Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 560131 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5810 on: July 27, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
Hiroshima Death Match (1973): The second entry in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity series is another frantic fun movie. It's a bit more focused than the first movie with it focusing mainly on one character. Though at times it's obvious at times that characters from the first one were shoehorned into it when they probably didn't need to be.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5811 on: July 28, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
Mission Impossible Fallout was great. Although it was easy enough to follow, I couldn't remember which movies some of the returning characters were from since its been 3 years since I saw Rogue Nation. The whole time I though Rebecca Ferguson's character was from the first movie, but this was a continuation of RN. I'm gonna do a rewatch of the movies soon.

Ferguson was 12 when the 1st movie came out so she wasn't in it lol.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5812 on: July 28, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
'The House' with Will Ferrell and Amy Pohler. Utter and complete DUD. You'd think it'd have at least a couple funny parts but it's 1hr and a half snooze fest

'How it Ends' on NETFLIX with Forest Whitaker and a handful of unknown actors. Thought it'd be a cool 'apocalyptic' movie but this was a 2 hour waste of time. Had potential and started off cool...but the lack of story really started to show and it just turned into a really bad movie. Don't waste your time on it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5813 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »
Mission: Impossible - Fallout is GREAT. Since Mission: Impossible 2, which was bad, these movies have managed to not only top themselves, but the quality gets better and better. Fallout is the best of the franchise, and to me, one of the best films i've seen all year.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5814 on: July 30, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
Hired Gun

Interesting documentary on hired guns in the music industry.  Loved the info from Jason Newsted and Jason Hook, who both have their heads screwed on straight.  The guys from Billy Joel's band just came off as old, bitter guys that are pissed that they weren't still in his band. 

Started watching The Hateful Eight, but just couldn't get into it after the first 30 minutes.  Tarantino's films sometimes come off as a jumble of dialog at times, and if you're not fully paying attention it's very easy to lose interest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5815 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
Bought Ready Player One and watched it again last night.

I really think that movie is going to be one of those “go to” all time classics like BTTF. Such a fantastic movie.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5816 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »

I really think that movie is going to be one of those “go to” all time classics like BTTF. Such a fantastic movie.

It was good and fun, but I highly doubt this will ever be considered any kind of classic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5817 on: July 30, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »

It was good and fun, but I highly doubt this will ever be considered any kind of classic.

Yeah....me too. I liked it a lot but it didn't have a 'classic' feel to me. There really aren't any iconic scenes or dialogue....it's just a neat visual movie with a cool yet simple story to it.

I could certainly see a sequel though.....there is plenty of potential for that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5818 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

This has always been one of my favorite horror movies.  It's well done and the characters are better than a normal 80s horror movie.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5819 on: July 30, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »

It's too cliched and passable to really make any sort of impact that would make it a classic, mostly since it relies a lot on making references to actual classics  :P

Online Adami

« Reply #5820 on: July 30, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
I watched Ready Player One in 4DX.

Now THAT was a ton of fun, and honestly I can't imagine watching that movie a different way. It was the perfect way to watch a movie like that.

That said, once I went home, I didn't spend any real time thinking about the movie. It was like a roller coaster. Fun, but then you just move on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5821 on: July 30, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »
Been watching several movies lately:

Great
Incredibles 2: Very worthy sequel! The themes of parenthood managing a family are delved deeper this time. Pretty fun.
Mad Max: Fury Road: Finally catched up with it - an awesome, batshit crazy chase. Amazing visuals and direction.
The Big Short: Fascinating movie about the 2008 economic crisis, even if I understood only a quarter of what they were saying.
Fantastic Mr Fox: Very quirky and fun movie about a fox that tries to settle down but makes a big strike for the last time.
Dark City: Very similar to The Matrix in style and tone, about a guy that has a weird power and some aliens are chasing him, and they make everybody fall asleep. It's pretty odd, but an easy watch.
Incendies: Very dark movie about a woman who travels to her mother's home country to find out who she was, and if her father is still alive.

Nice
A Quiet Place: Amazing concept: weird aliens attacked earth, are very sensitive to loud sounds, so people must be very quiet and speak with sign language. Lame execution: bland family, boring characters.
A Clockwork Orange: I love how it's a strong critique to society's obsession with violence and sex, and how prison doesn't work well. however, since it all revolves around a character that's just a dickhead, I found it hard to enjoy.
Cinema Paradiso: Very nice italian film about a guy who loved the movies as a kid, and goes back to his hometown 30 after. Kind of a tearjerker, could have been more effective hadn't the same theme been repeated over and over.
No Country for Old Men: Bold movie that goes against many cliches typical of action films. However, it does so in a way that's not very gratifying. One I appreciate more than I actually enjoy.
Pan's Labyrinth: Literature-teacher-core.
The Machinist: Guy starts seeing things at his work, and shit gets surreal. Is someone plotting against him?
2001: Space Odyssey: I don't mind slow films, but boy some scenes are a tad too much. Amazing photography and direction, looks fantastic even after all these years.
Mind Game: On the one hand, it's very fun, ridiculous and absurdly creative like anything this guy does. On the other hand, it's a bit too dumb and sexual in an immature way. Powerful ending tho.

Meh
Verónica: Eh, typical ritual gone wrong kind of horror story. What a waste of great cinematography.
Rosemary's Baby: I think I really don't like any kind of supernatural horror, and this was bland and predictable.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5822 on: July 30, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

This has always been one of my favorite horror movies.  It's well done and the characters are better than a normal 80s horror movie.

And it has a catchy theme song
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5823 on: July 31, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot. Very nice film. Good performances all around.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #5824 on: August 01, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
I just finished watching The Descent. Geez, that was one of the legit scariest movies I've seen. The first half of the movie especially. It builds a lot of atmosphere and tension. The score was very effective, as was the cinematography and lighting. I also liked how ambiguous it was, with the different possible interpretations of who the killer was. I give it a solid 8/10

Before that I watched Trucker and Dale vs Evil. It's stupid in a really funny way, and I definitely recommend it. Another 8/10

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5825 on: August 02, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
finishing some awesome brisket and ribs on the smoker,,

gonna do a tom Clancy marathon with my sons

Hunt for Red October

Patriot Games

Clear and present danger

Sum of all fears

Hunt is one of my fav movies ever

The scene in Clear when the cars get attacked is incredible

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5826 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
Went and saw Mission Impossible: Fallout yesterday.  It was solid.  Probably the most "sequelly" of the MI movies.  I'm glad I re-watched Rogue Nation earlier in the day.  I found it odd that there was no explanation for Hawkeye's absence from the movie (or, if there was, I completely missed it).  He was a pretty important part of both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows what instrument the guy was going to use as a gun in the opera scene in Rogue One.  I'm talking about the guy up in the scaffolding (i.e., not Ilsa and not the guy in the lighting booth).  Ethan Hunt eventually uses it to shoot the Chancellor to get him out of harm's way.  I know the answer, so I'm just curious if anyone else knows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5827 on: August 06, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Added a bunch of older stuff that I'd never seen to my Netflix list.

LA Confidential - amazing, and some incredible twists.  Pre-Gladiator Russell Crowe, plus Kevin Spacey and Guy Pearce.  Absolutely loved it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5828 on: August 06, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
Saw Ready Player One on a plane ride late Saturday night.  It had some cool moments, but I thought it was pretty lame overall.  That said, I couldn't escape the feeling that I would probably love it if seeing it as a teen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5829 on: August 06, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
Went to the theater and saw Jurassic World 2.  It had some great dinosaur action and auction, lol!
Chris Pratt is the right guy for these rolls. They need to get better writers for these movies, but the dinosaur action scenes were fun and are the saving grace for the movie. Gotta love the T-Rex triumphant roars.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5830 on: August 06, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Also, I'm curious if anyone knows what instrument the guy was going to use as a gun in the opera scene in Rogue One.  I'm talking about the guy up in the scaffolding (i.e., not Ilsa and not the guy in the lighting booth).  Ethan Hunt eventually uses it to shoot the Chancellor to get him out of harm's way.  I know the answer, so I'm just curious if anyone else knows.

It looked like a bass flute to me.  It had the extra length of tubing that bends back to the mouthpiece, similar to an alto but longer.  Also, it looked like a higher calibre than what you'd get with an alto.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5831 on: August 06, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »
Wait, there was an opera scene in Rogue One?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5832 on: August 06, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »
Wait, there was an opera scene in Rogue One?  ???

LOL!  Typo by me...Rogue Nation, not Rogue One.

And yes, Orbert, you're correct.  It's a bass flute.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5833 on: August 06, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
:lol  I was wondering how we got from Mission Impossible to Star Wars.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5834 on: August 07, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
Deadpool2 Super Duper cut on Blu ray.

They change up scenes in certain parts, with cuts they did not use in the theatrical version.

Extended post credit.

I prefer the original theatrical, but it was fun watching the alternate scenes weaved into the movie.

A fun watch

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5835 on: August 08, 2018, 02:00:35 AM »
Mission impossible 5. Had some good moments, but I found it kind of derivative and outright boring honestly. Started losing interest like half way through. Felt like this is the 4th time we've done this plot. The motorcycle chase was decent. The villain is corny as shit and not very intimidating imo. Dude get's trapped in a glass box ffs, but whatever. It Had me thinking about the others:

Mission impossible 1- genuinely suspenseful. Very grounded in reality and a very solid De palma film. I've always loved this movie. My favorite of all of them.

Mission impossible 2- Yeah its dumb and hated, but I enjoyed it. I love the motorcycle chase. And its a pure Jon woo film and I'm fine with that.

Mission Impossible 3- A little strait forward but Seymour hoffman is incredible. He nails the menacing feeling.

Mission impossible 4- The first one I didn't like. Just felt like more of the same, and don't remember any of it.

And I have yet to see 6

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:49:03 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #5836 on: August 08, 2018, 03:46:16 AM »
Mission impossible 5. Had some good moments, but I found it kind of derivative and outright boring honestly. Started losing interest like half way through. Felt like this is the 4th time we've done this plot. The motorcycle chase was decent. The villain is corny as shit and not very intimidating imo. Dude get's trapped in a glass box ffs, but whatever. It Had me thinking about the others:

Mission impossible 1- genuinely suspenseful. Very grounded in reality and a very solid De palma film. I've always loved this movie. My favorite of all of them.

Mission impossible 2- Yeah its dumb and hated, but I enjoyed it. I love the motorcycle chase. And its a pure Jon woo film and I'm fine with that.

Mission Impossible 3- A little strait forward but Seymour hoffman is incredible. He nails the menacing feeling.

Mission impossible 4- The first one I didn't like. Just felt like more of the same, and don't remember any of it.

And I have yet to see 6

Couldn't agree more. IMO, nothing comes close to the first one. Just loved the way it surprised the viewer in different ways, and more of 'laid back' approach with a lot of dialogue and not as much special effects.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5837 on: August 08, 2018, 03:50:58 AM »
Is there some kind of deep continuity with these movies or if I watch the first one and then whatever it is the one with the Burj Khalifa in Dubai I don't really miss anything?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5838 on: August 08, 2018, 04:58:48 AM »
Is there some kind of deep continuity with these movies or if I watch the first one and then whatever it is the one with the Burj Khalifa in Dubai I don't really miss anything?

Not really.  Other than Luther (Ving Rhames) being in all of them alongside Ethan, that's it.  MI3 and Ghost Protocol have one piece of story line continuity, as do GP and Rogue Nation (Jeremey Renner's character).  Fallout is VERY much a sequel to RN - you really need to see it before watching Fallout... and to some extent, MI3 has a connection with the plot of Fallout.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5839 on: August 08, 2018, 06:10:44 AM »

Not really.  Other than Luther (Ving Rhames) being in all of them alongside Ethan, that's it.  MI3 and Ghost Protocol have one piece of story line continuity, as do GP and Rogue Nation (Jeremey Renner's character).  Fallout is VERY much a sequel to RN - you really need to see it before watching Fallout... and to some extent, MI3 has a connection with the plot of Fallout.

Ok, thanks!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5840 on: August 08, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »
Saw Ready Player One on a plane ride late Saturday night.  It had some cool moments, but I thought it was pretty lame overall.  That said, I couldn't escape the feeling that I would probably love it if seeing it as a teen.

I was super let down by this movie. I'm never really one to compare a movie to the book, mainly because I read so few books that get adapted to a movie, but the reading the book ruined this movie for me. In my opinion it was way too much material to fit into a single movie.

However, it's the first movie I've seen that put the BTTF Delorean and a monster truck on the screen at the same time, so it gets a lot of points for that.

Online Adami

« Reply #5841 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
The Spy Who Dumped Me.

Dumb. A lot of fun, but REALLY dumb. Mostly enjoyed it though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5842 on: August 09, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with some good, dumb fun, if it's well done good, dumb fun.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5843 on: August 10, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »
The Spy Who Dumped Me.

Dumb. A lot of fun, but REALLY dumb. Mostly enjoyed it though.
I saw this as well. It was certainly dumb. Fairly entertaining I guess, but it was probably 15-20 minutes longer than it deserved to be. I was getting a little bored by the end.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5844 on: August 10, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
Nothing wrong with some good, dumb fun, if it's well done good, dumb fun.

Why am I suddenly hungry for Thai food!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens