Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559904 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7385 on: August 30, 2020, 08:59:17 PM »
Cabaret - 1972

Been a bit since I've seen it, but it is just so good. The music tends to be what people remember, but the rise of Nazism is portrayed as a very interesting backdrop.

I remember watching a mini-doc on the historical aspects of the film, and what they got right, and what they got wrong. Alas, it was many years ago. That film is worth watching if only for Joel Grey.

He's fantastic, for sure, but I also think people forget about the rest of the movie. Michael York is really fantastic. The whole subplot with Fritz and Natalia is also extremely important.

Definitely, people are going to remember the Emcee, Sally Bowles, and the Nazi imagery. I didn't 'get' the Fritz and Natalia subplot when I first saw it. It took a second viewing and a bit more historical knowledge to appreciate the film as a whole.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7386 on: August 31, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
We finished up our MCU rewatch with Spider-Man: Far From Home.  So good.

Then we introduced our 17-year old to City Slickers.  What a fun film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7387 on: August 31, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »

What did they think? I always worry about introducing people to films like that these days because I worry they'll lose attention or think it's boring. I love those kinds of movies, but they're just not made anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7388 on: August 31, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »

What did they think? I always worry about introducing people to films like that these days because I worry they'll lose attention or think it's boring. I love those kinds of movies, but they're just not made anymore.
They loved it.  Actually looking forward to seeing the sequel!

I have successfully introduced my kids to all kinds of 80s films, particularly The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Spaceballs, The Princess Bride, Real Genius, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Karate Kid, Dead Poets Society, Top Gun, and Big (probably more as well, plus multiple 90s films as well).  One of their favorite films is Tombstone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7389 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »

They loved it.  Actually looking forward to seeing the sequel!

I have successfully introduced my kids to all kinds of 80s films, particularly The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Spaceballs, The Princess Bride, Real Genius, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Karate Kid, Dead Poets Society, Top Gun, and Big (probably more as well, plus multiple 90s films as well).  One of their favorite films is Tombstone.

As it should be.  Top 5 MoAT for me.

Your doing the Lord's work here, Hef.   :hefdaddy

Hopefully you've covered off all of the spoof/parody movies as well.

Going Clear - The scientology documentary

Still just as crazy and scary as it was when I saw it years ago.

I often enjoy (in the scariest possible way) the Leah Remini docu-series on A&E
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7390 on: August 31, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
There’s Something About Mary

Still holds up as a very funny movie and Ben Stiller plays his role to perfection. That zipper scene 😆

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7391 on: September 01, 2020, 11:31:06 AM »
My 19-year-old would watch The Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing, or Back To The Future any time and at the drop of a hat. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7392 on: September 02, 2020, 05:02:32 AM »
Tenet.

That was the biggest mind-fuck ever.  Inception was child's play.  This was confusing as shit.  I get the sense that I'd need to watch it at least 4 or 5 more times to 'get' it.  I comprehend most of the overall main-plot, but the time inversion stuff....

:splodearms:

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7393 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:37 AM »
Tenet.

That was the biggest mind-fuck ever.  Inception was child's play.  This was confusing as shit.  I get the sense that I'd need to watch it at least 4 or 5 more times to 'get' it.  I comprehend most of the overall main-plot, but the time inversion stuff....

:splodearms:

How was the cinema experience, Jingle?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7394 on: September 02, 2020, 06:25:14 AM »
We went to the Drive In.  And other than the battery dying and needing a jump, it was fine.  I hadn't been to a drive in in ages.  The audio was crap... the broadcast isn't in surround sound, and a periodic static in the reception.  Plus, FM radio doesn't handle changes in volume very well.  I had to constantly turn the volume up (for dialogue-only scenes) and down (for the action scenes).

Still, decent enough for $7 each.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7395 on: September 02, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »
Wow, Chad, We had no problems with the sound and it comes in great every time we go. Never had static or volume issues.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7396 on: September 02, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »
But what about the DUNE teaser?!?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7397 on: September 02, 2020, 07:26:21 AM »
But what about the DUNE teaser?!?

That was my pee break.  And "teaser" was never more appropriate according to what jingle.son told me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7398 on: September 02, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
The Last Shark (1981) - I think this image speaks for itself

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7399 on: September 02, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
I’ve never heard of the Last Shark but that scene is making me laugh

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7400 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »
I’ve never heard of the Last Shark but that scene is making me laugh

It's more well known for being sued out of theaters because it's a complete Jaws knock off. Low budget Italian cash grab movies are my guilty pleasure.

Also most of the Shark footage from this movie was reused for Jaws 5. I've made no typo there.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7401 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
I’m just reading up on the Last Shark, sounds like there was lawsuits from the Jaws people. Speaking of Jaws, obviously the first one is a cinematic classic; but I’ve always liked part 3 for the extreme cheese factor

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7402 on: September 02, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
I’m just reading up on the Last Shark, sounds like there was lawsuits from the Jaws people. Speaking of Jaws, obviously the first one is a cinematic classic; but I’ve always liked part 3 for the extreme cheese factor

Did you wear the red/blue 3D glasses in the theatre like I did?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7403 on: September 02, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
I remember when that was such a big deal at the time, but I didn't experience it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7404 on: September 02, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »

Didn’t see it in the theatre but the 3D for Jaws 3 and Friday the 13th 3D tried hard, but those red/blue glasses are no good

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7405 on: September 03, 2020, 07:37:51 AM »

Was the movie in 3D?    ;)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7406 on: September 03, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »
I watched the two most recent Jumanji movies last weekend. Those movies were hilarious.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:02:19 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7407 on: September 03, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
I watch the two most recent Jumanji movies last weekend. Those movies were hilarious.

Funny you say that: I saw by accident the last say, 15 minutes of the newest one and my wife and I decided we're going to watch them both (for her, again; I've not seen either) next time we have a quiet night of TV.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7408 on: September 03, 2020, 09:58:54 AM »
I watch the two most recent Jumanji movies last weekend. Those movies were hilarious.

Funny you say that: I saw by accident the last say, 15 minutes of the newest one and my wife and I decided we're going to watch them both (for her, again; I've not seen either) next time we have a quiet night of TV.

Highly recommend both (the first is better, and the second one has at least a few eye-rolling moments).  Karen Gillan is now at the top of my list of alternate universe wives.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7409 on: September 03, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »

Highly recommend both (the first is better, and the second one has at least a few eye-rolling moments).  Karen Gillan is now at the top of my list of alternate universe wives.

Yup, she's moved into my #2 position behind Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7410 on: September 03, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »
Both new Jumanji movies surprised me by how laugh out loud funny they are. I too prefer the 1st one compared to the 2nd but the 2nd one is no slouch either.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7411 on: September 03, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
Both new Jumanji movies surprised me by how laugh out loud funny they are. I too prefer the 1st one compared to the 2nd but the 2nd one is no slouch either.

Same. I didn't really know what to expect other than "the movie is from an inside the game perspective". I genuinely loved them. I laughed way more than I ever expected to, and I thought the story was surprisingly solid.

I foresee the third one rubbing a lot of people the wrong way because it looks like it's going to be "real world" like the original film.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7412 on: September 03, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »

Same. I didn't really know what to expect other than "the movie is from an inside the game perspective". I genuinely loved them. I laughed way more than I ever expected to, and I thought the story was surprisingly solid.

I foresee the third one rubbing a lot of people the wrong way because it looks like it's going to be "real world" like the original film.

Well...damn...I don't recall seeing the credits scene until just now.  COOL!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7413 on: September 03, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
Basically at this point I'm in for anything Dwayne Johnson puts out. Some of this stuff has no right being any good, but it's always at least mildly enjoyable. Yes, I'm looking at you Baywatch and Rampage.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7414 on: September 03, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »
The Rock now is like 90s Arnie. His films are no longer the best but he's still got tons of charisma so you don't care.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7415 on: September 03, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
Basically at this point I'm in for anything Dwayne Johnson puts out. Some of this stuff has no right being any good, but it's always at least mildly enjoyable. Yes, I'm looking at you Baywatch and Rampage.

Baywatch.  That should have been a modern-day Ishtar, but... it wasn't. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7416 on: September 03, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »

You know, I really have to give that guy credit. He was famous as hell before he started acting (in movies), and he decided that after wrestling he wanted to do screen work. He started at the very bottom as far as roles go and made some really crappy stuff along the way, and now I think of him as a legitimate actor. He's not The Rock who got handed movies roles, but a dude who I feel actually worked his way up. And I kind of like the stuff he does. I really enjoyed him in The Run Down.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7417 on: September 04, 2020, 02:37:43 AM »
I like The Rock too, seems like a genuine guy to.  On saying that 'Skyscraper' was a dud, even his normal charisma couldn't save that one.  Loved 'Rampage' though, dumb but a lot of fun.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7418 on: September 04, 2020, 05:38:27 AM »

You know, I really have to give that guy credit. He was famous as hell before he started acting (in movies), and he decided that after wrestling he wanted to do screen work. He started at the very bottom as far as roles go and made some really crappy stuff along the way, and now I think of him as a legitimate actor. He's not The Rock who got handed movies roles, but a dude who I feel actually worked his way up. And I kind of like the stuff he does. I really enjoyed him in The Run Down.

The Run Down is a personal favorite.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7419 on: September 04, 2020, 06:58:40 AM »
The Exorcist 3 (1990): One of my favorite movies. I watched the theatrical cut this time, even with all the studio interference it's still a solid flick with an amazing performance by Brad Dourif. Both cuts are better than the book though.

Deadbeat at Dawn (1988): A fun, low budget, gang action flick. The stunt work is impressive for such an underground production and the violence can be disturbingly realistic at times and over the top at others.
Do you read Sutter Cane?