Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554728 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7420 on: September 04, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »
There's a new Charlie Kaufman movie out today called I'm Thinking of Ending Things (on Netflix). Same guy that did being john Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal sunshine on the spotless mind.

I was very much looking forward to seeing it, but I really did not like it. It was certainly thought provoking, but it left me feeling a little disturbed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:39:29 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7421 on: September 04, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
You know, I really have to give that guy credit. He was famous as hell before he started acting (in movies)

Eh...being a big name in wrestlacting ≠ "famous as hell."  I certainly had never heard of him before he started making movies.

I watched Passengers over the past two nights.  What a dud!  I felt like the premise was good, and they could have done so much more with it than they did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7422 on: September 04, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »
You know, I really have to give that guy credit. He was famous as hell before he started acting (in movies)

Eh...being a big name in wrestlacting ≠ "famous as hell."  I certainly had never heard of him before he started making movies.

I watched Passengers over the past two nights.  What a dud!  I felt like the premise was good, and they could have done so much more with it than they did.

That happens when they redo the script and move the big twist to the beginning of the movie
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7423 on: September 06, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »
It was certainly thought provoking, but it left me feeling a little disturbed.

Cause what we all need right now is movies that make us even more miserable. . .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7424 on: September 11, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
We watched the new Mulan.

It was very entertaining.  I especially enjoyed the fact that it was NOT a musical and feature no talking dragon.

The cameo at the end was a nice touch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7425 on: September 12, 2020, 06:29:06 AM »
Blinded By the Light. A coming of age story about a son of pakistani emigrants in the UK in the '80s, who wants to become a writer and discovers Bruce Springsteen's music which has a profound impact on him.

Nice as any coming of age movie can be, of course the big draw are the references to Springsteen's music and his songs which are all over the movie. Watching it not knowing Springsteen would be pointless.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7426 on: September 12, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Blinded By the Light. A coming of age story about a son of pakistani emigrants in the UK in the '80s, who wants to become a writer and discovers Bruce Springsteen's music which has a profound impact on him.

Nice as any coming of age movie can be, of course the big draw are the references to Springsteen's music and his songs which are all over the movie. Watching it not knowing Springsteen would be pointless.
I don't know anything about Springsteen other than his hits and I enjoyed that movie.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7427 on: September 12, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
That's good then! the hits are what are most represented in the movie anyway, for the vast majority....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7428 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:00 AM »
Last movie saw: only 45 years after its release, and the first time ever.... Jaws!

Yup, never ever seen that movie. Just wanted to scratch off the "movies everybody have seen but I didn't" list this one.

Seeing it now, it's just another "old" action movie, but of course I do realize that back then it was groundbreaking and that it started basically the summer blockbuster trend. If I remember correctly, it was basically the movie that put Spielberg on the map so it couldn't really have just sucked, or being an overrated one.

Fun fact - in italian the movie is called The Shark (well, the italian name for the shark), and it was famous enough for having always known about it even though I never saw it, and so when eventually I started to deal more and more with the english speaking world, it took me some time to realize that this "Jaws" people were mentioning was what I knew as "The Shark"  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7429 on: September 13, 2020, 02:38:32 AM »
This is the first time you’ve seen “Jaws”????.......super cool......but this just isn’t any other movie, this is a blockbuster....now you owe it to yourself to watch Jaws 2 which was a very good sequel along with Jaws 3 which is a cheese factor but awesome.....you can avoid part 4......blech

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7430 on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:59 AM »
Jaws in France was called

Dents Du La Mer

Even better - I really hope that Jaws 2 was called

Dents Du La Mer Deux  ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7431 on: September 13, 2020, 02:57:40 AM »
This is the first time you’ve seen “Jaws”????

If you think about it, it's not that hard to NOT see a movie, with the big quantity of stuff to see. First of all, the movie is 4 years older than me. Then you can deduce that I was a kid in the '80s where there wasn't Netflix and the likes, but you depended on whatever was being passed on TV in the evening. It's not that hard to miss a movie that was already 10 years old when I was starting to have the age to understand movies, and maybe with only one TV in the house my mum or my dad didn't care for watching it, I wasn't really lord of the remote control or anyway someone who insisted strongly on seeing whatever there was to see. All it takes is to miss a couple of reruns and then as you grow older the list of movies you want to see becomes larger and larger, and so the new stuff you see always prevents you from seeing old movies.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7432 on: September 13, 2020, 03:01:54 AM »
You didn’t need to write a long rebuttal. It’s cool that you watched Jaws, now continue on up until part 3

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7433 on: September 13, 2020, 04:06:49 AM »
3 is The worst one by a long way

Only entertaining by how jaw droppingly shit it is.

Jaws 4 is just crap

Only entertaining by how jaw droppingly shit it is.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7434 on: September 13, 2020, 04:10:43 AM »
Jaws - masterpiece
Jaws 2 - good/solid sequel that doesn't match the original but if you got appetite for more it's worth it
Jaws 3D - crap and outside the hilarious 'shark gliding towards the screen' it's mostly just boring and not worth
Jaws 4: The Revenge - you could argue and say it's a 'so bad it's good' movie, featuring a shark that follows the family from america to the bahamas

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7435 on: September 13, 2020, 06:54:56 AM »
I've never seen Jaws, either.  I've read the book, though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7436 on: September 13, 2020, 06:55:47 AM »
The ending in the film is completely different.

There's no romantic subplot either. It just throws it out entirely.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7437 on: September 13, 2020, 08:50:02 AM »
Have my 8 year old nephew for a sleepover.   We watched,

Bumblebee.  Blew away any Transformers movie.
TMNT: Out Of The Showers.  Much better than the earlier movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7438 on: September 13, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »
I feel so bad for Bumblebee. By far the best Transformers movie since 1986, but the Bay movies had amassed so much ill will by that point that I don’t think it performed very well. Meaning the studios will assume people don’t want more like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7439 on: September 13, 2020, 08:59:10 AM »
Imagine a movie costing $125 million  that made $468 million worldwide be considered a failure? It made the last of all the movies but was critically acclaimed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7440 on: September 13, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
I watched Animal House for the first time ever. For a 40 year old movie I enjoyed it and had some good laughs here and there. Probably would have been laughing my ass off if I saw it back in 78

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7441 on: September 13, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
I watched Animal House for the first time ever. For a 40 year old movie I enjoyed it and had some good laughs here and there. Probably would have been laughing my ass off if I saw it back in 78
One of my all-time favorites. The star of the movie was Elmer Bernstein. Elmer always wrote his scores to be another character in the film, and this might have been his best example. Every scene is perfectly choreographed. Fun fact: John Landis brought all of the Delta House members to the shoot a week or two early, and set them all up on the top floor of a hotel so they could party together and bond, and they did. He brought the Omega guys in two days before the shoot and put them on the bottom floor, underneath the never ending party. And they were not invited. They were outsiders in a tight knit clique and didn't particularly enjoy themselves. They didn't hate each other, but there was certainly some resentment going on between the two groups during the shoot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7442 on: September 13, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
The star of the movie was Elmer Bernstein. Elmer always wrote his scores to be another character in the film, and this might have been his best example.

I remember when I saw he scored this film (this being much later, not in real time) and having to check the internet to see this was the same person who did The Magnificent 7 and The Great Escape, two rousing adventures. Then I saw he not only did this, but Airplane! and Stripes. It didn't seem right that the same person worked on these films, considering they are in totally different genres. Of course it happens all the time, talented composers write good scores, regardless of the film. It was just a "Whoa!" moment for me.

Fun fact: John Landis brought all of the Delta House members to the shoot a week or two early, and set them all up on the top floor of a hotel so they could party together and bond, and they did. He brought the Omega guys in two days before the shoot and put them on the bottom floor, underneath the never ending party. And they were not invited. They were outsiders in a tight knit clique and didn't particularly enjoy themselves. They didn't hate each other, but there was certainly some resentment going on between the two groups during the shoot.

I remember reading that. One of those small, unnoticed things that a producer will do to that can enhance the final product before principle filming even gets under way.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:40:28 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7443 on: September 13, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
Jaws is an amazing movie.

I think everyone has those classic "how have you never seen that?!" movies that they just never got around to seeing.

New sub-topic: What's the most famous, classic, "how have you never seen that?!" film?

Mine is probably Gone With the Wind. But then I wonder, despite it being a classic and one of the most (albeit controversially, now) highly-regarded films of all time, has "everyone" actually seen this?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7444 on: September 13, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
I’ve never seen Gone With the Wind either. Can’t say it’s a movie that would really interest me, but it’s definitely a legendary movie

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7445 on: September 13, 2020, 02:25:17 PM »
Citizen Kane

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7446 on: September 13, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
The star of the movie was Elmer Bernstein. Elmer always wrote his scores to be another character in the film, and this might have been his best example.

I remember when I saw he scored this film (this being much later, not in real time) and having to check the internet to see this was the same person who did The Magnificent 7 and The Great Escape, two rousing adventures. Then I saw he not only did this, but Airplane! and Stripes. It didn't seem right that the same person worked on these films, considering they are in totally different genres. Of course it happens all the time, talented composers write good scores, regardless of the film. It was just a "Whoa!" moment for me.
Bernstein was the only good thing about Stripes. That was a great theme. He also did The Ten Commandments early in his career, as well as both Cape Fears.  Guy had a real flair for doing comedies. His theme for Airplane! was so over the top melodramatic that it stole the show, I thought, and he added a great deal of character to Trading Places and Ghostbusters. Williams was content to just add the right tone and atmosphere to the films he scored. Bernstein wanted to be a big part of the movies he scored, like an extra character, and he usually did a great job.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7447 on: September 13, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »
Bernstein was the only good thing about Stripes.

And John Larroquette.

His theme for Airplane! was so over the top melodramatic that it stole the show.

Good point. That film was all about being over the top, the score had to go along with this being a (seemingly) tragedy of epic proportions.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7448 on: September 13, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
Mine is probably Gone With the Wind. But then I wonder, despite it being a classic and one of the most (albeit controversially, now) highly-regarded films of all time, has "everyone" actually seen this?

Pretty sure it was on TV and maybe my parents watched it, but I'm quite sure I never sat through it all.

What I am completely at loss about it's E.T. - it was so long ago and scenes from that movie are part of pop culture that I truly and seriously don't remember if I watched it when I was a kid, or I just know the pivotal scenes "everybody" knows.

Actually in later years I made a point to try and catch up with famous old movies - saw the Godfather trilogy, Psycho, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Casablanca, The Last Emperor, Gladiator, Once Upon a Time in America just to name a few.

Browsing through the list of Best Movie winners at the Oscars, other very famous titles I didn't see are:

Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
The Deer Hunter
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7449 on: September 13, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »

Pretty sure it was on TV and maybe my parents watched it, but I'm quite sure I never sat through it all.

What I am completely at loss about it's E.T. - it was so long ago and scenes from that movie are part of pop culture that I truly and seriously don't remember if I watched it when I was a kid, or I just know the pivotal scenes "everybody" knows.

Actually in later years I made a point to try and catch up with famous old movies - saw the Godfather trilogy, Psycho, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Casablanca, The Last Emperor, Gladiator, Once Upon a Time in America just to name a few.

Browsing through the list of Best Movie winners at the Oscars, other very famous titles I didn't see are:

Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
The Deer Hunter

My parents took me to see E.T at drive in when I was three years old. My dad said I fell asleep during the previews lol. Speaking of drive in’s, it’s too bad those aren’t popular anymore, they were pretty cool

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7450 on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »
I know I saw ET in the theater, so I was 6, but I don't remember it, and I have not seen it since.

Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
The Deer Hunter

Oscar winners has less value over time, as they represent one year, and thus are not all created equal. Some NFL/MLB/NBA MVPs are better than others, in terms of statistics and overall value, both for that year and over the course of a career. And they just represent the whims of the Academy [and think how that will be even more devalued as they implement their diversity requirements).

I've never seen the English Patient or Shakespeare in Love, nor do I care to. The Deer Hunter was good, but One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is defintely worth a watch. I'd highly recommend the book to anyone, it is a masterful novel.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7451 on: September 13, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »
Yes One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is excellent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7452 on: September 13, 2020, 05:45:47 PM »
Speaking of *JAWS*

The one good shark film i've seen since that is literally Jason Statham's The MEG.

I was expecting it to be tongue in cheek fun - and that's exactly what it is. It's a really fun film that doesn't take itself seriously but isn't deliberately shit trying to be a cult film like ShartNado.

You don't deliberately make a shit film and proclaim it a cult film. A cult film is one where the film-makers tried their genuine best and the film underperformed - but found

a following later. For example UHF. Hot Rod. Scott Pilgrim etc.

Samuel L Jackson's Deep Blue Sea is a steaming turd. Awful CGI sharks which look like cartoons.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7453 on: September 13, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »
I watched Deep Blue Sea 2 last year and it made the first one look like a masterpiece lol. I just saw this summer part 3 was released. Might have to pass on that

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7454 on: September 14, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
I know I saw ET in the theater, so I was 6, but I don't remember it, and I have not seen it since.

Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
The Deer Hunter

Oscar winners has less value over time, as they represent one year, and thus are not all created equal. Some NFL/MLB/NBA MVPs are better than others, in terms of statistics and overall value, both for that year and over the course of a career. And they just represent the whims of the Academy [and think how that will be even more devalued as they implement their diversity requirements).

I've never seen the English Patient or Shakespeare in Love, nor do I care to. The Deer Hunter was good, but One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is defintely worth a watch. I'd highly recommend the book to anyone, it is a masterful novel.

This is a cynical take, but I don't put much stock in "Oscar Winner".   At least in the last 25 years or so, it seems such a clique-y in-group kind of thing, with "buzz" and "word of mouth" that I think there are as many "statement" (political, social or community) wins as there are legit, "now THAT was a film!" wins.   I have zero desire to see Shakespeare In Love, but Cuckoo's Nest is a must-see film.  I loved that movie (and the book, by the way).