Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554560 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7735 on: January 04, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »
I thought the Nova Corps were super awesome as depicted, and then just to show how ridiculously powerful Thanos had already become, he swatted them like flies.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7736 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »
Guardians Of The Galaxy.    I don't know what to make of it.  It was funny, touching at times, but so tonally different than what came before - Capt. America, Iron Man, the Avengers - that it was hard to get into "mode" to absorb the CLEARLY significant plot points in the bigger picture. 

There's also a lot of confusion that I'm hoping later movies will resolve, namely:
- why do the Kree look different here as opposed to in Captain Marvel?
- who are the Nova Corps?
- who are the girls (one is in a cell, one is the slave who grabs the Infinity Stone) with Taneleer Tivan?
- how did Tivan get Mandelbeth or whatever his name is?  (Isn't that him in the other cell?)

I really liked the first GOTG movie, but not nearly as much as most others who still consider it the best of the MCU. I thought Ronan was a horrible villain and I didn't like their treatment of Thanos. However, I think shifting tones is necessary for a 22+ movie set. If everything was identical in tone it'd get really dull, really quick. MCU is already a bit too samey in that sense, so I appreciate the little differences we get. But, to try to answer your questions.

- The Kree are visually diverse. They have blue skin and "pink" skin individuals, so some look more human. The movies didn't explain it at all however.
- The NOVA corps are SUPPOSED to be a super awesome elite basically space army/police. In the comics, they are really cool. In the movies they're kind of silly and serve no real purpose other than cannon fodder. I hope they make a more serious take on them some day cause that's a lot of wasted potential.
- His little helpers? I dunno. They work for him until they get too greedy and then I guess he puts one in a cell and the other goes nuts and tries to kill him. Maybe they're slaves?
- I honestly am not sure what you're asking. Did you mean the dark elf guy from Thor? If so, I think that's just a random dark elf, and not the guy from Thor.
Thank you for the answers; yes, i was talking about Malekith, I just didn't remember his actual name.   My daughter and I were debating if that was in fact Malekith in the cell. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7737 on: January 04, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
Shazam!

I'd heard it was better than one might think, and it was.  I'm not sure what I expected, but it was not this.  I spent a large part of the movie wondering what in the heck was going on and/or how seriously I was supposed to take it.  I gave up, and gave in, and just enjoyed it.  Some of it was pretty dumb, but I didn't care.  It was fun.  At some point I realize that it was like a cross between "Big" (the Tom Hanks movie) and a "normal" superhero origin story, even though there really isn't a norm for that.  And then they did the giant piano reference, clearly a nod to "Big" and I realized I was right after all.  You're not supposed to take it too seriously; just enjoy the ride.  Weird movie.  Didn't always work, but overall not a waste of time.

3.5 lightning bolts out of 5

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7738 on: January 05, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
I watched Mission Impossible II last night for probably the first time since the theater.  It was as bad as I remembered.

The basic plot was ok, but the lead actress sucks -- especially as the object of universal attraction (she looked like she was about 14) -- as did the guy who played the antagonist.  The action scenes were typically absurd, and the filming style was just awful.  For example, there was a scene where the lead female character (Nyah) had been rescued from fake prison and was going to see the antagonist on some island near Sydney, AU.  She was wearing a scarf, and it blew off and, in a slow motion sequence, the antagonist grabbed it and gave it back to her.  There was suitably dramatic music that came up in the background, but I just laughed.  It wasn't a dramatic moment at all.  Her scarf blew off.  So what?  And the fight scenes were littered with that slow motion crap to highlight punches and kicks that, in reality, would barely register with the target.  It was like the director had no concept of how actual fighting works.

As I was watching, I also realized I have zero recollection of MI3.  My wife said that's because it sucks harder than MI2.  I hope that's not the case.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7739 on: January 05, 2021, 10:48:24 AM »
I watched Mission Impossible II last night for probably the first time since the theater.  It was as bad as I remembered.

The basic plot was ok, but the lead actress sucks -- especially as the object of universal attraction (she looked like she was about 14) -- as did the guy who played the antagonist.  The action scenes were typically absurd, and the filming style was just awful.  For example, there was a scene where the lead female character (Nyah) had been rescued from fake prison and was going to see the antagonist on some island near Sydney, AU.  She was wearing a scarf, and it blew off and, in a slow motion sequence, the antagonist grabbed it and gave it back to her.  There was suitably dramatic music that came up in the background, but I just laughed.  It wasn't a dramatic moment at all.  Her scarf blew off.  So what?  And the fight scenes were littered with that slow motion crap to highlight punches and kicks that, in reality, would barely register with the target.  It was like the director had no concept of how actual fighting works.

As I was watching, I also realized I have zero recollection of MI3.  My wife said that's because it sucks harder than MI2.  I hope that's not the case.
I recall hating it, but mostly because it was more flash than substance. I tolerated the first movie well enough. I was a fan of the show, and at least it bore some resemblance. I just remember thinking that it'd be cool if they simply did a straight up Mission Impossible story. Convince a foreign despot to kill himself, or pit two groups of terrorists against each other. Even a mob story would have been alright. The problem is their conviction that every story has to be 4 layers deep with multiple mindfucks and an action sequence every 10 minutes. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7740 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »
It was like the director had no concept of how actual fighting works.
Is there a fight scene in any movie that's realistic? Real fights involve a lot more wrestling on the ground and much fewer punches and kicks. And one well placed punch is going to knock 95% of people on their ass immediately.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7741 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
I really like II, but yeah its a total schlock popcorn film. Still like it though.

Love the first one though. Its a great slow burn thriller. III is fun and Hoffman is excellent as the villain.

IV, V and VI don't do it for me and they all blur together in my mind.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7742 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
I recall hating it, but mostly because it was more flash than substance. I tolerated the first movie well enough. I was a fan of the show, and at least it bore some resemblance. I just remember thinking that it'd be cool if they simply did a straight up Mission Impossible story. Convince a foreign despot to kill himself, or pit two groups of terrorists against each other. Even a mob story would have been alright. The problem is their conviction that every story has to be 4 layers deep with multiple mindfucks and an action sequence every 10 minutes.

I've never seen an episode of the series, so I knew nothing going into the first one.  It's one of my favorites from the mid-90s when my wife and I pretty went to the movies pretty much once a week or more.

Is there a fight scene in any movie that's realistic? Real fights involve a lot more wrestling on the ground and much fewer punches and kicks. And one well placed punch is going to knock 95% of people on their ass immediately.

Fair point, but some are better than others, and when you are constantly slowing down the action, it becomes much more apparent that what's happening is stupid.

IV, V and VI don't do it for me and they all blur together in my mind.

IV (i.e., Ghost Protocol, i.e., "Bogdan") is one of my wife's favorite movies to fall asleep to, so I've seen it at least a dozen times.  I like it pretty well.

V (i.e., Rogue Nation, i.e., "The One with the Bass Flute") is several levels down.  I saw it in the theater, but I'm not sure I've watched it all the way through since then but have seen many bits and pieces.  I can't recall the plot too well, but the end sticks in my mind as a bit silly.  It's one of those movies where the antagonist seems utterly unbeatable until he needs to be beaten.

VI (i.e., Fallout, i.e., "The One with the Guy Who Plays Superman") is also several levels down, and I barely remember any of the plot.

Regardless of V's and VI's flaws, neither of them feels to me like the director took a half hour plot and turned it into a two hour movie, which is how II felt.

VII is supposed to come out later this year, and Hayley Atwell is supposed to be in both VII and VIII (along with Rebecca Ferguson), so that's a positive.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7743 on: January 05, 2021, 12:41:32 PM »
Fallout was incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7744 on: January 05, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »
I actually think the last 3 movies are better than the original 3 movies in the Mission Impossible franchise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7745 on: January 05, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
Well, let's rate them.

IV - Ghost Protocol.  Overall story flows very well, and the stunts - while outrageous - were "plausible".  Jeremy Renner and his character was used wisely.
I - groundbreaking stuff for 1996
III - Philip Seymour Hoffman was the best villain of the franchise.  By a country mile.
V - Rogue Nation.  Dragged on a little too long, but mostly well done.  The sequence after Ethan "drowns" was a bit much though.
VI - Fallout.  Better than II.  That's about all I can say on this one.

II - absolute tripe.  The last fight sequence was way too over the top - stomping on the sand and a gun comes spring loaded up perfectly? 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7746 on: January 05, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »
IV - Ghost Protocol.  Overall story flows very well, and the stunts - while outrageous - were "plausible".  Jeremy Renner and his character was used wisely.

The stunts may be plausible, but the effects of them were not.  Ghost Protocol conclusively proved that Ethan Hunt is an unkillable cyborg.  The scene where he chases after the bad guy in the sandstorm:  he gets hit by a car, then abandons his car at a high speed, and he ends up with barely a scratch.  And that's on top of whatever non-injuries he "suffered" from the Kremlin explosion (which, despite putting Ethan in a hospital, apparently had no effect at all on Benji or Jane) and his drop from the nth floor hospital window onto a moving car and then onto the ground.  There's no way a human being doesn't come out of those things with multiple broken bones (probably in both legs) and serious head injury.

II - absolute tripe.  The last fight sequence was way too over the top - stomping on the sand and a gun comes spring loaded up perfectly?

On top of that, the bad guy, who has his gun pointed at Ethan, politely waited for Ethan to stomp and for the gun to rise out of the sand, without taking a shot.

About the only thing less realistic is what I saw of the Fate of the Furious, which my wife watched over new year's weekend.  That might have been the silliest batch of crap I've ever seen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7747 on: January 05, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »

The stunts may be plausible, but the effects of them were not.  Ghost Protocol conclusively proved that Ethan Hunt is an unkillable cyborg.  The scene where he chases after the bad guy in the sandstorm:  he gets hit by a car, then abandons his car at a high speed, and he ends up with barely a scratch.  And that's on top of whatever non-injuries he "suffered" from the Kremlin explosion (which, despite putting Ethan in a hospital, apparently had no effect at all on Benji or Jane) and his drop from the nth floor hospital window onto a moving car and then onto the ground.  There's no way a human being doesn't come out of those things with multiple broken bones (probably in both legs) and serious head injury.

Pretty much to the bolded.

I must've just checked out during those sequences.   But ditching a bike around a bend on a gravel shoulder at probably 80mph (minimum) in a silk shirt (Rogue Nation) with nary a scratch was even worse. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7748 on: January 05, 2021, 09:17:23 PM »

I LOVED the show.   Peter Graves, Greg Morris, Martin Landau.... 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7749 on: January 05, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »
I had no idea there were that many M:I movies. I remember liking 1 (even if it was unnecessary complicated at points), and saw 2 at a gal's house (whom I was much more interested in that the movie).

I have never seen an episode of the show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #7750 on: January 05, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
As a kid I watched a few episodes of the 60's series and more of the 80's series. I remember liking them, I should track them and watch sometime.

I enjoy the movies quite a bit, more than I thought I would. The 1st one is the only one that is the mystery intrigue spy noirish thriller type. 2nd one is over the top cheese that surprisingly has a decent story, just hammed up everywhere.

I love how the movies got bigger and crazier after each one. I think Fallout might actually be my favorite one. It's like the Fast and Furious franchise, started off as a heist movie and then moved to those bigass explosions and now we will them both going to space soon.

The next few slated ones should be good I have no doubt. Right up my alley.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7751 on: January 05, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
I loved the original TV show, and was mostly okay with the 80's reboot.  The first movie was pretty good, but they totally buttfucked the Jim Phelps character, and I really can't forgive them for that.  The rest of the movies had nothing to do with the show, and were basically mindless action flicks with the occassional concept or two from the show.  Most people have never seen the show and don't give a shit about it, but it was really great for its time, so for the movies to reduce that to mindless action flicks still rubs me the wrong way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7752 on: January 06, 2021, 06:57:44 AM »
As a kid I watched a few episodes of the 60's series and more of the 80's series. I remember liking them, I should track them and watch sometime.

I enjoy the movies quite a bit, more than I thought I would. The 1st one is the only one that is the mystery intrigue spy noirish thriller type. 2nd one is over the top cheese that surprisingly has a decent story, just hammed up everywhere.

I love how the movies got bigger and crazier after each one. I think Fallout might actually be my favorite one. It's like the Fast and Furious franchise, started off as a heist movie and then moved to those bigass explosions and now we will them both going to space soon.

The next few slated ones should be good I have no doubt. Right up my alley.

See, I'm a BIG fan of the Fast and Furious movies, and I think they jumped the shark with The Rock.  I barely was able to get through the one with Charlize Theron (and I LOVE Charlize Theron; I could watch her clean a kitchen) and didn't see the one after that  Five was the sweetspot between quick, quiet underground racing movie and utter bullshit Hollywood nonsense.   Tokyo Drift might be my favorite of the series, frankly, and it (the series) sorely misses Paul Walker, but at some point the "ramp up" has to end.

It's for another thread, but "Hollywood" is such a mirror for our society in general it's not funny.   We should rename our country "The United States of Hyperbole" and be done with it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7753 on: January 06, 2021, 08:16:05 AM »
I actually agree that The Rock is the weakest part of the franchise and am relieved he won't be in the next few movies. Paul Walker was definitely the 'soul' of the franchise, his presence is sorely missed in the last movie. Theron was in the last FF movie, the one that came out was a spinoff with the Rock and the Transporter - Hobbs and Shaw which was kinda ok, not terrible but not great either.

Seeing as you're a big Theron fan, if you haven't already check out Atomic Blonde, she plays a kickass spy in it with some serious kicking ass skills. The stunts are fantastic in that movie. I actually love the story set in the 80s. Also, she's butt naked and makes out while butt naked. The last part is probably the most important part.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7754 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »

The Director of MI2 was John Woo, a legendary director of Hong Kong action films.  "Over the Top" is his style.  If anything, MI2 action was much more realistic than his HK films. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #7755 on: January 06, 2021, 12:56:55 PM »
Also one note about MI2 there was apparently a big struggle between John Woo and Tom Cruise on the type of movie it had to be. I don't remember the details but I think neither were particularly happy about the result.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7756 on: January 06, 2021, 01:09:38 PM »

The Director of MI2 was John Woo, a legendary director of Hong Kong action films.  "Over the Top" is his style.  If anything, MI2 action was much more realistic than his HK films.

Well...I don't really know what a "Hong Kong action film" is, but if the style of MI2 was a toned down version, then I guess that means I'll avoid such films and anything else he's done like the plague.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7757 on: January 06, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
I actually agree that The Rock is the weakest part of the franchise and am relieved he won't be in the next few movies. Paul Walker was definitely the 'soul' of the franchise, his presence is sorely missed in the last movie. Theron was in the last FF movie, the one that came out was a spinoff with the Rock and the Transporter - Hobbs and Shaw which was kinda ok, not terrible but not great either.

Seeing as you're a big Theron fan, if you haven't already check out Atomic Blonde, she plays a kickass spy in it with some serious kicking ass skills. The stunts are fantastic in that movie. I actually love the story set in the 80s. Also, she's butt naked and makes out while butt naked. The last part is probably the most important part.

HAHA, that got a laugh out loud. I like the way you think, sailor!   :)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7758 on: January 07, 2021, 07:02:29 AM »
Yeah John Woo's style really didn't work for Mission Impossible. Face/Off is the superior american Woo film and I need to see that again soon as it's a blast. For one of his HK action films I recommend Hard Boiled. Long elaborate action sequences with an impressive long take near the end of the film.

Hell Comes to Frogtown (1988): A fun movie with a ridiculous premise starring Roddy Piper. It's a shame that Piper didn't become a bigger action star. Sure he wasn't the greatest actor in the world but he made up for it with charisma and is always so fun to watch.

