Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554781 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #7140 on: July 01, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »
Yea, Kubrick was notoriously difficult for many actors because of how demanding he was. I know a few of the stars of Spartacus would sit around trying to figure out how to get out of the movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7141 on: July 01, 2020, 04:56:45 PM »
Vincent D'Onofrio said about Kubrick he had three demands of his actors/actresses: 1) be on time, 2) know your lines, 3) don't bump in to the furniture. He never gave much direction, he didn't care how you got in to a scene or found your motivation. All he asked was that you do your best to enable him to tell the story he wants to tell the way he wants to tell it.

I have more thoughts about The Shining I will need to address later when I have more time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #7142 on: July 01, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
When did D’Onofrio work with Kubrick? Eyes Wide Shut? If so, that’s a much older Kubrick.

And I think it was more dozens upon dozens of takes when no one but Kubrick could even tell a difference. That alone could drive someone insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7143 on: July 01, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
Full Metal Jacket. His first motion picture role.

Adam Baldwin (also Full Metal Jacket) also said Kubrick was the most patient man he'd ever met, and simultaneously the most impatient man he'd ever met.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #7144 on: July 01, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
Good god! How did I forget that?!?!

I’m gonna walk away in shame now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7145 on: July 01, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »
IMDb Trivia page for The Shining - 252 Items!

Shelley Duvall received "no sympathy at all" from anyone on the set. This was apparently Stanley Kubrick's tactic in making her feel utterly hopeless. This is most evident in the documentary when he tells Vivian, "Don't sympathize with Shelley." Kubrick then goes on to tell Duvall, "It doesn't help you."

Stanley Kubrick was famously very demanding and intimidating on set, to the point of driving both Shelley Duvall and Scatman Crothers to tears...

Kubrick as an artist filmmaker started becoming obsessed with his work, making the movie; and became abusive to Shelley Duvall and Scatman Crothers in the process; and pretty much everyone felt like they were going nuts during a 9 month arduous shoot.

----------

Sounds like fucking hell.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7146 on: July 01, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »
IMDb Trivia page for The Shining - 252 Items!

Shelley Duvall received "no sympathy at all" from anyone on the set. This was apparently Stanley Kubrick's tactic in making her feel utterly hopeless. This is most evident in the documentary when he tells Vivian, "Don't sympathize with Shelley." Kubrick then goes on to tell Duvall, "It doesn't help you."

Stanley Kubrick was famously very demanding and intimidating on set, to the point of driving both Shelley Duvall and Scatman Crothers to tears...

Kubrick as an artist filmmaker started becoming obsessed with his work, making the movie; and became abusive to Shelley Duvall and Scatman Crothers in the process; and pretty much everyone felt like they were going nuts during a 9 month arduous shoot.

----------

Sounds like fucking hell.
It's still got nothing on The Abyss. Those people had a ruthless director plus the very real threat of drowning every day for six months. That's the one movie where "The Making Of" is more harrowing than the actual movie.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7147 on: July 01, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »
Roger Ebert had an interesting take on the filming and psychology of the The Shining. Read the whole thing: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-shining-1980

Also, getting back to Full Metal Jacket, I remember seeing an interview with Rafter Man and he said they were on the set for xx number of months (I can't recall the number) but it was longer than an actual tour of duty during the Vietnam War.

I am not sure if I have ever seen The Abyss.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7148 on: July 02, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
It's a two-way street though; he may be "difficult", but we all have difficult people we work with.  Difference is, I have no assurances that tens of millions of people are going to know and love my name after working with them.  You're in a Kubrick film, and people are going to know your name.

Watched Pulp Fiction again last night.  Way better movie than I remember it being.  My daughter - who didn't like Reservoir Dogs all that much - thought this was FAR better.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7149 on: July 05, 2020, 05:05:52 AM »
Watched Pulp Fiction again last night.  Way better movie than I remember it being.  My daughter - who didn't like Reservoir Dogs all that much - thought this was FAR better.

Both are tied in value for my tastes, and in my Top 5 of all-time movies.  We watched those in university soooooo many times.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7150 on: July 06, 2020, 08:19:35 AM »
Office Space.   Not nearly as funny as I remember it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7151 on: July 06, 2020, 10:17:02 AM »

Yeah...I've found that some of the absurd comedies I enjoyed when I was younger fall short nowadays.  Some of the ridiculous premises of Office Space were too much for me overcome when I re-watched it a year or two ago.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #7152 on: July 06, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
Odd as I found it just as funny when I last saw it a couple of years ago, I think it helps that my job is in an exact place with the exact same issues depicted in the movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7153 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:17 AM »
Just watched The Report.  Really good movie about the CIA torture abuses.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7154 on: July 06, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »

It wasn't funny to begin with.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7155 on: July 06, 2020, 11:52:14 PM »
I loved Office Space the first time I saw it. I never liked Beavis and Butthed much, but otherwise enjoy Mike Judge's humor. King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows. When I saw it a second time, i still enjoyed it. Though I didn't find it as LOL funny, it still brought me plenty of smiles. A great film.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7156 on: July 07, 2020, 06:15:51 AM »
To me, a lot of the appeal of Office Space was that we finally got to see someone do the shit we'd all love to do.  People who work in cubicle farms know that life so well, and there are so many characters that we recognize; they just go by different names.  I usually watch it for a while if I catch it on cable, but the shock and surprise has worn off, and with it, a lot of the humor.  Still fun, but mostly nostalgia for me now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7157 on: July 07, 2020, 06:45:50 AM »
I loved Office Space the first time I saw it. I never liked Beavis and Butthed much, but otherwise enjoy Mike Judge's humor. King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows. When I saw it a second time, i still enjoyed it. Though I didn't find it as LOL funny, it still brought me plenty of smiles. A great film.

I thought B&B were pretty funny, and from what I've seen of King Of The Hill, it's hilarious.

But I thought that movie blew.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7158 on: July 07, 2020, 06:59:46 AM »

It wasn't funny to begin with.

This just broke my heart.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7159 on: July 07, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
I remember liking Spaceballs when I first saw it.

But I watched it again recently and now i'm a lot older I couldn't get through it.

It's not Galaxy Quest that's for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7160 on: July 07, 2020, 08:00:54 AM »
Galaxy Quest is amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7161 on: July 07, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »
To me, a lot of the appeal of Office Space was that we finally got to see someone do the shit we'd all love to do.  People who work in cubicle farms know that life so well, and there are so many characters that we recognize; they just go by different names.  I usually watch it for a while if I catch it on cable, but the shock and surprise has worn off, and with it, a lot of the humor.  Still fun, but mostly nostalgia for me now.

I must be weird, then, because while I've worked for big corporations, I've never experienced that kind of numbingness.  So to me it was just over the top.   I guess it's Stadler sucking the fun again, but I just haven't worked with people that kind of stupid before. 

And I love Beavis and Butthead. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #7162 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »
I've worked in 3 companies that depict those exact same corporate shenanigans. With the TPS reports, the fake birthday celebrations, the PC load letter errors, some of them are downright scary how close they are, etc... One company I worked in even had the "Bobs" and as I was talking to them I couldn't stop comparing in my head how a movie made a decade ago (at the time) downright nailed the absurdities. Apart from the relationship plots the corporate culture shown in the movie I've personally experienced it a few times over which is why I still find it so relevant.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #7163 on: July 07, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »
The Lighthouse.

Holy moly! That is a fantastic movie. And if anyone has doubts as to Robert Pattinson's acting ability...check out this movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7164 on: July 07, 2020, 08:57:30 AM »
Galaxy Quest is amazing.

Yes. Mainly because it's a great film in its own right. Secondly because it's actually reverential to the source material.

Spaceballs is pretty crap on all levels.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7165 on: July 07, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »

I must be weird, then, because while I've worked for big corporations, I've never experienced that kind of numbingness.  So to me it was just over the top.   I guess it's Stadler sucking the fun again, but I just haven't worked with people that kind of stupid before. 

And I love Beavis and Butthead.

Since I moved in-house, I've encountered a bit of that cubicle farm culture but not a ton.  My sister used to work for a company that sold medicare supplement insurance, and she had some stories to tell.  For me, the best part of Office Space was that first scene with Jennifer Aniston as the waitress at a Friday's style restaurant and her "flare."

Beavis and Butthead were a bit amusing, but they crossed the "more stupid than funny" line more often than not.  I liken this to the Three Stooges.  When I was first introduced to the Three Stooges at the age of 10 (or thereabouts), I found them hilarious, but I quickly found myself wanting something a bit more clever.

Never watched King of the Hill -- mostly because it looks too much like B&B, so I assume I'll feel the same way.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7166 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »

Never watched King of the Hill -- mostly because it looks too much like B&B, so I assume I'll feel the same way.

King of the Hill bears very little similarity with B&B.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7167 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:40 PM »
pg was talking about how they look similar, not the story content.  They do look very similar.  Same animation style.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7168 on: July 08, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
pg was talking about how they look similar, not the story content.  They do look very similar.  Same animation style.

Correct.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7169 on: July 08, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
And ZirconBlue was pointing out that from a story standpoint, which was PG's problem with B&B, they have nothing in common. Friends and Cheers are both 3-camera sitcoms filmed in front of a studio audience, but you wouldn't compare them because they look the same.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7170 on: July 08, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
Are we really gonna go there?

pg's comment came first.  He never bothered with King of the Hill because it looks just like Beavis and Butthead.

ZirconBlue's response that have very little similarity didn't mention anything about story.  I don't even see it as a valid retort, since they clearly do look similar, and that's all that was being discussed at the time.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7171 on: July 08, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
Beavis and Butthead was stupid.
The Three Stooges was stupid.
I never watched King of the Hill because it looks like Beavis and Butthead so I'd probably feel the same way.

It's not the style of animation that he objects to. It was the perceived likelihood that it would be stupid. I mean, maybe it is the style of animation. I have a hard time with Big Mouth because the animation weirds me out. That's not what his post implied, though. ZB was correct that KotH is a far cry from B&B based on what PG was suggesting.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #7172 on: July 08, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »
I did not really care for Beavis and Butthead much, though their movie was great.

I've only seen a handful of King of the Hill episodes and yea, very very different. And it has a line that has always struck me as funny.

"You're failing English? Bobby...you speak English!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7173 on: July 08, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
I did not really care for Beavis and Butthead much, though their movie was great.

I've only seen a handful of King of the Hill episodes and yea, very very different. And it has a line that has always struck me as funny.

"You're failing English? Bobby...you speak English!"
It's actually halfway intelligent. I was never much of a fan, but a I've seen plenty of episodes hanging out with friends and it's usually pretty funny. I think part of it might be because it's so Texas-centric. I have to wonder how many jokes go unnoticed by people up North.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7174 on: July 08, 2020, 10:18:48 PM »
It's actually halfway intelligent. I was never much of a fan, but a I've seen plenty of episodes hanging out with friends and it's usually pretty funny. I think part of it might be because it's so Texas-centric. I have to wonder how many jokes go unnoticed by people up North.

There is a bunch of silliness in Arlen, like Dale's obsession with conspiracies and Bill's pining over Lenore. But there is a lot of intelligence behind the silliness. In Hank's mind, there is no reason his son should be failing English, because, well... he speaks English. That sounds silly, but from the lens of a propane salesman in Texas, maybe it isn't.

Mike Judge tends to write about his personal experiences. He worked in an office, hated it, and wrote a movie about some of those experiences. He saw a manager in a restaurant who seemed like a real douchebag, and that became the character he played in Office Space (the manager who got on Jennifer Aniston's case about her 'flair'). KotH is very Texas-centric; I didn't know there was such an occupation as a 'propane and propane accessory salesman.' But while some of the humor is localized, but I think they did a great job making it as universal as possible, poking fun at Texas without demeaning it. For example, I love how they stand for the National Anthem while watching a Cowboys game on TV.