Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559488 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7245 on: July 20, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »
She was hilarious in Crazy Rich Asians and then played a very serious role in a drama movie The Farewell. I'd say she's doing fina.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7246 on: July 20, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
She's also in the latest Jumanji movie, and she wasn't bad, although she wasn't really given a lot to do, either.

I never said she wasn't a good actress.  That name, though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7247 on: July 20, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7248 on: July 21, 2020, 07:50:10 AM »
So watched ET last night.  I've always said "I've seen that", when asked, but there was so much that I didn't remember there's no way I actually DID watch it.   In any event it was a typical Spielberg movie.  All his tropes and signatures are in there (kids as an untapped spiritual power, moms as ineffectual, ditzy nobodies, divorce as a savage homewrecking beast, the government as, well, the government, cluttered sets, bright lights and smoke as "special effects"...).   

My daughter cried through the last 10, 15 minutes, but I have to say.... it was a cute movie, but I don't get how that is considered one of the greatest movies of all time (it's the first known film to earn a grade of A+ on CinemaScore, and has been nominated to several "greatest movie" lists)  I do have interest in the various interpretations - childhood fantasy (it's been called Speilberg's "spiritual autobiography"), religious parable, social commentary - but I feel I'm missing something in terms of the film itself.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7249 on: July 21, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
I've been intending to revisit ET. I haven't seen that movie in at least 22 or 23 years now, at least.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7250 on: July 21, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
I haven't seen it since it was in theaters. Thirty eight years, apparently. I don't recall liking it at the time, but I was probably looking for something different back then (T&A, slashings, shootouts, etc.). I'd almost certainly think differently of it now. I tend to bed a sucker for Spielberg adventure movies, and I always like seeing kids get the best of the big bad government, so there's a pretty good chance I'd dig it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7251 on: July 21, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
I'm actually unsure whether I have really seen it as a kid on TV, or never watched it.

It's been so long and the movie is so famous and iconic, that I can't seriously remember if the scenes I have in my memory about the movie were fro my actual viewing, or it's just clips here and there seen elsewhere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7252 on: July 21, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
I haven't seen it since it was in theaters. Thirty eight years, apparently. I don't recall liking it at the time, but I was probably looking for something different back then (T&A, slashings, shootouts, etc.). I'd almost certainly think differently of it now. I tend to bed a sucker for Spielberg adventure movies, and I always like seeing kids get the best of the big bad government, so there's a pretty good chance I'd dig it.

Might as well add WarGames to your watch party then. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7253 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
I made the mistake of wondering who the Asian girl was, so I looked it up.  Are you kidding?  Her name is Awkwafina?

I mean, are you kidding?

She was in the most recent Jumanji movie.  It's about the dumbest name ever.  What's even better is reading or listening to quotes from her cast-mates about how great it was to work with her:  "Working with Awkafina was really refreshing!"

I believe that's her stage name.

Well...duh.

she'll really need to get rid of that stage name and go back to her legal name if she wants that bright future.

Agree.  Nothing wrong with Nora Lum.

So watched ET last night.  I've always said "I've seen that", when asked, but there was so much that I didn't remember there's no way I actually DID watch it.

I didn't see it when it was in the theaters and probably didn't see it until sometime in the 90s.  I've seen it maybe twice.  I was too old for it and didn't have kids yet, so I thought it was fine but nothing special.

Might as well add WarGames to your watch party then. 

Now THAT is an awesome movie!  I even liked CS&N song of the same name from the soundtrack.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7254 on: July 21, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
Rampage

Silly fun monster movie with Dwayne Johnson as The Rock.  Yes, that's redundant and sarcastic, but let's face it: he basically just plays himself in every movie.

A couple of unexpected twists and turns, and a whole lot of expected things, because apparently this movie was based on a video game from 1986.  I had no idea.  And it's a monster movie; there are certain things that must happen in movies like this.  But my son heard that the movie was fun, and he picked it because it's his birthday, so we ordered food and let him pick the movie we watched last night.

Anyway, pretty entertaining, great dialogue with lots of funny quips, and pretty great special effects.

Four genetically modified creatures out of five.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7255 on: July 21, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »
Rampage

Silly fun monster movie with Dwayne Johnson as The Rock.  Yes, that's redundant and sarcastic, but let's face it: he basically just plays himself in every movie.

A couple of unexpected twists and turns, and a whole lot of expected things, because apparently this movie was based on a video game from 1986.  I had no idea.  And it's a monster movie; there are certain things that must happen in movies like this.  But my son heard that the movie was fun, and he picked it because it's his birthday, so we ordered food and let him pick the movie we watched last night.

Anyway, pretty entertaining, great dialogue with lots of funny quips, and pretty great special effects.

Four genetically modified creatures out of five.

That includes Dwayne Johnson, right?

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7256 on: July 21, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
Quite possibly!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7257 on: July 21, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »
WarGames was one of my favorite movies growing up. I haven't seen it in many years, and while I am sure it totally reeks of all things 80s, I bet it holds up better than many movies from that era.

I think I saw ET in the theater, which would have been when I was 6, so I cannot specifically recall that happening. I know I have not seen it since.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7258 on: July 22, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »
Well I got that free puppet master box set so umm here we go.

Puppet Master: Fun movie, thought it's a bit light on the Puppet action.

Puppet Master II: A lot more screen time for the puppets here and the introduction of Torch. Also really fun

Puppet Master III: The best one in the series. The story and puppet effects are great and it has what I think is the best cast in the series. Guy Rolfe as Toulon especially.

Puppet Master IV: Not as good as part 3 but still really fun and it has what I think is the best puppet work in the series.

Puppet Master V: Parts 4 & 5 were written as one movie but split up into 2 and it's really clear that part 5 got most of the filler to stretch it out. This movie has more people walking around hallways than any movie should have. Still entertaining enough and it's the last one to have the Special effects done by the late, great David Allen and his team.

Curse of the Puppet Master: The first movie made after Full Moon split from Paramount and became fully independent. You can tell immediately that the budget has been slashed considerably. With the movie only being shot in 8 days most of the puppet work has either been simplified or they just insert stock footage from other movies. I liked it slightly more than the first time I watched it but still not good.

Retro Puppet Master: The most notable thing about this movie is that Greg Sestaro being in it got Tommy Wiseau jealous enough to start work on what would become The Room. The sets are a step up and the original puppet work is ok for the most part even though you can see the strings a lot. Though the other effects are really lame and the final battle is laughable. Not the worst in the series but totally near the bottom in the ranking.

Puppet Master The Legacy: Now this cheap ass cash grab is the worst one in the series. This "movie" only contains about 20 minutes of original footage. The rest is stock footage from the other movies. This one tries to tie together the loose continuity from the other movies but fails and actually makes it more confusing. Also the ending really makes no sense and is never followed up on. The only entry that I cannot recommend in any way shape or form.

Puppet Master Axis of Evil: Now the story has gone back to WWII and takes place directly after the first movie. At this point of the series they've just said the hell with it and have gone full cheese. The over the top patriotic dialog while intentionally bad is a bit too much and is distracting. The puppet work while still not great is the best in years and overall its an ok entry in the series.

Puppet Master Axis Rising: The most fun of the axis trilogy. Though it's really distracting that every single returning character was recasted for this one.

Puppet Master Axis Termination: Fun movie with decent puppet action but they aren't showcased very often and it focuses mainly on the human story which was only ok. Oh and if you're expecting some kind of proper ending there isn't one.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7259 on: July 22, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
Spirited Away, a Japanese animated movie dubbed over with American actors like Michael Chiklis, Suzanne Pleschette, Lauren Holly, John Ratzenberger (the American version was produced by John Lasseter of Pixar fame, though it's not a kids movie.).   Blown away.  SO good.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7260 on: July 22, 2020, 07:34:43 AM »
Spirited Away, a Japanese animated movie dubbed over with American actors like Michael Chiklis, Suzanne Pleschette, Lauren Holly, John Ratzenberger (the American version was produced by John Lasseter of Pixar fame, though it's not a kids movie.).   Blown away.  SO good.

Those Ghibli Studios movie are so awesome! Check Howl's Roaming Castle or My Friend Totoro as well!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7261 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:43 AM »
THat's what my daughter said; she's more familiar with it than I am, but I'm game.  It was a great movie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7262 on: July 22, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »
WarGames was one of my favorite movies growing up. I haven't seen it in many years, and while I am sure it totally reeks of all things 80s, I bet it holds up better than many movies from that era.

One of my favorites as well.  I'd love to see an "everything wrong with" video for it.  I also just saw that, in 2008, someone made a direct-to-video sequel called War Games: The Dead Code.  Gonna have to try and find that one.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7263 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
'Extraction' on NETFLIX. Holy cow what a shoot em' and blow em' up movie  :lol  It was a fun watch....clearly it was just based around action and gun fights but it was done well in that regard. And of course they leave the ending pretty ambiguous to make sure that a sequel is possible if they decide to do so.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #7264 on: July 22, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »
I watched the exact same movie last night and have the same reaction! I truly enjoyed it for all the action and gun fights and stunt choreography. The sequel has already been commissioned as it is one of Netflix's most viewed movie. The movie story is about as predictable as they come but what truly sets it apart is the fight choreography, highly entertaining even if a bit on the violent side.

It's apparently based on a graphic novel and written by one of the Avengers Director Joe Russo. The stuntman for Cap and other MCU movies directed this movie which is his first.

Loved the 12 min "one take" scene, that was insane and several of the fights were so well done you couldn't look away.

Also shout out to the 2nd character "Saju" I thought he was great and held his own compared to Hemsworth.

I'm loving what John Wick has done to the action genre, introduced some really fun action movies with simple to contrived stories but packed with visceral and engaging action. Atomic Blonde was similar and I read that Old Guard is along those lines which I am meaning to check out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7265 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
I watched the exact same movie last night and have the same reaction! I truly enjoyed it for all the action and gun fights and stunt choreography. The sequel has already been commissioned as it is one of Netflix's most viewed movie. The movie story is about as predictable as they come but what truly sets it apart is the fight choreography, highly entertaining even if a bit on the violent side.

It's apparently based on a graphic novel and written by one of the Avengers Director Joe Russo. The stuntman for Cap and other MCU movies directed this movie which is his first.

Loved the 12 min "one take" scene, that was insane and several of the fights were so well done you couldn't look away.

Also shout out to the 2nd character "Saju" I thought he was great and held his own compared to Hemsworth.

I'm loving what John Wick has done to the action genre, introduced some really fun action movies with simple to contrived stories but packed with visceral and engaging action. Atomic Blonde was similar and I read that Old Guard is along those lines which I am meaning to check out.

Yeah.......I dug the fight scene choreography as well and agree that 'John Wick' really upped the ante for action movies when it comes to fight scenes or gun battles. (funny how Keanu has been involved in two movies that upped the ante for others....the Matrix being the other)  Totally agree the story was about as predictable as my 12 year old's reaction to being grounded.....but it was still a really fun one to watch. I'm not surprised about the announcement of a sequel either.

My son and I were up in the air about which one to watch....Extraction or Old Guard so we will watch Old Guard next. I'm expecting about the same experience which is perfectly fine.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7266 on: July 22, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

Those Ghibli Studios movie are so awesome! Check Howl's Roaming Castle or My Friend Totoro as well!
Speaking of Ghibli, a few nights ago I watched Grave of the Fireflies. Damn it was fucking depressing :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7267 on: July 22, 2020, 05:25:31 PM »
I just watched GHOST (1990) again and it's still a fun film.  :laugh:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7268 on: July 22, 2020, 06:45:36 PM »

Speaking of Ghibli, a few nights ago I watched Grave of the Fireflies. Damn it was fucking depressing :lol

That's very much a "what a powerful and fantastic film, I am never watching it again" kinda movie.

Can't really go wrong with Studio Ghibli though. Spirited Away is a serious contender for greatest animated film of all time status. Another worth checking out would be Kiki's Delivery Service. A lot more laid back but extremely comfy and a damn pleasure.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7269 on: July 22, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
One Cut Of The Dead (2017) If you don't mind subtitles I highly recommend this one......though you gotta push through the first 37 minutes it makes more sense later and it's best to go in blind
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7270 on: July 23, 2020, 06:13:07 AM »
I watched that new Netflix movie "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga".

Absolutely loved it. Killer soundtrack too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7271 on: July 24, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »
I watched that new Netflix movie "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga".

Absolutely loved it. Killer soundtrack too.

Really ? i thought it was predictable, clearly [badly] improvised, typical Will Ferrell, overly manipulative and schmaltzy ending. RUBBISH.

The only time I laughed was any time Pierce Brosnan was speaking. I was in tears.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7272 on: July 24, 2020, 07:35:47 PM »
I watched and posted about Extraction when it dropped a month or so ago. Glad others are seeing it the same way.  I’ve got Old Guard saved to watch soon.  Love me some Charlize Theron in action movies.  Looks like this one is gonna give me an Underworld vibe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7273 on: July 24, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Oh, and I finally watched Safe House last Night. Love Denzel... I’ll watch anything with him... tho I’m pissed that Equalizer 2 is not on either Netflix of Prime.  >:(  Anyway, Safe House also was entirely predictable. I picked the baddie right from the moment we knew it was an inside job.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #7274 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
I remember watching and liking Safe House, was a fun watch. Ryan Reynolds always looks like he's having fun with any role. I've taken a break from the old classic movies because I can't find my damn Bridge on the River Kwai bluray. Instead I'm resuming watching the show Hannibal, had stopped at season 1 and now half way through season 2. Still can't believe this show was on NBC. Such amazing cinematography, set decoration and of course the acting by Mads Mikkelson is just phenomenal.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7275 on: July 25, 2020, 08:14:47 AM »
I rewatched Kelly's Heroes again the other day.  The movie still cracks me up.  Clint Eastwood as "former Lieutenant Kelly", Donald Sutherland, Don Rickles, Telly Savalas, a bunch of others.  Great cast.

I think my favorite scene has to be Carroll O'Connor as the General sitting out on his patio listening to the radio chatter like it's a ball game.  He can hear them talking about taking fire, losing ground, trying to make the next target, there's gunfire and explosions in the background and he's yelling "Yeah!  Go, go, go!" and totally getting into it.  One of his subordinates tries to get his attention for something, and he even says "Don't bother me now.  The game's on!"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7276 on: July 25, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
I didn't enjoy that movie because I wasn't sold on it properly by the person who recommended it to me. We were talking about classic war movies and I think I mentioned how I love The Great Escape and she said something along the lines of "if you love that movie you should check out Kelly's Heroes!" So I didn't have the right mindset going in.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7277 on: July 25, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
Well, there's a war going on as part of the setting, and there's a mission, but other than that, it's pretty much an anti-war movie, and certainly not in the tradition of the classic war movies like The Great Escape.  Your friend done you wrong.  It's more like satire.  But you know that by now.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7278 on: July 27, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
"It's A Beautiful Day", the Tom Hanks movie about Mr. Rogers.  Way better than I thought it would be.  I kind of loved the conceit, telling Fred's story through Vogel's story, which was presented almost as if it was an episode of Fred's show.   

Interesting tidbit:   Fred and Tom are sixth cousins!   I think Hanks really nailed the quirk and unusualness of Rogers without making him a joke or a freak. Especially in the scene where Fred and Vogel are in Fred's NY apartment and Fred pulls out the puppets and tries to talk to Lloyd about his own imaginary friend through the puppet and Vogel doesn't bite, and in fact turns the conversation back to Fred.  It was a magical scene, and I thought Hanks made the whole movie worthwhile in that moment.   

(And I can't help but add:  Susan Kelechi Watson is absolutely gorgeous (she's also in "This Is Us").)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7279 on: July 27, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
I liked that movie, but felt like Tom Hanks swung back and forth between being a good Mr. Rogers and just being Tom Hanks dressed like Mr. Rogers depending on the scene.