Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560130 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6615 on: March 01, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »
Frozen II.

Kinda ok. No memorable songs like Let it Go, but at least they tried something different and unusual with the story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6616 on: March 01, 2020, 04:41:16 AM »
Jumanji: The Next Level

I really enjoyed the previous one, and this one didn't disappoint either. Nice adventure movie with lots of humor. I haven't seen the very first one though, with Robin Williams, from the 90s.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6617 on: March 01, 2020, 04:53:24 AM »
Well, you should! it won't spoil the experience of the first sequel, since the video game angle made it clever. But it was quite good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6618 on: March 01, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »
Invisible Man

Pretty decent. This is old school slow burn suspense/thriller, which I like a lot. All the scenes have time to breath, and it slowly ramps itself up. Liked everything up until the ending, which I'm conflicted over.

Would have preferred it if:

She just caught him admitting things and he goes to jail, rather then her becoming a murderer. Or If she killed him in self defense or something, but he was just sitting there as she slit his throat. That felt very out of character for her character and I can't get behind a murderer. But whatever. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6619 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:25 AM »
ZZ Top:  That Little Old Band from Texas

New to Netflix yesterday, it's a documentary from Banger Films (Sam Dunn / Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Rush / Beyond the Lighted State, Iron Maiden / Flight 666) about the early years of ZZ Top.  It was fun to watch, but I'm a fan of their 80's material and that era of the band was only covered quickly during the last 15 minutes of the hour and a half film. 

To me, their rise to superstardom in the 80's is more interesting than how the three guys met and started playing early on, so I'd rather have seen more of that.  But Sam Dunn is a great documentary filmmaker and I love a lot of his films about bands.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6620 on: March 07, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
Downfall. Bruno Ganz Hitler's last days in the bunker.

Absolutely majestic, captivating and gripping even though it's 2 hours and a half long. A perfect insight into the sheer lunacy of Nazi Germany and especially his deranged leader, as he was falling apart mentally and physically during the last months of war.

The hardest thing to watch was seeing Goebbels' six children being poisoned. Horrible scene and the perfect example of the fanaticism of the nazists.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6621 on: March 09, 2020, 02:30:31 AM »
Planet Of The Apes (1968)

Yes, the one with Charlton Heston. No, I hadn't seen it before (or any of the ape movies). It was quite good, better than expected. Perhaps I'll check out the other ones later.

The Prince Of Egypt (1998)

Great movie, based on the book of Exodus. Stunning animations, fine voice acting, nice songs. I have to admit I wasn't that knowledgeable about the story of Moses and Rameses before.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6622 on: March 09, 2020, 07:34:53 AM »
Planet Of The Apes (1968)

Yes, the one with Charlton Heston. No, I hadn't seen it before (or any of the ape movies). It was quite good, better than expected. Perhaps I'll check out the other ones later.

I really enjoyed Beneath the planet of the apes AKA the 2nd one, but after that it gets REAL crazy. Like Cornelius and Zira somehow time travel back to current day earth and it gets wild  :lol

Part 4 is ok. Decent concept, just wasn't very into it. Only watched once

Part 5 is like some cheap made for tv movie  :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6623 on: March 10, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
The Irishman

Wow, very good (as expected), but Jesus, that's a long movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6624 on: March 10, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
The Irishman

Watched an ex mob boss talk about that movie. Said it was insanely inaccurate. Really focused on the restaurant hit job. Said that's exactly how it was done but not by the guy, similar to Hoffa. Dude seemed pretty positive DeNiro's guy didn't kill Hoffa.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6625 on: March 10, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
The Irishman

Watched an ex mob boss talk about that movie. Said it was insanely inaccurate. Really focused on the restaurant hit job. Said that's exactly how it was done but not by the guy, similar to Hoffa. Dude seemed pretty positive DeNiro's guy didn't kill Hoffa.

Can you link me? I want to watch this. I watched a former jewel thief talk about the heists in GTA5 as he watched them and thought that was pretty fun :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

« Reply #6626 on: March 10, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/_HZbkdEggHI

https://youtu.be/nuWDXoSe9Vo

He also reviews a bunch of other mob stuff. Interesting stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6627 on: March 10, 2020, 04:47:32 PM »
Thank you!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6628 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
Onward

A fun Pixar movie. Definitely hit some of the right notes, and was a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me as a father. Middle of the road Pixar movie. Better than the worst, but nowhere near as good as the best.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6629 on: March 11, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
Joker. Terrific
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6630 on: March 11, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »
It's Kind of a Funny Story

Crap.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6631 on: March 13, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »
Parasite.

A dark comedy that I didn't expect to turn so dark. Not sure it was Oscar material, but it was quite a ride.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6632 on: March 13, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
Repulsion (1965)

Another crap.

Online Adami

« Reply #6633 on: March 13, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »
Repulsion (1965)

Another crap.

I'm gonna suggest maybe watching better movies?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6634 on: March 13, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »
Repulsion (1965)

Another crap.

Both of these were highly rated and the second one is liked by a few people whose taste I respect. And besides that.. you can't really know if a movie is good or not until you watch it. Unless you are watching super-hero blockbuster bullshit, of course.  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #6635 on: March 13, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »
Repulsion (1965)

Another crap.

Both of these were highly rated and the second one is liked by a few people whose taste I respect. And besides that.. you can't really know if a movie is good or not until you watch it. Unless you are watching super-hero blockbuster bullshit, of course.  ;D

Ah, so you have bad taste.  :biggrin:

I hope you find a non-crap movie!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6636 on: March 13, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »
Well, I have been watching a lot of Kurosawa lately and he doesn't disappoint me. I rather get back and watch the rest of his movies.  :metal

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6637 on: March 21, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »
We watched Richard Jewell last night.  Eastwood is a master at the slow build of a story.  At first I was getting a bit bored, but damn if I wasn't completely hooked by the end.  Masterful performances by Kathy Bates, Paul Walter Hauser, and Sam Rockwell.

Weird aside - there is a scene where Jewell and his mother are enjoying a Kenny Rogers concert at the park a couple of days before the bombing.  I'm thinking to myself...'huh, Kenny Rogers.  I haven't thought about him in ages.'  Then this morning I learn he died.   :-X
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6638 on: March 21, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
The Aeronauts.

Nice movie, about the first meteorogical experiments with a balloon, but GOOD LORD the actual vertigo I felt in all those scenes up the air and with the protagonists having to work even outside of the basket. It was ok, and unusual - you don't get often to see movies entirely dedicated to an ascent into the air by a couple of scientists - but it's definitively not for people with vertigo  :D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6639 on: March 25, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »
My Bloody Valentine 81

One of, if not the best, of the 80s horror movies

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6640 on: March 26, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »
I just saw Dunkirk.

Holy crap, what a masterful movie. Intense and emotional.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6641 on: March 26, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
I just saw Dunkirk.

I had such a brainfart during it that, even though it was clearly spelled in writing at the beginning of the movie, I had a hard time following the three different timelines.

Maybe one day I should rewatch it, understanding better the structure of the movie and even what Dunkirk represented in WWII, at the time of my first viewing I have to admit it was one of the things I remember the least about WWII.

Funny thing, one could watch the near entirety of Darkest Hour, stop right before the end, watch Dunkirk, and then go back for the ending of Darkest Hour to see Churchill giving his Iron Maiden speech.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6642 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
I just saw Dunkirk.

Seeing it in IMAX upon release was something special.  I too had a bit of a problem at first following the timelines, but eventually figured it out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6643 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
X-Men: Dark Phoenix

2 hours I will never get back again.  Ye gods, what an awful film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #6644 on: March 27, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »

It is the only X-Men film I have not seen and have no desire to see. And I'm a completionist.

It joins the ranks of Elektra and the Ghost Rider films as the only Marvel movies I've never seen and likely will never see (not counting the horrible pre-blade ones).

Edit: Also the Punisher movies. Never seen those.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:23:13 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6645 on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
I watched it on a flight home back in January.  Good lord was it terrible.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6646 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:43 AM »
I thought it was entertaining enough, but certainly the worst of the X-Men films.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6647 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »

It is the only X-Men film I have not seen and have no desire to see. And I'm a completionist.

It joins the ranks of Elektra and the Ghost Rider films as the only Marvel movies I've never seen and likely will never see (not counting the horrible pre-blade ones).

The Ghost Rider and Punisher films are not great, to say the least.

However, I enjoyed them immensely more than any of the X-Men films (other than Logan).

Online Adami

« Reply #6648 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »

The Ghost Rider and Punisher films are not great, to say the least.

However, I enjoyed them immensely more than any of the X-Men films (other than Logan).

See, I enjoyed the first two X-Men films, despite their immense flaws. I did not care for X3 at all, and really only liked a small part of First Class. I mostly enjoyed Days of Future Past. The Wolverine had its good moments as well. Logan is amazing obviously. Apocalypse was so terrible that I didn't bother with Dark Phoenix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6649 on: March 27, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »
It will be interesting to see what Marvel can do with them, whenever they get around to it.

But I love that they appear to be in no rush to do so.