Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559653 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6825 on: April 29, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »
I finally saw The Wolf of Wall Street.

I was not expecting it to be as raunchy as it was.

And I really was not expecting to see that much of Margot Robbie.  I am not sure any woman has ever looked as good in a movie as she did in that one. Holy shitballs. :heart :heart :heart

That gal has got it goin’ on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6826 on: April 29, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
I've never seen her in anything, I've only seen pictures, so maybe not a fair representation, but she doesn't get anything from me other than a shrug.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6827 on: April 29, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
I've never seen her in anything, I've only seen pictures, so maybe not a fair representation, but she doesn't get anything from me other than a shrug.

It's weird, I love her as an actress. She is really way better than she could be, given how she looks, and while she is very cute, she's more generic to me than anything else. If I'm attracted to her, it's because she's actually really talented and seems to have a cool personality. But I don't see her as the goddess many do.

Which is good news for Stadler. Less competition.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6828 on: April 29, 2020, 12:01:11 PM »

I googled for the nude scenes in Wolf (I've never seen the movie), and she is completely lacking in curvage, so I'm right there with you.  There was a picture of her and Lenny Dicaprio lying next to each other, and it's a tossup as to who has the bigger chest.  She's pretty, and I liked her in the short-lived TV show Pan Am, but she's too waifish for my taste.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6829 on: April 29, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
I'm a sucker for all that Margot Robbie offers.  Not a huge chest guy (all kinds of puns intended), sucker for long hair and a winning smile. 

I even think my wife looks a little like Margot Robbie*.  But that doesn't mean much, because I once sat at a bar in Orlando for two hours talking to a guy that I was absolutely CONVINCED was Martin Truex, Jr. (NASCAR driver) and he wasn't letting on for fear of attracting a crowd.   I was three strawberry pipe cleaners in when they showed the practice runs for the race the next day in Michigan and there was no way he was sitting at a tiki bar with me in Orlando. 

* She doesn't really, but what makes her beautiful is what makes Margot Robbie beautiful. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6830 on: April 29, 2020, 12:42:30 PM »

Not questioning you, but to get a gauge for your tastes, who WOULD get more than a shrug?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6831 on: April 29, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
Probably not a fair assessment as I don't know if anyone would get much of a rise out of me based on a Google image search. It's such a random assortment of pictures, promo head shots, glamorous red-carpet shots, movie stills, candid paparazzi shots with no make-up, etc...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6832 on: April 29, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
Because I live in a cave sometimes, or because I never pay attention to any stars that aren't in TV shows or movies I've seen, I had no idea who Margot Robbie was until I saw her in the Tarantino film last year, and I will freely admit that my immediate reaction was, HOLY CRAP.  Like Bill said, she has a winning smile, not to mention amazing eyes and gorgeous legs. What's not to love?  I am an ass and legs man, so average-sized hooters don't bother me in the least.  Her down-to-earth in interviews I have seen since only makes her that much more attractive, similar to Emilia Clarke who is merely cute, but becomes like 10 times cuter when she talks and shows off that awesome personality of hers.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6833 on: April 29, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
That goes to my point... I have never heard or seen her speak. I've only seen pictures, so my evaluation is admittedly rudimentary. And I am probably inhabiting the neighboring cave myself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6834 on: April 29, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
Back off, man, she's mine!  I'll knife you!  :)

Seriously, though, that's spot on, in my view.   By the way, BLOWN AWAY when I heard her accent.  Normally that accent doesn't work for me, but she's an exception.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6835 on: April 29, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
If you can't afford Margot Robbie, the budget version comes in the form of Emma Mackey, who stars in Sex Education (funny, witty and surprisingly intelligent TV series) and is basically Margot's long lost sister.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6836 on: April 29, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
If you can't afford Margot Robbie, the budget version comes in the form of Emma Mackey, who stars in Sex Education (funny, witty and surprisingly intelligent TV series) and is basically Margot's long lost sister.

I'd never heard of her, but a Google image search suggests that the two could change lives and folks would be hard pressed to notice.  The caption of about the 10th picture in the search is, "Is 'Sex Education's' Emma Mackey Related to Margot Robbie?"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #6837 on: April 29, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
As weird as it sounds, I’m way more attracted to Emma Mackey. Might be style based on the show though. I’m not into model looking blondes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6838 on: April 30, 2020, 07:34:30 AM »
When I'm tired of sharing Margot (she's sort of the "It Girl" of the moment, with "Wolves", Tarantino, and the whole Harley Quinn debacle), I opt for Sarah Shahi.  You know how on the Zeppelin remasters, the back cover is sort of an negative of the front cover, but not really?  Sarah is sort of a dark haired version of Margot Robbie (and I recognize I'm writing this as if she's an object; no disrespect intended.  She was in "Person Of Interest", and the episode where her character is introduced is an acting tour de force). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6839 on: April 30, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »
When I'm tired of sharing Margot (she's sort of the "It Girl" of the moment, with "Wolves", Tarantino, and the whole Harley Quinn debacle), I opt for Sarah Shahi.

Now you're piquing my interest a bit.  I've only seen her in a couple random guest appearances, and she's too petite for my taste, but she's super beautiful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6840 on: April 30, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
I remember seeing Sarah Shahi for the first time in a Sopranos episode in the last season and that was another "wow, she is stunning" moment.  I haven't seen her in anything in a long time, but she was pretty stunning back in 2007, I know that.  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6841 on: April 30, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
Embarassingly, I didn't even realize she was in The Sopranos.  I just know her from Person Of Interest, and Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day Special.

(Kidding about that last; there was another show she was in... one of the procedurals, but I didn't watch that either.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6842 on: April 30, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
Embarassingly, I didn't even realize she was in The Sopranos.  I just know her from Person Of Interest, and Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day Special.

(Kidding about that last; there was another show she was in... one of the procedurals, but I didn't watch that either.)

According to Wikipedia, Aahoo Jahansouz (aka Sarah) Shahi had an uncredited role in Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (which I saw but don't remember much about).  She was also in Rush Hour 3 (which I might have seen because my wife and son are fans of the series).  I have definitely not seen any of her other movies.  In the world of TV, she was in 7 episodes of Alias (which I watched regularly, but I don't remember her character), 26 episodes of The L Word (never watched), 32 episodes of something called Life (never heard of), 23 episodes of Fairly Legal, 9 episodes of Chicago Fire, 49 Episodes of Person of Interest (never watched), and 10 episodes of Reverie (never heard of).  Other than that, she's done a ton of one-off appearances on TV shows ranging from Spin City to the aforementioned Sopranos episode to the current Nathan Fillion show, The Rookie.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:55:28 PM by pg1067 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6843 on: April 30, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »

She was only in one Sopranos episode.  Tony meets up with her in Vegas and they do peyote.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6844 on: April 30, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »

She was only in one Sopranos episode.  Tony meets up with her in Vegas and they do peyote.

I have to go back, because I remember that episode.  Huh.

PG: I don't know what your bag is (and I'm gunshy after the Little Wing debacle, haha!) but Person Of Interest is a pretty good show. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6845 on: April 30, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

PG: I don't know what your bag is (and I'm gunshy after the Little Wing debacle, haha!) but Person Of Interest is a pretty good show.

My wife may have watched some or all of it.  Reading the description on Wiki, it seems potentially interesting, so I may check it out at some point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6846 on: April 30, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
My older brother started watching Person of Interest a while back and really talked it up; I still need to check it out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6847 on: April 30, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »
I remember her from Life.  That was a really good show, but only me and, like, 2 other people watched it, so it got canceled.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6848 on: April 30, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »
Blade Runner, the 2007 "Final Cut" version.  I've read the book something like 10 times (it's one of those books, like The Bourne Identity, where if I'm bored for a day, or I have a quick overnight trip, I'll grab and burn through), but haven't seen the movie for decades, and I was... disappointed, to say the least.   The movie is beautifully shot, and the soundtrack is amazing; it's really immersive in that way.  But there were little notes that I was expecting to be hit from the book and they weren't.   That's on me, of course, but while I didn't want/need it to follow the book exactly, there were certain things I wished were there. 

I remember watching Blade Runner (the theatrical cut) when I was a kid, was in love with the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, and thus sought out everything Harrison Ford was in. It was too cerebral for my youthful brain, where was all the action?! I watched it years later (not sure what version) and was able to appreciate it more, though I cannot say I fully enjoyed it. I've never read the book.

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was an outstanding film.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6849 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
I went for a double package of english horror movies from the 1970s.

First one was Goodbye Gemini, I was intrigued by the title referenced by the band Blood Ceremony, and I've read that it was set in the '70s in London, so why not I figured... a bit weird, more thriller and very little horror, based on a couple of twins (one of whom was a fan of the Lannister twins if you know what I'm saying) and their hedonistic clubbing and partying before sinister sheaningans ensue.

And the other one.... well, a glorious classic: THE WICKER MAN (because it's the day it happens anyway).

Absolutely marvelous movie, I'll forever regret.... sob.... bear with me.... don't insult me too hard..... to have seen before that other thing with the same name with Nicholas Cage  :facepalm: but there's a reason why Christopher Lee considered it his favorite movie, the atmosphere is so haunting and captivating and the twist, in an era where you were not raised to expect a twist in every thriller / mystery movie, was absolutely well played and a gut punch.

Definitively a must see for anyone who's even remotely a fan of this kind of stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6850 on: April 30, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
Blade Runner, the 2007 "Final Cut" version.  I've read the book something like 10 times (it's one of those books, like The Bourne Identity, where if I'm bored for a day, or I have a quick overnight trip, I'll grab and burn through), but haven't seen the movie for decades, and I was... disappointed, to say the least.   The movie is beautifully shot, and the soundtrack is amazing; it's really immersive in that way.  But there were little notes that I was expecting to be hit from the book and they weren't.   That's on me, of course, but while I didn't want/need it to follow the book exactly, there were certain things I wished were there. 

I remember watching Blade Runner (the theatrical cut) when I was a kid, was in love with the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, and thus sought out everything Harrison Ford was in. It was too cerebral for my youthful brain, where was all the action?! I watched it years later (not sure what version) and was able to appreciate it more, though I cannot say I fully enjoyed it. I've never read the book.

Blade Runner is an absolutely spectacular movie, at the top of my list for all time favorite movie.  I can see where people can get hung up on the lack of action, but the total package of the movie is what makes it special.  The movie is beautifully shot and just immersing and addicting to watch.  The Final Cut is definitely the best version, Scott cleans up all the slight errors that occurred from the original (a lot of the errors IMO are just a result of the technology of the time of filming- eg- the wig scene, spinner getting lifted up).  This movie is just an outstanding piece of art and I understand completely why it has such a fanatical cult following.  However, I did find 2049 to be underwhelming.  Too long and for me, it didn't even come even close to the original.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6851 on: April 30, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »

My wife may have watched some or all of it.  Reading the description on Wiki, it seems potentially interesting, so I may check it out at some point.

It's better than it should be.  Stick with it; somewhere, it's clear that something changed behind the scenes.  It started as more of a procedural, but then it got... pure for lack of a better word.  And the last couple seasons - I think they knew what the time line was going to be - were really gripping. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #6852 on: April 30, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
Blade Runner 2049 is spectacular right up until a crusty Harrison Ford shows up.

Should have been a completely different cast of characters in the same universe rather than trying to shoehorn a direct sequel arc. His story in 2049 isn’t particularly satisfying and it only takes away some of the mystique of the first film. Alas, obviously no one was going to finance a Blade Runner sequel without Ford’s involvement.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6853 on: April 30, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »
Having Ford in that movie was miles away better than any other old timer show up in a movie franchise sequel/reboot (Ford in The Force Awakens, Nimoy in Star Trek 2009, etc...).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6854 on: April 30, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »

Blade Runner is an absolutely spectacular movie, at the top of my list for all time favorite movie.  I can see where people can get hung up on the lack of action, but the total package of the movie is what makes it special.  The movie is beautifully shot and just immersing and addicting to watch.  The Final Cut is definitely the best version, Scott cleans up all the slight errors that occurred from the original (a lot of the errors IMO are just a result of the technology of the time of filming- eg- the wig scene, spinner getting lifted up).  This movie is just an outstanding piece of art and I understand completely why it has such a fanatical cult following.  However, I did find 2049 to be underwhelming.  Too long and for me, it didn't even come even close to the original.

jj, you highlighted the problem for me, though.  It IS beautifully shot, and Vangelis' score fits that movie as well as any score since The Godfather.   But the story and the acting dumbed it down to a level that wasn't worthy of the setting. I could give a shit about action, if the meat of the story was there.  There was no action in the book, either.  Sure, Hauer's "tears"soliloquy was worthy, but the STORY wasn't about the retirement of the Nexus 6's, it was about Dekkard and the nature of what it meant to be a human being.   The Pris (who was supposed to LOOK like Rachel, but instead she looked like the singer from Missing Persons)/Snake Chick/Baty story line did nothing to further that narrative.   Losing the Mercerism story line from the book would have been fine if Scott had made up for it with all the rest of the bells and whistles, but he didn't.   

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6855 on: April 30, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
I can totally see Blade Runner being a confusing movie for many.  I liken Blade Runner to Rush.  There are either two categories for them; you either love them or hate them.  Not much in between for either.  I respect what you are saying Stadler for sure.  Obviously for me, I'm in the love category for Blade Runner and Rush.  When it comes to Blade Runner, I'm blown away by the cinematography and atmosphere of the movie every time; to me it's just next level stuff.  But I can honestly see where this movie does nothing for people as well. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6856 on: April 30, 2020, 05:47:55 PM »
My first time seeing blade runner I was totally lost, but found it visually stunning and was still intrigued by the story. It took a few more viewings to come to love it as much as I do now.

But it did take reading and watching supplemental material. It all went over my head originally.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:56:17 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Adami

« Reply #6857 on: April 30, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »

jj, you highlighted the problem for me, though.  It IS beautifully shot, and Vangelis' score fits that movie as well as any score since The Godfather.   But the story and the acting dumbed it down to a level that wasn't worthy of the setting. I could give a shit about action, if the meat of the story was there.  There was no action in the book, either.  Sure, Hauer's "tears"soliloquy was worthy, but the STORY wasn't about the retirement of the Nexus 6's, it was about Dekkard and the nature of what it meant to be a human being.   The Pris (who was supposed to LOOK like Rachel, but instead she looked like the singer from Missing Persons)/Snake Chick/Baty story line did nothing to further that narrative.   Losing the Mercerism story line from the book would have been fine if Scott had made up for it with all the rest of the bells and whistles, but he didn't.

I think that's always a risk when you know a lot about something going in. You have expectations of what it should be, and often justified. I sometimes have problems with that with Marvel movies because I read so many of the comics. I read every single issue of Civil War and had to really try hard to put it all aside when the movie came out. So if you go into a movie like Blade Runner, you're not getting a direct page to screen adaptation of the book you've become connected to, you're seeing how Scott interpreted the book and what he felt he wanted to convey with that story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6858 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:04 AM »
I felt the same way watching The Lost World Adami.  Read the book and the movie was a shell of the book.  The they homage to King Kong which wasn't in the book upset me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #6859 on: May 01, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »
I felt the same way watching The Lost World Adami.  Read the book and the movie was a shell of the book.  The they homage to King Kong which wasn't in the book upset me.

Yes, and sometimes the movies just suck haha. It's a fine line.
fanticide.bandcamp.com