Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 553130 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6440 on: November 12, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
Escape Room, and it was soooo bad  :lol

On paper it seems like a cool idea. People go to do an escape room but then it turns into life or death escape. It gets super contrived and ridiculous and I was rolling my eyes by the end though. Its like Cube mixed with Saw mixed with Hostel and it just ended up being underwhelming.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6441 on: November 14, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »
Commando

Pretty much the quintessential 80s action movie!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6442 on: November 14, 2019, 04:20:06 AM »
JOKER. Finally. Brilliant.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6443 on: November 15, 2019, 02:39:35 AM »
Doctor Sleep.

Very different compared to "The Shining" by Stanley Kubrick. I still enjoyed it very much :tup. Much more of a Psychological thriller than a horror movie.

Ewan McGregor and the child actress delivered great performances throughout, and Rebecca Ferguson was both terrifying and smoking hot as the villain. :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6444 on: November 15, 2019, 07:30:52 AM »
Doctor Sleep.

Very different compared to "The Shining" by Stanley Kubrick. I still enjoyed it very much :tup. Much more of a Psychological thriller than a horror movie.

Ewan McGregor and the child actress delivered great performances throughout, and Rebecca Ferguson was both terrifying and smoking hot as the villain. :lol
Saw this yesterday. I agree with everything you said.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6445 on: November 15, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »

Parasite

Damn this was better than what I expected from the guy that directed Snowpiercer, Okja and The Host. Basically an unemployed low class family tries to trick a rich family in hiring them individually for different jobs at the house, not knowing they are related. Starts off very funny, and slowly gets darker, dramatic, and absolutely bananas. One of the most hyped films of the year, for a good reason, and a very relevant one in 2019 for its themes. 4.5/5

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6446 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
The Elephant Man.

Wanted to see it for a while, I finally checked this classic off the list. Haunting and touching, with a young Anthony Hopkins and an impressive John Hurt as the titular disfigured "Elephant man". Great movie, that makes you really feel for Joseph Merrick. Worth a watch, definitively.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6447 on: November 17, 2019, 07:06:20 AM »
Ford vs. Ferrari
JoJo Rabbit

Both were great! Lots of fun with both of them.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6448 on: November 17, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »
The Good Liar

Went to the cinema for the first time in, like, five years I think? When did the second Hobbit movie came out? That was my last time in the cinema. Anyway, the movie wasn't quite what I expected and I guess it was alright? I went mostly to watch Ian McKellen perform and wasn't disappointed in that regard, loved him in the role. Honestly I just enjoyed the experience, I took some time to find a theater which shows films with the original sound (without Russian overdubs) and with subtitles and this enhanced the whole thing immensely. It's also kinda hilarious, there was a (fairly funny) Putin joke in the film and it was translated into a football joke in the subtitles. :lol

So yeah, the movie is alright but nothing more, I really enjoyed the evening though. Going to see Doctor Sleep next week there I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6449 on: November 17, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
The Elephant Man.

Wanted to see it for a while, I finally checked this classic off the list. Haunting and touching, with a young Anthony Hopkins and an impressive John Hurt as the titular disfigured "Elephant man". Great movie, that makes you really feel for Joseph Merrick. Worth a watch, definitively.
This is definitely my favorite Lynch film, deeply moving, and the theater sequence is just mesmerizing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6450 on: November 17, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
The original Dumbo. 

Last night, the wife and I watched the Tim Burton version on D+, and she happened to mention that she had never seen the original, so I made her watch it tonight.

I had not seen it in several years, and while I was willing to excuse Burton's version as just being a completely different film on every level (I'm a big fan of Burton, so I try to give him a pass wherever I can) I was still amazed at how a 70 min movie did a MILLION times better job of establishing the emotional relationship between Dumbo and his mother.   

Because I'm a Burton apologist, I blame the script instead of the director.  I understand why they had to re-write everything, but they completely failed to capture the heart of the original.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6451 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »
That song when mom is in the cage wagon and gets to hold Dumbo and rock him makes me cry every time.

Every time.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6452 on: November 18, 2019, 06:48:38 AM »
Terminator: Dark Fate

I liked it.

I thought Mackenzie Davis did a great job of being appealingly strong and oddly scary at the same time. Arnold, and Linda were great. I wasn't completely sold on Natalia Reyes (Dani) as another timelines equivalent of John Connor. Her big "leader of the resistance" moment in Graces flashback didn't seem a natural fit for Natalia.

