Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 558697 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #6090 on: December 21, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »
Aquaman was good, agree CGI is over the top, but what are you going to do,

Bumblebee-solid for a Transformers movie.

Fun movies to spend a day watching.

Brubaker-1980 prison film overlooked currently in this era. Robert Redford at his best. Next to Shawshank, the best prison film made.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6091 on: December 22, 2018, 02:43:46 AM »
Just saw Bumblebee. This is what we should have gotten back in 2007. In many ways this movie parallels the first one, but done better. The humour didn't always hit the mark, but at least it wasn't stupid toilet humour. Bumblebee was stupidly cute. The action was good, and not overbearing. Giant robots from space still don't make sense. But giant robots. Best live action Transformers movie, for what that's worth. :lol

Also G1 Optimus Prime gave me a full on robot chubby.

Bonus points for getting the reference. That takes your total up to........ I lost count because your score is too high. :D

A Bill and Ted sequel is one of those things you hear about forever but never expect to actually see. Like a Ghostbusters reboot.

Oh wait.  :sadpanda:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6092 on: December 22, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »

A Bill and Ted sequel is one of those things you hear about forever but never expect hope to actually see. Like a Ghostbusters reboot.

Oh wait.  :sadpanda:

Fix'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6093 on: December 22, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »
Blackklansman- Amazing movie. I am hit and miss with Spike Lee movies. But I must say the acting performances, script, are top notch. This should be a worthy Oscar nominee across the board.

John David Washington should definetly get a nod for best actor and Adam Driver supporting actor. 9/10

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6094 on: December 22, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
I also thought Topher Grace was an ispired choice for David Duke
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6095 on: December 22, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
Blackklansman- Amazing movie. I am hit and miss with Spike Lee movies. But I must say the acting performances, script, are top notch. This should be a worthy Oscar nominee across the board.

John David Washington should definetly get a nod for best actor and Adam Driver supporting actor. 9/10

Great movie.

For some reason, the scene that sticks in my head is when Washington's character has his first convo with the KKK on the phone and Adam Driver does that slow turn around in his chair. Just excellent delivery.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6096 on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
Bumblebee was amazing! You're going to read and hear a lot of people saying this over and over again. THIS is the movie that should've started the franchise.

Just the first 10 minutes of the movie was better than all the previous 5 transformer movies put together and then some.
What an amazing ride throughout.
I'll have to see if it's playing in IMAX somewhere. It's that good.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:53:21 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #6097 on: December 23, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
Bumblebee.

YES!

Finally!

That about sums it up.

Also, a total money loss and only for nerds like Blob and myself, but would anyone else pay good money for Travis Knight doing a remake of the 86 movie that looks more like the first 5 minutes of this movie?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6098 on: December 23, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
I would totally be down for that. In fact I had similar thoughts during the first few minutes of the movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6099 on: December 24, 2018, 02:53:01 AM »
Rewatched Die Hard because it's christmas.  :)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6100 on: December 24, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
Bumblebee. Definitely the best of the transformers movies, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Mary Poppins Returns. I grew up loving the original and this was a good follow up. It very much kept the same tone, but followed the same formula to a large extent, almost to a fault. Worth seeing if you like the original.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6101 on: December 25, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »
First Man- Best picture I have seen this year. solid movie

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6102 on: December 26, 2018, 03:05:40 AM »
Miracle on 34th Street.

I wanted to see why this movie was so famous... well, it's quite a nice one, which manages to not be too sappy or sugary even if the premise is "Santa Claus actually exists and walks among us".

I thought it was a bit weird how the whole hearing about Kris Kringle turned out into "We need to have proof he's actually Santa Claus" - he was on "trial" because he assaulted another man and so he had to be judged wether he was a menace to people around him or not, but suddenly it all became a matter of "He's insane because he thinks he's Santa Claus".

Still, a good movie deserving the fame it got.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6103 on: December 26, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »
Also, a total money loss and only for nerds like Blob and myself, but would anyone else pay good money for Travis Knight doing a remake of the 86 movie that looks more like the first 5 minutes of this movie?

Shut up and take my money.

Online Adami

« Reply #6104 on: December 26, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »

Shut up and take my money.

If they had to recast the voices, who would you cast? All same characters. Obviously you bring back Cullen and Welker, but curious about the others.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6105 on: December 27, 2018, 04:23:07 AM »
For the first time...... Die Hard.

Yup, that one. Never saw it. Hey, you can't see everything, it's relatively easy to miss a movie if you don't watch it in the theaters and anyway you don't bother too much with action films.

Still, I can now finally see why this movie was so famous... totally deserving and I assume this movie was a benchkmark for many, many action films to come.

I liked how John McCaine was not a superhuman one step away from a comics superhero, but a regular cop caught in the action who time and again feared for his life or cursed himself for the things he was about to do. Badass move to send down the first guy he killed with the writing "Now I have a machine gun", way to throw the bad guys off. And the douche that revealed his name to Gruber totally deserved his fate.

Also it was nice to see again Alan Rickman  :metal

I don't know if it can be called a "christmas movie", because it has nothing to do with it aside the fact that it happens on Christmas Eve, but still, Xmas or not, it's one hell of a ride and the long running time doesn't weigh it down in the least!

Also, gotta love this from Wikipedia:
Willis's first day on set was on 2 November 1987 when following completion of that day's filming on Moonlighting at MGM Studios at Culver City they shot the nighttime scene of him jumping with a fire hose around his waist as an explosion occurred behind of what appeared to be the top of the Nakatomi tower behind him.

In reality he jumped from the roof of a five-storey parking garage onto an airbag. The force of the explosion blew him out to the very edge of the airbag. When upon completing the stunt Willis inquired why they hadn't filmed such a dangerous scene at the end of production, he was told that if they had, then they would have run the expensive risk of having to reshoot the whole movie with another actor.

:lol

"Hey let's shoot the most dangerous scene first so in case you die we'll just get another actor"  :facepalm: :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6106 on: December 27, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
Yep, Die Hard was the archetype for the "one guy versus everybody" genre.  Under Siege was actually called "Die Hard on a boat", Under Siege 2 was "Die Hard on a Train", Passenger 57 was "Die Hard on a Plane"...

I've never read the book that Die Hard was based on, but I keep meaning to find it and check it out because I've always wondered how many crazy, funny details are there because of some clever scriptwriting, or because they were in the book.  Agents Johnson and Johnson, one black and one white, for example.  That sounds like the fun kind of detail you'd throw into a novel.  Thornburg ("Dickless" from Ghostbusters), clueless to the end, sees Godunov fall and says "I hope that wasn't a hostage".  Stuff like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6107 on: December 27, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
Watched the NETFLIX Movie Bird Box with Sandra Bullock. While I thought it was interesting it was tough not to link it almost directly to 'The Happening' from M. Night Shyamalan.....essentially the same idea although this movies twist was you were only infected if you 'saw it'. Also, despite having not seen 'A Quiet Place' (yet) I know the gist of that movie and this effort from NETFLIX just felt like a someone in a room full of people that were brainstorming ideas just said "How about we do the 'Quiet Place' but only instead of hearing we use sight?"

There were some 'tense' moments but for me   SPOILERS

....it lost me at the trip down the river. A random man standing in the river in the middle of nowhere trying to 'get' them.......then the rapids when the boat flipped and she still finds the two kids!? Especially the condition of the rapids they depicted on screen. Reality is they all drowned....movie setting at least one of those 5 years old kids should have never been seen again.....movie is she finds them while blindfolded merely yards apart. Then, this magical 'safe' utopia in the middle of the woods....also in the middle of nowhere??

I didnt' 'hate the movie but it's right on the cusp of me being ticked off I wasted the 2 hours watching it rather than a different selection.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6108 on: December 27, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
Agents Johnson and Johnson, one black and one white, for example.  That sounds like the fun kind of detail you'd throw into a novel.

"Yeah, this is Johnson.
No, the other Johnson."

:lol

There were little moments of humor here and there, like John McClaine talking aloud "Come on Argyle, tell me you heard the gunshots and called the police", cutting immediately to him listening to loud music in the limousine and talking to a girlfriend on the phone  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6109 on: December 27, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
I've never read the book that Die Hard was based on, but I keep meaning to find it and check it out because I've always wondered how many crazy, funny details are there because of some clever scriptwriting, or because they were in the book.  Agents Johnson and Johnson, one black and one white, for example.  That sounds like the fun kind of detail you'd throw into a novel.  Thornburg ("Dickless" from Ghostbusters), clueless to the end, sees Godunov fall and says "I hope that wasn't a hostage".  Stuff like that.

Cinefix has a "What's the Difference?" video comparing the movie to the book, but I don't recall how in-depth it goes on that kind of details.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6110 on: December 27, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
I too watched Die Hard a couple of nights ago and it was as awesome as I remember it. It doesn't feel too outdated and in the context of the movie everything worked quite well. Most striking thing I noticed this time watching it was how well scored the music was. It had accents of all the Christmas tunes and played them with dramatic beats. Plus the soundtrack, great selection of tracks. Very well shot and edited, it's a classic movie through and through.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6111 on: December 27, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »

Cinefix has a "What's the Difference?" video comparing the movie to the book, but I don't recall how in-depth it goes on that kind of details.

Wow, that was very good!  Impressed.

So the main difference is that the book is first person, so you don't have Johnson and Johnson, or Argyle, or most of the other stuff on the ground outside.  But a large part of the action is directly lifted from the book.

I dun goofed.  "I hope that wasn't a hostage" wasn't Dickless, it was another famous asshole, Paul Gleason as Chief Whatshisfuck, aka Vernon from The Breakfast Club.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6112 on: December 28, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
Watched the NETFLIX Movie Bird Box with Sandra Bullock. While I thought it was interesting it was tough not to link it almost directly to 'The Happening' from M. Night Shyamalan.....essentially the same idea although this movies twist was you were only infected if you 'saw it'. Also, despite having not seen 'A Quiet Place' (yet) I know the gist of that movie and this effort from NETFLIX just felt like a someone in a room full of people that were brainstorming ideas just said "How about we do the 'Quiet Place' but only instead of hearing we use sight?"

There were some 'tense' moments but for me   SPOILERS

....it lost me at the trip down the river. A random man standing in the river in the middle of nowhere trying to 'get' them.......then the rapids when the boat flipped and she still finds the two kids!? Especially the condition of the rapids they depicted on screen. Reality is they all drowned....movie setting at least one of those 5 years old kids should have never been seen again.....movie is she finds them while blindfolded merely yards apart. Then, this magical 'safe' utopia in the middle of the woods....also in the middle of nowhere??

I didnt' 'hate the movie but it's right on the cusp of me being ticked off I wasted the 2 hours watching it rather than a different selection.

Read about both movies and it is funny how they are quite similar. Except Bird Box is a book from 2014, written by the lead singer for The Highstrung (I've never heard of them).

I'm waiting for Smell That....where if you smell of bad odor then the monster will find you and kill you.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6113 on: December 28, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
Concluding my roll of Christmas-ish movies which are classics and I never seen, I've watched Trading Places, with Dan Aykroid and Eddie Murphy.

Ok, I get that it should be fun, and it actually is, and I'm a spoilsports for saying this but.... how come this is labeled as a comedy? it's a psychological horror! the two wealthy owners of the firm are total and complete sociopaths, who plan to ruin the life of a perfectly fine guy (sure, a bit entitled and spoiled but he was actually good at his job and he cared for his girlfriend) for a bet of one dollar? not that any amount of money would have been fine to justify ruining a man's life who tries twice in a short time to commit suicide. The two rich assholes are horrible human beings, as reinforced by the fact that when they get their comeuppance one has a heart attack or something and the other literally says "fuck him, reopen the stock market!".

In the era of gritty reboots, this should be a Black Mirror episode with the protagonist being an evil CEO or something that ruins the life of an everyday man. As I said I get that it's a comedy and I actually enjoyed it as such, but the premise is terryfing.

Also, I didn't even notice and I had to rewatch after seeing the credits - Giancarlo Esposito is in this! playing a guy in the cell where Eddie Murphy is held. Man, he really learnt his lesson when he built his drugs empire  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:51:11 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6114 on: December 29, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a gem. The acting was just superb all around.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6115 on: December 29, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
Bird Box. It was ok, a lot of people really disliked it but I didn't think it was awful. It felt a lot like A Quiet Place to me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6116 on: December 30, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Cast Away for the first time in awhile. The fact that this has only a 7.8 average on IMDB is lol.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6117 on: December 30, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
That's being far too generous.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6118 on: December 31, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
Sicario

This movie was tight. I really enjoy Villeneuve's work and I especially enjoy it when its a brisk 2 hours in length. This movie had great pacing, great suspense and didn't pull any punches. Loved Del toro as well.

Hopefully Dune will be decent.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6119 on: December 31, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
That's being far too generous.

Hot take! You’re right, it’s not nearly as good as a Transformers movie.

Online Adami

« Reply #6120 on: December 31, 2018, 01:52:51 PM »
Vice.

Pretty damn terrifying actually. Some interesting directing choices, some of which worked really well, and some of which were way too on the nose.

Amazing performances by everyone, especially Bale and Adams. Steve Carrel was really good but felt like he was in a different movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6121 on: December 31, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
Cast Away for the first time in awhile. The fact that this has only a 7.8 average on IMDB is lol.

Agreed.  A fantastic film, and the final scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

And I'll still bet the name of the film goes over the head of a lot of people.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6122 on: January 01, 2019, 06:17:41 AM »
Girlfriend and I watched Welcome to Marwin last night.
We enjoyed it, though it was a little more violent and a lot more sexual references than I maybe would have liked. Glad I saw it as Matinee price.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6123 on: January 01, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
NYE tradition is dinner and a movie with the whole jingle.family.  Saw Return of Mary Poppins last night.  Pretty entertaining.  I thought Emily Blount did a very nice rendition of her.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6124 on: January 01, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »
Lazy day in the GMD household. Last day before heading back to work tomorrow. We all literally sat/layed around all day and watched TV/Movies.

We watched ‘The Office’ on NETFLIX from about 10:00am - 3:00pm.....then played some cards for a couple hours....then we watched the reboot of ‘Tomb Raider’ I liked it, I liked it more than the Angelina Jolie efforts. I’m hoping they give it at least one more movie to see if it can grab some traction as a ‘series’

Then, my oldest two have been begging to watch the John Carpenter ‘The Thing’....so we did. I forgot how great that movie was. And my oldest loved it also.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind