Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 554860 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5635 on: May 05, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm behind. I've just seen Black Panther.

As usual, a solid Marvel action flick. Most likely it's the first time ever that a movie of such magnitude has a 95% black cast and out of the two white guys one it's a villain and the other a sidekick (and well, given the subject matter it's only logical, you can't really have white people playing africans).
But there's white people in africa tho :P

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5636 on: May 06, 2018, 01:24:46 AM »
Is giving movies 10/10 some sort of new meme?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5637 on: May 06, 2018, 02:51:20 AM »
You say you expected worse from my description, and I suppose that's a good thing. I wonder if it would have pissed you off if you went into it unaware.

And I suppose what we're supposed to take away from the final scene is that Godboy took a liking to killing people and decided to use Oldman as his permanent decoy suspect. I found that whole bit pretty peculiar.

I don't think my opinion would have changed much, if it all, if I hadn't seen your review first. I don't value other people's opinions that highly. :neverusethis:
That ending did especially feel tacked on for the sake of continuing the story though, and was very out of left field. Still enjoyed the movie, but it doesn't feel like a story that needed continuing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5638 on: May 06, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »
Going through a marathon of the Star Wars movies. Watched a whole bunch of extras on the blurays of Rogue One, The Last Jedi and the OT.

Now watching the de-specialized editions of the Original Trilogy, such a fun watch. Done with A New Hope, watching Empire now..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5639 on: May 06, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
Cujo

I've always thought this movie was very well done.  It's a slower paced horror movie but it definitely gets intense when it needs to be, and Dee Wallace played her role to perfection.

If you haven't seen this one, I recommend it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5640 on: May 06, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »
Saw the first Avengers movie again tonight because I hadn’t seen it in quite a few years now. My opinions on it haven’t changed; it’s not all that great. It has some cool and classic moments, and I still feel echoes of my original excitement over seeing these heroes come together for the first time, but honestly, the movie itself isn’t really anything special. And the entire chitauri thing is just incredibly weak.

10/10

Feel like watching Age of Ultron next. Has been a while there too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:25:52 PM by BlackInk »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5641 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
I'm missing something.

"it's not all that great" + "the movie itself isn’t really anything special" + "the entire chitauri thing is just incredibly weak" = 10/10?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5642 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
I'm missing something.

"it's not all that great" + "the movie itself isn’t really anything special" + "the entire chitauri thing is just incredibly weak" = 10/10?

10/10=1

Right? So he's giving it a 1. I think. I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5643 on: May 06, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
I'm missing something.

Is giving movies 10/10 some sort of new meme?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5644 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »
Blade Runner 2049 (2017): 7/10

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5645 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
Damn good movie, it's a 9 for me :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5646 on: May 12, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »
Damn good movie, it's a 9 for me :metal
It is better than the first one and the cinematography is beautiful, but I think it could have been 30 minutes shorter.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #5647 on: May 12, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
It Comes At Night 7.5/10

An interesting slow burner type horror/thriller, definitely recommend it to any fans of the genre.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5648 on: May 12, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
Say Anything... (1989): 6/10

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5649 on: May 12, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Finally caught up with two uber super famous classics I never ever seen (hey, they were released before I was born):

Monty Python and the Holy Grail and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Holy Grail was funny. I thought therre could have been some cultural differences but it was funny back then and it's still funny now. Loved the absurdity of it and the peasant going on and on about how a lady handing you a sword from a lake isn't a proper method to select a ruler  :lol

Space Odyssey was BORING. Yeah, I get the importance of the film. I realize how it was groundbreaking at the time, also for the special effects. I also realize how Star Wars, Alien and basically every movie that ever took place in space owes a lot to this (there's also a "I have a bad feeling about this" line, are the SW lines a tribute?). Having said that, it felt like it lasted 2001 hours. Geez. I'll never get close to it again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5650 on: May 12, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
Speaking of classics, only now watched The Shawshank Redemption (1994): Damn  :'( . 4.5/5

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5651 on: May 12, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
Space Odyssey was BORING. Yeah, I get the importance of the film. I realize how it was groundbreaking at the time, also for the special effects. I also realize how Star Wars, Alien and basically every movie that ever took place in space owes a lot to this (there's also a "I have a bad feeling about this" line, are the SW lines a tribute?). Having said that, it felt like it lasted 2001 hours. Geez. I'll never get close to it again.

Exactly how I felt. Watching it a second time did not change my opinion one bit. Clearly very influential and important, but super pretentious and boring to me.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5652 on: May 13, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
Speaking of classics, only now watched The Shawshank Redemption (1994): Damn  :'( . 4.5/5
:hefdaddy

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5653 on: May 13, 2018, 02:47:40 AM »
I think I watched Shawshank Redemption about two years ago as part of my "watch the highest rated movies on IMDB" decision. While some of these were just alright (like Se7en), Shawshank Redemption was fantastic and quickly became one of my favourite movies ever.

I don't know what the deal is with giving movies 10/10, but this one is truly 10/10. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5654 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
I now realise how many movies have tried to pull the same thing, but end up just being a hollow cheesefest because of how boring their characters are, and how safe they play it overall, rushing through every scene and expecting the viewer to have made some emotional connection with them, and never putting them under real danger.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5655 on: May 19, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Red Sparrow - Really liked it. And while it was certainly uncomfortable at times, it wasn’t as chocking as I thought it would be. But yeah, cool and interesting movie.

Pacific Rim: Uprising - Meh.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5656 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:41 AM »
Pacific Rim: Uprising - Meh.

Yeah, kinda. The story was okay-ish, to try to justify another Robots vs Monsters match, but all in all it didn't hold like the first one.

Also, could a single eruption from the volcano in Japan could disrupt the entire ring of fire anyway?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5657 on: June 02, 2018, 05:53:42 AM »
I just watched Action Jackson, starring Carl Weathers. Great 80s action movie, very predictable cop backstory for the main character, but a lot of fun. Lots of people getting set on fire and/or being thrown out windows, and cars driving into buildings. Would recommend if you're into some awesome cheesy 80s action.

Al Leong played the role of "chauffeur" btw. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5658 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:59 AM »
Don't really remember a lot of that movie, other than it was a lot of fun.  Definitely Weathers' 3rd best character, and I couldn't even think of other memorable movies he did after this other than Chubbs/Happy Gilmore.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5659 on: June 02, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »
I couldn't even name anything he did past the 80s other than Happy Gilmore.

I'm guessing first two is Apollo Creed, and whatever his name was in Predator. What else is there?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5660 on: June 02, 2018, 06:44:46 AM »
That was a fun movie Blob.  Classic 80's action film.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5661 on: June 02, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »
I just watched Action Jackson, starring Carl Weathers. Great 80s action movie, very predictable cop backstory for the main character, but a lot of fun. Lots of people getting set on fire and/or being thrown out windows, and cars driving into buildings. Would recommend if you're into some awesome cheesy 80s action.

Al Leong played the role of "chauffeur" btw. :lol

Having an Asian driver is awesome, though.  Just ask The Green Hornet.  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5662 on: June 02, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
I just watched annihilation. That movie from the director of Ex Machina, which is Padme and Poe dameron.

Well, that was certainly a thing...   I didn't like it and and I didn't not like it.   It was like eating tofu or staring at a blank white wall. It potentially could have been interesting, but it gives its audience really nothing. I needed a little more. Its super ambigious. After watching it, I have no idea what went on or why it happened.

Reminded me a lot of arrival, but I liked that so much more.

So spoilers I guess, but there's really nothing to spoil:

Meteor crashes on earth. Has some alien shit or something. The alien shit starts mutating a small part of the earth and is expanding its change dome. Padme stops it some how. The end

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5663 on: June 03, 2018, 04:28:10 AM »
Tomb Raider.

Surprisingly good, I'd say. There are a few cliches of all action movies (the villain waits until forever to strike the deadly blow, trained shooters always miss the mark when aiming at the hero....) but all in all it was quite enjoyable. They also toned down a bit Lara, making her more "real" and not going for the big chested, scarcely dressed icon of the games, but that worked also, she showed badassery in other ways. If they keep up the quality I'm down for more movies!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5664 on: June 03, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
I really liked Annihilation. Delightfully strange.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5665 on: June 03, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »

Having an Asian driver is awesome, though. 

Said no one ever outside of movies/TV
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5666 on: June 03, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
True!  But we're discussing movies/TV so it's okay.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5667 on: June 04, 2018, 06:15:41 AM »
Escape Plan.

Fun little action movie with Stallone and Schwarzenegger. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5668 on: June 04, 2018, 06:20:42 AM »
Upgrade - pretty enjoyable for what it was, a movie about an computer upgraded human kicking ass. Managed to keep a decent plot and didn't fall into too many action movie stereotypes. Not gonna win any award, but it was good.

Lady Bird - not sure how I felt about this one. It was fine I guess, enjoyable at times. But overall I think it was pretty highly overrated.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5669 on: June 05, 2018, 01:26:42 AM »
Avengers Infinity War. Twice.  :omg:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....