Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560223 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7525 on: October 02, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »
Quint is one of my favorite characters in movies.  I loved the way Shaw portrayed him.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7526 on: October 02, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
I've seen, maybe, 1 other shark movie, and heard of no more than 5. Is it that big of a genre I am missing out on?

When all is said and done with Spielberg's career, Jaws might be his crowning achievement, considering his age at the time, the challenges the crew faced, and how it helped shape the box office landscape of the 70s and the motion picture industry for decades.

Agree about Spielberg, and I'm in the same boat with shark movies (pun intended).  The Sharknado movies are obviously not intended to be quality cinema.  The Meg was a cool action flick, but it's complete disregard of the plot of the the book on which it is supposedly based left a bad taste in my mouth.  Any other shark movies I've come across have been pretty low budget.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7527 on: October 02, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »
Speaking of Spielberg...

What was his last truly great film ? I loved War Of The Worlds (2005) and saw it on the big screen.

I haven't loved any of his films since then. Tintin was alright I think ? I only saw it once though.

Ready Player One was just a nostalgia fest and not great at all.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7528 on: October 02, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
I really enjoyed The Post. Not his best but a good movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7529 on: October 02, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
Speaking of Spielberg...

What was his last truly great film ?

Bridge of Spies was really, really good.

Lincoln was critically-acclaimed

In 2017, the New York Times named Munich the "best film of the 21st Century so far."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7530 on: October 02, 2020, 01:08:44 PM »
I wasn't crazy about Munich, but I can't argue with the acclaim that it got. It was a wonderful bit of film-making, even it parts of it weren't for me (and parts of it most definitely were).

Just saw that Spielberg's movies have earned 133 Oscar nominations, and won 34. He's also worth 3.4 billion dollars. He's doing a whole lot to establish himself as the GOAT.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7531 on: October 02, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »
Dead Heat (1988) - A very uneven movie. There are some really fun and creative scenes and the overall story and concept I actually really like. It's just a shame that the actual plot gets in the way of things. Most of the dialog is writer Terry Black trying to write like his younger brother Shane Black with VERY mixed results. Not a great movie but not as bad as the scathing reviews at the time implied. Also it's just always nice to see Vincent Price pop up in things.

I would actually like to see this one be remade. I feel like someone could really improve on the concept
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7532 on: October 02, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
I remember Dead Heat.  Fun movie overall, but as you said, uneven.  It's like it wasn't quite sure what the tone was trying to be, how serious it was supposed to be with all the undead stuff.  Are we going for laughs, just kinda weird, what?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7533 on: October 02, 2020, 10:59:41 PM »
Just saw that Spielberg's movies have earned 133 Oscar nominations, and won 34. He's also worth 3.4 billion dollars. He's doing a whole lot to establish himself as the GOAT.

Two common aspects of GOATs is that 1) they choose (to the best of their ability) to surround themselves with the best talent, and 2) they elevate those around them. Spielberg has worked with the best composers, editors, and such, and I am sure done his part to help make them the best they can be at what they do.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7534 on: October 03, 2020, 06:50:14 AM »
Deep Blue Sea was shocking. The Meg was fun and all the ShartNado films are atrocious.

I really enjoyed Deep Blue Sea and The Meg. If I see Deep Blue Sea on TV I'll always stop to watch it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7535 on: October 10, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »
I just finally saw Glass.
Let me get something out of the way to start with, I think M. Night Shyamalan is a one-trick pony and colossally lucky hack.
I think James McAvoy carries the shit out of this movie, he's just that fuckin good.
If it weren't for McAvoy -come to think of it- Split would have been pretty boring and would have lost it's shine about 30 minutes into the movie, it's a psycho abduction movie, I've seen several representations of that premise!
Glass had me engaged because it felt like a Split sequel, it wandered through the Unbreakable characters but always shifted focus back to the Horde quickly and had McAvoy do the heavy-lifting for the thin-ass plot and the weak performances from the other actors. Don't get me wrong, you could pull a decent performance out of Sam Jackson if you give him something to work with, he just didn't have enough here. And Bruce Willis does even less than his usual bare minimum.
I did enjoy seeing David Dunn and Mr. Glass after all these years, it was also pretty cool they got the same kid that played Dunn's son in Unbreakable to play the same character as an adult, sometime it pays off releasing a sequel 20 years after the original.
I also won't lie that the Horde character had me emotionally invested, again due to McAvoy's performance.
So overall; the good and the bad kinda evened each other out for me with this movie.
I'll probably watch the trilogy in it's entirety again one day.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7536 on: October 10, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
I was very surprised by how much I loved Glass. I watched unbreakable recently and it still really holds up. Split was amazing too and I thought Glass was a proper sequel, though I can see why people hated it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7537 on: October 10, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
Children of Men. Dystopian movie set in the UK in 2027, in a scenario where humanity has gone infertile and no child has been born in 18 years. Very interesting, gripping, great performances from Clive Owen and Michael Caine, and In the Court of the Crimson King is in the soundtrack. Oh, there's also a scene at the "Pink Floyd factory" (you know which one, the one from the cover) and there's a pig flying over it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7538 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
Children of Men. Dystopian movie set in the UK in 2027, in a scenario where humanity has gone infertile and no child has been born in 18 years. Very interesting, gripping, great performances from Clive Owen and Michael Caine, and In the Court of the Crimson King is in the soundtrack. Oh, there's also a scene at the "Pink Floyd factory" (you know which one, the one from the cover) and there's a pig flying over it.
Coal fired power plant, FYI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7539 on: October 12, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
Yup, that one, didn't feel like looking it up so I just typed something people would recognize  :lol