William Peter Blatty's Legion (1990): While still not ideal this stapled together "directors cut" of Exorcist III is the closest we have to Blatty's original vision for the film. I still have hope that they'll someday find the finished film elements instead of the VHS dailies that they used to make this as this is one of my favorite movies. Funny thing is that both cuts of the movie are still better than the book which is a rare thing.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7759 on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:05 PM »
Home Alone 2. Very timely.

Andrew Hunter Murray
@andrewhunterm
He should be tried, imprisoned, and digitally removed from Home Alone 2.

"I hereby sentence you two 5 years in prison, $1,000,000 fine, and digital removal from Home Alone 2. Court dismissed." 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7760 on: January 10, 2021, 04:38:31 AM »
I think I might like 2 a little better then one, mainly because the traps go to the next level. Bricks off the roof, blowing the house up and the quotes are sooo good:

"Make it two scoops, I'm not drivin"
"Sounds like a tool chest falling down the stairs"
"who would soak a rope in kerosene"

Love that movie  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7761 on: January 10, 2021, 10:26:20 AM »
Home Alone 2 does that thing that not a lot of sequels manage - which is basically doing the first film again but actually making it funnier.

They're not trying to disguise the fact that it's literally the same film again. Plus it's more cartoony violence - with Daniel Stern turning into a skeleton.

I actually found Home Alone 3 was nowhere near as good as the first two obviously but It still had some laugh out loud moments and wasn't a complete failure.

Home Alone 4 though. OH MY GOD. Not only is it beyond dreadful - but at NO POINT IN THE FILM IS THE KID ALONE AT HOME.

The kid in 3 wasn't that annoying but the kid in 4 needed a slap  ;D ;D...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7762 on: January 10, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
No offense to anyone but I DESPISE the Home Alone films.   I HATE HATE HATE that "smart, wily, wise beyond his years kid outsmarts the adults and makes them look stupid" trope.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7763 on: January 10, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
Yes, you said that a while back, when I had posted I said just watched the first one :p (and honestly I think most of us felt the same).

HA2 was better than I remembered (I am not even sure I've seen the whole thing). I do agree it was nice that they didn't try and recreate the wheel. I thought some of the violence was dumb. Seeing Kevin rig booby trap is much more creative with a better pay off than seeing him just throw bricks.

And Tim Curry makes everything better. Heck, even Rob Schneider was great in this. He was just the right amount of Rob Schneider, without being too Rob Schneider, which is a tough line to walk.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7764 on: January 10, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
No offense to anyone but I DESPISE the Home Alone films.   I HATE HATE HATE that "smart, wily, wise beyond his years kid outsmarts the adults and makes them look stupid" trope.

To be fair theyre supposed to be stupid.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7765 on: January 10, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
Home Alone is 80% sentimental mawkish drivel and 20% looney tunes.  If those percentages had been the other way round it would have been much better.....as.it is you have to sit though a lot of crap to get to the good bit.   Or you can just watch the trailer!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7766 on: January 11, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »
You can always watch the Sam Peckinpah film that inspired it. No silliness, and it's the furthest thing from sentimental. The violence is legit and with purpose, and it's got copious amounts of Susan George looking hot and giggly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Dogs_(1971_film)
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7767 on: January 11, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
Okay, I saw Straw Dogs long ago (and yeah, Susan George), but never put it together that Home Alone is like a bizarro dark comedy take on that movie.  But it kinda is, isn't it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7768 on: January 11, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
Okay, I saw Straw Dogs long ago (and yeah, Susan George), but never put it together that Home Alone is like a bizarro dark comedy take on that movie.  But it kinda is, isn't it?
Yeah, they've come out and said they were trying to make Straw Dogs for kids. Minus the rape and marital strife, of course. That's actually why I DL'ed Straw Dogs in the first place. "Sam Peckinpah's Home Alone for adults? Fuck yeah, I'm in!"  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7769 on: January 11, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »
I haven't seen a Peckinpah film in a long time.  I didn't know that relationship, either.  The premise is sound, I just don't like the attitude/vibe of Home Alone.