Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560502 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #8085 on: July 31, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
Starting tomorrow I will have the house to myself for 9 days. Since I have no social life and am not currently engrossed in a video game, I plan to do something I rarely get to do in this house: watch movies I want to watch! So... make some recommendations.

I prefer dramas, thrillers, suspense. Do not recommend any Superhero films, comedies, or mindless action films. Go!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8086 on: July 31, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
Starting tomorrow I will have the house to myself for 9 days. Since I have no social life and am not currently engrossed in a video game, I plan to do something I rarely get to do in this house: watch movies I want to watch! So... make some recommendations.

I prefer dramas, thrillers, suspense. Do not recommend any Superhero films, comedies, or mindless action films. Go!
Haven't you been keeping a list of movies I've been recommending?  Should be like 15 by now. :lol

Watch The Big Country. My favorite of all Westerns, and an extraordinary cast.

Twilight's Last Gleaming--Burt Lancaster commandeers a missile silo and threatens to start WWIII. Richard Widmark is against the idea.
Seven Days in May--Bur Lancaster plots to overthrow the US government. Kirk Douglas is against the idea.
These are both early 70s political thrillers from Aldrich and Frankenheimer, with taught directing and great bits of tension.

More modern, American Beauty--Keven Spacey undergoes the world's greatest midlife transformation, then gets killed for it. One of my favorites.

SOB--early 80s comedy, with an allstat cast. William Holden's last film, and a fitting end.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8087 on: July 31, 2021, 03:49:09 PM »
I know! I always say I make a mental note when you mention a film I should see. But at this stage in my life, my mental note-taking is not up to snuff.

You've talked about a dramatic role Richard Mulligan had that was nothing like his comedic ones that you found particularly moving. Is it SOB?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8088 on: August 01, 2021, 01:33:24 AM »
I know! I always say I make a mental note when you mention a film I should see. But at this stage in my life, my mental note-taking is not up to snuff.

You've talked about a dramatic role Richard Mulligan had that was nothing like his comedic ones that you found particularly moving. Is it SOB?
Nah, that was a Twilight Zone episode called The Toys of Caliban. Downright gut-wrenching. His performance in SOB was excellent, he was a great actor in everything he did, but it was still a comedic role.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8089 on: August 01, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »

More modern, American Beauty--Keven Spacey undergoes the world's greatest midlife transformation, then gets killed for it. One of my favorites.

I have to revisit that.   I remember watching it once, and not really getting into it much. It's probably due for another go.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8090 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:53 AM »
I'm gonna go with a few classics from my 'Top 20' list.  I'd be very surprised if you haven't seen most/all of these, but ya never know.

The Usual Suspects
Heat
True Romance
Enemy of the State
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8091 on: August 01, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
Seen:

American Beauty - Loved it but no desire to watch again.
Usual Suspects - Been a favorite forever, seen countless times. Had a poster on my wall (when bachelorhood allowed me to hang film posters).
Heat - The bank heist and shootout are more entertaining than most films.
True Romance - Know I saw it but don't recall enjoying it.
Enemy of the State - Enjoyed this one as well, more than I thought I would.

Never done a film ranking. Usual Suspects would probably make the Top 20. Heat wouldn't be too far behind,

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8092 on: August 01, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
Seen:

Usual Suspects - Been a favorite forever, seen countless times. Had a poster on my wall (when bachelorhood allowed me to hang film posters).

Never done a film ranking. Usual Suspects would probably make the Top 20. Heat wouldn't be too far behind,
Everybody points to the Hopper/Walken scene as the highlight of the movie, and while it's excellent, the final showdown is just superb. Maybe the best Mexican standoff I've seen on film. It wasn't perfect, it was missing a couple of elements*, but it was top notch. Having new arrivals join in that don't speak English was an inspired touch.

And it was preceded by the scene tormenting Bronson Pinchot in the elevator, which is one of my favorites. Chris Penn and Tom Sizemore are fantastic in that scene. Chris Penn was a big loss.

*The perfect Mexican standoff has to have at least two groups, with at least two more joining in. People have to change loyalties. "No, actually I'm with those guys," and then everybody changes who they're aiming at. And at least one of the groups has to be a complete unknown to the others. The best of them will always have a "who the fuck are those guys!" thrown in.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8093 on: August 01, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »

I have to revisit that.   I remember watching it once, and not really getting into it much. It's probably due for another go.
It's pretty slow to start. The first third is just Spacey lusting after Mena Suvari, and while there's certainly nothing wrong with that, it's not until the neighbor kid gets him high and he begins his new life that the movie really shines.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8094 on: August 01, 2021, 08:31:53 PM »
Knives Out. I am not a great wordsmith, and don't like to bloviate or pontificate here, so this will not be the most erudite or articulate review:

What a fucking boss movie that was!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8095 on: August 02, 2021, 06:43:41 AM »
Knives Out. I am not a great wordsmith, and don't like to bloviate or pontificate here, so this will not be the most erudite or articulate review:

HAHA, great post. 

To El Barto's point: Chris Penn WAS a big loss.  I liked him as much as I dislike his brother (Sean; I'm indifferent on Michael).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8096 on: August 02, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »

HAHA, great post. 

To El Barto's point: Chris Penn WAS a big loss.  I liked him as much as I dislike his brother (Sean; I'm indifferent on Michael).

Don't make me slap you Stads.  Try his album "MP4: Days Since a Lost Time Accident."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8097 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »

Just seeing this now, I am jealous, I could so use the house to myself and just watch movies, shows and concerts.

If you haven't seen it, or want to rewatch, some of my recs

90s/2000s Drama/thrillers:

Seven aka Se7en
The Game
Collateral (Tom Cruise's best serious role IMO)
L.A. Confidential
Memento

Modern dramas/thrillers

- Sicario
- Hell or High Water
- Windriver

These three are sort of an unofficial trilogy as they are written by the same writer but different directors apart from the last one, and they are all amazing in their own way.

Other movies similar to Knives Out
- The Nice Guys
- Logan Lucky
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8098 on: August 03, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »

HAHA, great post. 

Don't make me slap you Stads.  Try his album "MP4: Days Since a Lost Time Accident."

HAHA, I will. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8099 on: August 03, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »
Seen:

Everybody points to the Hopper/Walken scene as the highlight of the movie, and while it's excellent, the final showdown is just superb. Maybe the best Mexican standoff I've seen on film. It wasn't perfect, it was missing a couple of elements*, but it was top notch. Having new arrivals join in that don't speak English was an inspired touch.

And it was preceded by the scene tormenting Bronson Pinchot in the elevator, which is one of my favorites. Chris Penn and Tom Sizemore are fantastic in that scene. Chris Penn was a big loss.

*The perfect Mexican standoff has to have at least two groups, with at least two more joining in. People have to change loyalties. "No, actually I'm with those guys," and then everybody changes who they're aiming at. And at least one of the groups has to be a complete unknown to the others. The best of them will always have a "who the fuck are those guys!" thrown in.

"He's gonna shoot him."  Chris Penn's deadpan delivery of that line kills me every time.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8100 on: August 03, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »
Seen:

"He's gonna shoot him."  Chris Penn's deadpan delivery of that line kills me every time.
It was Sizemore turning on a dime that got me. "He's bluffing you Elliot! He's not going to shoot him. He's not going to shoot him. He's gonna shoot him."
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8101 on: August 03, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »
Seven Days in May--Bur Lancaster plots to overthrow the US government. Kirk Douglas is against the idea.
These are both early 70s political thrillers from Aldrich and Frankenheimer, with taught directing and great bits of tension.

Seven Days in May: Solid, standard Cold War fare. I’ve never been too high on either Douglas and Lancaster, though Douglas shines in Paths of Glory. Did a double-take at the opening credits seeing Fredric March and Martin Balsam listed. Was a movie ever not better for having Martin Balsam in it? For me, when it comes to Cold War films, it is Fail-Safe, and everything else.

Just seeing this now, I am jealous, I could so use the house to myself and just watch movies, shows and concerts.
Well, I do have a Honey-Do list….

If you haven't seen it, or want to rewatch, some of my recs
Seven aka Se7en
The Game
Collateral (Tom Cruise's best serious role IMO)
L.A. Confidential
Memento

It’s like you and Chad mind-melded with me to tap in to my Top 25 Films from the Past 25 Years list. LA Confidential was one of my most impactful cinematic experiences. When the film was over, it was like I forgot where I was for a minute, and wondered if I had even moved for the previous 2 hours. I rented Memento with a gal-pal. When she left that night, I watched it again. Then a third time before I returned it.

Chris Penn and Tom Sizemore are fantastic in that scene. Chris Penn was a big loss.
I was going to say Tom Sizemore was a big loss too, but I just checked his Wikipedia page, and apparently he is still working, and, more importantly, alive.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8102 on: August 04, 2021, 06:10:35 AM »
Another under-rated gem (imo) is 2 Days in the Valley.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8103 on: August 04, 2021, 09:02:19 AM »
Was a movie ever not better for having Martin Balsam in it? For me, when it comes to Cold War films, it is Fail-Safe, and everything else.
Nope. It occurred to me that I've probably seen more movies with him in them than any other actor. And they're all winners. Even some of the forgotten ones. From 12 Angry Men all the way to Death Wish 3, with a long stopover at Archie Bunker's Place, he was always great.

