Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554456 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6230 on: March 18, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
Major League- Still a great sports movie that holds up.  I've seen part 2 but can't remember it; the reviews for the sequel were pretty bad. I'll watch it if that comes on.

A big reason why the sequel isn't very good is that Omar Epps, instead of Wesley Snipes, played Willie Mays Hays.  That and the story is kinda dumb.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6231 on: March 18, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »
Snipes was great

Don't steal home without it

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6232 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:21 AM »
Free Solo.

Not a movie, but a feature length documentary about a guy climbing El Capitan in Yosemite without ropes or equipment. It won the Oscar this year for Best Documentary Feature.

Highly recommended, even if you are not into climbing or outdoorsy stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6233 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:32 AM »
And I thought it was a remake of the first 30 minutes of Return of the Jedi.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6234 on: March 19, 2019, 03:22:47 AM »
And I thought it was a remake of the first 30 minutes of Return of the Jedi.

:lol No carbonite in this version..

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6235 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:15 AM »
Free Solo.
I loved this film. One of my favorites from 2018.

Saw Captive State last night. It was not great. Clunky exposition is normally bad, but this movie could have used some. I felt most of it feeling like there was some information I should have, but didn't. It was a little difficult to follow at times. And I saw the twist at the end coming a mile away, so that was a little disappointing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6236 on: March 19, 2019, 07:33:19 AM »
Free Solo.

Not a movie, but a feature length documentary about a guy climbing El Capitan in Yosemite without ropes or equipment. It won the Oscar this year for Best Documentary Feature.

Highly recommended, even if you are not into climbing or outdoorsy stuff.

This was an awesome doc. I knew that Alex made the climb, lived, etc... yet I was still super nervous the whole time. Super interesting stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6237 on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Related docs are Valley Uprising and The Dawn Wall - both on Netflix and set in Yosemite.

What’s cool for me is that we visited Yosemite in July 2017, which was just a couple of months after Alex’s solo. I’d no idea it had even happened, but having been there you can really appreciate the scale of the place.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6238 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Watched all of the Indiana Jones movies again, since they're all time favorites and I hadn't seen the first three in full for a very, very long time.

Rampage - fun enough, just another action film with The Rock.  Loved the video game as a kid, but didn't see the need for a movie, though like Transformers, it was fun to look for landmarks and my office building in the Chicago scenes.  Jeffery Dean Morgan essentially played Negan in a suit, which was fun to see.

Ready Player One - this was killer.  I knew nothing about the story, and loved it.  All of the pop culture references and cameos were fantastic, and it was fun to have a lot of actors that I didn't know, as opposed to seeing a lot of bigger name people in it. 

Triple Frontier.  I didn't mind it, though I can agree it's not the best use of 2 hours. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6239 on: March 19, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
Watched all of the Indiana Jones movies again, since they're all time favorites and I hadn't seen the first three in full for a very, very long time.

Rampage - fun enough, just another action film with The Rock.  Loved the video game as a kid, but didn't see the need for a movie, though like Transformers, it was fun to look for landmarks and my office building in the Chicago scenes.  Jeffery Dean Morgan essentially played Negan in a suit, which was fun to see.

Ready Player One - this was killer.  I knew nothing about the story, and loved it.  All of the pop culture references and cameos were fantastic, and it was fun to have a lot of actors that I didn't know, as opposed to seeing a lot of bigger name people in it. 

Triple Frontier.  I didn't mind it, though I can agree it's not the best use of 2 hours.

:tup

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6240 on: March 19, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
Re watched Bumblebee. Fun movie. Really liked it for what it was.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6241 on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
Re watched Bumblebee. Fun movie. Really liked it for what it was.

Apparently studio execs saw all the positive reviews and decided that the sequel needed to be more like the last few Transformers instead.

So I'm glad I got at least 1 transformers movie I like (since 1986).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6242 on: March 19, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
I have met Alex a few times thru a mutual friend. he is a great guy. I have balls but he has 20x the balls.
Complex yet simple. passionate about what he does. yet detailed like no one I ever met.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6243 on: March 19, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Alex is the best at what he does. the average person look at him like he is nuts. let me tell you he is calcultead, risk averse, a student of climbing that openly admits he is learning.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6244 on: March 19, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
If  you are so inclined (no pun intended), check out the documentary MERUu  directed by Jimmy the same guy that did Free Solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvS6O9lVkkg

I am an avid mountain climber. I leave next week for Everest. Climb mid May.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6245 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
3 weeks climbing up and down getting acclimated to weather , air, conditions, body. as of now window is may 5to25

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6246 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6247 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6248 on: March 19, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
Free solo climbing does not just happen. Each climb takes months if not years of preparation.

Alex for example will climb each mountain numerous times with ropes, measuring each inch of the climb. to literally an inch. study every inch, crevice, wind, spots a mouse could be in the crevice, spots were rock may be fragile and chip away to make it more solid.

its no fly by night thing.

For his El Cap climb, he did 12 rope climbs before he went free solo. loggng every centimeter for finger placement and foot placement. electrodes taking his pulse and breathing.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:38:04 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #6249 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:36 PM »
Lol, holy posts batman. Seems like you are having conversation with yourself.
Anyways last movie was triple frontier. Was both kinda stupid but also entertaining.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6250 on: March 19, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
Alex-Half Dome
https://vimeo.com/213346147

Just watching that gives me the willies. It’s very impressive, and like was mentioned a lot....the mental strength has to be even greater than the physical. But, much like Timothy Treadwell who convinced himself that living with Grizzly Bears was a good idea.......I fully expect to read about this guy dying in a fall....if he chooses to keep soloing. It’s not a matter of if....it’s when. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6251 on: March 20, 2019, 01:48:59 AM »
If  you are so inclined (no pun intended), check out the documentary MERUu  directed by Jimmy the same guy that did Free Solo

Cheers for those vids, Meru is on the list to watch.

Everest - wow, fantastic!! If you fancy it, please start a thread for it. I for one would be interested to hear about your experience.  :tup

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6252 on: March 20, 2019, 06:25:52 AM »
Alex-Half Dome

Just watching that gives me the willies. It’s very impressive, and like was mentioned a lot....the mental strength has to be even greater than the physical. But, much like Timothy Treadwell who convinced himself that living with Grizzly Bears was a good idea.......I fully expect to read about this guy dying in a fall....if he chooses to keep soloing. It’s not a matter of if....it’s when. 

You know, he actually addresses that in Free Solo. During the filming of Free Solo one of his climbing friends, another free soloer, fell and died. He was pretty unemotional about it. When his gf said something about feeling terrible for his wife, his response was "what did she expect?" It's clear that he believes that there's a good chance climbing will be his death someday, and yet he continues to want to do it. I found that mindset to be fascinating. So polar opposite to how I think.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6253 on: March 20, 2019, 07:36:14 AM »
Alex-Half Dome

You know, he actually addresses that in Free Solo. During the filming of Free Solo one of his climbing friends, another free soloer, fell and died. He was pretty unemotional about it. When his gf said something about feeling terrible for his wife, his response was "what did she expect?" It's clear that he believes that there's a good chance climbing will be his death someday, and yet he continues to want to do it. I found that mindset to be fascinating. So polar opposite to how I think.

Alex would be a fascinating person to study psychologically. After watching Free Solo, the way he talked about certain things, especially his childhood, how he had to teach himself to hug people as an adult, and his overall emotional capacity (or lack there of), I'm convinced his emotional detachment from things most people are incredibly attached to, like the feeling of love, is what makes him able to do these incredibly dangerous things.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6254 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
Alex-Half Dome

Yeah....I mean, he HAS to know that's how he's going to die. And not at a ripe old age. I guess there's arguments to be made that he's 'living' his life how he wants and so on....it's his life.....just seems odd to continue to gamble like that. What else does he have to prove at this point?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6255 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:27 AM »
Alex-Half Dome

Yeah....I mean, he HAS to know that's how he's going to die. And not at a ripe old age. I guess there's arguments to be made that he's 'living' his life how he wants and so on....it's his life.....just seems odd to continue to gamble like that. What else does he have to prove at this point?
There's another part in the film where he talks about how all his gf wants is to be happy and enjoy life, as if these are bad things. For Alex, it's all about pushing himself and accomplishing great things. I'm sure he's working out his next big accomplishment.

Again, such a different mindset from me. And I find it completely fascinating.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6256 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
It was mentioned in the doc that his father had Aspergers. My son has it too, and it manifests itself as a total obsession over one narrow scenario or idea, where everything else is secondary, including personal relationships.

I’m not saying Alex has it or anything, just wondering if it is related.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6257 on: March 20, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »

I would start a topic but once I eventully get there, internet is unavailable.

I leave Monday, to go to Denver to start atmosphere regulation and pick up all my tools for the climb. Ill spend 2 weeks there, Then fly to India. 2 weeks to get to the first base camp. Once set up, numerous climbs to get acclimated at 20,000 to 28,000 feet, Weather plays a big part, but as of now the May 5th to 20th should be the summit climb.
Met with my cardio doctor, and all the other related docs and am cleared,

Cheers for those vids, Meru is on the list to watch.

Everest - wow, fantastic!! If you fancy it, please start a thread for it. I for one would be interested to hear about your experience.  :tup

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6258 on: March 20, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
That sounds like the trip of a lifetime! All the very best for it!

The altitude is serious business. I went to a talk a couple of months ago with this guy who ran a marathon from Everest base camp for charity. A really super fit guy, but he said his time was easily double that of a “normal” marathon. The body starts shutting itself down at that altitude and those kinds of temperatures.

Still, I’m sure you’ll be fine..  :lol

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6259 on: March 20, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
after 24,000 feet its called the death zone, body can not function for an extended time period. I am using oxygen but the pressure on the body is limited.

the minus temperature you can deal with. the oxygen, toll on the body is the hardest.

I have done numerous cardio and mental tests.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6260 on: March 20, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
I am an adrenaline junkie. Done shit that most would never do. One of my biggest inspirations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbN-cWe0A0

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6261 on: March 20, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »
You wanna start a thread for this man? It feels like it's going pretty off topic for the Last Movie You Saw thread, you know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6262 on: March 21, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Did anyone else think it's FULL of logic errors?

Like why take your whole family that includes a very young child on a supply run to town? Or, why not pull out (or other methods) during sex to make sure you don't have a baby that would most definitely die a horrible death and probably lead to your entire family dying? Or, why show a primitive form of communication with the fires at night that shows other survivors nearby but then still spend the entire film acting as if they're all alone and not working together?

Stuff like that?

I still liked the movie though.

Oh, I didn't see your reply. Yeah, exactly those kinds of things. Or how a beast can hear something happening inside a house from hundreds or thousands of meters away in the forest, but then a flippin mattress over the entrance to your super secret cellar does the trick as those things apparently are not able to hear shit through that.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6263 on: March 23, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Us - not as good as Get Out, but still a good suspenseful thriller.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6264 on: March 23, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
Finally got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, I really enjoyed it. The inaccuracies didn't bother me and I just enjoyed it as a movie.