Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554712 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6650 on: March 28, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »
I tried to watch the new Zombieland movie, I turned off after 10mins. Just not my kind of movie.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6651 on: March 30, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »
I tried to watch the new Zombieland movie, I turned off after 10mins. Just not my kind of movie.
Did you like the first one?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6652 on: April 01, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »
The Aeronauts.

Nice movie, about the first meteorogical experiments with a balloon, but GOOD LORD the actual vertigo I felt in all those scenes up the air and with the protagonists having to work even outside of the basket. It was ok, and unusual - you don't get often to see movies entirely dedicated to an ascent into the air by a couple of scientists - but it's definitively not for people with vertigo  :D

I watched it last weekend.  My wife got bored and stopped after 20 minutes or so.  I thought it was pretty good.  There were a couple of balloon scenes that were a little wiggy, but not too bad.  I really liked Felicity Jones's character.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6653 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Tarentino, but a little bit different.  Typical awesome dialogue, a little bit of jumping around in timelines, but flashbacks are obvious and relate directly to what's going on in the present, so even those were more conventional.  The ultra-violence was all saved for the very end, which is also different for him.  But man, once it starts... whoa!

I was reading some early reviews of this, and a lot of people had trouble with the pacing.  Lots of shots of Leo and Brad driving around Hollywood in Michael Madsen's yellow Cadillac.  I had no issue with the pacing.  I thought it conveyed exactly the mood he wanted, which is what I wanted.

Similar to Inglorious Basterds in that it offers an alternate reality.  A mix of real and fictitious characters, often interacting directly, and then the ending is not what really happened, but something plausible (within the Tarentino universe anyway), and presumably what people would have preferred.  I knew some of the background surrounding the Sharon Tate murder and the Manson family shit, but not all, so there were some scenes which played differently for me.  I found that interesting, and the scenes were no less tense for me.  Just different.

I watched it and kept it on the DVR to watch again, then my wife saw it and told me she wanted to watch it, which surprised me because she usually doesn't care for Tarentino.  But she'd heard that this one was different, which it is, plus it won some Oscars and stuff, so we'll watch it together at some point.  As with all Tarentino films, I'm sure I'll like it even more the next time.

Holy shit, Margo Robbie is gorgeous!  But you knew that already.  So did I.  Still, holy shit!

Five flamethrowers out of five.  Would watch again, and definitely will.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6654 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

Utter garbage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6655 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »

Tarentino, but a little bit different.  Typical awesome dialogue, a little bit of jumping around in timelines, but flashbacks are obvious and relate directly to what's going on in the present, so even those were more conventional.  The ultra-violence was all saved for the very end, which is also different for him.  But man, once it starts... whoa!

I was reading some early reviews of this, and a lot of people had trouble with the pacing.  Lots of shots of Leo and Brad driving around Hollywood in Michael Madsen's yellow Cadillac.  I had no issue with the pacing.  I thought it conveyed exactly the mood he wanted, which is what I wanted.

Similar to Inglorious Basterds in that it offers an alternate reality.  A mix of real and fictitious characters, often interacting directly, and then the ending is not what really happened, but something plausible (within the Tarentino universe anyway), and presumably what people would have preferred.  I knew some of the background surrounding the Sharon Tate murder and the Manson family shit, but not all, so there were some scenes which played differently for me.  I found that interesting, and the scenes were no less tense for me.  Just different.

I watched it and kept it on the DVR to watch again, then my wife saw it and told me she wanted to watch it, which surprised me because she usually doesn't care for Tarentino.  But she'd heard that this one was different, which it is, plus it won some Oscars and stuff, so we'll watch it together at some point.  As with all Tarentino films, I'm sure I'll like it even more the next time.

Holy shit, Margo Robbie is gorgeous!  But you knew that already.  So did I.  Still, holy shit!

See, I know more than I should about the Tate murders and so for me, the alternate reality was jarring.  I also thought there was a sort of "Forrest Gump-ian" feel to the scenes at Spahn's Ranch; I didn't then (and still don't) quite know what to make of those.   Leo's always good, Brad I can take or leave, and Margot Robbie makes my knees weak.   Three and a half flamethrowers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6656 on: April 01, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
My latest was Passengers, with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.

Not a huge fan of either actor, and I was thrown off at first by the ship itself.  Having been on cruise ships before and a student of the space program today, I was blown away with the degree of open, wasted space on that ship.   I got into the story though; I felt for both characters, both before and after the "critical event", and while Laurence Fishburn was something of a deus ex machina, it was a good story, and up till the very end, it was engaging.   I did think the very end - like the last two, three minutes could have been a shade more engaging - it was confusingly vague, not evocatively vague - but it was a good movie. 

Stealing Orbert's ratings, I give it four out of five flamethrowers.   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6657 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

Utter garbage.

You, sir, are insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6658 on: April 01, 2020, 03:01:40 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

Utter garbage.

You, sir, are insane.

+1

Worthy of the Oscar.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6659 on: April 01, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6660 on: April 01, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

Utter garbage.

You, sir, are insane.
If it makes me insane for not liking that movie, then yea, proudly.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6661 on: April 01, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
Jojo Rabbit

Utter garbage.

You, sir, are insane.
If it makes me insane for not liking that movie, then yea, proudly.  ;D

I read the first several paragraphs of the Wikipedia article and feel hard pressed to think of something I'd want to watch less.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6662 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »

See, I know more than I should about the Tate murders and so for me, the alternate reality was jarring.  I also thought there was a sort of "Forrest Gump-ian" feel to the scenes at Spahn's Ranch; I didn't then (and still don't) quite know what to make of those.   Leo's always good, Brad I can take or leave, and Margot Robbie makes my knees weak.   Three and a half flamethrowers.

I had no idea that Spahn's Ranch is where they hung out.  I just figured it was what Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt's character) thought it was; a bunch of hippies hanging out at the property and apparently taking advantage of the old man.  So there was all this tension I didn't quite understand as he poked around and tried to get some information, but it was obvious that there was something going on there, so I just figured that that's what it was.  As I said, it still worked for me, just differently.

I liked the "alternate reality" ending.  I know the real one, but we could see that things had taken a turn and weren't heading that way.  I think QT was giving people the ending we wished would have happened, or at least a nice alternative.  Rick mentioned earlier in the movie that he was "one pool party away" from being back in the game, so his character got a happy ending, too.

I can understand your position, though.  For the movie to really work, you need to know a certain amount of background to the Tate/Manson stuff.  But if you know too much, it's just distracting.  I guess I fell into the sweet spot, as most people did.

One other thing a lot of reviews didn't like was that it was never clarified whether or not Cliff killed his wife.  That's the whole point!  We saw in the flashback that they were on a boat, and her name was Natalie.  Everyone suspects that Robert Wagner killed Natalie Wood, but it will likely never be proven one way or another.  This is the exact same thing.  Everyone "knows" about it, but no one really knows for sure.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6663 on: April 02, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
Been a while since I saw it but I think I did actually. I can't remember disliking it though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6664 on: April 02, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »
Been a while since I saw it but I think I did actually. I can't remember disliking it though.
I ask because I can't imagine anyone that liked the first one saying that the second is "not my kind of movie".

If you didn't watch and like the first one, I would have been surprised that you even watched the second one.  But that's just me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6665 on: April 02, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
I ask because I can't imagine anyone that liked the first one saying that the second is "not my kind of movie".

If you didn't watch and like the first one, I would have been surprised that you even watched the second one.  But that's just me.
Since I can't remember much about the first movie I went in with no expectations. I kind of knew what to expect though but I guess I just didn't feel like watching that kind of movie after all. :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6666 on: April 02, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
The first one came out 10 years ago or something too. Sometimes we enjoy a certain style and then just change. So it's possible he may have enjoyed the first one 10 years ago and wouldn't even enjoy that one if it came out today. I liked them both, but definitely thought the second one was a bit drawn out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6667 on: April 03, 2020, 09:47:35 AM »
Agreed. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6668 on: April 03, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
Strange Days (1995)

Very good movie.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6669 on: April 03, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
Been spending some quarantine time trying to watch movies that have slipped through the cracks for me.

Saving Private Ryan- Holy hell that first 25 minutes!

Blade Runner- This was... fine? Don't know that I quite get the reputation this movie has.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- Not my favorite Tarantino movie, but still very solid.

Forrest Gump- A little schmaltyz, but a pleasant way to spend a couple hours nonetheless.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6670 on: April 04, 2020, 04:31:27 AM »
I'm on a bit of an english roll, since I just watched the first season of The Crown, so I catched up with a movie I never seen back in the day: The King's Speech.

It was quite good overall, for sure they took some liberties but all in all it was great and poignant. What I don't like is how in these kind of movies they have to wink at the audience a lot: we have the future King George calling by name his daughters first chance he gets (d'uh, of course we have to be reminded that yes, that one's Elizabeth II), his father saying "your brother will ruin the monarchy in a year" (he lasted that long on the throne before abdicating), having Churchill suggesting Prince Albert to call himself George and pointing out (or it was Geoffrey Rush?) that maybe Elizabeth would have been queen after him.... anyway, minor details, the movie was good and I can see how it got all the accolades it got.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6671 on: April 04, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
Blade Runner- This was... fine? Don't know that I quite get the reputation this movie has.

I was the same. I liked it.....But, I think that being we were SO late to the game in watching it some of the 'wow' factor was gone. When that thing came out it was ahead of its time. Watching it now there's nothing real groundbreaking about it. Cool story....very neat 'world' and imagery but I think the luster would have been greater had I seen it back in the day.

The Sequel is pretty killer as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6672 on: April 04, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »
Saw Jumanji 2: The Next Level.

Another home run, just as funny and clever as the "original". Almost ruined by the very last and pointless scene, but it was just as funny as the reboot of 3 years ago.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6673 on: April 05, 2020, 05:57:19 AM »

I was the same. I liked it.....But, I think that being we were SO late to the game in watching it some of the 'wow' factor was gone. When that thing came out it was ahead of its time. Watching it now there's nothing real groundbreaking about it. Cool story....very neat 'world' and imagery but I think the luster would have been greater had I seen it back in the day.

The Sequel is pretty killer as well.

I'm a worshiper.

I think you almost need to be, well...of a certain age, to get the reputation. The mood of hopelessness during the decade of excess, the obvious 80's fashions taken to disturbing extremes, the slow burn nior in the age of breakneck videos in bright colors, loneliness and despair during the dance party generation, and horrific sexual overtones during the infancy of the HIV/AIDS scare. This movie spoke directly to our dreams for society, progress, wealth, and sexual conquest, then turned them back on us. Yes, the movie is hyperbolic--an extreme--but it did make a valid point, with style. Mixed in is a good mystery that ultimately reveals a potential bigger mystery unsolved. Some of the acting performances are well done too, although admittedly, seem a bit dated now.

Not trying to convince anyone with all this.  :)  I'm just trying to articulate why this movie has its reputation with a certain age group. Namely, mine.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6674 on: April 05, 2020, 02:47:51 PM »
The Gentlemen

Guy Ritchie's best movie in over 10 years. 9/10

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6675 on: April 05, 2020, 03:02:07 PM »
This weekend I saw:

1917 - Had seen before in cinema but re-watched at home. Great movie that's very impressive on a technical level, and if you are into war-movies or just good filmmaking (with lots of long shots) it's really great and even though it wasn't one of my absolute favorites of last year, I think it would still make my top10 of the year or so. Very solid film.

The Art of Self Defense - Jesse Eisenberg plays a very Jesse Eisenberg-y character who gets assaulted one night and after he recovers in the hospital decides to learn self karate. Alessandro Nivola is great as the sensei of the dojo and overall this movie was pretty enjoyable. I'll knock off a point or two because I did see some plot elements coming from the start but there are some funny jokes and some solid performances.

The Nightingale - Period drama about a young woman who goes on a revenge journey after everything is taken from her and made by the same director who made The Babadook - one of the great horror movies of the last few years. I liked this one even more. The girl in the main role did really well.

21 Bridges - Kinda mediocre cop movie that actually features some very good actors but overall the script just felt a bit lacking. Like you have a cast that includes Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther himself) as the lead with JK Simmons in a fairly big role yet the movie itself felt like it could have been a Steven Seagal movie from the 90s. Also it was only 90 minutes long which is quite noteworthy for a movie with a cast like this one. Felt like they trimmed out all the 'fat' which is typically the scenes that add flavor to the movie, kept the story bare bones and unfortunately some of the twists were easy to spot a mile away. Still, an OK cop movie if you are into those.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6676 on: April 05, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »
The Professionals (1966) -- Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, and Jack Palance as a Mexican. Doesn't get much manlier than that.
Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977) -- Burt Lancaster as a pissed off veteran who commandeers a Titan missile silo and threatens to start WWIII. A Robert Aldrich film, so lots of tension.
North By Northwest (1959) --  Great Hitchcock thriller.
Three Days of the Condor (1975) -- Loved it. Great spy thriller, and Redford/Dunaway were great as always. Also the recently departed Max Von Sydow, as a mild mannered assassin.
Hardcore (1979) -- TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF! Gotta love George C. Scott, and he did a great job.

Sadly, By Dawn's Early Light isn't showing up anywhere. I'd like to watch it as a spiritual followup to Twilight's Last Gleaming. Probably settle for Sum of all Fears, instead.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6677 on: April 05, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Oh man.  Hardcore was a movie I know well but forgot about.

HBO as a kid was a playland for someone who loved movies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6678 on: April 05, 2020, 10:12:59 PM »
Was browsing Amazon Prime tonight and saw they added 'Never Surrender', the Galaxy Quest documentary.

Absolutely loved it. Had trouble keeping my eyes dry when they started discussing Alan Rickman.

If you are a fan of the movie I highly suggest watching this doc.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6679 on: April 06, 2020, 07:21:33 AM »
John Tucker Must Die
Hobbes And Shaw

My daughter bought a poster with 100 of the greatest movies of all time, but in random order and with a scratch off covering.  We're going to randomly scratch off the blocks and watch the movie over the next weeks of the quarantine.  Should be fun, when it gets here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6680 on: April 06, 2020, 08:04:13 AM »
My daughter bought a poster with 100 of the greatest movies of all time, but in random order and with a scratch off covering.  We're going to randomly scratch off the blocks and watch the movie over the next weeks of the quarantine.  Should be fun, when it gets here.
That sounds awesome!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6681 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »
The Call Of The Wild (2020)

A very good movie, with great landscapes and visuals. And of course Harrison Ford never disappoints. I don't think I've read the book it's based on.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6682 on: April 06, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »
Point Break (1991)

Good action movie. 6/10

Offline Volante99

« Reply #6683 on: April 06, 2020, 04:34:19 PM »
Targets (1968) - directorial debut of Peter Bogdanovich, and Roger Corman production. Starring Boris Karloff in his final major appearance.

Not very good but an interesting look on the 60s take of mass shootings and the issue of gun control.

I’ve been going back and watching Criterion Collection movies.

Also watched “Late Spring” by Ozu.

Hasn’t aged well at all- basically a submissive Japanese woman is forced into marriage because she’s 27 and getting to be an old hen in that society. She rebels against it not because of some personal aspirations or idea of feminism but because she enjoys serving her father. Bleck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:15:30 PM by Volante99 »

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6684 on: April 06, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Targets was really impressive with what he had to work with. Karloff even worked a few extra days for free because he was impressed with the work. The sniper scene is one of the most underrated disturbing movie moments. The ending is a bit goofy I'll admit but overall a very strong swan song for one of my favorite actors.

I just watched The Great Silence (1968), I heard nothing but good things about this one and I loved Django which was made by the same director. I wish there were more westerns set in winter as I think it really adds to the atmosphere. It's a really dark and bleak movie with an awesome performance by one of my favorite psychopaths Klaus Kinski. Also a killer score as usual from Ennio Morricone.
Do you read Sutter Cane?