Don't care for Kirk, either, though he was very good in this. Big Lancaster fan, though. The final scene with him and Frederick March is what made the movie, along with some of the editing and camera work.

And yeah, Failsafe is certainly the gold standard. Henry Fonda FTW.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8104 on: August 04, 2021, 09:07:18 AM »
Internet was being spotty so I watched Heart and Souls on DVD.

It's a really great movie. Not very well known, however. It's from 1993 I think with a great cast. Downey Jr., Charles Grodin, Chris Penn, Alfre Woodard, and Kyra Sedgwick.

Plot is that 4 strangers on a bus all die in 1959 and their souls get bound to a baby who was born at that moment and follows that. It's just a really well done sweet movie that I highly recommend. Especially if you like watching a younger Downey Jr. chew up the scenery.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8105 on: August 04, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
Internet was being spotty so I watched Heart and Souls on DVD.

It's a really great movie. Not very well known, however. It's from 1993 I think with a great cast. Downey Jr., Charles Grodin, Chris Penn, Alfre Woodard, and Kyra Sedgwick.

Plot is that 4 strangers on a bus all die in 1959 and their souls get bound to a baby who was born at that moment and follows that. It's just a really well done sweet movie that I highly recommend. Especially if you like watching a younger Downey Jr. chew up the scenery.

I remember that movie and thinking the same about it.  There was another one from around that same time called Defending Your Life that was also pretty good (I think it's Alfred Brooks and Meryl Streep).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

« Reply #8106 on: August 04, 2021, 10:37:54 AM »
Correct! Another fantastic underseen movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8107 on: August 04, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
Never watched either of those but it made me think of All of Me from 1984. Steve Martin physical comedy at some of its greatest.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8108 on: August 04, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
Never watched either of those but it made me think of All of Me from 1984. Steve Martin physical comedy at some of its greatest.

I know I've seen that, but I don't remember it well.  My wife regularly quotes the "Edwina back in bowl" line.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8109 on: August 06, 2021, 07:50:08 PM »
The Martian. Read this a while ago and meant to get around to watching the film. Finally did so. Enjoyed it, solid film. Glad some time passed since reading it, since the novel wasn't so fresh in my mind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8110 on: August 06, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
Seen:

It was Sizemore turning on a dime that got me. "He's bluffing you Elliot! He's not going to shoot him. He's not going to shoot him. He's gonna shoot him."

Haha, yes, that is great as well.  Just a terrific film from start to finish.  Still has one of the most bone-chilling moments I have ever seen in a film, during the scene with Virgil and Alabama.  She bashes him over the head to try to get the advantage, and Virgil shakes it off and spits out, "Okay, no more fucking Mr Nice Guy," and Alabama, already having had the crap beat out of her, utters, "Oh, God."  Arquette's delivery of that line is just perfect, as it conveys how scared shitless she was in that moment.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8111 on: August 07, 2021, 04:13:23 AM »
The Martian. Read this a while ago and meant to get around to watching the film. Finally did so. Enjoyed it, solid film. Glad some time passed since reading it, since the novel wasn't so fresh in my mind.

Very cool one!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8112 on: August 07, 2021, 05:18:40 AM »
jingle.son and I took in Suicide Squad in theatres on Thursday.  First time in 20 months we'd been to the cinema.  Pretty good flick - consider it DC's version of Deadpool - lots of gags, lots of gore, lots of ridiculousness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8113 on: August 09, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
The Bank Job - Wow, was that the best name they could come up with for this stylish heist film? Good movie, lots of suspense, brisk pacing and solid performances. Stayed focused and didn't wonder off in unnecessary directions.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8114 on: August 14, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »
Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)

First time I've seen it and wow, what a movie.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8115 on: August 16, 2021, 06:57:36 PM »
Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody.

Not too good.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8116 on: August 16, 2021, 09:20:17 PM »
Just watched A Quiet Place 2. Ehh…..didn’t think it was nearly as good as the first one. It was alright, the plot itself has built in intensity but nothing to write home about. You can definitely see the obvious third film they set up.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8117 on: August 17, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
Didn't know where to put this, so I'm dropping it here.

First image from Clerks III! I know this is complete sacrilege, but I prefer the second one. I'm super happy to see Elias is back!

Offline Adami

« Reply #8118 on: August 17, 2021, 02:13:53 PM »
Though I prefer the first one, the second one is really good.

Elias is unrecognizable! I wouldn’t have known that was him if you didn’t point it out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8119 on: August 17, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
Holy Crap! that's Elias!? wow, same I wouldn't have figured it out if it wasn't pointed out. Hopefully this is as good as the 2nd one. I too thought it was better than the first one, not taking anything away from the 1st one at all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan