Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560384 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7700 on: December 29, 2020, 01:11:03 AM »
Saw The Midnight Sky as well.... got bored halfway through it and the final revelation was clear 1-2 minutes after the introduction of the character tied to that revelation.

SPOILERS: And they even cheated because at a point the little girls wanders off on her own and sees a corpse, while Clooney is busy deciding to euthanize a survivor found in a wreck... I could accept it as long as they were always together, but how could he be in two places at the same time since the girl was imaginary? gosh I hate these kind of things.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7701 on: December 29, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Seen it many times of course but it was on last night. Clint gets off so many great lines you have to stop counting. Some of my faves:

“Dying ain’t much of a living, boy”

“To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat same as the worms”

“You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?”

I mean, legendary.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7702 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
In my continuation of Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli works, I went with my nephew's recommendation and watched Princess Mononoke instead of Howl's Moving Castle. Hooo boy, I think I liked this one better than Spirited Away, what an absolutely beautiful work of art.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7703 on: December 30, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »
The Avengers (GREAT movie) and Iron Man 3 (very good movie, up to the end).

The problem with some of these movies is the villain. It's like they have to be exactly just so powerful.  They need to be threatening and destructive, but just a hair less powerful than the most heroic moment of the hero.   Mostly, this is done right; but in Iron Man 3, it just seemed so random.   Guy Pearce was basically indestructible, until he wasn't.   I didn't quite follow that. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7704 on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
Watched 'Platoon' again last night for the first time in years. I really dig the movie. I had forgotten just how many actors who would later become 'big time' actors were in that movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7705 on: December 30, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »
My wife still talks about my reactions when we saw The Avengers at the theater on opening weekend.

I grew up reading about and loving all of those characters, and we had already seen the successful film adaptations of Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America.  I had been waiting literally ALL MY LIFE to see this film, and I was like an 8-year old boy in my seat.  I doubt very seriously that any film-watching experience will ever top it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7706 on: December 30, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
Wonder Woman 1984

After watching, my wife said "DC does it again!  Disappointment Central!"

We both enjoyed the first Wonder Woman film very much, and were looking forward to this, but it was not good.

It's bad then? I thought that Wonder Woman was the best DC movie that far, and that they finally learnt how to do them. Pity if they forgot again with the very character that helped them to make a truly enjoyable movie.
We also thought that Wonder Woman was the best film DC had produced in this series.  But this one didn't work for us at all.

My wife watched 84 yesterday and said the same thing, she said it was really disappointing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7707 on: December 30, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »
Loved the first Wonder Woman movie. Thought 84 was very lame

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7708 on: December 31, 2020, 03:35:43 AM »
That is a shame. I thought that the first WW was DC finally realising how to make a decent movie. Nope.

----

Also - does the director of a movie influence your enjoyment of a film ? E.g. I only went to see Avengers (2012) because Joss Whedon directed - and I loved Firefly. I didn't know anything about

Marvel or the Avengers etc etc. I didn't even know that Iron Man (2008) was connected to it or anything...

----

But now I couldn't care less about any new Joss Whedon film because he turned out to be a complete scumbag in real life.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7709 on: December 31, 2020, 05:00:04 AM »
My wife still talks about my reactions when we saw The Avengers at the theater on opening weekend.

I grew up reading about and loving all of those characters, and we had already seen the successful film adaptations of Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America.  I had been waiting literally ALL MY LIFE to see this film, and I was like an 8-year old boy in my seat.  I doubt very seriously that any film-watching experience will ever top it.

Nailed it!  Infinity War and Endgame came pretty damned close.  I mean, Avengers 1 had some awesome moments, but none as awesome as Thor arriving in Wakanda, Cap picking up Mjolnir, or "Avengers ... Assemble".  Hell, I'm getting goosebumps just typing it!  As an experience, Avengers gave a sustained feeling of "holy f'n shit, am I really watching this?" throughout the whole movie ... whereas the latter two had those God-tier individual moments.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7710 on: December 31, 2020, 06:04:19 AM »
I'm not into comic books or Marvel etc etc or superhero movies in general.

But i'm actually glad I saw all the MCU films culminating in Infinity War and Endgame. It made it so much better than having seen IW & Endgame without seeing the previous 10 years of build up.

I didn't see them all in the correct order but by the time IW came around I had seen all the previous movies in some form.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7711 on: December 31, 2020, 06:49:39 AM »

The problem with some of these movies is the villain. It's like they have to be exactly just so powerful.  They need to be threatening and destructive, but just a hair less powerful than the most heroic moment of the hero.   Mostly, this is done right; but in Iron Man 3, it just seemed so random.   Guy Pearce was basically indestructible, until he wasn't.   I didn't quite follow that.

You nailed it, that's the worst part of the movie. They made him so powerful it was completely unrealistic. Breathing fire, really?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7712 on: December 31, 2020, 06:50:23 AM »

Describes me to a T!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7713 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:16 PM »
does the director of a movie influence your enjoyment of a film ? E.g. I only went to see Avengers (2012) because Joss Whedon directed - and I loved Firefly. I didn't know anything about

Marvel or the Avengers etc etc. I didn't even know that Iron Man (2008) was connected to it or anything...

----

But now I couldn't care less about any new Joss Whedon film because he turned out to be a complete scumbag in real life.

I couldn't care less about directors.  As far as what they're like in their personal lives, I don't care about that when it comes to athletes musicians, actors, etc.  If you gave me a quality product in the past, I'll probably check out what you do in the future.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7714 on: January 01, 2021, 04:40:28 AM »
But would you still pay money to see a new film if it had Kevin Spacey in for instance ?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7715 on: January 01, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
Why not?   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7716 on: January 01, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
PALM SPRINGS

After reading Richard Roeper's 2020 Best Movies list,

It looked pretty obviously like Groundhog Day but with a friend/twist set at a Wedding. And while that is kind of the movie in a nutshell, Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti were still very good in it.

A lighter Scifi Dramedy that doesn't take itself too seriously was a pleasant diversion the other night. If you have access to HULU, it's probably worth your time (and it's only 87 minutes).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7717 on: January 01, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Suprisingly great and funny comedy about an Iceland duo determined to win the Eurovision. Lot of great visuals, some legit LOL moments, bonkers songs and random wackery. So amusing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7718 on: January 01, 2021, 09:38:24 PM »
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I am a huge fan of Sergio Leone's "Dollars/Man with No Name" trilogy, and Unforgiven is an all-time Top 20 film of mine (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is Top 10). I do not know why I didn't connect with Josey Wales much. It is

Watched 'Platoon' again last night for the first time in years. I really dig the movie. I had forgotten just how many actors who would later become 'big time' actors were in that movie.

I watched this years after release. I knew it was a big film, but the hype train had long left the station. It is one of those films I am glad I watched, but can't imagine ever watching again.

Enola Holmes. A Netflix original about Sherlock and Mycroft's sister. An fun family movie that can be enjoyed without any background knowledge of Conan Doyle's stories. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7719 on: January 01, 2021, 10:20:46 PM »
Shadow in the Cloud. Gave me hella tonal whiplash. Parts take itself way too seriously, while others seem self-aware of how ridiculous it is. Not horrible, but wouldn't watch again. Chloë Grace Moretz steals the show here.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7720 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:40 AM »
Soul.

Pixar knocks it out of the park again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7721 on: January 02, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
But the hype train had long left the station.

It's always weird when you watch a movie or show that you 'missed' when it first came out or when it gained it's reputation.....and the expectations and lore are long established because it does affect how you view the content. You are at a default of high expectations.

I remember one of those movies for me was 'Something about Mary'. I didn't see it until years after it came out and heard that it was just this hilariously funny movie....and I watched it and was just like 'ehhh'.....it's ok I guess?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7722 on: January 02, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
But the hype train had long left the station.

It's always weird when you watch a movie or show that you 'missed' when it first came out or when it gained it's reputation.....and the expectations and lore are long established because it does affect how you view the content. You are at a default of high expectations.

I remember one of those movies for me was 'Something about Mary'. I didn't see it until years after it came out and heard that it was just this hilariously funny movie....and I watched it and was just like 'ehhh'.....it's ok I guess?
Platoon was one of those movies I just never connected with. A lot of the time the hype comes from being super-realistic. This was one of those movies like Private Ryan, where the authenticity is enough to traumatize people who'd lived through it, and wins every award in the book because it was so well crafted, but wasn't really all that fun to watch. SPR was better, the journey to find the kid was actually pretty good, but a lot of it just seemed like set pieces, and the story just isn't enough to really make me want to watch it again. Same goes for Platoon.

There's Something About Mary is excellent, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7723 on: January 02, 2021, 11:46:43 AM »
Oh God (1977)

This was really a damn good movie. Superficially it's a little cheesy. George Burns was the perfect choice to play God. He's funny, but with a wonderful combination of wisdom and a childlike demeanor. He was also the biggest problem with the movie. At the surface it's a bunch of pseudo-religious one-liners, like the avocado being his biggest mistake. Exactly the sort of thing George Burns was known for. It's easy to see it as simply his comedy. At the same time there's a lot more going on in the movie. Carl Rheiner correctly described it as sly, as underneath the simple jokes there's a real message, and it's kind of dark. God legitimately speaks to a man, tells him to tell others to be kind to each other, and [metaphorically this time] gets nailed to a tree because clearly he must be a loon. Jerry's doubting wife really drives the modern reality of it home with a moonshot of a line:  "Of course I believe in God. I just don't think he really exists." I'm sure it's partly because I can be a tad cynical, but the grim reality of the premise really worked for me. God appears in a tortilla somewhere and it's all good and funny, but sincerely believe that he hangs out and bullshits with you while you're shaving and you'll wind up in Atascadero.

The other thing it really had going for it was John Denver and Terri Garr. Of course I'm a huge Terri Garr fan, and it's partly because she's so damned good at playing this exact roll. When you needed a typical housewife put into an impossible situation, she was the only choice. She's a natural. John Denver as the modern Jesus was an interesting choice. I found him somewhat distracting because you can't ignore the fact that he's John Denver. I kept expecting him and George to break into Saturday Nigh in Toledo Ohio.  I think that's a big part of the reason why he worked, though. The point was that Jerry was the wrongest possible person for the job. Some random guy given a task he didn't want and couldn't cope with. Denver was actually a very good actor, and he really made you feel for his predicament*, and the fact that he just didn't seem to belong, being a musician rather than an actor, further added to the disconnect. He was just that much more out of place, as well as in over his head. Kind of a nervousness, I think.

*Just typing "predicament" in reference to a guy conversing with God really underscores the nature of the movie.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7724 on: January 02, 2021, 11:54:05 AM »
But would you still pay money to see a new film if it had Kevin Spacey in for instance ?

Kevin Spacey has done some things that I have enjoyed (although not as much as I might have thought), but I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to see a movie he was in it if it otherwise appeared to be something I'd like (e.g., Horrible Bosses was pretty funny).