Another entry for me: Enola Holmes. Yup, THAT Holmes. Eleven has Superman as a brother and a somehow famous private investigator.

It was fun, the movie is not terribly serious and does nothing to hide it, and probably teenagers will love it even more. It's just the good mix of switching-off-your-brain fun and a legit plot mixed with the period setting.

Also, from Sherlock Holmes we can go to the Robert Downey Jr. take on the character, in two movies directed by Guy Ritchie. Who directed also Snatch. I basically forgot almost everything about the movie so I rewatched it again. Hilarious and witty from beginning to end. What a riot of a movie. If Tarantino had made it, it would have been hailed as one of his masterpieces.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7540 on: October 12, 2020, 08:48:40 AM »
Finding Vivian Maier: Very interesting documentary about a brilliant but reclusive street photographer that nobody knew about until she passed away and a guy discovered her negatives and started publishing her work online. 4/5

Waltz with Bashir: Pretty cool animated film about a guy searching for his lost memories of the 1982 Lebanon War. The ending is very tough to watch. 3.5/5

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7541 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
I watched The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), the old Hammer film. 

A little slow, but lots of fun.  The score was great, Peter Cushing is fantastic, and Christopher Lee was unrecognizable as the creature.  Certainly not perfect, but got me in the Halloween mood for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7542 on: October 14, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »

A little slow, but lots of fun.  The score was great, Peter Cushing is fantastic, and Christopher Lee was unrecognizable as the creature.  Certainly not perfect, but got me in the Halloween mood for sure.

One of my personal favorites. I have a huge soft spot for Hammer Horror. Especially ones starring Cushing or Lee two of my favorite actors
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7543 on: October 15, 2020, 07:49:33 AM »

One of my personal favorites. I have a huge soft spot for Hammer Horror. Especially ones starring Cushing or Lee two of my favorite actors
Aren't one or the other of them (or both) in most of the Hammer horror films?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7544 on: October 15, 2020, 08:34:28 AM »

Aren't one or the other of them (or both) in most of the Hammer horror films?

The more well known ones yes but that company made a lot of films. I like stumbling across ones by them I hadn't heard of before like Vampire Circus.

Though I will say Cushing was in quite a lot of them because he just embraced the typecasting and did mostly horror for the rest of his career.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7545 on: October 17, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Guy Ritchie's debut. Quite funny but it was so fast paced and with weird accents that I'll probably have to rewatch it sometime  :D it was basically a precursor to Snatch.

Inside Llewyn Davis - from the Cohen Brothers, about a down on his luck folk singer in 1960s' New York. Slow but very well made, it really brings you in and takes you along for a ride. Very well done, quite reccomended.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7546 on: October 17, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »
Funny thing is I haven't seen Snatch. But I've seen Lock , Stock at least 3 times. I keep planning to watch Snatch but never end up doing it.

Hell House LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018): Pretty good but a step down from the first one. some creepy moments but some of the acting really dragged some scenes down.

WNUF Halloween Special (2013): A movie made to look like a VHS recording of an 80s news broadcast. The movie was actually really well made.....which is also it's biggest downfall. The movie includes the Commercial breaks and they look like actual cheap local commercials. Some of them are funny but a lot are just regular fake ads. If they were all satire like the ones in Robocop or just had less of them the movie would be far more enjoyable. Instead it just feels like cheap padding.

Heathers (1989): A fun dark comedy starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. Feels like a John Hughes 80's high school movie but with murder. Lots of fun and memorable lines in this.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7547 on: October 17, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
Funny thing is I haven't seen Snatch. But I've seen Lock , Stock at least 3 times. I keep planning to watch Snatch but never end up doing it.

It shares some actors and the theme of groups of low-key criminals coming at odds with each other and the very random cards that fate deals, if you enjoyed Lock Stock and Stuff three times, I'd wager you can at least enjoy Snatch once  ;D

Online faizoff

« Reply #7548 on: October 17, 2020, 08:13:04 PM »
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Guy Ritchie's debut. Quite funny but it was so fast paced and with weird accents that I'll probably have to rewatch it sometime  :D it was basically a precursor to Snatch.

Inside Llewyn Davis - from the Cohen Brothers, about a down on his luck folk singer in 1960s' New York. Slow but very well made, it really brings you in and takes you along for a ride. Very well done, quite reccomended.

Stock is hilarious as is Snatch, probably my two fav Guy Ritchie movies.

I think Llewyn Davis might actually be my favorite Coen brothers movie, even more than No Country for Old men. Such an amazing movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7549 on: October 24, 2020, 05:35:26 AM »
Amazing movie indeed!

Saw Dagon, a 2001 movie about the Lovecraft mythos. At times a bit corny and campy but overall they managed to recreate the spanish version of the infamous Innsmouth quite well.  Not such a terrible choice in these times leading up to Halloween.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7550 on: October 26, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »
Driven, with Jason Sudeikis, about John DeLorean.  Entertaining, but...  it seemed a bit campy.  Jason Sudeikis is great at playing.... Jason Sudeikis, but it gave this movie a sort of "jokiness" that I'm not sure it deserved. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7551 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »
The Horror of Dracula (known in the UK as simply Dracula), the first Hammer film to star Christopher Lee as the Count.

Fun, fun, fun. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7552 on: October 27, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
Watched a whole lot of films lately, but I wanted to say I just watched 1917 and loved it. Was on the edge of my seat during the entire thing and boy is it filmed great. Not just the supurb execution of the whole one shot approach, there many many great shots that stuck with me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7553 on: October 27, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »
Re-watched The Prophecy with Christopher walken.

Can't decide if I liked it or disliked it and I've always felt that way. Walken's performance is excellent and Viggo mortensen's portrayal of lucifer is truly captivating, but the story and pacing gets very muddy in places. And something about it just feels off. Still cool for what it is.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7554 on: November 03, 2020, 04:05:01 AM »
Halloween week brought me on horror / themed movies. Saw...

Get Out - quite good and original, about a guy visiting his girlfriend's family and things going not exactly splendid. Worth a watch.

A Quiet Place - post apocalyptic movie with Jack Ryan (or Jim Harper if you prefer  :D) in a world where you don't have to make noise because alien beasts are sensitive to sound. I appreciate the effort but it's not my kind of thing.

Goosebumps - This is not really scary, more fun for all the family. From the book series to the screen with Jack Black and a group of teens trying to fight off monsters that came alive from the pages of the book. Just some mindless fun to mix some humour and "scary" stuff.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - This was probably the best of the bunch, a nice and not too cliched horror story about a book where a vengeful ghosts write stories that happen in real life, with the protagonist's friends dying one by one. Good and not the usual horror movie with exagerated violence or gore.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #7555 on: November 05, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »
The Good Neighbor with James Caan. I cried at the end where the twist happens. (Don't want to spoil it)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7556 on: November 05, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »
The Good Neighbor with James Caan. I cried at the end where the twist happens. (Don't want to spoil it)
Just a week ago I looked in amazement that Caan was still alive. I didn't have any reason to think he was dead. I just haven't seen him in anything since the 70s.

It wouldn't be a party without James Caan.
E.F. Benson

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7557 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »
You haven’t seen Misery?

If not check it out, Kathy is terrifying.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:28:19 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7558 on: November 05, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
Just a week ago I looked in amazement that Caan was still alive. I didn't have any reason to think he was dead. I just haven't seen him in anything since the 70s.

James Caan is one of those guys.  Great actor, and one of the few actors that can pull off the concept that you always know "that's Jimmy Caan" but you forget it's him at the same time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7559 on: November 05, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »

He was on a TV show I liked called Las Vegas in the mid 2000's.  That's the last I saw him on TV.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC