Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558096 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7805 on: February 03, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
The Rock has some great attributes. Nicolas Cage is not one of them.

What??  I get that Cage has more phoned-in performances than Mike Portnoy has live albums, but he was really good in The Rock, by action movie standards of course.  Not like he was gonna win as Oscar for it.

Agreed. Good chemistry with Connery.

Agree.

90s action movies were awesome.

Total Recall
Point Break
Terminator 2
Demolition Man
The Fugitive
Speed
True Lies (haven't seen in forever and need to re-watch)
Die Hard 3
The Rock
Mission Impossible
Independence Day
Long Kiss Goodnight
Con Air

And a bunch of others I'm probably forgetting (and I intentionally didn't include all the Van Damme and Segal movies).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7806 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
I love, love, love The Long Kiss Goodnight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7807 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
what
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7808 on: February 03, 2021, 10:51:23 AM »
Oh man... I remember The Fugitive was on TV once when I was in 3rd year, and me and my house-mates had just gotten baked.  After the whole opening segment ran, and then some additional credits come on after Kimble is sentenced  I remember thinking "It's fucking over already?!?!?!"... AND I'D SEEN THE MOVIE BEFORE!   :rollin

To pile on the list...

The Matrix
Heat
Face/Off
Armageddon (Action or Sci Fi??  close enough)
Enemy of the State
The Last Boyscout
Universal Soldier
Desperado
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7809 on: February 03, 2021, 02:04:34 PM »
To pile on the list...

The Matrix
Heat
Face/Off
Armageddon (Action or Sci Fi??  close enough)
Enemy of the State
The Last Boyscout
Universal Soldier
Desperado

For me, Deep Impact >>>>> Armageddon.  Hey...instead of training astronauts to handle drilling equipment, it'll be much easier to train a bunch of oil drillers to be astronauts!  Ummm...what?

Also, the Matrix and Face/Off were steaming piles of dung.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7810 on: February 03, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »
Armageddon is one of those films that is so bad that you can't help but enjoy it a little.

Face/Off I will defend to the pain.  Unrealistic and contrived as hell, but just a fun, brainless flick.  And it gave us some of the most awesome gif's ever, courtesy of Cage.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7811 on: February 03, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
I have never seen Mission Impossible 2. It is on FX tonight so I’ve been watching it. Holy crap......this is wretched  :lol    It’s so bad.....I can’t believe they green lit more after this one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7812 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:47 PM »
I couldn't sit through more than 20 minutes of Armageddon.

Movies like Face/Off I liked while watching it, then think 20 minutes later "Gawd what a pile of crap that was. Why did I enjoy watching it?"

And some of those movies like Heat and The Fugitive (both amazing) I wouldn't lump under the "90s Action Flick" banner. That bank heist/shootout segment from Heat is better than most movies I've seen lately.

what

You heard me. Or.... um, rather, you read what I wrote.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7813 on: February 04, 2021, 04:57:09 AM »
Armageddon is one of those films that is so bad that you can't help but enjoy it a little.

Face/Off I will defend to the pain.  Unrealistic and contrived as hell, but just a fun, brainless flick.

Spot on.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7814 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:50 AM »
Dick Tracy (1990) - I loved this movie for it's art direction alone. It's a gorgeous looking movie and Al Pacino getting permission to chew as much of the scenery as he pleases will never not be entertaining.

Ghoulies (1984) - This movie was a mess. It has some cool puppet work as I would expect from a movie like this and its notable for having the film debut of
Mariska Hargitay. The paper thin plot feels thrown together and barely makes any sense. It doesn't get ridiculous enough to over look that.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7815 on: February 04, 2021, 07:37:40 AM »
Ronin was a fantastic action flick.  That chase scene ........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7816 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16:05 AM »
I have never seen Mission Impossible 2. It is on FX tonight so I’ve been watching it. Holy crap......this is wretched  :lol    It’s so bad.....I can’t believe they green lit more after this one.

A mere two pages ago:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43505.msg2736967#msg2736967

As indicated, I agree heartily!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7817 on: February 04, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »

A mere two pages ago:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43505.msg2736967#msg2736967

As indicated, I agree heartily!

:lol   I rolled my eyes at the scarf grab....they built that up like it was some epic moment. The fight scenes were hilarious....even the sound Cruise's gun made when he shot it they added some sort of weird 'laser' sound effect to it. The whole movie was horrible....comically horrible.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7818 on: February 04, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
MII2 is a campy big budget summer blockbuster movie that is so awful you can't lookaway.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7819 on: February 04, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »
MII2 is a campy big budget summer blockbuster movie that is so awful you can't lookaway.

I looked away often -- primarily to roll my eyes over how dumb it was.

This reminds me, though, that I still need to give MI3 a watch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7820 on: February 04, 2021, 01:01:36 PM »
Thought you were talking about Men In Black 2 for a moment.

It's a really bad follow up to Men In Black. i think 3 is much better and apparently 4 sucks again.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7821 on: February 04, 2021, 02:35:15 PM »
Thought you were talking about Men In Black 2 for a moment.

It's a really bad follow up to Men In Black. i think 3 is much better and apparently 4 sucks again.

4 feels like several different drafts of the script mashed together. There are some things that are strongly built up and hinted at that just never happen. Like something was supposed to happen but something else happened instead.

And that something else was the most boring option they could've used.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7822 on: February 07, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »

III was an excellent recovery for the franchise.  Seymour-Hoffman is the best villain from any MI movie.

Prove me wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7823 on: February 07, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
I finally saw Inception.  And I have no idea what I just saw. :lol :lol

I am thinking this one will require a second viewing. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7824 on: February 07, 2021, 08:20:50 AM »

Wait 'til you see Tenet then  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #7825 on: February 07, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »

III was an excellent recovery for the franchise.  Seymour-Hoffman is the best villain from any MI movie.

Prove me wrong.

III was indeed a great return to form, excellent mix of action, story and acting. It's the first in the franchise where Tom Cruise starts running non stop. My only minor complaint is that I wished we say more of Hoffman in the movie. He was excellent in it and I really wished we saw more of his villainy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7826 on: February 07, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »

Wait 'til you see Tenet then  :lol

If you think Inception mind-fucked you, Tenet is a gang-bang.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7827 on: February 08, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »
My middle son is learning about WWII in school and he's been asking to watch 'Saving Private Ryan'. So, watched that with him over the weekend. What can you say about that movie? Very powerful....very well done....just an all around great movie that has several scenes that make me tear up every time I see it.

Then I told him about 'Band of Brothers' so we watched the first episode last night. That series is even more remarkable given the fact that those 'characters' were real young men....and you're seeing what they went through.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7828 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:07 AM »
My middle son is learning about WWII in school and he's been asking to watch 'Saving Private Ryan'. So, watched that with him over the weekend. What can you say about that movie? Very powerful....very well done....just an all around great movie that has several scenes that make me tear up every time I see it.

Then I told him about 'Band of Brothers' so we watched the first episode last night. That series is even more remarkable given the fact that those 'characters' were real young men....and you're seeing what they went through.

I remember going to see SPR, and I actually sweat through my shirt during that first 45 minutes.  I've never actually watched it again, to be honest.   I consider D-Day to be one a wonder of human determination, and the men who landed there to be the epitome of brave and selfless, so it's not for apathy, it's just a hard thing to watch.

BoB is an outstanding series, though.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7829 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »

I know its WWI, but I just watched 1917 and was amazed by the production value. The depiction of trench warfare was really incredible and the seemingly seamless shot is outstanding.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7830 on: February 08, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »
1917 and Private Ryan are both amazing. The first really shows what was it like, I remember at times thinking "mh, I don't really remember that much about WWI", well, there was not that much to remember, it was mostly trench warfare with people dying uselessly for this or that scrape of no man's land. WWII has more definite and famous moments - the nazi, the allies, operation Barbarossa, the D-Day, Dunkirk, etc... but WWI was basically people spending 4 years shooting each other from a trench to the other until someone somewhere signed an armistice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7831 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »

My 11 grade daughter is watching that in her U.S. history class.

I've never seen it.  I went to see it with my wife and my sister.  Probably 5-10 minutes into the Normandy landing scene at the start, my wife got up and walked out because of all the blood and guts.  I was pissed at her because it was clear that me going back in and watching the movie and "abandoning" her wasn't going to go well.  We basically had to fart around for 2 1/2 hours for the movie to end and pick up my sister.  And I've never gotten around to watching it since then.  One of these days....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7832 on: February 08, 2021, 04:40:56 PM »

I know its WWI, but I just watched 1917 and was amazed by the production value. The depiction of trench warfare was really incredible and the seemingly seamless shot is outstanding.

It's such a good movie. That 'single shot' method of shooting was/is pretty amazing as well. I watched that one with the same son.....it's so good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7833 on: February 08, 2021, 04:58:33 PM »
Besides the 1st half an hour of SPR the knife scene is excruciating.  It kills me a little every time I watch it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7834 on: February 08, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »
Besides the 1st half an hour of SPR the knife scene is excruciating.  It kills me a little every time I watch it.

That one is brutal. The scene that gets me even more is when the medic gets killed when they storm that random machine gun nest. He’s crying for his mom (after the scene before when he regrets fake sleeping to not have to talk to her) and saying he doesn’t want to die. It’s tough.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7835 on: February 08, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
That too dammit!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7836 on: February 08, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
Just finished Space Sweepers on Netflix. Korean scifi, dubbed Korean with tons of other languages as well. Very cool world building,intriguing fast paced story with shit tons of action, and one adorable little kid. Fun fucking movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7837 on: February 09, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
I love Face Off. There's nothing wrong with a knowingly silly fun film.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7838 on: February 09, 2021, 11:58:37 AM »
I love Face Off. There's nothing wrong with a knowingly silly fun film.

There's nothing wrong with the concept, but that doesn't mean every movie that fits that description is exempt from criticism.  The Rock?  Awesome.  Face/Off?  Garbage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7839 on: February 09, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
k.

I agree that intentionally stupid films should not be immune to criticism. i thought Kung Fury was trying WAY too hard to be COOL and a CULT film.

But tell anyone that loved it that it was trying way too hard - they all go DUH THATS THE POINT.

It may be intentionally stupid - but It can STILL be a shit film.

I thought it was OK at best. FINE for what it was. But that's all. Nothing more.