Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554537 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5950 on: September 25, 2018, 07:46:26 AM »
No Chasing Amy?

love that movie

maybe do that and jersey girl later

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5951 on: September 25, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
Kevin is a brilliant writer. people dismiss or don't recognize that. Actually his work in Chasing Amy ay be his best ever

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5952 on: September 25, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
Kevin is a brilliant writer. people dismiss or don't recognize that. Actually his work in Chasing Amy ay be his best ever

I love Kevin Smith. I admit I don't like any movie he's done since (whatever came last, Jersey Girl or Clerks II) but I still watch his youtube stuff all the time. The dude is just so cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5953 on: September 25, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »
I may be biased, but I know Kevin personally, for over 30 years. As with any director/writer you get hit and misses n the public standpoint,

Fart jokes etc aside, he is really a brilliant individual. To be honest one of the nicest guy I have had the priveledge to call a friend and straight up individual.

watch his individual stand up shows.

he is not everyones taste, but one of the smartsest people I know

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5954 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
I love Smith's earlier works but in recent years he's made some of the worst movies I've ever seen and it hurts to say that. J&SB is also one of my favorite comedies ever so I'm that much more nervous about the upcoming sequel.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5955 on: September 25, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
Red State was a mistake, studio made him change a lot. in conversations he was pissed.

you either get him or you don't
he is not everyones taste

he isn't n it to make money or win an Oscar
Clerks 2 for example, funny movie, brilliant dialogue
again studio made him change a lot

Kevin is brilliant when he is raw

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5956 on: September 25, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
I have seen early scripts of jay and bob sequal, if you like Kevin, it will be right up ur alley

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5957 on: September 25, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
I really hope so. J&SB is a movie I've seen countless times (and I quote it nonstop, there are so many amazing lines in there), I'm trying not to hype it up for myself too much but I'm definitely going to see it on day 1.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #5958 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »
Like I said, I love Kevin. I watch his youtube stuff every week. I have seen all (I think) of his stand ups.

And if anyone is aware of their later work not being great, it's him. He constantly puts down films like Tusk or Yoga Hosers.

I consider Kev to be one of the coolest people in hollywood and one of the few guys I would love to just hang out with. Just the nicest guy I've seen this side of Tom Hanks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5959 on: September 25, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
I mean, maybe he should put down the weed. It doesn't help everyone, or maybe he's just gone too far with it. I dunno, I still think he has greatness in him, so I still have faith.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5960 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »
Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer

classic police and Clint movies  :metal

Online ozzy554

« Reply #5961 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:00 AM »
I know this movies reception was a bit mixed but I loved Tusk and have seen it multiple times.

Though at times it has more in common with a Frank Henenlotter movie than a Kevin Smith movie lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5962 on: September 26, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5963 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
Lethal Weapon 1&2

The chemistry between Gibson and Glover was awesome in the entire series. I was never much of a fan of Pesci but I always liked him in these movies

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5964 on: September 27, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
Assassination Nation

Minor spoilers I guess if anyone was actually planning on seeing this.

It was a bizarre movie. It was kind of three separate movies: one about high school teens and their social media obsessions (which was frankly the scariest thing I've seen in a long time if it was even remotely accurate to real life), the middle part was almost a horror movie, and the ending was what I was expecting the whole time, the main 4 girls kicking ass. I honestly almost left about 20 minutes in because it had a very difficult start to get in to. Once it settled in it was OK I guess, just kind of all over the place. Interesting concept, but could have been executed better.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5965 on: October 06, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
Ant Man and the Wasp. Funny and solid like all the other Marvel movies. They don't really miss a beat with these ones :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: October 06, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
I'm watching Get Hard for the first time. Alison Brie is in this. I did not know this. She is so fine.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5967 on: October 06, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
Ocean's Eight.  Not bad.  Sandra keeps getting hotter, but also more plastic looking.  It was confusing.  Cate was hot, too, and I usually don't even find her remotely attractive.  I think I'm getting old.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5968 on: October 07, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »
I finally got around to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I'm not into western movies at all but man even despite the length I loved it. I've read that a lot of movies around that time weren't very well produced but the cinematography and music made the movie. I'll dive into the other two films of the trilogy at some point.

What really inspired me to watch was this absolutely incredible performance of the two key themes of the movie by the Danish National Symphony which was done earlier this year. It's short, sweet, and worth every second of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkM71JPHfjk

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5969 on: October 07, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
American Made (2017)

Good, entertaining.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5970 on: October 07, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
I finally got around to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I'm not into western movies at all but man even despite the length I loved it. I've read that a lot of movies around that time weren't very well produced but the cinematography and music made the movie. I'll dive into the other two films of the trilogy at some point.

Still an all-time fave.  There's something so dramatic about those horseback rides across the open desert while the music plays and the choir sings.  And I love how the movie takes its times.  Yeah, it's long.  It was made back when movies took their time to tell a story and let you absorb it all, not rush from gunfight to car chase (horseback chase?) to explosion, etc.

Online Adami

« Reply #5971 on: October 07, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »
I wish more movies took their time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5972 on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
Really.  Nowadays it seems like it's all about the excitement, keeping the adrenaline pumping for 90 minutes straight, so people will feel as entertained as they would've been had they sat and played on their phone for 90 minutes instead.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5973 on: October 09, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

:hefdaddy

Online ozzy554

« Reply #5974 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
Rats: Night of terror (1984)

Grizzly (1976) with Rifftrax commentary

The Town that Dreaded sundown (1976)

and I gave a re-watch to one of my favorite movies Bad Taste (1987). I miss crazy Peter Jackson.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5975 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »

Grizzly (1976) with Rifftrax commentary

I actually met that bear (we didn't shake hands) when I was a kid in the seventies. They kept it at The Olympic Game Farm in western Washington state in the Sequim area. I lived about a mile away in a strait line from there.
 The name of the bear was "Tag", raised and trained by the owners Lloyd and Katherine Beebee from a cub. Tag's dad (I think Teddy was his name) was in the first half of the movie but died due to health problems. By that time Tag himself was big enough so they used him for the second half of the movie. Mannn,  he was one big bear!! That is also a great movie, kind of scary for it's time..
 Tag lived to be around 35 years old and was a main attraction at the Game Farm until about 2005 when he passed on. He always waved at everyone..  :heart
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:12:58 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5976 on: October 11, 2018, 01:50:50 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp and Avengers Infinity War (again).  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #5977 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
Hostiles, with Christian Bale.

Really good. Forgot about it, saw it on Netflix, and we watched it this past weekend.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5978 on: October 12, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »
The Conjuring 2 - scared the crap out of me like the first one did.  The demonic nun is so freaky.

Blade & Blade II - working my way through Blade II.  I'd never seen them and it seems that most Marvel fans love these.  Watching Wesley Snipes kick ass is always a good thing.  I have Blade Trinity set in my DVR for whenever it airs in the next few weeks too.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5979 on: October 12, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
The Conjuring 2 - scared the crap out of me like the first one did.  The demonic nun is so freaky.

Blade & Blade II - working my way through Blade II.  I'd never seen them and it seems that most Marvel fans love these.  Watching Wesley Snipes kick ass is always a good thing.  I have Blade Trinity set in my DVR for whenever it airs in the next few weeks too.

The fight scene between Blade and Nomak at the end of the Blade II is one of my favorite movie moments ever! Teeth gritting action fun.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5980 on: October 15, 2018, 07:25:02 AM »
Hereditary- Ton of hype around this move and I bought it on whim. Really good slow burn horror film. Definitely worth watching again to catch the clues through out the film. Great acting and great ending. Best horror film ever? Probably not, but definitely up there. 4.5/5

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5981 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:24 AM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5982 on: October 16, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
You Were Never Really Here (2017): Eh, the comparisons to Taxi Driver are silly - both involve a lonely protagonist who rescues a little girl from a whorehouse, but that's about it. This movie involves some kind of private detective / hitman who lives with his senior mother, and has suicidal thoughts because of some weird trauma that's randomly shown throughout the film. Sounds cool, yet it feels pretty... empty overall, there's barely dialogue, and the cinematography isn't anything outstanding. Feels like a Film Student graduate trying to make a slow, "deep" movie. Not bad at all, just pretty mediocre - soundtrack was cool tho. 3.5/5

Labyrinth (1986): Yeah, that movie with David Bowie. Didn't expect much from a fairy tale-ish story with some cheesy but fun musical sections, so I had a nice time. 3.5/5

Okja (2017): Fun movie about why vegans are superior corporate greed and animal abuse, following a girl who raises this gigantic superpig that was part of a worldwide contest. When she wins, they take the animal away and she runs in her rescue - in the middle, there's an organization that releases captive animals trying to help her. So, nothing deeply original as it plays with many tropes common to depicting companies and revolutionary groups, but it was entertaining. 3.5/5

Online Adami

« Reply #5983 on: October 16, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Venom - Huh. Not a good movie. At all. In fact, a very bad movie. Luckily it had Tom Hard who single handedly elevated it to tolerable.

A Star is Born - I haven't seen the first two versions of this, only the Streisand version and now the new one. I really loved it. Cooper and Gaga give really great performances, but Sam Elliot steals it. There's aspects I did not necessarily care for, or though the 70's version did better, but over all it's a fantastic movie.

Bad Times at the el Royale - Really amazing movie. Stunning directing and performances by everyone. I see some people aren't digging it, and that's a shame, cause it's a really refreshing original movie. I highly recommend this.

Hoping to see First Man over the weekend. Really want to see Beautiful Boy, but I don't know if it will play anywhere near me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5984 on: October 21, 2018, 06:30:33 AM »
The Old Man and the Gun - good performances all around. I guess I would describe it as being a cute movie, but in a good way.

Journey's End - I had heard good things so I watched it not knowing a lot about it. WWI movie but more about the characters and how the war affects them rather than the fighting itself. It was good, but I was hoping for better I guess.

Beast - Again had heard good things so I watched it without knowing much. It was a thriller that kept me uncomfortable and uncertain throughout the whole thing.