Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558009 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7945 on: April 02, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
The Last Dragon (1985).  Gloriously terrible, just as I remembered it.

Holy Cow what a great movie.......gloriously terrible is a perfect description. Freaking loved that movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7946 on: April 02, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
Just finished Godzilla VS Kong on HBO... not sure if it was awesomely horrible or horribly awesome, but I enjoyed it.

The boys and I watched it last night. Real fun movie to watch as long as you understand what you've signed up for.

They seriously fuck up Hong Kong  :lol

The whole time I couldn't help but think of just how many people were dying during that fight sequence. Had to be tens of thousands.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7947 on: April 02, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »
Just finished Godzilla VS Kong on HBO... not sure if it was awesomely horrible or horribly awesome, but I enjoyed it.

The boys and I watched it last night. Real fun movie to watch as long as you understand what you've signed up for.

The whole time I couldn't help but think of just how many people were dying during that fight sequence. Had to be tens of thousands.
Yea that's something I always think in monster movies in general. The fact that it's not often mentioned in the movies how many thousands of people that had to be killed during scenes like that. So much focus on the main characters and their lives.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7948 on: April 02, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
Why does it seem to me that so many people are surprised that people would die in monster movies?  No monster would say to another monster, "Lets fight out in the ocean where there are less people."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7949 on: April 02, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »
For me it's more so very obvious that lots of people are dying but in the movies they don't makes much deal about it, atleast in general though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7950 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »
Why does it seem to me that so many people are surprised that people would die in monster movies?  No monster would say to another monster, "Lets fight out in the ocean where there are less people."

I'm not surprised by it...it's pretty much 'this' for me:

For me it's more so very obvious that lots of people are dying but in the movies they don't makes much deal about it, atleast in general though.

It's the lack of acknowledgement of the what would have to be enormous death toll.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7951 on: April 02, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
Action films never address that.  Did you ever feel like that watching The Terminator going through a club just firing away or any war movies like War Of The Worlds?  I just think in Sci Fi and monster films they are not our focus.  Now watching films like Schindler's List & Saving Private Ryan I absolutely think or the amount of human loss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7952 on: April 02, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »

Seriously, they even made a point to say they were evacuating the citywhen Godzilla showed up there, hopefully to put those concerns at ease in us.  :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7953 on: April 02, 2021, 06:11:19 PM »
I'm thirty minutes into Godzilla vs Kong. I give it about a 3.5/10 so far. I feel like I'm missing something. They had Kong in the Truman Show caliber done. Why was that mute girl living in there with him?

Edit: lmao. Godzilla just roared underwater

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7954 on: April 02, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
Action films never address that.  Did you ever feel like that watching The Terminator going through a club just firing away or any war movies like War Of The Worlds?  I just think in Sci Fi and monster films they are not our focus.  Now watching films like Schindler's List & Saving Private Ryan I absolutely think or the amount of human loss.

My daughter and I have a sort of running joke while we're watching the MCU movies.  "Oh, there goes another $2B building!" "How many people you think got hit by that plane crashing down 5th Avenue?"   Black humor, I know, but these movies are cartoon like in how aggressively they go for "EPIC!", so I don't feel bad.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7955 on: April 02, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »
I go into these movies knowing there will be carnage and loss unexplainable. Suspend your disbelief.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7956 on: April 04, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
Godzilla vs. Kong

When it was monsters on screen, it was mostly incredible.  When it was humans on screen, it was barely tolerable.

Nice way to wrap up/not wrap up the series.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7957 on: April 04, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
Godzilla vs. Kong

When it was monsters on screen, it was mostly incredible.  When it was humans on screen, it was barely tolerable.

I gave up shortly after the monster got to Tokyo :/ I couldn't get through it. Minus the CGI, it was on par with Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7958 on: April 04, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »
Godzilla 2014 is still a great movie. Not much Godzilla, and Quicksilver isn't the most charismatic actor, but what the movie does great is build tension, and show the human perspective of the threat and just how massive the Titans are.

I cried at the beginning. Bryan Cranston is such a great actor.

I also watched Godzilla vs Kong the other night and was very disappointed. The story was ridiculous, and I was bored watching them fight.

I haven't seen King of the Monsters yet.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 08:27:41 PM by Zook »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7959 on: April 04, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »
Godzilla 2014 is still a great movie. Not much Godzilla, and Quicksilver isn't the most charismatic actor, but what the movie does great is build tension, and show the human perspective of the threat and just how massive the Titans are.

I also watched Godzilla vs Kong the other night and was very disappointed. The story was ridiculous, and I was bored watching them fight.

Why do people watch movies out of order? I’ll never get it. Imagine watching Return of the Jedi before The Empire Strikes Back.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7960 on: April 04, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »

Why do people watch movies out of order? I’ll never get it. Imagine watching Return of the Jedi before The Empire Strikes Back.

I heard KOTM wasn't that great so I avoided it. I watched GvK out of curiosity, and since I have HBO Max now, it was something to watch with my wife. I also haven't seen Kong: Skull Island. Besides a few returning characters, and a little backstory, I don't think I missed much, and the order wasn't a concern. I'm not sure I even want to watch KOTM.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7961 on: April 05, 2021, 06:10:05 AM »
I gave up shortly after the monster got to Tokyo :/ I couldn't get through it. Minus the CGI, it was on par with Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.
Not that it matters but it was Hong Kong not Tokyo.

Eh I think for this particular franchise of movies watching them out of order is fine, they don't particularly need any backstory to watch them on their own.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7962 on: April 05, 2021, 07:03:16 AM »
Not that it matters but it was Hong Kong not Tokyo.

Well... that's embarrassing  :lol Could have sworn I heard someone in the movie mention Tokyo. I was getting so bored and distracted by the time they got done shipping Kong on that boat, I must have completely missed it.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7963 on: April 17, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »
NOBODY

Fun movie, really entertaining

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7964 on: April 20, 2021, 03:57:49 PM »
Fargo. Not seen it for 15 years or so. Still unbelievably great.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7965 on: April 21, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
Love and Monsters - new film by Netflix.  Decent film, got Zombieland vibes from it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7966 on: April 21, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
Godzilla vs. Kong

"The" monster? Which one? You don't know Godzilla's name? He's been in like 50 movies since 1954. Unless you were referring to Kong. Whatever.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7967 on: April 21, 2021, 08:42:39 AM »
When the pandemic started, I joined up with some friends to do a movie club (like a book club) and we meet every other week on Zoom to discuss the latest movie choice.  We finally ran out of the movies on our list that we started with so we decided to throw out some documentaries this round.

I was completely blown away by the movie Fantastic Fungi.  It isn't just about mushrooms - though they are part of it.  The photography is amazing but the whole subject matter is pretty mind-blowing.  And not just the section on psychedelic mushrooms.  My "shroom" days are long over but if anyone wanted to partake, watching this movie while on them would be spectacular.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #7968 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:26 PM »

Royal Warrios (1986)

Nice solid action movie from the 80's. If you want to check out how Honk Kong does action films I highly recommend it. It really delivers!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7969 on: April 21, 2021, 10:24:56 PM »
Gattaca (1997)

Wow. I've had this on my list to watch for a long time now, but finally sat down to watch it this evening and the journey was incredible. Thematically, reminds me of Equilibrium minus The Matrix. Highly recommend.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7970 on: April 22, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »
I liked Gattaca.  I'm a sci-fi nerd, so I guess that makes me a sucker for a good piece of speculative world-building.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #7971 on: April 22, 2021, 12:44:32 PM »
Gattaca (1997)

Wow. I've had this on my list to watch for a long time now, but finally sat down to watch it this evening and the journey was incredible. Thematically, reminds me of Equilibrium minus The Matrix. Highly recommend.

I saw this in theaters—can't believe it's been that long. Definitely time for a revisit.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7972 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »
Toy Story 4

I didn't know if they could do it again.  That ending to TS3 was great, pretty much perfect, and closed a nearly perfect trilogy.  Where they could possibly go from there?

There are different kinds of sequels.  There are the kind that just give you more of the same, because you just want more of the same.  But then there are the ones that take the story further.  Explore something we haven't dug into as much before now, or even introduce some new angle or new turn of the story that takes us further into the world they've established.  It has to make sense, and it has to fit into what's been established but go beyond it at the same time.  I had no idea where TS4 could go, but they went there, and I thought it was great.  I'd heard TS4 was great, I wanted to believe it, but I wasn't sure I could.  I'm glad I took the chance, because it was great.

Four creepy-as-hell ventrioloquist dummies out of four.  Would definitely watch again.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7973 on: April 25, 2021, 09:36:29 PM »
Gattaca (1997)

I first saw this movie when my Physics teacher showed it to us on the Overhead Screen because he had a projector. I haven't seen it since then, but from what I remember, it was a great movie.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7974 on: April 26, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »
Toy Story 4

I didn't know if they could do it again.  That ending to TS3 was great, pretty much perfect, and closed a nearly perfect trilogy.  Where they could possibly go from there?

There are different kinds of sequels.  There are the kind that just give you more of the same, because you just want more of the same.  But then there are the ones that take the story further.  Explore something we haven't dug into as much before now, or even introduce some new angle or new turn of the story that takes us further into the world they've established.  It has to make sense, and it has to fit into what's been established but go beyond it at the same time.  I had no idea where TS4 could go, but they went there, and I thought it was great.  I'd heard TS4 was great, I wanted to believe it, but I wasn't sure I could.  I'm glad I took the chance, because it was great.

Four creepy-as-hell ventrioloquist dummies out of four.  Would definitely watch again.

Yeah, people like to argue that certain franchises just start phoning it in and becoming caricatures of themselves, but Toy Story is something special. I hope they just keep running with it as the generations progress. I have faith in it. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7975 on: April 26, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
I enjoyed Toy Story 4 but definitely felt it was the lesser of the franchise. However, I think it’s only cause they made it too complicated. Those movies are all about character and heart and I think this movie, while also having that, got too focused on plot and many things happening which I felt took away.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7976 on: April 26, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »
It was a bit convoluted, wasn't it?  Forky's story, Bo-Peep's story, and Freaky Blonde Doll (I don't remember her name)'s story, plus Duke Caboom and of course Woody having a bit of a crisis himself.  There was a lot going on, and I hadn't thought about it before, but yeah, things might have been a bit smoother with fewer ingredients.  But what they managed to weave together was still great.  Okay, maybe it's only "really good".  But I dug it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7977 on: April 28, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
I decided to watch A Night To Remember last night while I started a Titanic model. I'm a bit of an Olympic Class buff, but I've put off this movie because it's from 1958 and I find old black and white stuff hard to watch.

Anyways, I freaking loved it. I barely got anywhere on the model because I was too busy watching the movie. It was a hell of a production considering it was made over sixty years ago, and it must have cost a fortune to make. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:13:03 PM by Chino »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7978 on: April 28, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
I decided to watch A Night To Remember last night while I started Titanic model.

IT'S A TRAGEDY SO BIG, IT'S A PITY MANY DIED
BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE, SOME AT LEAST SURVIVED
RAAAAAAAHRRRRRRRR!!!!

Whops sorry, wrong thread / song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7979 on: May 11, 2021, 02:38:06 AM »
I'm Thinkin of Ending Things. Aside from a few strong scenes with good performances by the actors, I thought it was a boring philosophy fest.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .