Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559470 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7315 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:01 PM »
Deliverance (1972)

Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. Hardly Oscar material but I liked it. There was a lot more going on than I remembered. There was also quite a bit of ambiguity.

I deleted the rest of your post just to save space, not because it was without merit. I enjoyed reading that, because that accurately summarized what I thought when I watched the film a while back.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7316 on: August 14, 2020, 09:01:19 AM »
Deliverance

I really like this movie, although the times I’d seen it on TV many moons ago, the graphically disturbing parts had been censored/edited out.

It IS an unsettling movie to watch. Not to get all film-study academic, but the story sets up innocently as a Man vs Nature scenario that evolves into a rather cynical Man vs Man/Man vs Himself struggle. It does have some of the feel of a horror movie but the monsters are all too human. For those four actors, it was probably the best performances of their lives.

On a side note, the surly sherriff who appears at the end of the flick is the author of the novel, James Dickey. 

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7317 on: August 14, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
There was certainly a whole lot more to the movie than "squeal like a pig, boy," which is of course what it's famous for.  I gather that scene was so discomforting it's what stuck with people, rather than the much deeper story going on.

On a side note, the surly sherriff who appears at the end of the flick is the author of the novel, James Dickey. 
Far out. Didn't know that. He actually did a very good job. Most of the time non-actors are downright painful to watch. And even when they aren't it's usually still pretty obvious that they're not actors. I got none of that from the sheriff. I didn't think of him as surly, though. Even when he told them they'd better not come back, he explained that it was just wanting the town to die in peace. It wasn't out of any sort of hostility.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7318 on: August 14, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »
Deliverance is an incredible film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7319 on: August 14, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
Going to have to bookmark Barto's post, haven't seen the movie yet. Will comeback to it later.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7320 on: August 14, 2020, 01:52:11 PM »
I need to revisit that.  I'm not sure I ever saw it all the way through.   I did read the book, though, years ago.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7321 on: August 15, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »
Happy Go Lucky. Lured in by the fact that the movie was shot in Camden Town in London, which I love, but didn't really buy the protagonist, a poor man's (woman's ?) Amelie... not all whimsical lalala characters are entertaining, I found her very annoying. At least I saw some nice London sceneries!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7322 on: August 15, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »
Watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy again and managed to follow everything that was going on this time. Great movie, but if you forget a character's name or how they relate to anyone else you're pretty much screwed which really messed me up the first time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7323 on: August 16, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
The FBI movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy; funnier than it should have been.  I enjoyed it.  McCarthy's family - Bill Burr, Michael Tucci, Joey McIntyre, Rob Corddry, Jane Curtain, (I don't remember the names of the girlfriends) - were HILARIOUS.

Suburbicon:  HATED it.  I'm a lukewarm Matt Damon fan, and he was good, but I'm not a Julianne Moore fan, and her playing twins didn't help much.   VERY interesting premise, but so heavy handed I felt like I was being slapped in the face every time the "new family" came on screen. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7324 on: August 16, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
I re-watched 2012 last night.

It was the second time i'd ever seen it. I didn't hate it as much as the first time as I just wanted to watch something stupid for the fun of it

and I actually like those types of films just for the spectacle.

I'm a big fan of seeing enormous amounts of water where it's not supposed to be.

So seeing mountains get flooded and aircraft carriers taking out cities scratches that itch. That was a cool shot though.

Danny Glover is standing outside the white  house and you just see this Aircraft Carrier coming towards him.

Apart from that it's ridiculous and yeah - too long. But I suspect Roland Emmerich knows that it's pure cheese.

He has never bettered Independence Day imo.

I.D. 2 started out pretty great but threw it away in the 3rd act.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7325 on: August 16, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
The FBI movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy; funnier than it should have been.  I enjoyed it.  McCarthy's family - Bill Burr, Michael Tucci, Joey McIntyre, Rob Corddry, Jane Curtain, (I don't remember the names of the girlfriends) - were HILARIOUS.

I like Bullock. I hate McCarthy. She's just one of those overweight 'comics' who does " i'm fat and I fall down and eat everything " thing in every film.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7326 on: August 16, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »

I like Bullock. I hate McCarthy. She's just one of those overweight 'comics' who does " i'm fat and I fall down and eat everything " thing in every film.

She can actually be pretty funny when she plays an actual person. Unfortunately she tends to go for the live action cartoon character roles which is a shame.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7327 on: August 16, 2020, 10:17:46 PM »
She was awesome in St Vincent

Totally underrated movie
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7328 on: August 17, 2020, 01:46:36 AM »
The Lady in the Van, lured in once again by the setting of Camden Town and "it has Maggie Smith, it can't suck".

While I'd never watch it again, I enjoyed it - it's the story of a real woman in the '70s that was homeless and living in a van, and struck an unlikely friendship with a writer who allowed her to park her van, and de facto live there, in his driveway. So if you like London sceneries and seeing what professor McGonagall did after Hogwarts, the movie is for you.

Fun crossover trivia with The Crown, another super english series: now Edward VIII is the protagonist and a writer, while the Queen (the young one, Claire Foy) is just a social worker  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7329 on: August 17, 2020, 03:37:31 AM »
Since Lockdown in the UK began on March 24 - I've been trying to watch one film every night.

Maybe I should have kept a film diary !

recently rewatched Beetlejuice and Michael Keaton steals every film he's in.

Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks are definitely in the " please don't turn out to be a secret scumbag " category.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7330 on: August 17, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »

She can actually be pretty funny when she plays an actual person. Unfortunately she tends to go for the live action cartoon character roles which is a shame.

I think you have this right.   True, some of her gags are the same (I've seen the "slow motion chase because I'm fat" three times now, including in this film), but she's a step above.  She's kind of like "Mr. Mister" or "Night Ranger".   Pop fluff, radio friendly but played by someone that can really jam if they put their minds to it.   If that makes any sense. 

Now, while I do sort of like Sandra Bullock, what I don't like is serious actors that think they're funny because they're surrounded by comedians.    She was way better in the beginning playing the serious role; as the (wispy, slim, almost non-existant) character arc required her to see the wisdom of "lightening up" she got a little hard to swallow. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7331 on: August 17, 2020, 10:03:37 AM »
So...my wife decided that she wanted to watch Jurassic Park, and then she decided that we would watch another movie with an actor/actress common to the two movies, and then continue with that.  So far, we've done Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Men in Black and The Fugitive.  I think Air Force One will be next.  And yes, these are all movies we've seen many times because she typically falls asleep while we watch.

Instead of going from The Fugitive to AF1, we watched Star Wars (ANH) and then went to When Harry Met Sally.

Harry/Sally gave me wicked flashbacks to when I saw it in the theater.  It was before I met my wife, and I saw it with a girl whom I liked more than she liked me.  I probably had not watched it in 20-25 years. but it held up pretty well, and Meg Ryan was super hot (except for the end when she did a really tight perm with her hair).  The one thing that amused me was that I have a really hard time believing that, in the late 80s, people were having the sorts of existential conversations that EVERYONE in that movie seemed to have.  I attribute this tp late-40s/50s people writing for late 20s/30s people.  The same thing happened often on Friends.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7332 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
Onibaba (1964) - A Japanese classic that I've been wanting to see for a while. Overall I enjoyed it and I can understand why its so well regarded but I was expecting more horror elements than there were.

The Big Boss (1971) - Bruce Lee's first big movie. A fun movie even if it's not the most well put together.

Fast & Furious (2009) - This really feels like a transition film between the old movies and the over the top heist movies that will follow. Lots of dumb fun.

Fist of Fury (1972) - A much more well assembled movie than The Big Boss and some pretty solid acting by Lee. The action scenes are also better edited here.

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) - A Lucio Fulci giallo fever dream. A solid giallo that doesn't get too weird where the ending doesn't make sense. I love the style films in this genre have.

Ley Lines (1999) - A mostly serious film by Takashi Miike with jarring moments of his trademark weird humor inserted in. A good movie but it's my least favorite in the "Black Society Trilogy"

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 1 (2012) - From someone who isn't the biggest fan of the comic this movie I thought this was fantastic. Love Peter Weller as the voice of batman.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7333 on: August 17, 2020, 05:48:45 PM »
I just watched Dumb And Dumber To (2014)

And I didn't think it would be any good but I laughed consistently.

Was way funnier than i was expecting and had the same Farrelly Brothers charm to it.  :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7334 on: August 18, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »
A Face in the Crowd (1957)

Andy Griffith as a degenerate psychopath. How could you possibly go wrong? He turned in such an over-the-top performance you really couldn't see him as Sheriff Taylor or Matlock. Helluva job on his part. As for the movie, it was remarkably prescient. Here's a true scumbag, who's able to use sheer, unadulterated personality and bullshit to win over nearly the entire country. From there he parlays his immense popularity on television into a role as kingmaker. For a movie made during the Eisenhower administration it absolutely nailed what celebrity would eventually become, and how that celebrity would interact with politics. In this case he had no political aspirations himself, and their personalities are polar opposites, but you could really see a whole lot of Trump in him. Both in the way that he viewed confidence and bluster as the key to popularity, and popularity as the key to power. In the end, an unshakable belief that you're great is all that really matters, whether it's warranted or not.

It's also got the smoking hot Lee Remick as a cheer leading tart. That's good for a solid 4/5 stars just by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lrmxkF-UKM
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7335 on: August 19, 2020, 08:10:18 AM »
That sounds like an interesting film.  And two thumbs up on the casting tip. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7336 on: August 19, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
Sasha Baron Cohen’s The Brothers Grimsby.

Easily the worst film I’ve ever watched.

Absolutely shockingly bad.

Incredibly lazy writing and gross out humour for the sake of it.

Awful. 0/10 🙈🙈

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7337 on: August 19, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
Munich (2005)

I really want to like the movie more than I did. For the most part it was very good, and exactly what I want in a movie. It's a spy movie that doesn't rely on action sequences to keep you entertained. From a cinematic standpoint it was beautiful. Explosions were artistic. Conversations were engaging and thoughtful. Action sequences had just the right amount of chaos to impart a sense of confusion, but you always knew who was doing what and why. That's a lost art nowadays. When two groups of terrorists are mistakenly doubled booked in a Greek safehouse it's funny, right out of Monty Python, and when they wind up having a meaningful conversation about the future it's captivating. Spielberg's the man.

I just thought it tried to be a little too much, and was disjointed as a result. As good as Eric Bana was, and he was excellent, the movie spent too much time inside Avner's confused mind. Random flashbacks to the massacre that didn't seem to have any real connection to him. Endless questions about whether or not his informants are betraying him. Who's trying to kill him and who's not. Was it a bomb or an accident. I appreciated their thoughtfulness about the morality of what they were doing. That was a great thing to focus on. It just didn't need all of the added doubt and mistrust to fuck his mind up. A mindfuck which culminates in a scene of him grudge-fucking his wife interspersed with flashbacks of the final chapter of the Munich Massacre, which really made no sense at all. Wonderfully filmed; very Coppola like, right down to the music. Didn't make a damn bit of sense, though, and presumably related to an aspect of the film that really didn't need to exist at all.  I've got nothing against a good psychological thriller, but this was excellent simply being a political thriller. Trying to be both was a mistake.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7338 on: August 19, 2020, 11:38:49 PM »
I had a hard time connecting with this film too when I saw it. At the time I knew little of the events surrounding Munich and the aftermath, so that didn't help. I barely remember anything from it so it didn't leave much of an impression either.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #7339 on: August 20, 2020, 07:44:25 AM »
Searching (2018)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668870/

Saw it on Netflix. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised.
Very unique and well put together.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7340 on: August 20, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »
Knives Out. Enjoyed it v much.  Great performances all round, and very well put together. Felt a bit like a play on film but that didn't hurt it at all.

Daniel Craig's accent was ok but it was hard to forget about as i know him so well as Bond.

Liked it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7341 on: August 20, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
I know a bunch of people ragged on Craig's accent, but I figure you either buy it or you don't, and I bought it.  Was it a Southern accent?  Yeah.  Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana?  Hell, I don't know, and I really don't care.  That's how he talks.  Where I live (Chicago suburbs), I run into people from all different countries, and all over this country, and I stopped worrying about people's accents bothering me a long time ago.  Daniel Craig created the character of Benoit Blanc on film, and this is his accent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7342 on: August 20, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
I was born in England. Lived in Dubai. Lived in South and Mid Wales and in two different counties in England for many years too.

Most people can't tell where I'm from. So I can forgive accents in films that sound like they're from a few places.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7343 on: August 20, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
That's what I mean.  I saw comments like "Is that supposed to be a Cajun accent?  If it is, that's the worst Cajun accent I've ever heard!" and "What kind of Southern accent is that?  Why in the hell is Daniel Craig playing a guy with a Southern accent?"

That's all crap.  If it bothers people that much, they can watch something else.  I just hear Benoit Blanc, and this is how he talks.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7344 on: August 20, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »
Knives out was awesome and so much fun. Loved all the intricacies in the story and how it wove around everywhere. I'm glad they're making a sequel and only Daniel Craig will be returning from what I heard.

Regarding his accent, it was hilarious and I think meant to be an exaggeration of the south IIRC. If you haven't you guys should see him in Logan Lucky, he's equally hilarious in that though his role is much smaller.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7345 on: August 20, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »
I loved Jason Isaacs' Southern Accent in Star trek Discovery.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7346 on: August 21, 2020, 01:12:13 AM »
Not being a native english or american speaker I'm glad that these accents discussion are always completely alien to me, since I can't really tell the difference.

I mean, if someone speaks with a VERY marked english accent I can recognize it, and I can notice in, say, a movie like Fargo, a different way of speaking. But all the subtle nuances are lost to me, and so unless some actor does a VERY BAD job, I totally don't notice an american pretending to be english or the other way around.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #7347 on: August 21, 2020, 01:22:52 AM »
It was in no way detrimental to my viewing pleasure. I'd happily watch a sequel.

I loved Jason Isaacs' Southern Accent in Star trek Discovery.

I really enjoyed him as Lorca.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7348 on: August 21, 2020, 07:02:42 AM »
He was awesome as Lorca.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7349 on: August 23, 2020, 02:28:01 AM »
Western Stars.

Bruce Springsteen's last album (an acoustic one with folk / country vibes) performed live in its entirety in a barn, while Bruce introduces each song talking about the themes of the songs in the Joshua Tree National Park.

Those sceneries were absolutely beautiful and evocative. It's a minimalist movie I'd say, Bruce talks calmly and wisely about each song and then we see the performances in the barn for a selected crowd of friends. I heard the entire album just once before this, but the atmosphere of the movie made me love it, and I think / assume the arrangements of the live performance make the songs even better and fuller.

This is for Bruce the equivalent of Sigur Ros' Heima - the landscape enhancing the performance of the music in a cool and unusual scenery.