Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554490 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7665 on: December 24, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
Rollercoaster (1977)

Typical 70's thriller. Not bad, but nothing particularly great about it, either. It had excellent cast, and a few cool moments, though. I'm a big Widmark fan, and this was one of his latter roles. Moreover, George Segal was excellent in the role of normal guy roped into a situation well over his head. It also helps that I'm fond of coasters and amusement parks, so there's a familiarity for me there. I've been to one of those parks and ridden the Revolution, which was integral to the movie. What really clinched it, though, was Timothy Bottoms as the bad guy. Bottoms's latter career has been helped along by his resemblance to George W. Bush. In 1977 he bore an uncanny resemblance to W from that era. Once you see this it's impossible to unsee. You therefore watch this movie seeing W. in the impossible role of a psychopath murdering innocent people to make himself filthy stinking rich. Adds a whole new dimension to an otherwise unremarkable 70s movie and I got a real kick out of it.

I think this is the flick where Segal spends most of it trying to bum a smoke or find a smoke, and never can, then at the end he finally gets one and [spoiler removed].

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7666 on: December 24, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
Went through all my favorite Xmas movies in the recent days:

The Grinch (the new one, the animated - not really an all time favorite, but it was fitting and I felt like rewatching)
Arthur Christmas (absolutely gorgeous and underrated)
The Polar Express (pure magic, the lost ticket scene alone is worth the entire movie)
Klaus (a new classic, in years to come I hope it will become even more famous)
Nightmare Before Christmas (It's not Xmas Eve for me if I can't watch it)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7667 on: December 24, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
Just watched a 1935 production of A Christmas Carol. I had no idea this version existed, it just popped up on my YouTube feed. I was hesitant at the start because Scrooge seemed such a one-dimensional bitter dick, but it really impressed me. The story was faithful, and where it deviated it didn't distract me any. Except for an oddly gluttonous Christmas Present, all the ghosts are invisible to the viewer. We don't see Marley, but the camera pans from the door to his chair when he enters Scrooge's house. We know he is there, and gave an interesting feel and gravitas to the scene. Watching Christmas Yet to Come, we see Bob (who was great as well) kneel by the body of the deceased Tiny Tim (which is in their house, for some reason) and say goodbye. I'm not aware of any version that shows a dead Tiny Tim in any fashion. It's a solid version, and available on YouTube.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7668 on: December 25, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
Last couple nights me and the kiddos watched a couple Netflix movies. First one was '6 Underground'....that Ryan Renolds 'action' flick by Michael Bay. Holy crap what a horrible movie. Neat premise but it must have been written by a first year film student. Even if you just like action and blow em' up stuff it was weak. Horrible choice by us.

Then we watched 'Old Guard'...the Charlize Theron movie. That wasn't bad. I really like the idea behind it but the story arc they took just was 'meh' to me. I feel like they missed an opportunity to make a really good movie. It was a little bland for the foundation they laid.

I watched those both when Netflix released them.  Spot on description.  Didn't help that 6 Underground was a Michael Bay film.  Total eye candy kind of movie.  No substance, but it's nice to watch this kind of movie a couple times of year ... just like eating candy.  And I'll watch anything with Charlize Theron leading it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7669 on: December 25, 2020, 08:26:35 AM »
After realizing the whole Studio Ghibli catalog is on HBO Max (first time ever on digital streaming), I finally watched Spirited Away, and will slowly work through the rest of their work. Even better than expected, and my expectations were very high.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7670 on: December 25, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
Last couple nights me and the kiddos watched a couple Netflix movies. First one was '6 Underground'....that Ryan Renolds 'action' flick by Michael Bay. Holy crap what a horrible movie. Neat premise but it must have been written by a first year film student. Even if you just like action and blow em' up stuff it was weak. Horrible choice by us.

Then we watched 'Old Guard'...the Charlize Theron movie. That wasn't bad. I really like the idea behind it but the story arc they took just was 'meh' to me. I feel like they missed an opportunity to make a really good movie. It was a little bland for the foundation they laid.

I watched those both when Netflix released them.  Spot on description.  Didn't help that 6 Underground was a Michael Bay film.  Total eye candy kind of movie.  No substance, but it's nice to watch this kind of movie a couple times of year ... just like eating candy.  And I'll watch anything with Charlize Theron leading it.

Yeah. Charlize Theron is an automatic watch for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7671 on: December 25, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
The Midnight Sky is a huge kick in the balls, but a beautifully, well acted, somber movie.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7672 on: December 25, 2020, 01:33:19 PM »
The Midnight Sky is a huge kick in the balls, but a beautifully, well acted, somber movie.

Just watched it. Yeah, your description pretty much sums it up.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7673 on: December 25, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »
SOUL!!!

that movie made me cry. You all should watch it.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7674 on: December 25, 2020, 11:08:15 PM »
Just finished watching Soul with the wife as well. Really fun, creative, and emotional film. Loved it. Pixar's best since Coco I'd say.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7675 on: December 26, 2020, 09:58:00 AM »
And justice for all (Al pacino)

I can't believe I never saw this before

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7676 on: December 26, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »
WW 84.   Don't know how I feel.

Online pg1067

« Reply #7677 on: December 26, 2020, 01:12:49 PM »
WW 84.   Don't know how I feel.

I came away from it saying "WTF?!"  I don't really feel like it was bad, but it wasn't good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7678 on: December 26, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »
Possessor (2020):

David Cronenberg’s son’s second movie. Definitely influenced by the work of his father. A very good sci-fi horror movie with some extremely graphic gore.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7679 on: December 27, 2020, 03:50:07 AM »

I enjoyed that movie.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7680 on: December 27, 2020, 06:07:32 AM »
The Midnight Sky - 2020

Watched this last night and it was ok, it seemed really fragmented. I think I might have to give it a watch again sometime because it didn't really keep my attention.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7681 on: December 27, 2020, 06:28:34 AM »
On the heels of having chugged down all the three seasons of The Inbetweeners, I watched the following movie.

"Teen holiday" is the least of my favorite genre but of course having known the characters and seeing it as a continuation of the series it was just as funny as the series.

I also watched the new Witches, with Anne Hathaway, remake of the 1990 movie.... nope. Big nope. Not my thing at all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7682 on: December 27, 2020, 09:19:27 AM »

I enjoyed that movie.  :tup

SPOILERS

It wasn’t a bad movie per say....I think for me the issue was that they could have spent some more time in the past to make the “regret” and the reflecting on that past a little more meaningful and powerful. And They really relied on the audience to piece together that story on their own with the way they fragmented it when presenting it. I’m all for interesting storytelling....but it just seemed to me this was on the cusp of being really well done.....but it fell a little short, for me. The bones were there for sure but for me the execution of it all was just knocking on the door of being really good.....and remained in the ‘alright’ zone the entire movie. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7683 on: December 27, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
And justice for all (Al pacino)

I can't believe I never saw this before
I loved Forsythe as the bad guy. Talk about a chilling bastard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7684 on: December 27, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »

I also watched the new Witches, with Anne Hathaway, remake of the 1990 movie.... nope. Big nope. Not my thing at all.

I'm never watching that. Was a fan of the original and I can't believe Bob Zemeckis made the Back To The Future trilogy and now makes junk like that and Beowulf and Mars Needs Moms

and Polar Express.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7685 on: December 27, 2020, 11:52:11 AM »
Polar Express is a fantastic movie, with the animation style not being that offputting, and that's a hill I'm gonna die on.  :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7686 on: December 27, 2020, 07:58:48 PM »
I'm creeped out by the Polar Express. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7687 on: December 27, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »
With some animation styles, I can watch, and after a few minutes my brain just accepts what it's seeing as "real" and I'm fine with it from there.  The Polar Express is too uncanny for me.  I can never make the adjustment; the people always look weird and creepy to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7688 on: December 28, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
I remember when Final Fantasy : Spirits Within was hailed as "looking exactly like photography" and it really didn't.

I think the best version of it i've seen to date was young Michael Douglas in Ant Man.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7689 on: December 28, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »

I'm with you. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7690 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984

After watching, my wife said "DC does it again!  Disappointment Central!"

We both enjoyed the first Wonder Woman film very much, and were looking forward to this, but it was not good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7691 on: December 28, 2020, 09:28:02 AM »
I watched Thor last night for the first time; never a Thor guy in the comics, but that was a damn good movie.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7692 on: December 28, 2020, 09:30:53 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984

We both enjoyed the first Wonder Woman film very much, and were looking forward to this, but it was not good.

It's bad then? I thought that Wonder Woman was the best DC movie that far, and that they finally learnt how to do them. Pity if they forgot again with the very character that helped them to make a truly enjoyable movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7693 on: December 28, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984

It's bad then? I thought that Wonder Woman was the best DC movie that far, and that they finally learnt how to do them. Pity if they forgot again with the very character that helped them to make a truly enjoyable movie.
We also thought that Wonder Woman was the best film DC had produced in this series.  But this one didn't work for us at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7694 on: December 28, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »

I'm with you.

I've never watched it. The animation style didn't jibe with me so I never gave it a chance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7695 on: December 28, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »
I watched Thor last night for the first time; never a Thor guy in the comics, but that was a damn good movie.

Ragnarok is the best them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7696 on: December 28, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
I watched the series Babylon Berlin, set during the Weimar Republic, and I got the inspiration to see Metropolis, the iconic 1927 movie.

I know it's not an ideal thing to do, but it was so long for such an old mute movie, so I watched in bits and chunks, as if they were episodes of a series, but still, I managed to watch it. The story was compelling enough and it was cool to see how they were already striving for special effects one century ago. Definitively worth it as long one's interested in these kind of old movies.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7697 on: December 28, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »

Ragnarok is the best them.

Agreed.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Dream Team

« Reply #7698 on: December 28, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
Soul

Lots of good feels as par the course for Pixar.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7699 on: December 28, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »
And today, Captain Marvel.   Very good not great. 

Tonight, the Avengers.