Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561740 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7560 on: November 05, 2020, 11:59:40 AM »
The Good Neighbor with James Caan. I cried at the end where the twist happens. (Don't want to spoil it)
Just a week ago I looked in amazement that Caan was still alive. I didn't have any reason to think he was dead. I just haven't seen him in anything since the 70s.

It wouldn't be a party without James Caan.

He was on a TV show I liked called Las Vegas in the mid 2000's.  That's the last I saw him on TV.

He was also in the "renowned Christmas classic", Elf with Will Farrell.  :rollin

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7561 on: November 05, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
The Good Neighbor with James Caan. I cried at the end where the twist happens. (Don't want to spoil it)

I really liked that movie. Underrated for sure.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7562 on: November 05, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
Has “Elf” surpassed “A Christmas Story” or “It’s a Wonderful Life” as the top Christmas movie? Could be up for debate

I won’t include Die Hard or Lethal Weapon for controversy sakes lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7563 on: November 05, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
Just a week ago I looked in amazement that Caan was still alive. I didn't have any reason to think he was dead. I just haven't seen him in anything since the 70s.

It wouldn't be a party without James Caan.

He was on a TV show I liked called Las Vegas in the mid 2000's.  That's the last I saw him on TV.

He was also in the "renowned Christmas classic", Elf with Will Farrell.  :rollin

2003 for Elf.  Las Vegas ended in 2008! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7564 on: November 05, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »
Has “Elf” surpassed “A Christmas Story” or “It’s a Wonderful Life” as the top Christmas movie? Could be up for debate

Not according to this recently published list:  https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a50565/best-christmas-movies-of-all-time/

Of course, like any other list, it's completely subjective, but I've never cared for A Christmas Story, I think Christmas Vacation kinda sucks, and I watched Elf once (I think -- on a plane) and wasn't impressed.  I honestly wouldn't go out of my way to watch any of the top 13 on the list, and the list has Die Hard at #26, which is a crime.  And, the list has Batman Returns, which may invalidate it entirely.

James Caan

One of those guys who's super famous, but looking at his filmography, I probably haven't seen more than five things he's done (Eraser and Mickey Blue Eyes probably being my favorite).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7565 on: November 05, 2020, 05:09:30 PM »

Not according to this recently published list:  https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a50565/best-christmas-movies-of-all-time/

Of course, like any other list, it's completely subjective, but I've never cared for A Christmas Story, I think Christmas Vacation kinda sucks, and I watched Elf once (I think -- on a plane) and wasn't impressed.  I honestly wouldn't go out of my way to watch any of the top 13 on the list, and the list has Die Hard at #26, which is a crime.  And, the list has Batman Returns, which may invalidate it entirely.

James Caan

One of those guys who's super famous, but looking at his filmography, I probably haven't seen more than five things he's done (Eraser and Mickey Blue Eyes probably being my favorite).

I know it’s subjective PG.......but I’m watching Die Hard and Lethal Weapon all through the Christmas season  :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7566 on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
I’m watching Die Hard and Lethal Weapon all through the Christmas season  :metal

:tup :tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7567 on: November 10, 2020, 01:56:43 PM »

James Caan

I know it’s subjective PG.......but I’m watching Die Hard and Lethal Weapon all through the Christmas season  :metal
Don't forget Gremlins!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7568 on: November 11, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
Gotti (1996) (HBO)

I watched it on the recommendation of Michael Franzese, who rates it a the most authentic mob movie. And since he was there and knew all of these people, I kind of have to take him at his word on that. The cast is excellent. Armand Asante and Anthony Quinn, plus a dozen or so regular gangster actors we've all seen before. I don't think you can actually call something a gangster movie if Frank Vincent isn't involved. William Forsythe was excellent as Sammy Gravano (kind of reminded me of a young Willem Defoe). As for the movie itself, it covered all of the bases, but didn't really provide much character insight. It was essentially a very high quality docudrama. I've got no problem with docudramas, I generally enjoy them, but they don't often make for the best cinema. Sometimes he comes off as truly pious, yet you never have any understanding how real or phony it may be. You really don't learn much about who he is, but you learn a great deal about what he did and how he operated. Still, if you're interested in an apparently dead on portrayal of what Gotti's world was like, it's definitely worth a watch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7569 on: November 14, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »

Jeez, I hope not. Elf is funny, but can't touch the classics, and as far as Christmas films that came out since I've been born, it is not in the same stratosphere as Home Alone or Christmas Vacation.  If you ask me. ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7570 on: November 15, 2020, 03:22:57 AM »
I re-watched Terminator 3 for the first time probably since it came out.

Apart from the very beginning - the film isn't really that 'dumb'.

I did notice however that there are barely any night time scenes.

It should have had the subtitle " Judgement Daytime " - since it's largely the same film again but almost exclusively in daylight.

I definitely think it's better than Salvation though.

-------------

If I HAD to rank the Terminator movies they would be ranked thusly :

1. Judgement Day. No question.
2. The Terminator
3. Genisys - I like it a lot. It's definitely the best "T" film since the 2nd film.
4. Rise Of The Machines - really not as bad as its reputation.
5. Salvation. Nah.

I've not seen Dark Fate. But I will at some point.  But i'm glad it tanked in a way since now they might stop making the same film over and over.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7571 on: November 15, 2020, 03:24:37 AM »

Jeez, I hope not. Elf is funny, but can't touch the classics, and as far as Christmas films that came out since I've been born, it is not in the same stratosphere as Home Alone or Christmas Vacation.  If you ask me. ;)

I've not seen ELF but I really dislike Will Ferrell's style of 'comedy' WHERE YOU JUST SCREAM IMROV UNTIL YOU ACCIDENTALLY SAY SOMETHING FUNNY THAT GETS LEFT IN

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7572 on: November 15, 2020, 06:30:56 AM »
Watched Doolittle last night. Absolutely heartwarming.   A great family film.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7573 on: November 15, 2020, 07:41:58 AM »

I've not seen ELF but I really dislike Will Ferrell's style of 'comedy' WHERE YOU JUST SCREAM IMROV UNTIL YOU ACCIDENTALLY SAY SOMETHING FUNNY THAT GETS LEFT IN
I've never been a Will Ferrell fan either, but Elf is fantastic. Definitely a top 5 Christmas classic movie. One of the few we watch every year.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7574 on: November 15, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
What kind of direction does Will Ferrell receive on the set? Is it something like "Just be you," kinda like what a director would tell Nicolas Cage?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7575 on: November 15, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
I don't know how I've gone so long without having ever seen It's a Wonderful Life, especially with how much I've seen it parodied in other popular media. Really heart-warming stuff and a quality holiday film.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7576 on: November 15, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
People throw out the term "timeless" too often. It's a Wonderful Life is something that rightly deserves that label.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7577 on: November 15, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
What kind of direction does Will Ferrell receive on the set? Is it something like "Just be you," kinda like what a director would tell Nicolas Cage?

That would be my guess.  Will Ferrell is very hit or miss for me.  When he hits, it's great, but when he misses, it's painful to watch.  Fortunately, he has enough hits.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7578 on: November 15, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
That goes against my point though [not saying I am right, just asking the question]... when is Will Ferrell not doing Will Ferrell? I admit I am biased because I generally don't find him funny, and it seems he is just being him any time I see him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7579 on: November 15, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »
That goes against my point though... when is Will Ferrell not doing Will Ferrell? I admit I am biased because I generally don't find him funny, and it seems he is just being him any time I see him.

I guess it depends on how good the story is around him and how good the other characters are.  Anchorman probably wouldn't have worked without the great supporting cast.  He is good in Old School because he is only a supporting character, so his moments are not coming at you non-stop.  I guess for me Elf isn't great because take away Ferrell and the rest of the movie is blah because Ferrell's shtick alone can only carry a film so far.  Even the famous cowbell skit on SNL wouldn't be nearly as great without the reactions of the band members and Christopher Walken.  On the flip side, I find Step Brothers nearly unbearable to watch because it just feels like a film where you are beat over the head with Ferrell's shtick (even feels like John C. Reilly is channeling it).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7580 on: November 15, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
The SNL reference is appropriate because that is what his style is best suited for. Consider how many great SNL skits were turned in to poor feature films. A hilarious 5 minute sketch cannot automatically translate to 2 hours of hilarity. Sometimes less is indeed more.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7581 on: November 15, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
The SNL reference is appropriate because that is what his style is best suited for. Consider how many great SNL skits were turned in to poor feature films. A hilarious 5 minute sketch cannot automatically translate to 2 hours of hilarity. Sometimes less is indeed more.

Without a doubt.  I never saw the Night at the Roxbury film (or whatever it was called), but I heard it was awful.  Yet the skits on SNL were always great (and I was never really an SNL watcher).  I stumbled across the one with Jim Carrey a while back and that has to be one of the best things ever on the show.  His personality and physical comedy were tailor-made for that skit.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7582 on: November 15, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »

Yup.  I just looked at his filmography, and there's nothing on there that I think was great or even really good.  But he had some GREAT stuff on SNL -- where he wasn't playing himself.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7583 on: November 15, 2020, 04:56:21 PM »
Had an amusing experience last night.  I decided to put in a DVD while I was winding out before bed last night, and I chose one of the oldest DVDs in my collection:  The Pelican Brief.

For starters, that initial run of John Grisham books made into movies was really, really good -- especially The Firm and The Pelican Brief.

But anyway...I'm watching the movie, and all of a sudden, it just stops playing.  I thought, "WTF?!"  I clicked the menu button on the remote and went to "scene selection."  At that point, I realized what was happening:  it was a double-sided disc, and I needed to flip it over to play the rest of the movie.  I had completely forgotten that really old DVDs sometimes did that.  Kinda funny.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7584 on: November 15, 2020, 06:59:37 PM »
I was working at a theater when The Firm came out. On more than one occasion someone came out in the middle of a showing and asked us "How long is this damn movie?"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7585 on: November 16, 2020, 08:15:37 AM »
Had an amusing experience last night.  I decided to put in a DVD while I was winding out before bed last night, and I chose one of the oldest DVDs in my collection:  The Pelican Brief.

For starters, that initial run of John Grisham books made into movies was really, really good -- especially The Firm and The Pelican Brief.

But anyway...I'm watching the movie, and all of a sudden, it just stops playing.  I thought, "WTF?!"  I clicked the menu button on the remote and went to "scene selection."  At that point, I realized what was happening:  it was a double-sided disc, and I needed to flip it over to play the rest of the movie.  I had completely forgotten that really old DVDs sometimes did that.  Kinda funny.

Haha I think I still have some double-sided DVDs somewhere. I haven't played any of my DVDs in ages. I think the 1978 Superman was the first dual side DVD I owned. We've come a long way from those days.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7586 on: November 16, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
So, I don't know if it belongs here or in the TV thread, but I'm going to throw it out there:  The Hallmark Christmas movies.   I love them (for what they are).   It's like a Lay's potato chip; nothing fancy, you know what you're getting, but they hit the spot.   The plots are all the same:  insanely-hot-but-she-doesn't-know-it girl leaves her hometown - family, friends, handsome-yet-down-to-earth boyfriend who'd rather stay on the farm or keep his little construction business - for the bright lights and big city.  Some trauma/event/celebration brings her home, only for her to realize what she gave up, what she had been missing.  Love rekindles, and life is good again.

I know it sounds so hokey, but with all the COVID, the political nonsense, etc. it's such a nice diversion.  When the kids are not around for dinner, my wife and I will make dinner and watch one or two.  There are literally three channels running these 24-7 through the Christmas season, so there's no "searching".   We watched a good one with Candice Cameron Bure last week, and one with Allison Sweeney over the weekend. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7587 on: November 16, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »
My wife loves Hallmark Christmas Movies.  I watch them with her sometimes because we don't actually do a lot of stuff together (because we don't do much at all due to lockdowns) and sitting and watching a movie together counts as together time.  I'm usually pretty baked, and the girls are all pretty and the scenery is nice, and I generally have no idea WTF is going on in the movie, but it doesn't matter.  We're spending time together watching a movie together.  I am a good and loving husband.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7588 on: November 17, 2020, 05:06:36 AM »
Even with those heart felt endorsements, I have no desire to watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.

My wife likes football, sci-fi, and action movies so I just don't need to go there.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7589 on: November 17, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
Even with those heart felt endorsements, I have no desire to watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.

My wife likes football, sci-fi, and action movies so I just don't need to go there.

My wife loves all these but had a soft spot for "The Good Witch" & Gilmore Girls."

I cannot take the snobbish dialog in these shows.  Yuck.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7590 on: November 17, 2020, 07:28:17 AM »
Call me a sap, but there's just something...  comforting about them.  They're like warm chocolate chip cookies.  You can't live on them, but in the moment, they hit the spot.

There's a lot of discussion in the TV thread about the new shoes going all "COVID" writing that and the racial protests into the script... I've had to give up regular news for my sanity, so if I can't watch CNN or Fox - supposedly fact-based, unbiased reporting on these issues - why would I ever watch a Hollywood TV screenwriter's interpretation of the issues?  The Hallmark movies are more basic than that; they're set in Everytown, USA, they are uncomplicated in their issues and problems and solutions.   No government getting involved to solve the issue, no politicians bloviating on "solutions"...., and through basic human emotions, connections, understanding they find resolution. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7591 on: November 17, 2020, 08:26:26 AM »
My brother is a huge Hallmark Christmas movie fan.

I can't do it.  But I am glad that they exist, for the people who like them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7592 on: November 17, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »
My brother wife/daughter is a huge Hallmark Christmas movie fan.

I can't do it.  But I am glad that they exist, for the people who like them.

They'll watch 4-5 nights per week.  Which is great, cuz then I get my workout it, and/or something to watch for jingle.son.

All the power to ya Bill.  Not my cuppa however.

@ Gregg... you lucky sonofa...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7593 on: November 17, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
I don't mind the cheesy Christmas movies. We usually watch a few of them each Christmas season. For me it's just part of the season and it's a movie my wife will actually watch with me, which is rare.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7594 on: November 17, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »
@ Gregg... you lucky sonofa...

:lol

That's right, bucko. We drink whiskey together too.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens