Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560038 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7980 on: May 11, 2021, 07:06:38 AM »
I go into these movies knowing there will be carnage and loss unexplainable. Suspend your disbelief.
And we are entertained..  :corn

I rented "Willy's Wonderland" from Redbox starring Nicholas Cage.  Perhaps one of the most random freakshow movies I've ever seen!   :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7981 on: May 11, 2021, 07:10:50 AM »
I was on my last day of Prime and so I gave a try to JFK, a movie I saw as a teen back in the day, taped from TV and something happened and there was a portion of the final trial missing. Also it was dubbed so I never saw the full movie in original language.

It caught my attention as a young teen, I thought it was absolutely cool as a movie, a time where even conspiracy theories were more "benevolent" and less dangerous and asinine... too bad that the long list of stuff that simply isn't true with the movie is well documented, but still, it was an epic undertaking and it was a who's who of american actors of that time.

So I didn't regret to watch it, it was and still is a monumental and epic movie well worth your time, as long as you know it's a lot of fiction and not much of reality beyond the historical factual events.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7982 on: May 11, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Jackie Brown.  First time watching in over 20 years.

Still great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7983 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
The Mitchells vs. the Machines" is a barrel of fun. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7984 on: May 11, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »

Still great.

And what a soundtrack :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7985 on: May 12, 2021, 08:02:12 AM »

Still great.

And what a soundtrack :hat
Indeed.  But that's almost a given for Tarantino, at this point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7986 on: May 14, 2021, 03:13:17 PM »
I wanted to go back to my childhood, and see with adult eyes an iconic and groundbreaking movie: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

It's an eye candy, and not for the cartoons. Technological and creative solutions to make real actors and cartoons interact aside, the movie is visually beautiful and the astestics, costumes, scenery and framing of the alternate Hollywood of 1947 is gorgeous.

Now, for the movie itself.... who thought it was a brilliant idea to show it to kids?  :lol it's basically a noir filled with violence, sexual overtones and a straight up horror villian. Christopher Lee as Judge Doom (and we complain about Nafayrus as a name?  :lol) is menacing and scary as I remembered him. His plan was a bit wacky - building a freeway? and committing genocide in order to accomplish - but at least it was a plan and it was not a generic world domination scenario.

If you take away the cartoons from the movie, you'd need minimal adjustments of the script to make it a completely adult-oriented film. It IS a great movie, and it's fully deserving of the fame it got over the years, but while I was not personally "scarred" by it, I can imagine some younger kids' reaction in going to see a movie full of toons, and seeing deaths, giant boobs over which all adult men drool over, and a horrific villain. Well, maybe not the villain per se, I thought the final fight scene in the factory was absolutely badass when I saw it back in the day.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:45:19 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7987 on: May 14, 2021, 03:32:38 PM »
Christopher Lloyd.   I saw that in the theaters 5 times. I was obsessed.   I actually can do Roger's voice. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7988 on: May 14, 2021, 03:48:23 PM »
Some fun translation facts: in italian the Dip was called "salamoia", which means brine (the one where you put olives in). And Judge Doom was called Morton, which is less in your face than "doom".

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7989 on: May 15, 2021, 06:21:44 PM »
WFRR is awesome. Disney and Warner Bros toons together? SIGN ME UP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7990 on: May 16, 2021, 05:45:33 AM »

Mickey Mouse AND Bugs Bunny in the same movie? that was like seeing Iron Man and Batman in the same movie 30 years before the MCU was even a thing  ;D

Also, for the series of "Well, it's a famous movie and I never saw it so why not": I saw The Manchurian Candidate (with Denzel Washington). Great psychological-political thriller, with great performances all around.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7991 on: May 16, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »
Love WFRR, one of two VHSs I watched repeatedly as a kid (the other being Ghostbusters)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7992 on: May 17, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »

Mickey Mouse AND Bugs Bunny in the same movie? that was like seeing Iron Man and Batman in the same movie 30 years before the MCU was even a thing  ;D

Also, for the series of "Well, it's a famous movie and I never saw it so why not": I saw The Manchurian Candidate (with Denzel Washington). Great psychological-political thriller, with great performances all around.

I've not seen the recent version, but I liked the one with Sinatra from '62.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7993 on: May 17, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »

I've not seen the recent version, but I liked the one with Sinatra from '62.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7994 on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
It's been a long time since I've seen either Manchurian Candidate film. I do recall liking what they did with the newer one, appreciating the revisions and especially the ending. Updates/remakes don't always go well but I think it is a worthy contribution. You can't make the exact same film because 1) what's the point? and 2) you need to take in to consideration changes in society and cultural norms, and audience expectations. And you can't totally discard the original and make a wholly new film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7995 on: May 21, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »
The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Black humor action movie with Ryan Reynolds as the titular bodyguard, in charge of protecting Samuel L. Jackson, the also titular hitman who has to witness against Gary Oldman in a trial.

It's just the right amount of stupid, lot of action scenes, definitively lot of motherfuckers (I mean, Sam L. Jackson is in the cast, this is not even a spoiler), and some good chuckles here and there!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7996 on: May 21, 2021, 09:21:12 PM »
We saw The Hitman's Bodyguard a while back, and thought it was great.  I can't say I remember a lot about it, but it had Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson and it was a lot of crazy fun.  I totally forgot that Gary Old Man was in it.  He's always great, too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7997 on: May 22, 2021, 04:41:48 AM »
Indeed! I find that, if done right, funny action movies can be more enjoyable than the serious ones. So many fight and action sequences can become totally ridiculous if the tone of the movie is dead serious, when the movie is more easy going and comedic, it's easier to forgive crazyass shit that would never happen in real life.

Depends also from movie to movie, John Wick is serious too, but it's basically a video game with real actors, so all those ludicrous moments can be forgiven and enjoyed for what they are, it's when serious movies try to pull off insane and unlikely stuff that they can come across as pretentious.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7998 on: May 22, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
Indeed! I find that, if done right, funny action movies can be more enjoyable than the serious ones. So many fight and action sequences can become totally ridiculous if the tone of the movie is dead serious, when the movie is more easy going and comedic, it's easier to forgive crazyass shit that would never happen in real life.

Depends also from movie to movie, John Wick is serious too, but it's basically a video game with real actors, so all those ludicrous moments can be forgiven and enjoyed for what they are, it's when serious movies try to pull off insane and unlikely stuff that they can come across as pretentious.

But it's a fine line.  I'm okay with generally suspending reason in these films, but I just can't abide the scenes where the hero is basically fight six armed people with one arm tied behind his/her back and running a stand-up routine like Bill Burr.   If'n you're gonna fight, fight.  If'n you're gonna joke, joke.  You can't rightly joke if you're fightin', and you can't rightly fight if'n you're jokin'.    Or something like that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7999 on: May 22, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »

But it's a fine line.  I'm okay with generally suspending reason in these films, but I just can't abide the scenes where the hero is basically fight six armed people with one arm tied behind his/her back and running a stand-up routine like Bill Burr.   If'n you're gonna fight, fight.  If'n you're gonna joke, joke.  You can't rightly joke if you're fightin', and you can't rightly fight if'n you're jokin'.    Or something like that.

And you don’t hate Marvel movies? They’re all joking and fighting at the same time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8000 on: May 22, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »

And you don’t hate Marvel movies? They’re all joking and fighting at the same time.

I don't know; I see a difference.  Thor: Ragnarok was a great example. That movie was HILARIOUS.  I mean, laugh out loud.  But the battle scenes, especially the ones set to Zeppelin, were anything but.  I thought that was the paradigm of how to do the balancing act.  It also depends on the jokes, too.  They have to be actually FUNNY, and not dumb like "Hasta la vista, baby!" or "I came to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8001 on: May 22, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »
“What Happened Was...”

Directed by Tom Noonan (!) got the Jury Prize at Cannes in ‘94

On the Criterion Channel. Basically a movie about a really awkward/strange first date. As a single guy in his 40s occasionally feeling isolated during the past year, and going through all the dating woes, this movie REALLY struck a chord. Highly recommended.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8002 on: May 22, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
Anyone remember Legend -- early '80s fantasy movie with Tom Cruise, Mia Sara and Tim Curry?  Jon Anderson sang a song at the end of the movie.

My wife usually goes to sleep an hour or two before I do, and this is one of her go to sleep movies, so I've seen it about a bazillion times.  It's pretty cheesy, and Tom Cruise's performance isn't very good, but there are a bunch of parts that are very well done.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8003 on: May 22, 2021, 09:51:10 PM »
Tim Curry as Darkness is awesome in that movie.  Some of the dialogue with the goblins is a riot, too.  "She was so sweet, I could eat her brains like jam!"

I don't remember if Mia Sara did this movie or Ferris Bueller's Day Off first, but this was my introduction to her.  Pretty limited as an actress, I have to admit, but cute.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8004 on: May 23, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
Posted this in the Netflix Thread:

My son and I watched 'Army of the Dead' last night, the David Bautista/Zac Snyder zombie movie. Good lord what a horrible movie. I mean, I get it....it's a zombie movie. But there are 'good' zombie shows/movies and then there are bad. This one was comically bad. I think I expected a little too much from it for one.....and secondly, it's a zombie movie Zac. Don't overthink it. They tried to add some human elements to it that weren't only picked from the top of the cliche pile....they were just done horribly.

If you feel like wasting 2-1/2 hours of your life I recommend watching this show. Otherwise, I suggest investing that time in another movie you've wanted to watch or maybe even intentionally stubbing your pinky toe on a door jamb over and over. Anything but watch this movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8005 on: May 23, 2021, 01:23:07 PM »
The Big Gundown with Lee Van Cleef.
If you’re only familiar with the Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns, I highly recommend this one as it’s similar, with lots of badass moments!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8006 on: May 23, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »
Anyone remember Legend -- early '80s fantasy movie with Tom Cruise, Mia Sara and Tim Curry?  Jon Anderson sang a song at the end of the movie.

My wife usually goes to sleep an hour or two before I do, and this is one of her go to sleep movies, so I've seen it about a bazillion times.  It's pretty cheesy, and Tom Cruise's performance isn't very good, but there are a bunch of parts that are very well done.
Love this movie!  Very cool fantasy setting and a cool story.  Tangerine Dream did a  excellent job with the soundtrack, and the ending song "Loved by the Sun" with Jon Anderson is hauntingly beautiful.  I own this movie on VHS, dvd, and bluray..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8007 on: May 23, 2021, 05:05:58 PM »
Tim Curry as Darkness is awesome in that movie.  Some of the dialogue with the goblins is a riot, too.  "She was so sweet, I could eat her brains like jam!"

I don't remember if Mia Sara did this movie or Ferris Bueller's Day Off first, but this was my introduction to her.  Pretty limited as an actress, I have to admit, but cute.

Legend was released in the UK in December 1985 and April 1986 in the U.S.  Ferris Bueller was released in June 1986.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8008 on: May 25, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »

This is a great movie, and one I don't mind watching whenever I see it. I relate it to Labyrinth, in the terms of style, scenery, and music. Both have a certain quality that fits the fairytale vibe perfectly.

I love the scene where the Goblins kill the "Ugly One-Horned Mule". The snow, the song, and everything is that perfect fairytale scene. And how it all goes dark from that moment.

Some great quotes as well

Darkness: "What is light without dark?"

"Jack [After Lily touches the unicorns]:
What you did is forbidden.

Lily:
Who says so?

Jack:
It is known, Lily. These are sacred animals. You risk your immortal soul.

Lily:
I only wanted to touch one. Where is the harm in that?"

She just had to touch it.... ::) ::)  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8009 on: May 27, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »
I decided to watch A Night To Remember last night while I started a Titanic model. I'm a bit of an Olympic Class buff, but I've put off this movie because it's from 1958 and I find old black and white stuff hard to watch.

Anyways, I freaking loved it. I barely got anywhere on the model because I was too busy watching the movie. It was a hell of a production considering it was made over sixty years ago, and it must have cost a fortune to make.
I got sidetracked about halfway through, but I started watching a fan edit of Titanic the other night. Some kind soul reedited the thing (and did a damn fine job) removing all of the extraneous, interpersonal stuff, so it's basically Cameron's super-slick documentary on what happened. Great idea and [so far] nicely done.

https://titanicofficers.com/titanicmovie.html
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8010 on: June 05, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »
In Bruges.

Watched the movie only because it was set in the wonderful and magnificent Bruges, and I found myself watching the weirdest Harry Potter spinoff ever: Professor Moody is a partner of Colin Farrell, and they hide out in Bruges after a botched hitman job, and Colin meets Fleur Whatshername (the blonde chick that was part of one of the visiting delegations during Goblet of Fire), and their boss turn out to be Voldemort.

Somehow okayish action thriller, but as I said, I watched it only because it was set in Bruges.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8011 on: June 05, 2021, 03:26:16 PM »
In Bruges.

Watched the movie only because it was set in the wonderful and magnificent Bruges, and I found myself watching the weirdest Harry Potter spinoff ever: Professor Moody is a partner of Colin Farrell, and they hide out in Bruges after a botched hitman job, and Colin meets Fleur Whatshername (the blonde chick that was part of one of the visiting delegations during Goblet of Fire), and their boss turn out to be Voldemort.

Somehow okayish action thriller, but as I said, I watched it only because it was set in Bruges.

That’s a fantastic comedy. Not sure id call it an action thriller despite there being action. It was quite clearly a very strange comedy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8012 on: June 05, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
Yeah, the movie was so weird that maybe I mis-labeled it, I see Wikipedia describing it as a "black comedy crime film".

I found weird how Colin's character despised Bruges so much. Not being in love with the town is ok, but calling it a shithole over and over? saying that hell is eternity in Bruges? heck, sign me up for hell if that's what it is, Bruges is one of the most beautiful towns I've ever seen.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8013 on: June 05, 2021, 08:29:47 PM »
TMNT 1990 holds up surprisingly well. A product of its time, but a pretty good movie overall.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #8014 on: June 06, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
Good Time.

Loved the vibe and humor of this one. Excellent acting and cool soundtrack by Oneohtrix Point Never. Highly entertaining film.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .