Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 557973 times)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #5180 on: November 05, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
Over the past few weeks:

Underworld - I had watched Evolution and Awakening a few months ago, and finally caught the first one in full (I had never really watched it).  Kate Beckinsale in leather...with guns.    :heart

Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution

I saw the first one when it came out, but never kept up with the series.  Having a newborn baby at home gave me plenty of time to watch these four movies during middle of the night feedings. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #5181 on: November 06, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
50/50. I love this movie so much, one of the few movies I decided to watch in the theater when it came out. When it came out on bluray I got it right away and would watch it so many times, hadn't seen it in a while. Man is this one of the best movies depicting all these emotions and all the shitty things you go through. So well done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5182 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:15 AM »
Watched all 4 Scream movies.

Scream - Loved this at the time.  Probably watched it well over 10 times, but not since the turn of millennium.   Was really pleased it holds up really well, the Drew Barrymore sequence at the start is utterly classic.   The rest of the film builds up cleverly then the shit hits the fan at the party finale.  The reveal is well done, and Stu is a utterly hilarious character.  I have no problem saying this is one of the best films of the 90's.  9/10

Scream 2 - Saw this at the cinema, then maybe once since.   It's a solid film, not in the same league as the original, the reveal is of the killer(s) is clever again (Cool to see a young Timothy Olyphant!).  But there is quite a lot of dead air padding in the middle of the movie, and the finale isn't as much fun as the original film.  6/10

Scream 3 - Saw this once on DVD.  Erm yeah couldn't really remember much about it, and that's not surprising as it's a poor film.   Oddly lifeless and dull, boring reveal, no cool deaths.  And Courtney Cox hair is really, really bad.   3/10.

Scream 4 - Never seen this before, kid off forget it existed (It's already 7 years old!).   It's actually OK, but doesn't really mess with the formula.  The reveal actually surprised me and slightly underwhelmed me.  The climax in the hospital is too silly, I'd put it on par with part 2.   6/10.

I'm tempted to try the TV show, which looks like it's had two season so far.  Anyone watched it, opinions?

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #5183 on: November 09, 2017, 04:57:52 AM »
Incendies. Wow. What a rollercoaster. Denis Villeneuve is easily the best director out there currently.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5184 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »
Saw “Murder on the Orient Express” this evening.

No crows on the train. Title was misleading.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:50:44 PM by Accelerando »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #5185 on: November 10, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
Incendies. Wow. What a rollercoaster. Denis Villeneuve is easily the best director out there currently.
Nah, that would be Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5186 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »
Nah, that would be Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson.

Close! It's actually the love child of those two. Paul W. S. Anderson.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #5187 on: November 11, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Colossal - Really good actually! Some very silly plot holes involving the passage of time, and the entire premise is a bit wonky, but a surprisingly good movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5188 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »
Atomic Blonde - Action scenes were really great and I wish more action films went this style, but overall I didn't think the structure or plot was that engaging and I found myself bored a lot between action scenes because I didn't really care about what was happening. I also felt the movie tried too hard at times to be a Spy movie where you have 3-4 twists at the end to make you question what happened earlier, which didn't quite work for me.

Good Time - Surprisingly great movie with Robert Pattinson giving a really good performance. He robs a bank with his mentally challenged brother and it doesn't turn out well with the brother getting arrested, and the movie follows a frantic night of Robert Pattinson's character trying to get him out. It was pretty fascinating because there's a lot of weird stuff that happens that you don't normally get in a movie and some surprises I didn't see coming. A movie that grew on me while watching it, cause I did not expect to like it that much after the first few minutes.

Wind River - Maybe my favorite movie of the year so far? It's up there at least. Set in remote area of Wyoming, the body of a young woman is found and FBI agent Elizabeth Olsen teams up with hunter/tracker Jeremy Renner to find out what happened. Really great slow paced drama/crime movie which reminded me a bit of last year's Hell or High Water, which was written by the director for this one. Highly recommend.

Online Adami

« Reply #5189 on: November 12, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »
Arrival - WOAH. I had been putting this off for a long time because I knew it would require my full attention. This is an amazing movie. I am so happy this guy is making top notch sci-fi in these days of explosion fest movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5190 on: November 13, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
^^^Arrival is awesome

Today I watched for the first time The Crucible from 1996 with Daniel day lewis and winona ryder. Its a film about the Salem witch trials and it was quite a watch. Its truly horrifying what people are capable off.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5191 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
Yeah I freaking LOVE Arrival. So far anything I've seen by Denis has been amazing. I still haven't seen his Blade Runner, just haven't gotten the chance to see it in the Theater yet. I'm trying desperately to find a time to see it.

Watched a few movies myself lately, all rewatches except for one.

Furious 7, The Fate of the Furious, Drive, Sicario. I have a soft spot for the F&F franchise and I think the last one might actually be my favorite. It's so over the top and cheesy but IMO well connected that it makes it super entertaining to see. It keeps me engaged throughout.

La La Land - Man what a movie, already a huge fan of Damien Chazelle and he really upped his game on this movie. Beautifully crafted story and visually well made.Going to have to see Moonlight next to see how that got the best movie nod over this movie, not that it matters.  I need to go see these kind of movies in the theater. I think I'm already fatigued by the Marvel/DC franchise. I love them all but I need to go on a different track for a little while.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5192 on: November 16, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »
So, inspired by seeing them all lined up in a multimedia store, I went and saw all the Universal classic horror movies, the ones of the 30s / 40s. Some brief comments about them, not speaking of course about the technical aspects because it would be more than unfair to judge old films by today's visual standards...

DRACULA - I think this movie was carried by Bela Lugosi. They got the perfect look (and proposed over and over the same shot of his menacing eyes) and that was enough to sustain the movie, the initial part in Transylvania was fantastic but the London part was fairly standard. They never show Dracula biting anyone, the scene always fades out when he's about to do it, all the gory vampire activity is just implied. The ending is kinda underwhelming, Dracula just goes to sleep in the morning where he can be stabbed without worries by Van Helsing. Uh well. Still as said Bela Lugosi defined the Dracula look for ages to come, only Gary Holmes is a worthy alternative.

FRANKENSTEIN - Also this movie is carried by the exceptional design of the creature. We all know Boris Karloff's look of Frankenstein's monster and seeing the movie it's easy to see how it became so iconic. Story's kinda classic, some minor logical leaps here and there but all in all a movie well worth its fame.

THE WOLFMAN - Probably the most well rounded of them all, telling a nice and cohesive story. Even back in the day the gimmick of giving a minor role to a big name was already in practice, since Bela Lugosi plays a short lived gypsy. As with the other movies there's not really a prolonged ending, when the action ends, in this case with bad things for the wolfman, the movie just finishes. But it was quite entertaining to watch.

THE MUMMY - This one I didn't like very much. The story was fine and the flashbacks to Egypt were interesting, but all in all it didn't really interest me that much. Also the ending is a bit too easy.

THE INVISIBLE MAN - Another treat! maybe the protagonist is not as iconic as the other monsters, and he wasn't a monster anyway but  a mad scientists, but it was captivating to see the bad guy outsmarting the good guys and even one of the protagonists.

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - The most different of them all I guess, it's also more recent so it's a bit more advanced in style and technology, and while I'm not crazy about the idea of an amphibian man as the antagonist, it was interesting enough to watch it all.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - I went for the "hardcore" edition, the silent 1925 movie. I thought it would have been the most difficult to watch, just not being used to silent movies with title cards to speak the dialogue, but especially towards the end I was anyway immersed in the story. Very faithful to the book, it made me remember many detals now lost in the general perception of the character, thanks to the -anyway masterful- musical of Andrew Lloyd Webber. The look of the Phantom was absolutely great, I can imagine people being horrified by it back in the day. I hope for some other book-to-screen adaptation one day, to get back to the root of the story, since everyone nowadays associate the Phantom with the musical.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5193 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »
Nice! I haven't seen the last two of those, but I have the others, along with most of the sequels and crossovers. :lol

The thing about those original adaptations is that they're pretty straightforward by today standards, but they really defined those roles, especially in the case of Frankenstein and Dracula. A lot of those traits we consider trademark come directly from those movies. When people speak like "Dracula" they're just copying Bela Lugosi's natural accent.

Mostly agree on the films, although I didn't think much of The Wolfman. The effects were great, but I found it a bit basic. I personally preferred Werewolf of London (1935). Agreed entirely on The Mummy.
The Invisible Man is probably my favourite of the bunch, and the sequels weren't bad either (The Invisible Man Returns has Vincent Price). And it had the most advanced effects of the bunch for the time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5194 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »
The thing about those original adaptations is that they're pretty straightforward by today standards, but they really defined those roles, especially in the case of Frankenstein and Dracula. A lot of those traits we consider trademark come directly from those movies. When people speak like "Dracula" they're just copying Bela Lugosi's natural accent.

Indeed! Sometimes I would think to myself how standard and predictable a scene was looking, only to realize that those scenes were the ones who started the trademark in the first place.

Also being an Iced Earth fan helps, seeing these movies knowing their album Horror Show really points out of much of an influence they've been  :D I think their song Dracula is mostly inspired by the 1992 movie, but the line "There are far worse things awaiting man than death" is taken straight from the Bela Lugosi one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5195 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
House of Wax, the remake. It was on TV the other night, that is one crazy movie!  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5196 on: November 24, 2017, 05:06:29 AM »
So, inspired by seeing them all lined up in a multimedia store, I went and saw all the Universal classic horror movies, the ones of the 30s / 40s. Some brief comments about them, not speaking of course about the technical aspects because it would be more than unfair to judge old films by today's visual standards...

DRACULA - I think this movie was carried by Bela Lugosi. They got the perfect look (and proposed over and over the same shot of his menacing eyes) and that was enough to sustain the movie, the initial part in Transylvania was fantastic but the London part was fairly standard. They never show Dracula biting anyone, the scene always fades out when he's about to do it, all the gory vampire activity is just implied. The ending is kinda underwhelming, Dracula just goes to sleep in the morning where he can be stabbed without worries by Van Helsing. Uh well. Still as said Bela Lugosi defined the Dracula look for ages to come, only Gary Holmes is a worthy alternative.

FRANKENSTEIN - Also this movie is carried by the exceptional design of the creature. We all know Boris Karloff's look of Frankenstein's monster and seeing the movie it's easy to see how it became so iconic. Story's kinda classic, some minor logical leaps here and there but all in all a movie well worth its fame.

THE WOLFMAN - Probably the most well rounded of them all, telling a nice and cohesive story. Even back in the day the gimmick of giving a minor role to a big name was already in practice, since Bela Lugosi plays a short lived gypsy. As with the other movies there's not really a prolonged ending, when the action ends, in this case with bad things for the wolfman, the movie just finishes. But it was quite entertaining to watch.

THE MUMMY - This one I didn't like very much. The story was fine and the flashbacks to Egypt were interesting, but all in all it didn't really interest me that much. Also the ending is a bit too easy.

THE INVISIBLE MAN - Another treat! maybe the protagonist is not as iconic as the other monsters, and he wasn't a monster anyway but  a mad scientists, but it was captivating to see the bad guy outsmarting the good guys and even one of the protagonists.

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - The most different of them all I guess, it's also more recent so it's a bit more advanced in style and technology, and while I'm not crazy about the idea of an amphibian man as the antagonist, it was interesting enough to watch it all.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - I went for the "hardcore" edition, the silent 1925 movie. I thought it would have been the most difficult to watch, just not being used to silent movies with title cards to speak the dialogue, but especially towards the end I was anyway immersed in the story. Very faithful to the book, it made me remember many detals now lost in the general perception of the character, thanks to the -anyway masterful- musical of Andrew Lloyd Webber. The look of the Phantom was absolutely great, I can imagine people being horrified by it back in the day. I hope for some other book-to-screen adaptation one day, to get back to the root of the story, since everyone nowadays associate the Phantom with the musical.

If you're a fan of classic horror movies, watch the Hammer House of Horror movies from the 50's-70's. Especially the ones with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. They're all pretty solid. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5197 on: November 24, 2017, 05:11:32 AM »
Out of that era so far I've seen only The Wicker Man (with Christopher Lee of course, not Nicholas Cage  :lol ). That was excellent!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5198 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:11 AM »
Phone Booth- Always liked this one and thought the premise was pretty cool.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5199 on: November 24, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
In the spirit of the thread, last movie seen: Barney Thomson.

Robert Carsyle of Transpotting fame is an unfunny and unlucky barber who finds himself involved much against his will and all because of circumstances in the search for a grisly serial killer.

It's an absolutely hilarous and funny black comedy, as dark in its content as funny as it turns out. Exagerated scottish accents all around, but they add to the charm of the situation. Many LOL moments all around, very recommended!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5200 on: November 24, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
lazy day today. so introduced my twin 10 year olds to some classics

JAWS: my favorite movie ever. LOL I saw it in the theater when I was 8. They liked it.

West Side Story: Lets say they liked Jaws better.

WSS is still one of my favorite movies ever

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5201 on: November 25, 2017, 04:59:29 AM »
Saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Pretty nice! of course it's inevitable that it was a CGI fest but it was tastefully done, and the story actually was well thought. Some evidently homages to Star Wars (scene in the desert, the protagonists at a point try to escape through a trash disposal, the female protagonist is forced to dress up nice for the obese capturer etc), but they actually come across as homages and not blatant ripoffs.

Also there's Cara Delevigne in this and she's to the eyes what the final solo of Octavarium is to the ears, plus more.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5202 on: November 25, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

JAWS: my favorite movie ever. LOL I saw it in the theater when I was 8. They liked it.

At the risk of being judgmental, I cannot imagine showing 10-year old kids a movie as terrifying as Jaws.  Maybe I am old-fashioned, but it's not something I would personally do.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5203 on: November 25, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »

At the risk of being judgmental, I cannot imagine showing 10-year old kids a movie as terrifying as Jaws.  Maybe I am old-fashioned, but it's not something I would personally do.

At that age Scream and A Nightmare on Elm street were my favorite movies lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5204 on: November 26, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

I was 5 when I saw Child's Play, and would frequent the horror section at Blockbuster, looking at the covers on the vhs box. I enjoyed horror tales, for some reason.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5205 on: November 26, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
I spent this weekend pulling out some movies I hadn't seen in AGES. 

Friday night I watched Garden State.  Loved it even more now than when I first bought it.

Then I watched an extremely little known film called Uncorked with Minnie Driver.  (I guess it was Uncorked in the US, but called At Sachem Farm or Higher Love in other parts of the world)   It's just a beautiful film about the futile things we chase that we think will make us happy, when the real things that make us happy are things we already have. 

Then last night I finally watched The Story of Anvil.  I've owned a used copy for years, and just never got around to watching it til last night.  That was just a blast.  (I still think that movie could have just as easily been written about Raven)

Then I watched the old classic Yellowbeard starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Madeline Kahn, Cheech and Chong, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, Peter Cook and James Mason (among others).   Cleese and Idle have gone on record as saying it was the worst movie they had ever made, but my wife and I have always adored the film, and we hadn't seen it since we first bought it almost 10 years ago.   

Top that off with my LOTR Extended Cut Marathon on Thanksgiving day, and a couple of the brand new Mystery Science Theater episodes....and I guess I had quite the movie weekend.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5206 on: November 26, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
I watched L.A. Confidential the other day and was reminded how awesome it is. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Spacey, Pearce, Crowe and Cromwell are all magnificent, and Basinger, DeVito and Strathairn are all damn good as well.  Amazing cast, fantastic cinematography, and a great story.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5207 on: November 26, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
In my random Wikipedia tours I stumbled upon the page about the death of Bin Laden, so I got interested and watched Zero Dark Thirty. I must say I quite liked it. Maybe not being american helped me to distance more from the issue (I'm sure that the movie was hotly debated for his most controversial topics, as the depiction of torture), and concentrate more on the story; at its core, it's a story of unknown people working in the shadows to patiently reach their goal, it's a "spy" story in a sense, a thriller and a long and painstaking investigation work.

I like these stories about people in the background doing silently their secret job - The Imitation Game, just reading of the Manhattan project and how workers were told they'd help win the war and the war was won anyway and they all felt cheated but the atomic bomb program instead carried on, even the hunt for mafia boss Totò Riina who, yay, finally died last week at 87... the hunt for Bin Laden falls under this category, leaving completely politics out of it the core story of finding and stalking the Abbotabad residence is very interesting. For sure liberties must have been taken but I also liked the reality of the raid - they didn't make Bin Laden the "ultimate level villain" to go down in a fiery and dramatic scene with the proper soundtrack playing, I actually didn't even realize immediately they had actually whacked him when it happened, because that's how exactly it would go down in a real life scenario of a frantic operation at night.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5208 on: November 26, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
John Wick: Chapter 2

Just like the first one, only more, and more.  Possibly the ultimate triumph of style over substance, I found myself simultaneously laughing at how wafer-thin the plot was -- just enough to provide a story to move us from one set piece to another -- and marvelling at how incredibly fucking cool it all was.  If your style-to-substance ratio is like 90 to 1, it's okay if your style is over 9000.  Yeah, it's literally more of the same stuff from the first one, but the first was was awesome, and so was this.

Five bullet-ridden corpses out of five.  Would watch again, and laugh.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5209 on: November 26, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Funny you mention John Wick 2. I just saw it myself and it is as entertaining as the first one, though only one minor issue I had was that some of the fight choreography at certain times looked a bit clumsy. But those were very few and I loved how full tilt this movie went. The first was fun crazy action, but this one was all out crazy fun action.

Online Adami

« Reply #5210 on: November 26, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »
Manchester By the Sea.

:'( :'( :'(/10
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5211 on: November 27, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »
Kong: Skull Island.   

The World is Not Enough, Goldeneye, License to Kill - I've now seen all of the Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig Bond films.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5212 on: November 27, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
Brazil (1985) - Finally bought and watched this after hearing how good it was for many years. It did not disappoint. It's also the only movie I've seen that made Michael Palin genuinely creepy lol.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5213 on: December 02, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »
Kingsman 2 - The Golden Circle.

Absolutely ridiculous and over the top just like the first one, but it's a kind of over-the-topness that works. Very enjoyable all the way through, once you get in the mindset that you're essentially watching a comic book portrayed in a movie (with all the absurd exagerations that you can have in comics), the fun basically never stops. And the plot even has its own internal coherence!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5214 on: December 03, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Kingsman 2 - Enjoyable sequel that isn't quite on the level as the first movie. Would still recommend it as a 3/5, but the first one just felt tighter story-wise and this one went more crazy.

Split - Good movie from M Night Shamhammer and I'm intrigued to see where they go with Glass. Not quite as good as Sixth Sense or Unbreakable, but probably his best since?

Patriot's Day - Solid drama movie that was pretty much what you would expect when you hear a Berg/Wahlberg team up. It was well made and I enjoyed it.

Logan Lucky - Fun little heist movie by Soderbergh starring Channing Tatum/Adam Driver as two brothers who enlist Daniel Craig to help them with a heist. Great cast and entertaining overall.