their viewpoints.  But this is a visual masterpiece, best seen on IMAX if possible.

Summer School

An old favorite from when I was a kid.  Directed by Carl Reiner, I was thrilled to find it on HBO MAX.  Two thumbs up!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8200 on: November 09, 2021, 07:18:15 AM »
Was Summer School the one with Mark Harmon playing the teacher Hef?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8201 on: November 09, 2021, 07:28:31 AM »
Mark Harmon is dreamy. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8202 on: November 09, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »
I loved Summer School!

There was a period when every time a teacher said "time's up" during a multiple choice test my friend and I would say "C.... C.... C...."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8203 on: November 09, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »
Was Summer School the one with Mark Harmon playing the teacher Hef?
Yessiree Bob.

Mark Harmon is dreamy.
You know it.

I loved Summer School!

There was a period when every time a teacher said "time's up" during a multiple choice test my friend and I would say "C.... C.... C...."
Same.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8204 on: November 09, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »

:lol   Same here! I still do it when the opportunity arises......and am the only one who gets the reference 99% of the time.

Such a fun movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8205 on: November 09, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
Fake ! Purse ! Ninjas !

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8206 on: November 09, 2021, 09:26:25 PM »
Army of One - Syfy level garbage. Wow that was bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8207 on: November 10, 2021, 06:09:49 AM »
I loved Summer School!

I always locws the line Harmon had after the one student tells him that he is at his sexual peak and it is all downhill after that... "But it's a helluva ride."  :lol :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8208 on: November 10, 2021, 09:34:45 AM »
I loved Summer School!

I always locws the line Harmon had after the one student tells him that he is at his sexual peak and it is all downhill after that... "But it's a helluva ride."  :lol :lol :lol
I was interested to learn that Roger Ebert gave this 1/2 a star.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8209 on: November 10, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
Sunset Boulevard

Continuing my exploration of Noirvember, I finally saw this classic that had previously escaped me.  Wow, what a great film.  I am so mad at myself for never having seen it before.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8210 on: November 10, 2021, 09:18:38 PM »
I don't remember anything about that, it's been too long. But I'd watch William Holden mow grass for 2 hours.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8211 on: November 11, 2021, 06:28:22 AM »
I don't remember anything about that, it's been too long. But I'd watch William Holden mow grass for 2 hours.
:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8212 on: November 11, 2021, 06:36:19 AM »
I loved Summer School!

I was interested to learn that Roger Ebert gave this 1/2 a star.

Not surprised.  Movie critics rarely give comedies high marks (which is why we never see comedies on those list of greatest films ever that are usually comprised of lists made by critics), and a silly comedy like Summer School is largely meant to appeal to a certain demographic (see: not movie critics).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8213 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:09 AM »
I actually agreed with Ebert more often than not, and he was fine with a lot of comedies.

I was just surprised because I didn't think that he would think that poorly of this one in particular.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8214 on: November 11, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
I actually agreed with Ebert more often than not, and he was fine with a lot of comedies.

I was just surprised because I didn't think that he would think that poorly of this one in particular.

To be fair, you almost have to be a certain age to have liked it. If you weren't a teenager or close to it when it came out, you probably wouldn't think much of it.  I stopped recommending it to younger folks years ago because everyone I had done so prior thought it was lame and a waste of their time.  It feels very much like a "you had to be there" film, kind of like Teen Wolf.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8215 on: November 11, 2021, 04:51:41 PM »
To be fair, you almost have to be a certain age to have liked it. If you weren't a teenager or close to it when it came out, you probably wouldn't think much of it.  I stopped recommending it to younger folks years ago because everyone I had done so prior thought it was lame and a waste of their time.  It feels very much like a "you had to be there" film, kind of like Teen Wolf.

A lot of stuff from the '80s feels like that (and probably the same for prior decades for older folks).  That's why I was so gratified that my daughter adores Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8216 on: November 11, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

That line goes to what Kev is saying.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8217 on: November 11, 2021, 07:08:26 PM »
 :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8218 on: November 12, 2021, 02:41:38 AM »
I still have not seen Bill And Ted face The Music.

I've heard from most people that it's good but messy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8219 on: November 12, 2021, 07:30:10 AM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

I never liked that movie.

I'm still gonna make my youngest watch it lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8220 on: November 12, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
I still have not seen Bill And Ted face The Music.

I've heard from most people that it's good but messy.

Good but messy?  Not exactly sure what "messy" might mean in this context.

The first movie is...well...EXCELLENT!  It's an absolute classic.  They hit on pretty much every stupid/funny thing they did.  In the second movie, they tried to make a carbon copy and, IMO, it was mostly dumb (although it had some high points).

As for the third movie...there's a Bill & Ted thread you could find pretty easily if you want, and we spent a bit of time discussing it (so, spoilers).  In sum, FTM is better than the second, but it still lacks the charm and innocence of the first movie.  The ending is a little weird, and I think it kinda tried to be more than a Bill & Ted movie needs to be.  Certainly worth watching.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8221 on: November 12, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

I LOVE that movie.  That may be the quintessential "you had to be there" movie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8222 on: November 12, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

What movie is it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8223 on: November 12, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

Better Off Dead.

What movie is it?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8224 on: November 12, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
"I want my 2 dollars!"

What movie is it?

Better Off Dead.

For whatever reason, I don't think I ever saw that.  May need to remedy that.