Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554769 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8120 on: August 18, 2021, 08:25:43 AM »
Whoa Clerks 3?!

I really enjoyed 2 but don't remember much about it. Did a little research to refresh my memory and see that promo pic is a recreation of one from 2. Awesome!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8121 on: August 18, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
I had to look up who Elias was.  Guess that shows how little I remember from the sequel, which I thought was okay and never saw more than once.  The first is still hilarious. though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8122 on: August 18, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
Never saw 2, but caught a couple of snippets on YT. I'm guessing Elias was the Bible-thumper they were singing Kind Diamond at. I wasn't aware he was a main character, but it does make me wonder about the cross Dante is wearing on that poster.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8123 on: August 18, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »
Never saw 2, but caught a couple of snippets on YT. I'm guessing Elias was the Bible-thumper they were singing Kind Diamond at. I wasn't aware he was a main character, but it does make me wonder about the cross Dante is wearing on that poster.

Elias was the kid they were basically corrupting. Well, Randal anyway. He wasn't so much a bible thumper as a super pure nerd. I think he'd put LOTR as his bible.

And Kevin Smith is quite Catholic, so he usually makes his people Catholic as well. Progressive Catholics, questioning Catholics, anti-establishment Catholics, for sure, but Catholic none the less.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8124 on: August 18, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
I'm not being Mister Miserable Kotowboy - but - anyone else think Kevin Smith films are just dreadful ?

I think the only one I enjoyed was Dogma and everything else was TERRIBLE.

I recently went to his YouTube channel and all his videos are " WHY THIS SUCKS ".   :facepalm:

I can't watch videos like that. I'd rather watch " Everything Great About..."

Even Red Letter Media try to find the good in awful films if there is any.

And Kevin Smith is quite Catholic, so he usually makes his people Catholic as well. Progressive Catholics, questioning Catholics, anti-establishment Catholics, for sure, but Catholic none the less.

I read that he renounced all that.

Online Adami

« Reply #8125 on: August 18, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »
I like all of his classic films through clerks 2. Even liked Jersey Girl.

Haven’t liked much since and I only kinda liked reboot.

Dunno what you mean about his YouTube channel. Everything he has talked about for the last however many years is pure positivity. He is the best hype man ive seen. The only person he trash talks is himself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8126 on: August 18, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
There's no harm in that; something like 22% of the U.S. population is Catholic.  Chuck Lorre inevitably has his characters' first girlfriend as "Sarah Goldstein".  You write what you know.

He was just on Celebrity Family Feud, and other than being a HORRIBLE dresser he seemed cool.  Clearly loves his wife, and he brought both Jason Mewes and Drew Carey as parts of his team, so...

Online Adami

« Reply #8127 on: August 18, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »
There's no harm in that; something like 22% of the U.S. population is Catholic.  Chuck Lorre inevitably has his characters' first girlfriend as "Sarah Goldstein".  You write what you know.

He was just on Celebrity Family Feud, and other than being a HORRIBLE dresser he seemed cool.  Clearly loves his wife, and he brought both Jason Mewes and Drew Carey as parts of his team, so...

Definitely no harm. I think it's just cause his movies tend to be very critical of Catholicism. Likely because it's how he grew up and while he still firmly believes in a lot of their stuff, he has a lot of problems with them. So it might seem odd to have one of his characters don a cross. Though I think it's right in line with him.

And Kevin does seem like a very cool guy, especially post-heart attack. I watch a lot of his youtube stuff and he's just so filled with joy and gratitude. I actually don't like watching his reviews because he is TOO positive. "They said the name of a character I know!?! BEST MOVIE EVER! DIRECTOR IS A GENIUS! WHO ARE THE GODS THAT HAVE BESTOWED THIS UPON MY UNWORTHY EYES?!?!"

And it's always genuine. If anything, I would want Smith reviewing my stuff. I doubt I'll ever get as big an ego boost as he would likely provide.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8128 on: August 19, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
Yesterday I watched The Expendables 2 and 3 haha exactly what I was looking for.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8129 on: August 20, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »
Cruella. It was quite good I must say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8130 on: August 20, 2021, 03:28:23 PM »
I know it might not be "fair" but I have some kind of automatic dismissive attitude regarding Disney doing all these prequels and live-action versions of their established properties.  Sure, it's theirs and they can do what they want with it.  But things like Maleficent and Cruella and whatever the movie was with the huntsman from Snow White... they just seems like stories I never really wanted or needed.  Take the bad guy (or girl), or some minor character, and build a whole movie around them?  And then sequels?  Why?

That said, if the stories themselves are good, more power to anybody who likes them.  I guess I just don't see the attraction.  Well, with Emma Stone I can see the attraction (:eyebrows:) but you know what I mean.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8131 on: August 22, 2021, 01:04:20 AM »
Kevin Smith films have always been a little clunky, I think, but there's some beautiful moments in there.

For me, Clerks is a pivotal film. I worked in a video shop when it came out and it was this cheap, black and white film about some young people about my age and the script was scorching. Just SO good. From working in shops, lifestyle, attitudes, relationships, pop culture, metal, weed, arguments about Star Wars, it was right on the money at that time in my life.

I've not seen Reboot (or Jersey Girl...) but I've never seen one of his movies that didn't delight or resonate with me in some way. Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Clerks 2, Strike Back. They all have some cool stuff in there and a different perspective from the norm in some way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8132 on: August 23, 2021, 06:46:14 AM »
I know it might not be "fair" but I have some kind of automatic dismissive attitude regarding Disney doing all these prequels and live-action versions of their established properties.  Sure, it's theirs and they can do what they want with it.  But things like Maleficent and Cruella and whatever the movie was with the huntsman from Snow White... they just seems like stories I never really wanted or needed.  Take the bad guy (or girl), or some minor character, and build a whole movie around them?  And then sequels?  Why?

That said, if the stories themselves are good, more power to anybody who likes them.  I guess I just don't see the attraction.  Well, with Emma Stone I can see the attraction (:eyebrows:) but you know what I mean.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8133 on: August 23, 2021, 09:40:57 AM »
I found myself watching a child for a few hours over the weekend and we watched Despicable Me. I had never seen it before. What a fun movie! I found it hilarious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8134 on: August 23, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
I found myself watching a child for a few hours over the weekend and we watched Despicable Me. I had never seen it before. What a fun movie! I found it hilarious.

My kids were 8 and 6 when it came out, so we saw it in the theater, and I remember I liked it a lot.  As with anything like that, they milked it until it died (although they're continuing to milk it).  I don't particularly recall the second one, but the third one was devoted to the minions, and I recall it kind of sucking.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8135 on: August 23, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »
I was in the hospital for surgery some years back, and on some really good painkillers, and watched Despicable Me two or three times.  I thought it was a really good movie, but I was high as fuck so obviously I wasn't in any condition to judge.  A few years ago, I caught it on cable TV (remember cable TV?) and watched it again for old time's sake.  It was still a good movie.  Good message, great voice acting.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8136 on: August 23, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »

That said, if the stories themselves are good, more power to anybody who likes them.  I guess I just don't see the attraction.  Well, with Emma Stone I can see the attraction ( :eyebrows: ) but you know what I mean.

Something like Maleficent, where they completely turn the story on its head, and do a new angle on the idea can be interesting.  These recent remakes where they basically just shoot the same movie but in live action instead of animated seem completely pointless to me.  The "live action" Lion King, doubly so.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8137 on: August 23, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »

That said, if the stories themselves are good, more power to anybody who likes them.  I guess I just don't see the attraction.  Well, with Emma Stone I can see the attraction ( :eyebrows: ) but you know what I mean.

Something like Maleficent, where they completely turn the story on its head, and do a new angle on the idea can be interesting.  These recent remakes where they basically just shoot the same movie but in live action instead of animated seem completely pointless to me.  The "live action" Lion King, doubly so.

I can't say I remember it all that well, but I thought Maleficent was really good.  It sort of put the same spin on the story as Wicked did on the Wizard of Oz.  I haven't seen any of the recent live action remakes because I have no interest for the reasons mentioned.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8138 on: August 23, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
A coworker suggested (and loaned me) Tampopo which I watched last night. Wonderful Japanese comedy. I followed the main story line just fine, but never did figure out the point of the little side sketches they threw in, which seemed to have nothing to do with the rest of the film.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8139 on: August 23, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »

I can't say I remember it all that well, but I thought Maleficent was really good.  It sort of put the same spin on the story as Wicked did on the Wizard of Oz.  I haven't seen any of the recent live action remakes because I have no interest for the reasons mentioned.

My wife was watching Maleficent and I sat and watched most of it with her.  Production values seemed high, acting was fine, it was a Disney flick so in my mind it's a given that the movie is high-quality.  So I guess it comes down to the story itself.  The whole time I was thinking "Okay, so we learn why she turned out to be such a bitch.  Why?"  But again, a good story is a good story, and if people like stuff like this, cool.  I'm probably overthinking it, as usual.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8140 on: August 26, 2021, 05:49:33 AM »

I've not seen any of them but it was showing in an HMV one day on the screens and I was watching it and it seemed pretty funny.

I think it was the scene where Gru(?) was trying to get into a castle or something.

It reminded me of a scene from one of the Pink panther films where Clousea keeps failing to get into a castle.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8141 on: August 26, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
The third one, "Minions", is hilarious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8142 on: August 26, 2021, 09:41:26 AM »

The minions were cool in the first one.  They kind of stole the show.  When it was 100% minion, it was too much.

It was like when they made the Joey spinoff of Friends.  Joey was a great character on Friends, but he couldn't carry an entire show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8143 on: August 26, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »

The minions were cool in the first one.  They kind of stole the show.  When it was 100% minion, it was too much.

It was like when they made the Joey spinoff of Friends.  Joey was a great character on Friends, but he couldn't carry an entire show.

See, I hadn't seen any of the previous films yet when I watched Minions with my grandson.  I just thought it was cute, and I like the Minion voices.   And for some reason, I think the name "Kevin" is funny.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8144 on: August 26, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »

See, I hadn't seen any of the previous films yet when I watched Minions with my grandson.  I just thought it was cute, and I like the Minion voices.   And for some reason, I think the name "Kevin" is funny.

I can see that making a big difference.  There's a lot to like about them, and the names are part of it.  There should be one named Tim, but I don't think there is.   :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8145 on: September 06, 2021, 01:49:20 AM »
The last movie I saw at the Theater was the last of the Star Wars sequel.  After that, covid hit.  Anybody been to the movies lately?  I'm worried that the movie theater is on it's way out..  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8146 on: September 06, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
I went and saw something in September 2020.  Can't remember if it was Empire Strikes Back (40th anniversary) or something else.

I'll be back as soon as there's something I want to see.  I kinda want to see Free Guy, so maybe I'll do that next weekend.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8147 on: September 06, 2021, 03:17:05 PM »
The last movie I saw at the Theater was the last of the Star Wars sequel.  After that, covid hit.  Anybody been to the movies lately?  I'm worried that the movie theater is on it's way out..  :(

I saw Black Widow opening weekend and I saw Kong vs Godzilla a bit before that.

KvsG was a mostly empty theater, but BW was about half full with spacing.

I wanted to see Shang-Chi this weekend but I’m waiting to go with my best friend who wants to wait til next weekend when it probably won’t be as full.

I’m also hoping to see Dune if the variant breakout doesn’t get worse.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8148 on: September 06, 2021, 08:10:58 PM »
Movie theaters will adapt. Just as sports stadiums/arenas are having to now. They know many fans are content to watch their team play on their 80" UHD set with their buddies on their comfy couch with cold beer in the fridge that didn't cost $20 a cup and their cars parked in their garage and not in a lot for $50. So they are trying to enhance the live experience for the fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8149 on: September 07, 2021, 06:09:04 AM »
I think Super Troopers 2 was the last movie I saw in theaters, and that was 4/20/2018.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8150 on: September 07, 2021, 06:38:51 AM »
Honestly, I'm not all that jazzed about not seeing anything in theaters.   I think I might have seen one since, but the last film I can remember was the third 50 Shades movie, and there was a woman behind me having a running conversation with Christian Grey the entire movie.  I probably shot her 25 looks and she didn't give a rat's ass (and in fact kicked the back of my chair as she was leaving at the end).    Bitch.   

No one is kicking my chair in my living room.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8151 on: September 07, 2021, 06:44:35 AM »
My brother and I watched the newest Mortal Kombat movie at home and well, if you keep you expectations low it's a pretty good time. I prefer the original still but that's probably due to some rose-colored glasses.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8152 on: September 07, 2021, 09:46:24 AM »
We watched The Suicide Squad over the weekend.

Holy shit, that was fun.  Easily my favorite of the modern DC films.  DC should hire James Gunn to run their whole enterprise.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8153 on: September 07, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
This will probably be sacrilege to some....

I'm just shy of my 54th birthday, and I had never previously seen Rudy.  I mentioned that to a friend a while back, and he gave me crap for it, so I recorded it off HBO and finally got around to watching it over the weekend.  Probably the biggest reason I didn't see it around the time it came out is that I've never really cared about minor league/college football, so my reaction is probably colored by that and by knowing how distorted the climax was (primarily from Joe Montana's interviews).

Anyway, I wasn't particularly impressed.  The first half of the movie was really boring.  They did a good job of setting up Rudy as a hard worker, but they didn't do a particularly good job of setting up a connection between Rudy, his father and Notre Dame football.  I also didn't find Rudy to be particularly likable -- especially when he basically walked away from his childhood girlfriend.  They also set up a bunch of stuff without making it pay off.  There was no payoff with the girl who was in charge of the student booster group or with Rudy's brother.  And the end where he nearly quit because he wasn't originally picked to suit up for the last home game (which wasn't the last game of the season) was pretty lame.  The best character was Fortune who called Rudy on his crap.

I think I might have enjoyed it had I seen it around the time it was released.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8154 on: September 07, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
I fucking hate Rudy.  Which is probably more sacrilegious to some than you not yet having seen it.