I assume the intended implication of what you wrote is that Kevin Spacey did something that has resulted in people not wanting to see movies that he's in.  I don't know what that might be, but whatever it was, he certainly didn't do it to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7725 on: January 02, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Oh God (1977)

This was really a damn good movie. Superficially it's a little cheesy. George Burns was the perfect choice to play God. He's funny, but with a wonderful combination of wisdom and a childlike demeanor. He was also the biggest problem with the movie. At the surface it's a bunch of pseudo-religious one-liners, like the avocado being his biggest mistake. Exactly the sort of thing George Burns was known for. It's easy to see it as simply his comedy. At the same time there's a lot more going on in the movie. Carl Rheiner correctly described it as sly, as underneath the simple jokes there's a real message, and it's kind of dark. God legitimately speaks to a man, tells him to tell others to be kind to each other, and [metaphorically this time] gets nailed to a tree because clearly he must be a loon. Jerry's doubting wife really drives the modern reality of it home with a moonshot of a line:  "Of course I believe in God. I just don't think he really exists." I'm sure it's partly because I can be a tad cynical, but the grim reality of the premise really worked for me. God appears in a tortilla somewhere and it's all good and funny, but sincerely believe that he hangs out and bullshits with you while you're shaving and you'll wind up in Atascadero.

The other thing it really had going for it was John Denver and Terri Garr. Of course I'm a huge Terri Garr fan, and it's partly because she's so damned good at playing this exact roll. When you needed a typical housewife put into an impossible situation, she was the only choice. She's a natural. John Denver as the modern Jesus was an interesting choice. I found him somewhat distracting because you can't ignore the fact that he's John Denver. I kept expecting him and George to break into Saturday Nigh in Toledo Ohio.  I think that's a big part of the reason why he worked, though. The point was that Jerry was the wrongest possible person for the job. Some random guy given a task he didn't want and couldn't cope with. Denver was actually a very good actor, and he really made you feel for his predicament*, and the fact that he just didn't seem to belong, being a musician rather than an actor, further added to the disconnect. He was just that much more out of place, as well as in over his head. Kind of a nervousness, I think.

*Just typing "predicament" in reference to a guy conversing with God really underscores the nature of the movie.

I remember really liking this movie.  I always liked John Denver, and didn't care if my friends gave me shit about it.  And he was a pretty good actor.  I bought it, and bought into his character.  "Two points (wtf?)"  George Burns and Teri Garr were both perfectly cast.  I don't know if it would hold up today (for me), but it worked at the time.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7726 on: January 02, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

Kevin Spacey has done some things that I have enjoyed (although not as much as I might have thought), but I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't want to see a movie he was in it if it otherwise appeared to be something I'd like (e.g., Horrible Bosses was pretty funny).

I assume the intended implication of what you wrote is that Kevin Spacey did something that has resulted in people not wanting to see movies that he's in.  I don't know what that might be, but whatever it was, he certainly didn't do it to me.

But he did to to very young teens. Over and over. Since a long time. It was basically an open secret and all over the internet you'll find stories of those who saw him in exotic nations doing questionable things, of a bartender warning someone to not let their friend be alone with him etc etc.... everyone knew since a long time but only in the wake of the MeToo movement he was fully exposed (and Netflix fired him from House of Cards as a result).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7727 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »

But he did to to very young teens. Over and over. Since a long time. It was basically an open secret and all over the internet you'll find stories of those who saw him in exotic nations doing questionable things, of a bartender warning someone to not let their friend be alone with him etc etc.... everyone knew since a long time but only in the wake of the MeToo movement he was fully exposed (and Netflix fired him from House of Cards as a result).
If I ever meet him I'll call him an asshole. If I ever have a son I'll make sure to keep him the fuck away from Spacey. American Beauty is still one of my very favorite films, and if there's another movie that he's in that interests me I'll certainly check it out. I've got no problem separating the man from the work.

Also, who really gets hurt when people decide to boycott something because of the star actor? (Hint: it's never the star actor.)
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7728 on: January 02, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »
Well I'm late to the party as usual but if anyone wants to watch a scary movie then watch Bushwick. This a modern day work of speculative fiction where Texas secedes (along with other States) from the US and does so violently. The only questions are, would you join the cause or would you fight back?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7729 on: January 02, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »
Plus there was the whole deal with three seperate witnesses who came forward against Spacey either turning up dead or suddenly dropping the entire case.

There is something very wrong there and I can enjoy other movies.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7730 on: January 02, 2021, 01:54:35 PM »

Some comedies are definitely a product of their time in the sense that you almost had to see them around the time they came out to fully enjoy the comedy.  I've lost count at how many younger peeps I have seen say that they didn't think Fast Times at Ridgemont High wasn't funny at all. Maybe you had to grow up in the 80's for that one.

But I always thought There's Something About Mary was pretty timeless.  I watched it again a few months ago and still laughed pretty hard at most of it.  And seeing it in the theater after it was first out was a great experience.  My younger brother and I were there to see it in a packed theater and the collective gasp of the entire theater when they show Ted's "frank and beans" caught in the zipper was an amazing moment.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7731 on: January 02, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
I've never seen There's Something About Mary.

Fast Times is great. Just the other day a local sports radio guy was sharing a story about how he was in Vegas for a friend's birthday or bachelor party sometime in the 80s, and whatever they had planned fell through, so they went to a bar to regroup. The guy saw the actor who played Damone, and asked him if he could chat up his friend for a minute. He ended up going over to his friend in character as Damone and they hung out for a bit.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7732 on: January 03, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
If I ever meet him I'll call him an asshole. If I ever have a son I'll make sure to keep him the fuck away from Spacey. American Beauty is still one of my very favorite films, and if there's another movie that he's in that interests me I'll certainly check it out. I've got no problem separating the man from the work.

Also, who really gets hurt when people decide to boycott something because of the star actor? (Hint: it's never the star actor.)

This ^^^

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7733 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:28 AM »
Guardians Of The Galaxy.    I don't know what to make of it.  It was funny, touching at times, but so tonally different than what came before - Capt. America, Iron Man, the Avengers - that it was hard to get into "mode" to absorb the CLEARLY significant plot points in the bigger picture. 

There's also a lot of confusion that I'm hoping later movies will resolve, namely:
- why do the Kree look different here as opposed to in Captain Marvel?
- who are the Nova Corps?
- who are the girls (one is in a cell, one is the slave who grabs the Infinity Stone) with Taneleer Tivan?
- how did Tivan get Mandelbeth or whatever his name is?  (Isn't that him in the other cell?)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7734 on: January 04, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »
Guardians Of The Galaxy.    I don't know what to make of it.  It was funny, touching at times, but so tonally different than what came before - Capt. America, Iron Man, the Avengers - that it was hard to get into "mode" to absorb the CLEARLY significant plot points in the bigger picture. 

There's also a lot of confusion that I'm hoping later movies will resolve, namely:
- why do the Kree look different here as opposed to in Captain Marvel?
- who are the Nova Corps?
- who are the girls (one is in a cell, one is the slave who grabs the Infinity Stone) with Taneleer Tivan?
- how did Tivan get Mandelbeth or whatever his name is?  (Isn't that him in the other cell?)

I really liked the first GOTG movie, but not nearly as much as most others who still consider it the best of the MCU. I thought Ronan was a horrible villain and I didn't like their treatment of Thanos. However, I think shifting tones is necessary for a 22+ movie set. If everything was identical in tone it'd get really dull, really quick. MCU is already a bit too samey in that sense, so I appreciate the little differences we get. But, to try to answer your questions.

- The Kree are visually diverse. They have blue skin and "pink" skin individuals, so some look more human. The movies didn't explain it at all however.
- The NOVA corps are SUPPOSED to be a super awesome elite basically space army/police. In the comics, they are really cool. In the movies they're kind of silly and serve no real purpose other than cannon fodder. I hope they make a more serious take on them some day cause that's a lot of wasted potential.
- His little helpers? I dunno. They work for him until they get too greedy and then I guess he puts one in a cell and the other goes nuts and tries to kill him. Maybe they're slaves?
- I honestly am not sure what you're asking. Did you mean the dark elf guy from Thor? If so, I think that's just a random dark elf, and not the guy from Thor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com