Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559896 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6720 on: April 13, 2020, 07:31:06 AM »
Well crap.  I had a whole post cooked up, responding to various points individually, then Stadler said pretty much the same thing I'd said, even picking the points to respond to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6721 on: April 13, 2020, 07:41:47 AM »
Well crap.  I had a whole post cooked up, responding to various points individually, then Stadler said pretty much the same thing I'd said, even picking the points to respond to.

Share!  I'd be interested in your take.  Mine is only one man's opinion working from memory (I haven't watched the film in a good five years at least). I'd be interested if your recent watch confirmed or not what I thought.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6722 on: April 13, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »
(pretty sure Sonny banging the bridesmaid didn't make the cut, though it's been a long time since I've watched it.)

I saw it!  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6723 on: April 13, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
I had only seen a few Pacino movies before I saw The Godfather and all of them were recent ones at the time (mid 90's or so, I think), so I didn't recognize him at first either when he first appeared in The Godfather.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6724 on: April 13, 2020, 10:02:49 AM »
Here's another twist to it:

I know it's long, but you've got to watch "The Godfather", then "The Godfather II", but at some point you have to watch "The Godfather Saga", a re-editing of the first two into a more chronological arc, with added footage, but with an eye to more general release (TV) so with less of the adult material (pretty sure Sonny banging the bridesmaid didn't make the cut, though it's been a long time since I've watched it.)

My first experience watching the Godfather I and II was this version. The viewing wasn't ideal (stretched over a couple days in a cubicle in a university library), which could have made the experience underwhelming. Years later I watched both, separately, at home, straight through, and was able to fully appreciate how masterful they both are. The added footage doesn't inform the rest of the narrative in any substantial way, and some of the plot lines aren't as strong, especially the young Vito/DeNiro scenes. They are much stronger intertwined with Michael's narrative.

tl;dr, stay away from this version. Though the deleted scenes do have some novelty if you are interested in that type of thing. 

I could talk about this franchise till the cows come home. Maybe this isn't the thread for it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6725 on: April 13, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
My introduction to the saga was the television re-edit, presented as a mini-series over (I think it was) three nights.  I liked starting with the background of young Vito and seeing his rise to power.  Also, Robert De Niro was terrific.  When I later saw them as standalone films, the jumping back and forth between eras seemed kinda cool, but I never thought it worked as well as others seemed to think.  I pretty much always prefer a chronological narrative.

Re: my retracted post from earlier.  Honestly, over half of it was basically the same as Stadler's.  But here are a few other things.

Michael was a "civilian" to the other family members.  He was known both within the Corleone family and the other families as a civilian, which is why they were okay with him meeting Solozzo and McCluskey at the restaurant.  The irony of course is that Michael is a decorated war hero to the rest of the American public.  Until the hit on Don Vito, he never wanted anything to do with the family business, but here was his opportunity to do something.

Much later, it is the combination of his military background and his knowledge of family business that made him such a formidable enemy.  The coordinated strike at the end against all four rival families at once is a military strategy.

The Italian spoken in the movie isn't great by the American actors, but in Pacino's case is completely fine because it's within character.  Michael was the youngest, and grew up seeing what kind of family he had, including his brothers and sister, and his Italian wasn't very good.  Probably because he at least subconsciouly rejected his Italian heritage.  He considered himself American and spoke English.  Remember he asked Solozzo to slow down at least once during their conversation.  And when he was in Sicily, he had his bodyguards translate for him when we wanted to meet Apollonia's father and her family, because he didn't want to mess it up.

Oranges!

Totally agree on "I'll make him an offer he don't refuse" (which is the correct line).  Don Vito had a very understated way of speaking, and this is but one example.  Unfortunately, it's one that people latched onto and made it into something that it's not.  It's not meant to carry menace or warning; it's a simple statement of fact.  In the book, there are a few other examples.  Don Vito knows the power he wields.  He doesn't flaunt it, but will use it when necessary.

Observation: Most people lump The Godfather in with other gangster movies, which I suppose it is.  But they tend to focus on the violence and ruthlessness of Don Vito, when I think the primary theme is family.  Vito grew up as an immigrant in the U.S., and tried to live within the system, but saw early on how stacked everything was against him.  After a few forays into the underside of things, he realized that there was an entire underworld, and that world operated completely differently and separately from the "legitimate" system.  Within the underworld, he could be the man he wanted to be, support his family, give them everything they need, and while yes, he achieved great power, it was always to support his family.  There's that early scene where he comes home with a pear from the store.  A really nice one, and Mama Corleone remarks on what a beautiful pear it is.  Later you see them in a slightly better apartment, and Mama is cooking food for him, Tessio, and Clemenza.  Later still, he's in a very nice house, hosting people, but there is always the family around.  Family is everything.  He didn't do what he did because he's a ruthless murderer.  He did what he did to provide for his family.

I loved his "strategy", which may or may not have been intentional at first, but certainly became an excellent way to work.  He did favors for people.  He helped them out whenever he could, starting with people in the old neighborhood.  When he has the run-in with Don Roberto over his wife's friend with the dog, he tells Don Roberto to ask around.  He's a man of his word, and knows how to repay a favor.  As time went on, some of these people would go on to become business owners, politicians, police officers, etc., but they would always remember the favor that Don Vito did for them way back when they were first getting started.  Don Vito's power came not from the money or by ruling with guns and an iron fist.  His power was that so many others with power were willing to do his bidding, because they owed him a favor.  His was a friend to people, and people return friendship, they return favors.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6726 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:48 PM »
Was finally able to catch Parasite on streaming.

I normally go into highly acclaimed films like this with the mildest possible of expectations, but I gotta say, it definitely deserves the praise. I was somehow able to avoid any and all spoilers, and I'd say this is the best way to experience the film. It's a masterclass in suspense and unease and makes a lot of poignant observations on class disparity. Another thing I loved about it is how tonally consistent it is despite the legitimately funny moments juxtaposed with the shocking and visceral moments--it never felt out of place or so jarring that it took me out of it. Would definitely watch again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6727 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:21 AM »

Observation: Most people lump The Godfather in with other gangster movies, which I suppose it is.  But they tend to focus on the violence and ruthlessness of Don Vito, when I think the primary theme is family.  Vito grew up as an immigrant in the U.S., and tried to live within the system, but saw early on how stacked everything was against him.  After a few forays into the underside of things, he realized that there was an entire underworld, and that world operated completely differently and separately from the "legitimate" system.  Within the underworld, he could be the man he wanted to be, support his family, give them everything they need, and while yes, he achieved great power, it was always to support his family.  There's that early scene where he comes home with a pear from the store.  A really nice one, and Mama Corleone remarks on what a beautiful pear it is.  Later you see them in a slightly better apartment, and Mama is cooking food for him, Tessio, and Clemenza.  Later still, he's in a very nice house, hosting people, but there is always the family around.  Family is everything.  He didn't do what he did because he's a ruthless murderer.  He did what he did to provide for his family.

I loved his "strategy", which may or may not have been intentional at first, but certainly became an excellent way to work.  He did favors for people.  He helped them out whenever he could, starting with people in the old neighborhood.  When he has the run-in with Don Roberto over his wife's friend with the dog, he tells Don Roberto to ask around.  He's a man of his word, and knows how to repay a favor.  As time went on, some of these people would go on to become business owners, politicians, police officers, etc., but they would always remember the favor that Don Vito did for them way back when they were first getting started.  Don Vito's power came not from the money or by ruling with guns and an iron fist.  His power was that so many others with power were willing to do his bidding, because they owed him a favor.  His was a friend to people, and people return friendship, they return favors.

Those are excellent observations; that "help" is the one element that is almost always lost in the recent spate of "Oh you think I'm FUNNY?" gags in between "whacks" that seem to define mobster movies (but is hinted at in The Sopranos):  Not only did Vito embrace the family (both of them) but the COMMUNITY embraced the FAMILY (well, families; there were five in New York).  In real life, in early part of the century, the Italian community were immigrants.  They didn't trust the Irish (the cops) or the rest of Tammany Hall (also, largely, Irish, though early mob figures like Lucky Luciano and the rest of the five bosses did ally with them out of necessity), so if a local person had a beef, they didn't call the cops, they called the local caporegime to take care of business. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6728 on: April 14, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
Nice to see that I sparked a discussion with my curiosity about an old famous movie  :D

It took me all my life to watch it and I don't think I will rewatch it anytime soon (hey, at least I have to see the other two first), but it's nice to read about it and reflect back to it a bit more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6729 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:16 AM »
In case you couldn't tell, it's one of my favorite movies, and I have trouble not discussing it when it comes up.  I suspect Stadler's in the same boat.

But hey, the goal here is enlightenment.  I don't care so much about movies that others have watched; I want to know what they thought, get their impressions, and hopefully pick up some insight that in turn helps me to appreciate a movie more.

Don Vito Corleone is actually one of my role models.  Yeah, that's weird; a Mafia boss.  But it's his attitude.  A man who does not care for his family can never be a real man.  When Johnny came to him, crying about not getting the movie role, whining "What am I gonna do?" Vito slaps him and says "You can act like a man!"  Don't cry about it, do something!  That slap was ad-libbed by Brando, and Martino's surprised reaction is genuine.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6730 on: April 14, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »
Yeah, you're definitively into it if you know even the trivia such as the improvised slap  ;D

My biggest problem with the criminal world is that, even though they have genuine feelings and love for their families - heck, even Hitler had - they go to great lengths to make believe that they're living a respectable life and justify their action. See all this talk about "business" - a business is something legitimate, something you do to earn a living, killing people is not business, is a crime, and neither chopping horses' heads off to get someone a part in a movie is a legit way to do business, it's blackmail and coercion.

It surely makes for an interesting analysis of characters, and charismatic bad guys probably originated from Vito Corleone; the world is full of these examples, charming "bad" guys, be them fictional or real ones - look at Pablo Escobar, who was a criminal but at the same time, if only for the banal reason that he had so much money that he had to "throw it away" somehow, actually helped so many poor people, just like Don Corleone helped his friends.

So it'a fascinating world to witness, but I never forget for a moment that the sincere love for family and friends is built upon blood and tears.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6731 on: April 14, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
I see your point, but I disagree that just because something involves crime, it is not a business.  Organized crime is certainly a business.  Work is done, transactions are made, money is made.

They actually address this point, somewhat obliquely but nonetheless, in the conversation between Michael and Kay after Michael's return from Sicily.  He says that his father is just like any other important man, like a senator or congressman.  Kay says that that's naive; senators don't have people killed.  Michael just looks at her and says "Really?  Who's being naive here?"

I'd never say that Don Vito is "good" person.  I'm just saying that there are aspects to his philosophy that resonate with me.  There's the system, which works for most people, but if you're not one of those people, then you have no choice but to work outside the system.  And if someone threatened my family, or harmed them, then when I decide what to do about it, I would only briefly consider whether or not it's legal.  I might consider it a little longer if the stakes are higher, but I've been a criminal all my life -- most of us are, it's just a matter of degree -- so something being a crime is definitely not a dealbreaker.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6732 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
In case you couldn't tell, it's one of my favorite movies, and I have trouble not discussing it when it comes up.  I suspect Stadler's in the same boat.

Same here.

There's the system, which works for most people, but if you're not one of those people, then you have no choice but to work outside the system.

Getting way off topic here, but I'm going to push back on this. This mentality is bullshit. You always have a choice. Working a job, paying your taxes doesn't "work for you," so you can just steal from other people, kill those who get in your way or don't agree with you? Fuck that. Sorry for getting triggered there. The rest of your post I can get behind.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6733 on: April 14, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
Orbert, great posts regarding the Godfather films! I could discuss them all day as well . :hat

I totally agree about them not being your "typical" mob movie, ala Goodfellas (also one of my favorites); they are films about a family who just happen to be in the mafia.

I always loved the scene early in II when Frankie gets lippy with Michael about wanting the Rosato brothers dead. Michael manages to talk him down and correctly surmises that "the old man had too much wine" rather than holding it against him.  To make a Sopranos comparison, I was reminded of it in the Season 6 episode where Artie was struggling and smarted off to Tony about the new Italian restaurant and told him to, "see if they'll cook up that bland stuff for your shot-up pancreas."  Tony, realizing that Artie was struggling big time and hurting, let it go after the initial shock of being talked to like that (which you can see in Galdolfini's face for about two seconds) and tried to still give him good advice to help him.  That is the mark of a good boss, whether it is one in the mafia or in a regular job.

I also love the scene in II when Roth recounts the story to Michael about Moe Greene. Pacino's acting during the entire monologue is phenomenal...and he never says a word.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6734 on: April 14, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »
There's the system, which works for most people, but if you're not one of those people, then you have no choice but to work outside the system.

Getting way off topic here, but I'm going to push back on this. This mentality is bullshit. You always have a choice. Working a job, paying your taxes doesn't "work for you," so you can just steal from other people, kill those who get in your way or don't agree with you? Fuck that. Sorry for getting triggered there. The rest of your post I can get behind.

I never said anything about stealing and killing.  I'm not sure where you got that.  And I'm not talking about taking up organized crime because it pays better than McDonald's.  I'm talking about immigrants who are/were discriminated against and regularly treated as less than full-fledged citizens.  Did we watch the same movie?

The very opening scene states this theme clearly.  The funeral director Amerigo Bonasera ("America Is Good") comes to Don Vito because his daughter's been raped and beaten.  She's traumatized and scarred for life, quite literally.  The cops and the legal system let the punks who did it go with a slap on the wrist.  This is not justice.  The system has failed him.

Bonasera asks Don Vito to have the punks killed.  Don Vito will not do that.  That is not justice, that is revenge.  Bonasera's daughter still lives.  He even says to Tom that he won't do it, because they are not murderers.  Instead, he has men sent to beat the shit out of the punks, but not kill them.  That is justice.  An eye for an eye.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6735 on: April 14, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
Orbert, I am sorry I extrapolated to segments of our current society, where people turn to (sometimes violent) crime and use the justification "the system didn't work for them." I apologize for getting derailed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6736 on: April 14, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
No worries.  I overreacted.

I think I was trying to make a point about how morals can get slippery when you've tried to do things the "right" way, only to find the system stacked against you.  I get shit sometimes from people who wonder how a guy who many would say is evil can actually be a role model.  I was still thinking firmly in terms of the movie The Godfather, how within the world depicted in that film, Don Vito was considered a saint, even old-fashioned by others, but I can see how my statements don't really work in a general sense.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6737 on: April 14, 2020, 08:59:19 PM »
Some more movies I've watched lately

Rocketman- A perfectly cromulent sort of by the numbers "troubled musician" biopic with a very good performance by Taron Egerton.

Yesterday- I feel like they didn't do enough with what was on the surface a promising idea for a movie. Great reminder of how many killer songs are in the Beatles' catalog.

Brightburn- Another movie that didn't do quite enough with an interesting idea. Still some flashes of good execution, would watch a sequel.

Field of Dreams- A pleasant watch, though I did find it distracting how readily people got on board with seemingly ludicrous ideas. I feel like I'd also enjoy it more if I loved baseball more

Chinatown- A classic for a reason. Always a trip for me to go back and see young Jack Nicholson movies considering how most of what I've seen from him is stuff from the last 20-25 years.

Stripes- Don't know how it took me this long to see this considering that Ghostbusters is one of my absolute favorite movies. This must have been the extended cut and it felt a little bit bloated at over two hours running time. Still, Murray + Ramis + Reitman = win.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6738 on: April 15, 2020, 01:47:06 AM »
Was finally able to catch Parasite on streaming.

I normally go into highly acclaimed films like this with the mildest possible of expectations, but I gotta say, it definitely deserves the praise. I was somehow able to avoid any and all spoilers, and I'd say this is the best way to experience the film. It's a masterclass in suspense and unease and makes a lot of poignant observations on class disparity. Another thing I loved about it is how tonally consistent it is despite the legitimately funny moments juxtaposed with the shocking and visceral moments--it never felt out of place or so jarring that it took me out of it. Would definitely watch again.

I agree, it was surprising and unexpected. You change your idea of what the movie can be at least 2-3 times over the course of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6739 on: April 15, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
Yeah, you're definitively into it if you know even the trivia such as the improvised slap  ;D

My biggest problem with the criminal world is that, even though they have genuine feelings and love for their families - heck, even Hitler had - they go to great lengths to make believe that they're living a respectable life and justify their action. See all this talk about "business" - a business is something legitimate, something you do to earn a living, killing people is not business, is a crime, and neither chopping horses' heads off to get someone a part in a movie is a legit way to do business, it's blackmail and coercion.

It surely makes for an interesting analysis of characters, and charismatic bad guys probably originated from Vito Corleone; the world is full of these examples, charming "bad" guys, be them fictional or real ones - look at Pablo Escobar, who was a criminal but at the same time, if only for the banal reason that he had so much money that he had to "throw it away" somehow, actually helped so many poor people, just like Don Corleone helped his friends.

So it'a fascinating world to witness, but I never forget for a moment that the sincere love for family and friends is built upon blood and tears.

That was part of my point above though; in the early part of the (20th) century, in New York City, they WERE legitimate, at least in the eyes of the community.   Now, they're a bunch of hoodlums and ne'er-do-wells, but back in the day, they were almost like the neighborhood watch. They didn't deal drugs, or court the element, they ran numbers (find me a state that doesn't have a state lottery), they had sports gambling (at least here in the East Coast, no one from Maine to DC is more than three hours from a legit casino where you can bet sports), and they ran strip clubs/brothels (need I say more).

When Carlo roughed up Sonny's sister, and Sonny beat him with a garbage can (I always think of Oscar The Grouch when I see that scene) it was convenient for the story, but if that was a woman down the block, she did NOT call the police.  She would have called Tessio or Clemenza, and all things considered (unless the guy was one of them) the outcome was likely something similar. 

(You'll notice some similarities with my points above.  Though I don't know too many of the people themselves, I knew a fair amount of this before; I used to live on "Two Street" in Philly. I mummed down on 2nd and Tasker, and ate at Villa di Roma more times than I can count.  I even played softball down there for a couple years, though I don't remember "The Hit Men".)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6740 on: April 15, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
Well, you have a point in the end, if I remember correctly Vito Corleone was just shot because he didn't want to deal drugs and was happy with the "safest" ways to earn money on the side.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6741 on: April 16, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »

Chinatown- A classic for a reason. Always a trip for me to go back and see young Jack Nicholson movies considering how most of what I've seen from him is stuff from the last 20-25 years.

Stripes- Don't know how it took me this long to see this considering that Ghostbusters is one of my absolute favorite movies. This must have been the extended cut and it felt a little bit bloated at over two hours running time. Still, Murray + Ramis + Reitman = win.
Recently watched Chinatown, myself, and had the same reaction about Nicholson. It was cool to see him in his prime. I always think of him as more of a caricature than anything else, but in Chinatown he had the right mixture of flashy but believable. Great story, too. Not simple, but not too convoluted to follow. John Huston was great, and I'm a sucker for Faye Dunaway.

Stripes didn't really work for me. I like the idea of it, but every time it started to do something good it turned silly AF. The best thing it had going for it was Elmer Bernstein, who as he has done so many times before, completely stole the show. Warren Oates was also great.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6742 on: April 17, 2020, 05:58:18 AM »
I've been rewatching all the Indiana Jones movies over the last couple weeks. Raiders of the Last Ark and Last Crusade are both fantastic. Temple of Doom is decent. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is just ok (wasn't a big fan of the alien plot, I prefer the supernatural aspects of the original 3 movies).

I don't have high expectations for the 5th movie, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6743 on: April 17, 2020, 06:37:51 AM »
Dirty Dancing, last night. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6744 on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:10 AM »

I saw that movie for the first time last year. My only exposure to it prior was "no one puts baby in a corner" and that it was super romantic and full of dancing.

...did everyone just forget that MAJOR subplot about an abortion being performed? I mean, you'd think it'd be mentioned now and again.

Also that famous line was terrible and made no sense at all.

Didn't really dig the movie much outside of some of the performances.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6745 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »

I saw that movie for the first time last year. My only exposure to it prior was "no one puts baby in a corner" and that it was super romantic and full of dancing.

...did everyone just forget that MAJOR subplot about an abortion being performed? I mean, you'd think it'd be mentioned now and again.

Also that famous line was terrible and made no sense at all.

Didn't really dig the movie much outside of some of the performances.

Patrick Swayze hated that line. 

I was reading some "trivia" about the film, and there was a Jennifer Grey nude scene that tested horribly with the test audiences, but something like 30% of them didn't even get that "abortion" was involved. 

It's one of those movies that you just can't think too hard about; set in 1963, there is hardly a scene that doesn't have a song, a pair of clothing, a hairstyle that isn't out of context.   I'm a sucker for Patrick Swayze; he's a gouda and brie sandwich, but I like him.   

I am a big, BIG fan of Cynthia Rhodes (though she's way too skinny in that film).  She was also in the outstanding film "Runaway" with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons.   "Outstanding" might be a matter of debate. 

Online Adami

« Reply #6746 on: April 17, 2020, 06:49:32 AM »
Oh Patrick Swayze is awesome. And I always love me some Jerry Orbach. Just wish it wasn't such a poorly written script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6747 on: April 17, 2020, 07:24:18 AM »
I never thought Jennifer Grey was that hot.  Kinda cute I guess, in a very average way.  But Cynthia Rhodes was a babe.  I loved her in "Runaway".  Then she married Richard Marx (she was in some of his videos) and then disappeared.  IMDb says she retired from the biz to be a full-time mommy.  Apparently we have Richard Marx to thank for that, so Fuck You Very Much to Richard Marx.  He got to take her home and keep her.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6748 on: April 17, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
I never thought Jennifer Grey was that hot.  Kinda cute I guess, in a very average way.  But Cynthia Rhodes was a babe.  I loved her in "Runaway".  Then she married Richard Marx (she was in some of his videos) and then disappeared.  IMDb says she retired from the biz to be a full-time mommy.  Apparently we have Richard Marx to thank for that, so Fuck You Very Much to Richard Marx.  He got to take her home and keep her.

Then he dumped her for Daisy Fuentes.  Dude writes a couple cheesy love songs and thinks he's friggin' Frank Sinatra. 

(I know none of this to be true, other than he is, in fact, married to Daisy Fuentes at this time.)

Online Adami

« Reply #6749 on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

Then he dumped her for Daisy Fuentes.  Dude writes a couple cheesy love songs and thinks he's friggin' Frank Sinatra. 

(I know none of this to be true, other than he is, in fact, married to Daisy Fuentes at this time.)

What a dick, I much prefer his brother Karl.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6750 on: April 17, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »

Always an enjoyable watch. The sister's awful singing always makes me chuckle.

It's funny to watch now and think about how that dancing was considered "risque" in 1987.

Well, you have a point in the end, if I remember correctly Vito Corleone was just shot because he didn't want to deal drugs and was happy with the "safest" ways to earn money on the side.

Vito was shot because Sollozzo knew that Sonny would was hot for his deal.  Had Sonny not opened up his big yap at the meeting where Vito ultimately told Sollozzo no, the attempted hit on Vito likely does not happen.  I love that moment because the reactions of both Tom and Clemenza spoke volumes about how badly Sonny f'd up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6751 on: April 17, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »

Always an enjoyable watch. The sister's awful singing always makes me chuckle.

It's funny to watch now and think about how that dancing was considered "risque" in 1987.

My daughter was aghast that the movie was set in 1963, and yet the sister's yams were basically flopping in the breeze for most of the second half of the movie.  :) :)

I do know this, though:  every scene in the dancer's quarters was a memory.  Not me (I worked construction) but all my high school friends worked as counselors as a local YMCA and it was... let's say that the after-hours was one big party.  That was the time; young, no obligations outside of 9:00 to 5:00, no one to come home to, no one to answer to... man.  They worked just down the road from my construction site, and when it rained, or when my shift got off, I would sometimes meet up with them for drinks, and they were living the life. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6752 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »

Vito was shot because Sollozzo knew that Sonny would was hot for his deal.  Had Sonny not opened up his big yap at the meeting where Vito ultimately told Sollozzo no, the attempted hit on Vito likely does not happen.  I love that moment because the reactions of both Tom and Clemenza spoke volumes about how badly Sonny f'd up.

So it was both, really.  Don Vito didn't want to get into dealing drugs, and that was hampering the other families because the Corleone family had the cops and judges on the payroll.  Sonny opened his yap, and that's what sealed his father's fate.  Solozzo figured they take out The Godfather, Sonny takes over the family business, and then they deal with Sonny.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6753 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
Recently watched Chinatown, myself, and had the same reaction about Nicholson. It was cool to see him in his prime. I always think of him as more of a caricature than anything else, but in Chinatown he had the right mixture of flashy but believable. Great story, too. Not simple, but not too convoluted to follow. John Huston was great, and I'm a sucker for Faye Dunaway.

I was underwhelmed when I watched this many years ago. I've wanted ot check it out again with a fresh mind, but haven't cared enough to. I never liked Faye Dunaway. I didn't dislike her in a Mia Farrow/Laura Dern sorta way. But she's just always been sorta there when I see her on the screen.

Stripes didn't really work for me. I like the idea of it, but every time it started to do something good it turned silly AF. The best thing it had going for it was Elmer Bernstein, who as he has done so many times before, completely stole the show. Warren Oates was also great.

I also thought Stripes didn't deliver as it seems like it should have. I think you and I have gushed over Bernstein's work here before, so I'll just say "agreed" to your assessment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6754 on: April 17, 2020, 12:06:42 PM »

I was underwhelmed when I watched this many years ago. I've wanted ot check it out again with a fresh mind, but haven't cared enough to. I never liked Faye Dunaway. I didn't dislike her in a Mia Farrow/Laura Dern sorta way. But she's just always been sorta there when I see her on the screen.
Yet she's always there in great movies, and always plays her part well. I always rank Teri Garr as one of my very favorite actresses, and it's in part because she's wonderful in two of my very favorite movies (being cute doesn't hurt, either). Faye Dunaway is kind of the same. Also, Bonnie and Clyde was hardly just being there. She upstaged Warren Beatty. And on a side note, her genuine talent for bralessness also kicks her up a notch in my book. :lol

I also thought Stripes didn't deliver as it seems like it should have. I think you and I have gushed over Bernstein's work here before, so I'll just say "agreed" to your assessment.
You're a Peckinpah fan so you've probably have, but if you haven't seen Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia it's worth checking out for Warren Oates. Like Nicholson, it's cool to see the guy in his prime. It also has the famous clip of Robert Webber flattening the barfly with a solid elbow to the chin.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson