Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554298 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7210 on: July 12, 2020, 06:35:15 PM »
North by Northwest is a treat. Enjoy!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7211 on: July 12, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »
Indeed. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7212 on: July 12, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
Watched In Bruges again. My second favorite movie of all time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7213 on: July 12, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »

Watched Titanic again last night.   

Again?? WTF??

I can't believe people have actually watched it once.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7214 on: July 13, 2020, 03:25:42 AM »
I wouldn't expect anything less from an online forum...

Maybe people, *GASP* enjoyed it ?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7215 on: July 13, 2020, 07:15:27 AM »

It was indeed! What a movie, as with me I am always drawn first to the technical merits of a movie. And this movie has some absolutely gorgeous cinematography. Always knew about the crop-dusting scene and had seen clips of it but it was great to finally watch the whole thing in context. I kept thinking this felt like a very early James Bond type of movie and can see that I'm not the only one.
Cary Grant acting incredulous apparently was also due to the fact that he couldn't make heads or tails of the script and kept telling Hitchcock that, which fit the role he was playing.

Have to give a shoutout to the Blu-ray restoration, that thing looks pristine and as sharp as can be along with great colors.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7216 on: July 13, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »

Watched Titanic again last night.   

Again?? WTF??

I can't believe people have actually watched it once.

It's my daughter's favorite movie, so there's that, and I like the ocean/boat scenes.   The one's with Kate Winslet in them.   :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7217 on: July 13, 2020, 08:29:16 AM »

It was indeed! What a movie, as with me I am always drawn first to the technical merits of a movie. And this movie has some absolutely gorgeous cinematography. Always knew about the crop-dusting scene and had seen clips of it but it was great to finally watch the whole thing in context. I kept thinking this felt like a very early James Bond type of movie and can see that I'm not the only one.
Cary Grant acting incredulous apparently was also due to the fact that he couldn't make heads or tails of the script and kept telling Hitchcock that, which fit the role he was playing.

Have to give a shoutout to the Blu-ray restoration, that thing looks pristine and as sharp as can be along with great colors.
It cracked me up when he came to drunk off his ass and rolling towards a cliff, and realized "oh, I can handle this, no problem" and commenced to driving home like nothing was wrong. Also that the agency was content to disavow the whole thing. "Save him, why would we do that?" In the end it was Grant that really made it all work. His befuddlement was the important part.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7218 on: July 13, 2020, 09:33:46 AM »
I've seen a couple of things with Cary Grant, and I think he's great.  Great timing for comedic stuff, and enough chops for drama as well.  My wife watches a lot of older movies, and I end up watching some with her.  Without action scenes, special effects, and symphonic music playing all the time, everything hangs on the acting performances, and Cary Grant is always solid.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7219 on: July 13, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
I wilm not be the only one to say, "SAAAYY WHHAAATT?"

No, you won't.  Damn, son... that's a Top 10 MOAT in my books.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7220 on: July 13, 2020, 10:18:55 AM »

It cracked me up when he came to drunk off his ass and rolling towards a cliff, and realized "oh, I can handle this, no problem" and commenced to driving home like nothing was wrong. Also that the agency was content to disavow the whole thing. "Save him, why would we do that?" In the end it was Grant that really made it all work. His befuddlement was the important part.

Spot on, it's his acting that made that whole sequence work which was by far one of my favorite parts of the movie. The whole discussion in the CIA was great as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7221 on: July 13, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
I've seen a couple of things with Cary Grant, and I think he's great.  Great timing for comedic stuff, and enough chops for drama as well.  My wife watches a lot of older movies, and I end up watching some with her.  Without action scenes, special effects, and symphonic music playing all the time, everything hangs on the acting performances, and Cary Grant is always solid.

This is very true of older movies, the acting is what truly makes those movies a classic and almost always carry the weight of the movie. The "acting" also was a very different type of theater derived acting compared to the hyper realistic portrayal these days. It's nice to sometimes just pause and watch those older movies knowing they are "acting". I think I enjoy the movies more that way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7222 on: July 13, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »

This is very true of older movies, the acting is what truly makes those movies a classic and almost always carry the weight of the movie. The "acting" also was a very different type of theater derived acting compared to the hyper realistic portrayal these days. It's nice to sometimes just pause and watch those older movies knowing they are "acting". I think I enjoy the movies more that way.

Sometimes acting in older movies seems so... I don't know how to describe it. Phony? Contrived? I would never apply that to Cary Grant however. Someone once said in every role he was in, he was essentially Cary Grant. In a way that may be true. But that is completely doing a disservice to the man and his talents. He really could play just about any type of role. He wouldn't be cast as the action hero lead in a Michael Bay film, but I'd consider that a compliment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7223 on: July 14, 2020, 07:59:35 AM »
I harass my wife about that Chris.  There are a few modern shows that my wife watches that has that "Uppity" conversations and it makes me want to throw up.  No mother/daughter conversations sound like this. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7224 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
All The Way (2016)

This was an HBO movie based on the Presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson.  Bryan Cranston starred as LBJ, with Anthony Mackie starring as Martin Luther King Jr.  It was nominated for a slew of awards, and for good cause.  Really great character study, and a look at the complex forces in play at this time in history. 

Two thumbs up, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7225 on: July 14, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
I harass my wife about that Chris.  There are a few modern shows that my wife watches that has that "Uppity" conversations and it makes me want to throw up.  No mother/daughter conversations sound like this.

My wife and I were watching Zooey's Magical Playlist, or whatever it's called (I watched it because of Peter Gallagher, who... well, spoiler alert, I may not be watching much longer) and I remarked to my wife that listening to these millennials snark and quip themselves into oblivion is utterly exhausting.  I couldn't possibly maintain that sharp an edge verbally for an entire work day THEN keep it up throughout the evening too. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7226 on: July 14, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »

My wife and I were watching Zooey's Magical Playlist, or whatever it's called (I watched it because of Peter Gallagher, who... well, spoiler alert, I may not be watching much longer) and I remarked to my wife that listening to these millennials snark and quip themselves into oblivion is utterly exhausting.  I couldn't possibly maintain that sharp an edge verbally for an entire work day THEN keep it up throughout the evening too.

The Gilmore Girls is one and Good Witch.  The dialog is not believable. Mt wife giggles when I talk like they do on these shows to her.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7227 on: July 14, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »

The Gilmore Girls is one and Good Witch.  The dialog is not believable. Mt wife giggles when I talk like they do on these shows to her.

It's Lauren Graham's fault!   (She's in Zooey, too.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7228 on: July 14, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
I'll tell my wife that.  LOL

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7229 on: July 14, 2020, 01:57:20 PM »
I don't know if one watches Gilmore Girls and then thinks it's a realistic portrayal of a mother and daughter conversation. I don't know about other shows but for GG it's more of a depiction/projection of the show creator. She's the person who talks like that and incorporated it into the show and scripts. She does the same for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Also this MadTV parody of GG is on point. Can't find a better quality version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRBG-rM9M0

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7230 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:32 PM »
I would say the opposite Faizoff.

That wra in the late 50's, early 60's in NY as a rich, educated socialite, I'd expect them to talk in that demeanor.   They actually show the title character fighting that with potty comedy at that time.  Nevermind,  staying single and putting her career 1st says a lot.

These 2020, suburbs talking like that makes no sense at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7231 on: July 14, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »

I do not know any of these shows you are talking about, but feel I know exactly what you are talking about. I talked about Stephen King's It. In the 1985 miniseries, Richie was a bit of a douchebag smartass, but someone other misfits, outcasts, and losers would still hang out with. In the recent film, Richie was a complete asshole who had to have every single comment be a snarky attempt at wit, not even the most lonely kid on Earth would want any part of.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7232 on: July 15, 2020, 06:50:01 PM »
Pumping Iron

A scripted documentary but one of my all time favourites. Arnold’s charisma and mind games towards other competitors is legendary

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7233 on: July 16, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
The Sunset Limited, a film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's play.  Script written by McCarthy.  Only two actors, Samuel L. Jackson (as Black) and Tommy Lee Jones (as White), the entire film occurs in Jackson's apartment.  Directed by Jones.

Very heady, dark conversation on the nature of life and the universe following an unsuccessful suicide attempt by White.  It's an acting tour de force by these guys, but it's all talk, no action.  I vigorously recommend it for what it is, but what it is won't be liked by a lot of people.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7234 on: July 16, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
Pumping Iron

A scripted documentary but one of my all time favourites. Arnold’s charisma and mind games towards other competitors is legendary

Yeah he was a beast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7235 on: July 17, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
Last Christmas

Enjoyable little film, and if you like the music of George Michael and/or the adorableness of Emilia Clarke, you'll like it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7236 on: July 18, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Session 9

Been meaning to see it for a long time. Its supposed to be this hidden gem psychological horror movie, but I'm a little divided. Its very rough around the edges and took its sweet ass time to get engaging. The 25 mins or so were pretty decent though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7237 on: July 18, 2020, 10:05:33 PM »
Yeah I didn't like it that much considering some of the hype. It's just confusing overall and although the last part is the best, it also feels kinda forced.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7238 on: July 20, 2020, 09:56:32 AM »
Over the weekend, I watched an Amazon Prime original called 7500.  It's about a fictional hijacking of a flight from Berlin to Paris.  It's worth watching, but I'd say it's somewhere in the just ok to good range.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7239 on: July 20, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »
Hamilton  - Really hard to let go of preconceived notions on this, but all-in-all, I thought it was very good.  It had some flaws and I just can't see a path to this living up to the hype but for the socio-political aspects of it, and I'm frankly not interested in that, but nonetheless it was an engaging performance.  I thought Christopher Jackson was BREATHTAKING as George Washington; what a performance, and same to who I considered the star of the show, Phillipa Soo.   Both Daveed Diggs and Leslie Odom, Jr. were outstanding as well (Sidebar:  my best friend from college, his son is in New York studying acting and has done a couple workshop productions with... Daveed Diggs.)  Lin-Miranda Manuel is over his head in both singing and acting; there were unfortunately spots where it really stood out. 

I'll watch it again, if for no other reason to take note of the songs.  Not a rap guy, so the "brilliance" of rapping a colonial story is a conceit more than anything else, but some of the songs - particularly in the second act - are very strong.   I wish I knew the titles better, but certainly the first 20 minutes of act two is solid.   

Ready Or Not - WTF, I guess.   Good idea, I guess, but some of the acting was so over the top - my GOD can that woman (Samara Weaving) scream - and the socio-political tropes are as heavy an anvil (my god! The rich are weird?  Not like "us"?  Soulless and barbaric?   What novel concepts).  I found that and the swearing to be off-putting, but the ending was... interesting (chosen to not give it away).   If you can get past the implicit preachiness - why I'm not sure I'd recommend it to everyone - it's an interesting premise to kill a evening with, if need be. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7240 on: July 20, 2020, 10:28:57 AM »
I watched Troop Zero over the weekend. It was cute, in a My Dog Skip kind of way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7241 on: July 20, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Ocean’s Eight. Fairly generic heist film but entertaining enough. Nice change of pace to have all female protagonists.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7242 on: July 20, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
I thought it was okay.  Reasonable attempts were made to both connect it to the George Clooney series (as opposed to the original Rat Pack movie) and have it possibly start its own series.

I made the mistake of wondering who the Asian girl was, so I looked it up.  Are you kidding?  Her name is Awkwafina?

I mean, are you kidding?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7243 on: July 20, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
I believe that's her stage name. She was a singer and comedian before she acted so the name stuck.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7244 on: July 20, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »
First of all, Awkwafina is fantastic. She has a bright future. And second....she'll really need to get rid of that stage name and go back to her legal name if she wants that bright future.
fanticide.bandcamp.com