Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559318 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6895 on: May 07, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
Risky Business. Probably haven't seen it since '83, and I liked it a lot better now than I did then. Cool movie, and wonderfully stylistic. All of the night shots around Chicago looked fantastic. Even the car chase was well shot. And oddly by a first time director who never really did anything again. Not sure what was up with that. The cast was also very good. I never thought Rebecca De Mornay was particularly hot, but she's got a real sexiness that works here. And 35 years later the rest of the cast is immediately recognizable, from Booger and Bronson Pinchot to Ralphie Cifaretto as Guido the Killer Pimp, yet despite knowing them all as completely different people, they work great as their respective characters. And lastly Tom Cruise who sold his transformation perfectly well. All in all a pretty good flick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6896 on: May 07, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »
Man I totally forgot Joey Pants was in that!  Though not sure why as it seems like he is in just about everything.

I am sure I saw that years ago, but I wouldn't want to say either way strapped to a poly.

At the risk of starting a whole discussion about The Shining, when i think Rebecca De Mornay I think of Wendy from the TV miniseries The Shining. She was equal parts lovely wife, caring mom, and bitch when pushed too far. She was great in that part (and how I envision Wendy in my head when reading the book).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6897 on: May 07, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

IMO one of the best comedies of all time  :metal

Those aren’t pillows!

All all-time classic, and Candy's greatest acting.

I saw it once, and frankly I didn't find anything funny about it.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles has some really funny moments, but it's just as much of a drama as it is a comedy, so I tend to judge it on the "how good of a movie is it?" scale, rather than knocking it for not being an all-time funny movie.  The Breakfast Club is similar in that regard.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6898 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:11 AM »

Those aren’t pillows!

+1.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6899 on: May 08, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
Steve Martin is underrated.

John Candy is overrated.

John Candy was always best as a seasoning in someone else's flick.   "Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6900 on: May 08, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »
Steve Martin is underrated as a banjo player.

John Candy is overrated.

Couldn't agree more.

Those aren’t pillows!

Yeah...I've only seen it once -- probably 10+ years after it was released.  I had heard good things but was completely underwhelmed.  Too many unlikable characters (Candy's in particular) and dumb scenarios.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6901 on: May 08, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »
Saw Birds of Prey.

DC's lousy attempt at trying to do a quirky and wacky movie in the style of Deadpool. I know it's not meant to be taken as a terribly serious movie, but the cliches for the fights and egomaniacal laughable villain abound. Margot Robbie as Harley Queen is one of the best things in the DC world, but she alone isn't enough to save the movie.

It's not easy to do a "stupid" movie. Deadpool was great, this one was not.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6902 on: May 08, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »

John Candy is overrated.

John Candy was always best as a seasoning in someone else's flick.   "Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!"

I might agree with this if Uncle Buck didn't exist.  That is a major comedy classic, and Candy is the star.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6903 on: May 09, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
I wouldn't call John Candy overrated, especially now as opposed to 20 years ago, since most people under the age of 30 or 35 barely know who he is.

But I do agree with his best work was done as a support. Uncle Buck and actually Cool Runnings I found him to be quite good in, but his most notable movie roles, he was not the lead.

However had he acted longer (he was only 43 when he died(, that may have changed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6904 on: May 09, 2020, 11:40:05 AM »
John Candy is like an SNL skit. SNL skits are designed to run maybe 5 minutes. They are quick, concise, and, when they are good, leave you laughing and wanting more. Think about how crappy all the SNL skits they turned in to full length movies. They sucked*. That's not the right format for them. John Candy is like that. It's not intended as a rag on him. How great was Michael Richards as Kramer? It wouldn't work if Kramer had his own show.**

*with due respect to Wayne's World, which I didn't enjoy much and in my mind still fits my point

**sometimes it works, like with Frasier, but then, while Kelsey Grammer the star of that show, he was surrounded by a great cast and bolstered by brilliant writing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6905 on: May 09, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
I agree with that.  Cosmo Kramer would not have worked with being the main character of a show, but as one of the main supports on Seinfeld, he was money.

As funny as the show Frasier was, the Frasier Crane character was much funnier on Cheers, IMO, when he was in a supporting role most of the time. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6906 on: May 09, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »
As funny as the show Frasier was, the Frasier Crane character was much funnier on Cheers, IMO, when he was in a supporting role most of the time. 

Right. Frasier on Cheers had to function differently than Frasier on Frasier. The writers knew this, made it work, which is why it was successful. Sam was the fulcrum on Cheers, the stabilizing force among the chaos surrounding him, just like Jerry was on Seinfeld, and like Frasier had to be on Frasier.

On topic... I have not seen a movie in ages. I need to get to Rise of Skywalker now that it's on Disney+ but I don't know how I can do that with everyone at home.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6907 on: May 10, 2020, 11:48:28 AM »
STRAIGHT UP

as dialogue-heavy as this was, I still enjoyed a lot of this. Fans of Gilmore Girls and The Big Bang Theory (Sheldon specifically) may be reminded of things from it.

For one, the lead female character's name is Rory and there's a GG reference shown in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4r-0Bf1xc

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #6908 on: May 10, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »
Climax (2018):

Pretty crazy movie. I liked it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6909 on: May 12, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
Se7en.    Sorely disappointed.   The story was interesting, and there were little moments in the movie that were good, but equally, there were little moments that were annoying (Brad Pitt's flashlight).   Oh, and huge moments that ruined the movie for me, like Brad Pitt's "acting" (in quotes because it's being used in the loosest of terms).   Cringeworthy.  From the little "yeah?"'s that he would throw in to seeming "build character" to the incredible over-acting at the end.  He went from zero to shooting a guy in the head, with requisite histrionics in-between - off of what was essentially a head-nod from Morgan Freeman.  I don't know, it didn't seem believable to me. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6910 on: May 12, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
Yeah, but Kevin Spacey kicked ass, right?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6911 on: May 12, 2020, 01:46:57 PM »
Knives Out

Great cast and lots of twists which kept me thinking about swerves until the end.  Cool to hear a sequel is in the works.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6912 on: May 13, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
Fight Club.   Never saw it the first time around; sort of an Edward Norton fan, sort of a Helena Bonham Carter fan, not a Brad Pitt fan.    My daughter called the conceit about half-way through, I didn't really see it coming.  I do not understand the ending though; I mean mechanically.  I do not understand how that physically happened (I'm being vague to not give it away; short version: why didn't HE die too?)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6913 on: May 13, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
Se7en.    Sorely disappointed.   

I saw Seven (yeah I am going to write it like that). I saw it years after it came out, yet knew nothing about it going in. Didn't have any expectations. Didn't know Fincher's work, ambivalent about Brad Pitt. Knew Morgan Freeman is usually solid. Highly enjoyed it. A movie where I watched all the bonus features and listened to the DVD audio commentaries.

Fight Club.   Never saw it the first time around; sort of an Edward Norton fan, sort of a Helena Bonham Carter fan, not a Brad Pitt fan.    My daughter called the conceit about half-way through, I didn't really see it coming.  I do not understand the ending though; I mean mechanically.  I do not understand how that physically happened (I'm being vague to not give it away; short version: why didn't HE die too?)

Recall I saw this with a gal at my apartment. Maybe I was distracted - though I know we made it through the movie without being mutually distracted. Didn't enjoy it much, didn't get the acclaim it received.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6914 on: May 13, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
Knives Out

Great cast and lots of twists which kept me thinking about swerves until the end.  Cool to hear a sequel is in the works.

Good fun movie.  It took me a minute or two to adjust to Daniel Craig's character, mostly the accent, but after that I was all in.  And yep, they're working on a sequel, and are thinking about a whole series of Benoit Blanc movies.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6915 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »

Lucky angolation I guess. The hurt was there, but the way it happened it wasn't fatal.

Were you surprised too to learn that there were more than 2 rules of Fight Club, btw?  :biggrin: that's all I knew from pop culture so I was genuinely surprised when he kept listing them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6916 on: May 13, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
I just saw it not too long ago, as well. I thought it would have been much better without the mindfuck. Had the whole thing been real it would have been excellent. And Meatloaf was fantastic. And I can understand not liking Brad Pitt, but when he's good he's great, and that was the case with Fight Club. "And now for a question of etiquette. Do you get the ass or the crotch?" (Norton got the ass. The stewardess got the crotch.  :lol)
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6917 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
I can agree that Brad was good in that movie; he was certainly perfect for the role.   It was actually a decent meta-performance on his part, and at the end, in the hotel room, it made the "I'm who you want to be" (not a direct quote) monologue believable.   I will be likely watching it again, to pick up things.    There were moments in the film - the fight scenes mostly - that I'd like to retrofit into what I know now.   I noticed that scene on the airplane too; another I personally liked was was when he answered the door (with HBC inside) naked except for the rubber cleaning glove, and she looks up and says "oh, I found cigarettes". 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:08:06 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6918 on: May 13, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
I can agree that Brad was good in that movie; he was certainly perfect for the role.   It was actually a decent meta-performance on his part, and at the end, in the hotel room, it made the "I'm who you want to be" (not a direct quote) monologue believable.   I will be likely watching it again, to pick up things.    There were moments in the film - the fight scenes mostly - that I'd like to retrofit into what I know now.   I noticed that scene on the airplane too; another I personally liked qas was when he answered the door (with HBC inside) naked except for the rubber cleaning glove, and she looks up and says "oh, I found cigarettes".

When you re-watch, note that there was a clue there about the twist ('who are you talking to?").

Online faizoff

« Reply #6919 on: May 13, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »

I saw Seven (yeah I am going to write it like that). I saw it years after it came out, yet knew nothing about it going in. Didn't have any expectations. Didn't know Fincher's work, ambivalent about Brad Pitt. Knew Morgan Freeman is usually solid. Highly enjoyed it. A movie where I watched all the bonus features and listened to the DVD audio commentaries.

Same here. I think I listened to all 4 audio commentaries on that. If I'm not mistaken Se7en was my first DVD purchase and the extras were packed to the brim on that release.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6920 on: May 13, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »

Same here. I think I listened to all 4 audio commentaries on that. If I'm not mistaken Se7en was my first DVD purchase and the extras were packed to the brim on that release.

Yes it was a great release. I was just getting in to DVDs at whatever time I bought it (and was also single, with no cable or social life) so the content of a DVD dictated my purchase of it almost as much as the movie itself.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6921 on: May 14, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »

John Candy is overrated.

John Candy was good in "The Great Outdoors",  co-starring with Dan Akroyed.. :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6922 on: May 15, 2020, 08:36:23 AM »

John Candy was good in "The Great Outdoors",  co-starring with Dan Akroyed.. :corn

Ya know, I liked that movie when I was a kid and it was first out, because, hey, what kid my age didn't love movies with John Candy or Dan Aykroyd back then, but when I saw it again many years later, it was mildly humorous at best.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6923 on: May 15, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
Wall-E.   Cried like four times.  WTF. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6924 on: May 15, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
I love Wall-E.  I think it might be my favorite Pixar movie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6925 on: May 15, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
I love Wall-E.  I think it might be my favorite Pixar movie.

Wall-E.   Cried like four times.  WTF.

I thought Wall-E sucked pretty hard.  It was like The Bee Movie -- a 90 minute heavy-handed public service announcement.

For my money, Pixar will have a very hard time topping The Incredibles.  My recently turned 18-yo kid, who grew up on Pixar movies, says Cars is his favorite.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6926 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:02 PM »
Incredibles is amazing.

Wall-E is glorious and I love it so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6927 on: May 15, 2020, 02:05:27 PM »
Yeah, love those 2 movies.

The one that makes me and my wife ball our eyes out was Up.  It was like seeing us on the screen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6928 on: May 15, 2020, 02:08:49 PM »
I never get in to Pixar/Disney movies much. Wall-E was... fine. It was good entertainment (anything with Fred Willard has some value just by his presence in it). Likewise Bee Movie was fine. I think I watched it on a plane, which, as someone else said, adds 50% to the enjoyment factor. Listening to a bee talk with Jerry Seinfeld's voice brought a smile to my face.

I've never seen most Pixar/Disney films, or any animated films for that matter. Any time we have movie night at home and watch one my daughter picks out, I lose interest within 15 minutes. Part of that is my attention span - I can barely get through a movie I want to watch), and me wanting to do something else I enjoy more.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6929 on: May 16, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »
Been on a bit of a Takashi Miike binge lately. Finished the dead or alive trilogy and I just have Ley Lines left in the Black Society trilogy. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. You just never know what to expect because anything can happen in his movies lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?