Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 559966 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5600 on: April 25, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »
it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one".

Couldn't agree more

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5601 on: April 25, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »
it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have one".

Couldn't agree more

Absolutely, when you've got a mob-boss trying to kill you, a 'hit' out on your life, and have the FBI chasing you down while you have 6-figures worth of coke stashed under in a Motel-6 bed with your ex-hooker fiance.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5602 on: April 27, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
七人の侍 (Seven Samurai) (1954): 10/10  :hefdaddy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5603 on: April 27, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »
Been a long time since I watched that one, but :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #5604 on: April 28, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
七人の侍 (Seven Samurai) (1954): 10/10  :hefdaddy

I've seen half of that. Someday I should finish it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5605 on: April 28, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »
The Usual Suspects

I love that movie

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5606 on: April 30, 2018, 05:36:00 AM »
The Usual Suspects

I love that movie

#2 Movie of all-time for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #5607 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
The Usual Suspects

I love that movie

Great film, I still like it despite Spacey and Singer

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5608 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
Deep Blue Sea 2.  Disappointed,  not even one tenth as good as the first one..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5609 on: April 30, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »
Lego batman

I love batman, so I dug it. LOTs of great and subtle references

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5610 on: April 30, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
Lego batman

Awesome movie!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5611 on: April 30, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »
Lego batman

Rewatched that one quite recently, still love it. :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #5612 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »
Lego Batman is awesome. I love that movie way more than the Lego Movie. I think I must've seen it like 5 times already.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5613 on: May 01, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Lego Batman is awesome. I love that movie way more than the Lego Movie. I think I must've seen it like 5 times already.

Not sure if I could decide since I loved both, but I might give Batman the slight edge. Both had me cracking up from the start.
The Lego Ninjago movie however fell completely flat. Even within the first minute of the movie I could tell something was very wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5614 on: May 01, 2018, 03:12:56 AM »
Saw The Danish Girl. Mainly to see again Copenhagen which I visited last august, I confess. Good movie, not gonna watch it again I guess and as always it took some historical liberties but Eddie Raymane was stellar in this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5615 on: May 01, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »

I didn't even know they made a sequel. Didn't they kill all of the sharks at the end of the first one?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5616 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
Enter The Void (2009): 10/10

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5617 on: May 01, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

Just watched it too.  The lead actress was hot.

Also watched The Commuter.  Liam Neeson has just mastered these kinds of movies and this one is no different.  Lots of action and twists.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5618 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:06 AM »
They Live!

The back alley scene just might be the best fight scene in movie history!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5619 on: May 02, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »
They Live!

The back alley scene just might be the best fight scene in movie history!

And best reenacted by South Park! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ozzy554

« Reply #5620 on: May 02, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
 Death Rides a Horse (1967)

Day of Anger (1967)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5621 on: May 02, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »

I saw it on Netflix as a random movie that sounded interesting. It really was a great movie.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5622 on: May 02, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »

I saw it on Netflix as a random movie that sounded interesting. It really was a great movie.
Yeah, I have to try watching it high.  ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5623 on: May 02, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »

Yeah, I have to try watching it high.  ;D

My friend wasn't high or anything, but after that scene she couldn't watch it anymore. It was too intense and then the rest totally flipped her out. I just laughed and told her "its a good movie though."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5624 on: May 03, 2018, 05:35:27 AM »
Enter the void is one sad ass movie. Really good, really interesting but definitely sad  :'(

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5625 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
Seul Contre Tous (1998): 10/10  :hefdaddy

This one is 10 times sadder than Enter The Void

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5626 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
I saw the other day that the sequel to The Man From Earth was released late last year so I immediately downloaded it. I loved the original, even though it completely shit the bed in the final 3 minutes. This one did the same thing but even worse. It turns out that the people involved did a Kickstarter or Patreon thing to get the movie made, but hoping for a third one they omitted a good 20 minutes to leave questions unanswered. We're not talking about a cliffhanger, will he live or die, or even a mystery, who was it that killed him. We're talking about jumping from the onset of the climax to the conclusion of the film. This really pissed me off. It's as if we see Han and Leah attack the Imperial base, Luke being captured by Darth Vader, and Lando flying towards the Death Star, and then a screen wipe takes us to the big Ewok jamboree with no mention of what happened in the preceding twelve hours.  It's infuriating.

The producer/director (same guy as the first one) introduced the film by saying that if you like it donate a few bucks their way. He'd distributed it via TPB. I thought that was very reasonable and I very well have sent ten bucks his way if he didn't turn out to be such an asshole. Make a good movie set in a world I like and I'll contribute towards you being able to make more. Make 2/3 of a movie hoping that I'll send money to see the last third is bullshit, though.

As for the rest of the movie, it's not bad. It focuses more on the sleuthing of Mystery, Inc. than it does Oldman/Young, which is a shame. The kids were mostly bad actors, and the girl who played the hottie didn't quite qualify, but they weren't awful. The Christian maniac was actually very good, though, and when things finally come to blows it had the same captivating quality as the original. It also featured some very nice cinematography.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5627 on: May 04, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
I was totally unaware they made a sequel. Shame to hear it's that bad, but I might check it out anyway just out of curiosity.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5628 on: May 04, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
I was totally unaware they made a sequel. Shame to hear it's that bad, but I might check it out anyway just out of curiosity.
You should definitely check it out, simply because you like the world created by the original. I always love coming back to familiar surroundings. Just be aware of how deliberately unsatisfying it is before becoming too emotionally invested. Had I read my review before watching it I wouldn't have been pissed off by it. Expecting a complete movie I certainly was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5629 on: May 04, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
밀정 (The Age of Shadows) (2016): 8/10

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5630 on: May 05, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
I saw the other day that the sequel to The Man From Earth was released late last year so I immediately downloaded it. I loved the original, even though it completely shit the bed in the final 3 minutes. This one did the same thing but even worse. It turns out that the people involved did a Kickstarter or Patreon thing to get the movie made, but hoping for a third one they omitted a good 20 minutes to leave questions unanswered. We're not talking about a cliffhanger, will he live or die, or even a mystery, who was it that killed him. We're talking about jumping from the onset of the climax to the conclusion of the film. This really pissed me off. It's as if we see Han and Leah attack the Imperial base, Luke being captured by Darth Vader, and Lando flying towards the Death Star, and then a screen wipe takes us to the big Ewok jamboree with no mention of what happened in the preceding twelve hours.  It's infuriating.

The producer/director (same guy as the first one) introduced the film by saying that if you like it donate a few bucks their way. He'd distributed it via TPB. I thought that was very reasonable and I very well have sent ten bucks his way if he didn't turn out to be such an asshole. Make a good movie set in a world I like and I'll contribute towards you being able to make more. Make 2/3 of a movie hoping that I'll send money to see the last third is bullshit, though.

As for the rest of the movie, it's not bad. It focuses more on the sleuthing of Mystery, Inc. than it does Oldman/Young, which is a shame. The kids were mostly bad actors, and the girl who played the hottie didn't quite qualify, but they weren't awful. The Christian maniac was actually very good, though, and when things finally come to blows it had the same captivating quality as the original. It also featured some very nice cinematography.

I just watched the movie, and I definitely agree with everything in your last paragraph, but I didn't find the movie totally unsatisfying or majorly incomplete. Not that I'm really disagreeing either, but I was expecting worse from your review, especially as I agree on the first film dropping the ball hard in the last few minutes.
I don't think the problem was a lack of conclusion so much as a lack of focus. Like, why did this need to be made, and what did it really add to the world? The mystery would have been better had we not already known everything, so that didn't reveal that much new to us. The real big revelation of the film was that the guy might not be immortal anymore, but that didn't go anywhere, so I can see why that was more of a tease than anything.
From the second the religious kid said he'd take over, you knew what was gonna happen, and that kind of scene always bugs the shit out of me, but it did have some interesting stuff. And I missed the speculative historical fiction aspect of the first film.

At least the production values were much better this time. Still lacked polish, and a lot of the actors were trash, but not bad overall.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5631 on: May 05, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »

I just watched the movie, and I definitely agree with everything in your last paragraph, but I didn't find the movie totally unsatisfying or majorly incomplete. Not that I'm really disagreeing either, but I was expecting worse from your review, especially as I agree on the first film dropping the ball hard in the last few minutes.
I don't think the problem was a lack of conclusion so much as a lack of focus. Like, why did this need to be made, and what did it really add to the world? The mystery would have been better had we not already known everything, so that didn't reveal that much new to us. The real big revelation of the film was that the guy might not be immortal anymore, but that didn't go anywhere, so I can see why that was more of a tease than anything.
From the second the religious kid said he'd take over, you knew what was gonna happen, and that kind of scene always bugs the shit out of me, but it did have some interesting stuff. And I missed the speculative historical fiction aspect of the first film.

At least the production values were much better this time. Still lacked polish, and a lot of the actors were trash, but not bad overall.
I don't really need a reason for a film to be. Ars gratia artis. If it's a world I'm interested in I'll enjoy a story about it, so long as it's not shit. I agree that it lacked focus, but it provided a check-in on Oldman and TGAM and what's happened to them since, and that's fine by me.

You say you expected worse from my description, and I suppose that's a good thing. I wonder if it would have pissed you off if you went into it unaware.

And I suppose what we're supposed to take away from the final scene is that Godboy took a liking to killing people and decided to use Oldman as his permanent decoy suspect. I found that whole bit pretty peculiar.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #5632 on: May 05, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
I just got home from seeing Infinity War for the second time (this time in 3D). You'd think that knowing what happens would make it hurt less. It doesn't. This movie is amazing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5633 on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »
I'm behind. I've just seen Black Panther.

As usual, a solid Marvel action flick. Most likely it's the first time ever that a movie of such magnitude has a 95% black cast and out of the two white guys one it's a villain and the other a sidekick (and well, given the subject matter it's only logical, you can't really have white people playing africans).

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5634 on: May 05, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Captain Fantastic (2016): 10/10