The action was very tight (even if there was a little too much), the effects were cool, and Rev-9 is completely badass, both at infiltration and violence.

I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6453 on: November 23, 2019, 06:51:56 AM »
Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Meh. It was all over the place. It had a weird and encompassing array of actors seen everywhere else... oh look there's Eleven! OMG there's always Tywin Lannister! and when did Richard Hendricks from Silicon Valley entered Monarch?

With such movies, which are a giant and expensive excuse for doing the 200 million dollars version of what we were all doing as kids (sitting on the bed or on the floor with toys in our hand and making fighting and explosion noises with our mouth), you have to strike a balance between "dumb" fight, and something that resembles a plot that could be very serious or very complicated, or both.... and I'm not sure this movie found that sweet spot between "Lol monsters fighting" and "legit action movie". At a certain point I zoned out and just watched monsters wrecking stuff and kicked each other's asses.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6454 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »
The Good Liar

Went to the cinema for the first time in, like, five years I think? When did the second Hobbit movie came out? That was my last time in the cinema. Anyway, the movie wasn't quite what I expected and I guess it was alright? I went mostly to watch Ian McKellen perform and wasn't disappointed in that regard, loved him in the role. Honestly I just enjoyed the experience, I took some time to find a theater which shows films with the original sound (without Russian overdubs) and with subtitles and this enhanced the whole thing immensely. It's also kinda hilarious, there was a (fairly funny) Putin joke in the film and it was translated into a football joke in the subtitles. :lol

So yeah, the movie is alright but nothing more, I really enjoyed the evening though. Going to see Doctor Sleep next week there I think.
I was hoping for better from this movie as well. It was just OK.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Meh. It was all over the place. It had a weird and encompassing array of actors seen everywhere else... oh look there's Eleven! OMG there's always Tywin Lannister! and when did Richard Hendricks from Silicon Valley entered Monarch?

With such movies, which are a giant and expensive excuse for doing the 200 million dollars version of what we were all doing as kids (sitting on the bed or on the floor with toys in our hand and making fighting and explosion noises with our mouth), you have to strike a balance between "dumb" fight, and something that resembles a plot that could be very serious or very complicated, or both.... and I'm not sure this movie found that sweet spot between "Lol monsters fighting" and "legit action movie". At a certain point I zoned out and just watched monsters wrecking stuff and kicked each other's asses.
Yeah, the human plot of that movie was pretty dumb, but the monsters fighting were great!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6455 on: November 23, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
That's not a whole lot different from the original Japanese monster flicks, though.  I remember watching the original Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, etc., when I was a kid and thinking they were so awesome.  I've tried to watch them as an adult and am blown away by how much plot and story there is, how many long minutes of screen time there are with the humans arguing and dealing with other stuff, all while giant monsters are not on screen fighting.  And they say kids have a shorter attention span.  If I'm watching a movie about giant monsters fighting, I don't want to sit there and watch humans argue for half and hour between giant monster fights.

It's probably impossible to balance it anyway.  Some people would appreciate some kind of cohesive plot, most really just want to watch the giant monsters fight.  If I sit more than ten minutes watching humans and no giant monsters, I'm ready to switch to something else.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6456 on: November 23, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
I just watched an awesome documentary on Netflix about the failed music Fyre festival. Its called Fyre: the greatest party that never happened.

Basically, people were promised an incredible music festival in the Bahamas and when people got there it was a complete shit show and clusterfuck and this doc goes over everything from beginning to end, and its mental.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6457 on: November 24, 2019, 04:02:39 AM »
I just watched an awesome documentary on Netflix about the failed music Fyre festival. Its called Fyre: the greatest party that never happened.

Basically, people were promised an incredible music festival in the Bahamas and when people got there it was a complete shit show and clusterfuck and this doc goes over everything from beginning to end, and its mental.

Sounds interesting, everyone loves a good clusterfuck  :D

Another magnificent Netflix movie is IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, a sci-fi thriller that follows a series of weird murders happening over time. It's best watched as a surprise without knowing too many details, so knowing there's some sci-fi is all one should need to know. It was really good and put an uusual spin on a sci-fi trope. Also, there's Michael C. Hall and it's always nice seeing Dexter around.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6458 on: November 24, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
Eyes wide shut

I want to love this movie so much, but I don't like it at all and its the only Kubrick film that I don't enjoy. Its so drawn out, but doesn't have a satisfying resolution. I do really enjoy watching the analysis videos on it though. They are a nice rabbit hole to go down. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6459 on: November 24, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
Nightmare Before Christmas

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6460 on: November 24, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »
Toy Story 2

Hadn't seen it since it first released 20 years ago.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6461 on: November 25, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »

Parasite

Damn this was better than what I expected from the guy that directed Snowpiercer, Okja and The Host. Basically an unemployed low class family tries to trick a rich family in hiring them individually for different jobs at the house, not knowing they are related. Starts off very funny, and slowly gets darker, dramatic, and absolutely bananas. One of the most hyped films of the year, for a good reason, and a very relevant one in 2019 for its themes. 4.5/5
For me this is by far the best movie of the year.  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6462 on: November 27, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
On Netflix, Martin Scorsese's The Irishman just came out.

Its really a let down. I anticipated this thing for MONTHS and its slow as hell. There absolutely NO reason it had to be 3 and a half hours. The whole time I'm like "this could be cut", "This could be trimmed down". It just goes on and on.

Its sooo lethargic and tired. It just meanders. Geriatric Pesci and Geriatric de Niro have no wind in their sails. The performances are pretty dull with the exception of Pacino who pretty much plays Pacino.

A film like Goodfellas snaps with its energy and draws you in. Its almost hypnotic. Its also a long film, but the run time just flies by. Not with the Irishman. You feel every last minute.

There is no focus, barley any progression. It just wanders around in time. I feel like this could be a real decent 2 and half a hour film if you tightened it up and cut it down, but it is what it is.

Watch it if you want, but it was just ok.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6463 on: November 27, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
Never Surrender, a Galaxy Quest Documentary by Screen Junkies.

I loved this thing. Galaxy Quest is such a fantastic movie, and this was a very fitting documentary. They managed to interview all of the surviving actors, along with Will Wheaton, Brent Spiner, Greg Berlanti, Damon Lindelof etc. So you get some really fantastic bits of info and it's a huge love letter to the movie, to the fans, to being a fan of something in general etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6464 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
I never 'got' Galaxy Quest. But I also don't like Star Trek so I've sadly never seen what's so great about that movie. :(

The Irishman is on Netflix today - will be watching that tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6465 on: November 27, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
On Netflix, Martin Scorsese's The Irishman just came out.

Its really a let down. I anticipated this thing for MONTHS and its slow as hell. There absolutely NO reason it had to be 3 and a half hours. The whole time I'm like "this could be cut", "This could be trimmed down". It just goes on and on.

Its sooo lethargic and tired. It just meanders. Geriatric Pesci and Geriatric de Niro have no wind in their sails. The performances are pretty dull with the exception of Pacino who pretty much plays Pacino.

A film like Goodfellas snaps with its energy and draws you in. Its almost hypnotic. Its also a long film, but the run time just flies by. Not with the Irishman. You feel every last minute.

There is no focus, barley any progression. It just wanders around in time. I feel like this could be a real decent 2 and half a hour film if you tightened it up and cut it down, but it is what it is.

Watch it if you want, but it was just ok.

Wait this is on Netflix already? I'll have to check it out when I same time. I've heard both positive and negative things about it

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6466 on: November 27, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
The Lighthouse.

If you want to get thoroughly freaked out, then this is the movie for you! What the f*ck did i just watch! :eek

Masterful performances from both Pattinson and Dafoe! Direction, cinematography and especially the music were all astoundingly good. All contributed to the seriously creepy atmosphere that was amped up by the old 1.19:1 aspect ratio, and the fact that it was black and white!

But holy s*it, i'm not going to sleep tonight!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6467 on: November 27, 2019, 03:27:30 PM »
The Lighthouse.

If you want to get thoroughly freaked out, then this is the movie for you! What the f*ck did i just watch! :eek

Masterful performances from both Pattinson and Dafoe! Direction, cinematography and especially the music were all astoundingly good. All contributed to the seriously creepy atmosphere that was amped up by the old 1.19:1 aspect ratio, and the fact that it was black and white!

I thought this movie was very odd, but didn't really get freaked or creeped out by it at all. Good performances for sure. But mostly it just left me scratching my head wondering what the hell I had just watched.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6468 on: November 27, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
The Lighthouse.

I thought this movie was very odd, but didn't really get freaked or creeped out by it at all. Good performances for sure. But mostly it just left me scratching my head wondering what the hell I had just watched.

SPOILERS:

It definitely wasn't a straight up horror movie, as there was some dark humor throughout. And it started slow, but as soon as he starts having the visions i started to get creeped out. The movie is essentially two hours of Robert Pattinson going insane, and i felt it was pretty scary to see his slow descent into madness. The claustrophobia of being on an island with a suspicious lighthouse keeper and a magical lighthouse was done really well. :tup

It was a really good movie IMO.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6469 on: November 28, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »
Iron Man

Finally getting around to the Avenger's MCU thanks to Disney+.

I have seen every single X-Men universe film and all of the Defender's (plus Punisher) Netflix shows. I have always been a Marvel guy. Just never got around to the Avenger side of things.

Really enjoyed Iron Man. I am watching them in order. Seems the only one I can't get is The Hulk but I have read it isn't very consequential to the plot.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6470 on: November 30, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »
Knives Out.

Really good! Not perfect, but really good. This seems like a better type of film for Rian Johnson and his sensibilities than, say, Star Wars.

Also.....STOP TALKING IN THE GOD DAMN THEATER. I had two old people next to me who were explaining the movie to each other in slightly softer than normal voices, but that wasn't the worst part. It's a whodunit kind of movie, and I was surrounded by college kids all (louder than they thought they were) making prediction after prediction. DO NOT DO THAT DURING THE GOD DAMN MOVIE! Talk before it, talk after it, shut the hell up during it. JESUS!

Sorry. (Not really)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6471 on: November 30, 2019, 07:00:30 PM »
Also.....STOP TALKING IN THE GOD DAMN THEATER. I had two old people next to me who were explaining the movie to each other in slightly softer than normal voices, but that wasn't the worst part. It's a whodunit kind of movie, and I was surrounded by college kids all (louder than they thought they were) making prediction after prediction. DO NOT DO THAT DURING THE GOD DAMN MOVIE! Talk before it, talk after it, shut the hell up during it. JESUS!

Sorry. (Not really)

I almost never go to the movies anymore and it is because of this reason.  RUDE FUCKING HUMANS.  Turn your goddamn phone to silent, stop talking during the movie, stop rattling the candy wrapper, and munching with your mouth open, and for god sake -  stop wearing that horrible perfume/cologne that gives me a migraine, and stop farting your last meal you absolute jerk!  This is not your damn living room!

Oh wait - is this the things that annoy the crap out of me thread or??   :P

Spouse wants to watch The Irishman tonight.  And while I love me a good Scorsese movie, I don't know if I'm up for 3 1/2 hours.  I'm going to try and push for In the Shadow of the Moon.  That sounds great!!

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6472 on: December 01, 2019, 03:00:43 AM »
I watched In the Shadow of the Moon and it's pretty cool! go for it!  :metal

I loathe too people talking during the movie, it's so hard to understand that it's an immersive experience and that you can keep your comments for later? I remember when I watched Harry Potter's Deathly Hallows with my cousin (who read all the books, I just watched the movies) the "worst" I did was react with gestures at shocking moments - that character died, I silently made a hand gesture to her "OMG DID SHE JUST DIE?", and when an important twist was revealed I just made another silent gesture to mean "I knew that something was going on".... I would never talk or go into a mystery-solving rant during the movie! I only laugh when it happens, 'cause if a joke or a scene is funny, you can't help it, but otherwise I always keep my mouth shut.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6473 on: December 01, 2019, 06:34:43 AM »
Saw Knives Out as well. I enjoyed it. The theater was noisy for me too, thought more in reaction to stuff on the screen then general talking, but still... There's no need to react to the movie with words. Laughing, gasping, etc should be enough.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6474 on: December 01, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
Have to find a time to watch Knives Out.

I snagged the 4k 6 disc set of Apocalypse Now that was on sale for $10.

I first saw the movie ages ago probably 15 years or so ago, I had forgotten what an amazing movie this was. I watched the Final Cut which is the 3 hour version and it was really good. So many iconic lines and scenes that were great to see again. I really wished I had seen it in theaters during the re-release in August of this year.

Next is the documentary Hearts of Darkness.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan