Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560242 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7350 on: August 23, 2020, 08:18:05 AM »
Midsommar. Quite original and weird folk horror film. I can see how it can be boring to some people but I found it more interesting than most horror films, which might not be a high bar for me :lol. I think I prefer it over Hereditary.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7351 on: August 23, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »
Midsommar. Quite original and weird folk horror film. I can see how it can be boring to some people but I found it more interesting than most horror films, which might not be a high bar for me :lol. I think I prefer it over Hereditary.

I enjoy this kind of shock humor. Ones that make you think a certain way about things and then it unfolds in a totally unexpected way. It's like Green Inferno in its structure, style, and the buildup to the final shock.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7352 on: August 24, 2020, 01:05:43 AM »
Count me among those who found it boring and 1 hour longer than it could have been. Glad that you enjoyed it more, I was hoping to see the new The Wicker Man, but that movie remains unchallenged in the sub-genre of "pagan horror".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7353 on: August 24, 2020, 06:00:54 AM »
I've not seen it but Deeply unsettling and psychological horror films are way more effective than

the one thousandth "....quiet....quiet....quiet....*BANG!!!!*...quiet...quiet....quiet..." "horror" films from Hollywood.

There's nothing "SCARY" about basically sneaking up behind someone and basically jamming your thumbs in their ribs.

It's basically the same thing. It's extremely cheap and lazy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7354 on: August 24, 2020, 06:16:34 AM »
Yeah, jump scares are lame just like sex scenes with sheets covering a woman's chest. Do something different already or don't even bother FFS.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7355 on: August 24, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
Jexi.   I'm not the hugest Adam DeVine fan but the premise was good, and the scenes with Jexi are sometimes laugh out loud funny.   Michael Pena is very funny ("Sing me out...") as is Wanda Sykes, but some of the scenes with DeVine and Alexandria Shipp were painful and improbably.    I guess I couldn't get past her dumping Justin Hartley for DeVine.   But it was worth it for the Jexi scenes.  They are THAT funny.   I'd watch it again, and I'd recommend it.

(Sidebar, because it's not that kind of movie, so don't think too much, but... I want to know how all these people are ditching their "serious jobs" to "unplug and pursue happiness" but are still living in sweet pads in San Francisco.  Calling bullshit, bitches.)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7356 on: August 24, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »
Yeah, jump scares are lame just like sex scenes with sheets covering a woman's chest. Do something different already or don't even bother FFS.
All of this :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7357 on: August 24, 2020, 01:45:40 PM »
The Witch

Wow, that was cool.  I got off the horror film boat LONG ago, but this one is almost all mood.  Almost.  Fantastic film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7358 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »
Die Hard 2

Not in the same league as the original, but still an excellent movie and sequel!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7359 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
Also Die Hard 3

Not in the same league as parts 1 and 2 but still an excellent movie. The chemistry between Bruce and Samuel is outstanding

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7360 on: August 25, 2020, 04:21:58 AM »
I actually think Die Hard With a Vengeance is better than Die Hard 2.

Die Hard 4.0 is not bad and Die Hard 5 is a colossal turd.

He went from being an ordinary guy in the wrong place at the wrong time - to an indestructible super hero.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7361 on: August 25, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
I actually think Die Hard With a Vengeance is better than Die Hard 2.

Die Hard 4.0 is not bad and Die Hard 5 is a colossal turd.

He went from being an ordinary guy in the wrong place at the wrong time - to an indestructible super hero.

I agree. Parts 4 & 5 lost the charm of the franchise. Avoid lol.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7362 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
I do avoid "lol" :p

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7363 on: August 25, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Die Hard 2

Not in the same league as the original, but still an excellent movie and sequel!
I liked 2 better than most, but it's not a great movie. Plenty of laughable moments, but setting it at an airport was a great idea, and definitely a more entertaining locale than an office building. And seriously, Hollie needs to take the kids and move someplace far away that does not have an airport.

DH3 was much better. It offered up some new ideas, rather than just being a remake like 2. SLJ was a great addition, and setting it all over NYC was a big plus. The biggest problem was the Grueber's kid brother just wasn't all that interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7364 on: August 25, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
The first three Die Hard movies are great, although all have their flaws.  I'd say 2 is the most flawed, and the interplay between Willis and Jackson in 3 elevates it well above 2.

I know I've seen 4, but I don't really remember it.  Not sure I ever saw 5.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7365 on: August 25, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »
Also, last night, I watched a 2007 movie called Next, starring Nicholas Cage and Julianne Moore (and with Jessica Biel in a supporting role).  The basic premise was that Cage's character had the ability to see two minutes into his future.  Moore is an FBI agent who knows about Cage's ability and wants to use him to help her find a nuclear device that has been smuggled into the Los Angeles area.  I'd never heard of this movie before, and it was a box office flop, but it was fairly entertaining.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7366 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
For whatever reason, Julienne Moore keeps popping up.   Boogie Nights was on the other night, as was Suburbicon a few nights before, someone was mentioning "What Maisie Knew" recently, and now this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7367 on: August 25, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »
Die Hard 3 was great. Die Hard 4 was good but a bit silly. Die Hard 5 was just terrible.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7368 on: August 25, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
Die Hard 3 was great. Die Hard 4 was good but a bit silly. Die Hard 5 was just terrible.

Which is funny because part 5 was the first one that was actually written as a Die hard sequel since the 2nd one. The others were converted from pre-existing scripts.

The 3rd one started as a stand alone feature possibly starring Brandon Lee. Then was sold off to Warner Brothers and converted into an unmade lethal weapon sequel, then was sold again to fox and was turned into a die hard movie.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7369 on: August 25, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »

Die Hard 5 was the only movie in the series that felt out of place.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7370 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
I had to look up Die Hard 4/5. I didn't know which was "Live Free or Die Hard." I forgot "A Good Day to Die Hard" existed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7371 on: August 26, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »
I forgot "A Good Day to Die Hard" existed.
#Blessed
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7372 on: August 27, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
Die Hard 5 was terrible.

Take out Bruce Willis - change his name to Ethan Rooker or something action movie generic and its a high budget TV movie.

One of my movie peeves is when people get thrown around like rag dolls and only get a small cut on their forehead.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #7373 on: August 28, 2020, 01:14:43 PM »
Why Don’t You Just Die! (2018): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7672068/reference

Absolutely loved this Russian black comedy! Pretty hilarious and so damn bloody! 8/10

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7374 on: August 29, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
Tenet (2020) and then I got home and watched VENOM (2018)

Tenet was a bit slow to begin with but gradually got going. The story was confusing as hell but the set pieces were great. I need to see it again.

Venom - i'd heard nothing but bad things - but I enjoyed it. I'd put it on par with a lower mid tier Marvel movie like Iron Man 3 or something.

Not awesome but not terrible. Just entertaining enough for 2 hours.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7375 on: August 30, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »
Going Clear - The scientology documentary

Still just as crazy and scary as it was when I saw it years ago.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7376 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Watched it for the first time since seeing it in a cinema last year. I freaking love this movie!

I remember how the entire theater laughed during the Manson disciples scene at the end. :lol I couldn't breathe! :rollin

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7377 on: August 30, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »

Watched it for the first time since seeing it in a cinema last year. I freaking love this movie!

I remember how the entire theater laughed during the Manson disciples scene at the end. :lol I couldn't breathe! :rollin
Yeah, when I watched it at home I thought a lot better of it than I did in the theater. It looked great on the big screen, and the funny bits are even funnier with an audience, but seeing it the first time kind of leaves you bewildered, which I suspect was his point. You didn't know what kind of movie it was going in, and you still didn't know what it was when you left. I reckon that's why QT was so adamant that people avoid spoilers, which I certainly did. Watching at home you know what to expect and you can just take it all in.

And yeah, the final 10 minutes make it so worth while. When he hurled the can of dog food at the girl it damn near killed me laughing so hard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7378 on: August 30, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
He said he was here to do some devil shit... Not verbatim

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7379 on: August 30, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »
Tenet (2020) and then I got home and watched VENOM (2018)

Tenet was a bit slow to begin with but gradually got going. The story was confusing as hell but the set pieces were great. I need to see it again.

Venom - i'd heard nothing but bad things - but I enjoyed it. I'd put it on par with a lower mid tier Marvel movie like Iron Man 3 or something.

Not awesome but not terrible. Just entertaining enough for 2 hours.

Dune teaser for the Tenet movie?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7380 on: August 30, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »

Yeah, when I watched it at home I thought a lot better of it than I did in the theater. It looked great on the big screen, and the funny bits are even funnier with an audience, but seeing it the first time kind of leaves you bewildered, which I suspect was his point. You didn't know what kind of movie it was going in, and you still didn't know what it was when you left. I reckon that's why QT was so adamant that people avoid spoilers, which I certainly did. Watching at home you know what to expect and you can just take it all in.

And yeah, the final 10 minutes make it so worth while. When he hurled the can of dog food at the girl it damn near killed me laughing so hard.

Agreed about the final 10 minutes, it's what really makes the movie and there were so many moments that were just geniunely hilarious I couldn't stop laughing. I sometimes just watch the ending for kicks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7381 on: August 30, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
I love how QT had been setting it up the whole time, and you never realized it.  That Cliff was chill but a total badass if you pissed him off; Brandy the dog, too.  That Dalton had a freakin' flamethrower and had learned how to use it for a role.  When all the shit broke loose at the end... non-stop fun!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7382 on: August 30, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
Cabaret - 1972

Been a bit since I've seen it, but it is just so good. The music tends to be what people remember, but the rise of Nazism is portrayed as a very interesting backdrop.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7383 on: August 30, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »
Cabaret - 1972

Been a bit since I've seen it, but it is just so good. The music tends to be what people remember, but the rise of Nazism is portrayed as a very interesting backdrop.

I remember watching a mini-doc on the historical aspects of the film, and what they got right, and what they got wrong. Alas, it was many years ago. That film is worth watching if only for Joel Grey.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7384 on: August 30, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »
Cabaret - 1972

I remember watching a mini-doc on the historical aspects of the film, and what they got right, and what they got wrong. Alas, it was many years ago. That film is worth watching if only for Joel Grey.

He's fantastic, for sure, but I also think people forget about the rest of the movie. Michael York is really fantastic. The whole subplot with Fritz and Natalia is also extremely important.
fanticide.bandcamp.com