Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 552978 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #490 on: July 19, 2015, 01:30:40 AM »
I've actually heard good things about Maggie, so I'm still curious to see it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2015, 02:15:20 AM »
The cemetery next door to me showed Big Hero 6. What an adorable movie  :D :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #492 on: July 19, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
The cemetery next door to me showed Big Hero 6.

This does not compute.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
Equal rights for dead people. They want movies too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2015, 06:49:14 AM »
Leave it to Jackie to buy a house next to a cemetery............that plays movies.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: July 19, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »
Sitting in the theater waiting for Ant Man to start.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
Just took the grandkids to see Minions....  I thought it was cute, and had some real LOL moments.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Going to see Inside Out tonight with my date. Looking forward to crying on her shoulder. :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #498 on: July 19, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »
Leave it to Jackie to buy a house next to a cemetery............that plays movies.

Right?!  :hat

(PS- after all of that Delirium Tremens last night I didn't even remember posting in here  :lol)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: July 19, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Then it was a good night!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #500 on: July 19, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
Just saw 12 Monkeys for the first time. I definitely enjoyed it and Pitt was really damn good. How does the show match up with the movie? More of a spin-off?
The show is not a spin-off.  It is a re-telling, with a ton of new info and background.  It was done by the producers of the film.

It feels like I haven't seen the film in 20 years or so, so I'm not sure I can give a fair comparison.  But the show was awesome.

I watched Kingsman over vacation last week.  That was a load of fun.  I loved the way the action scenes were shot.  Fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #501 on: July 19, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
The Rogue Cut of Days of Future Past didn't add or take anything away from the movie. I can see why her scenes were cut. I still enjoyed it though. There were some alternate takes/scenes, but overall the movie was basically the same. Most of the additional footage was Rogue being rescued. Then she just took over for Kitty and that was it. The Blu-ray has both versions and was the same price as the DVD, so good deal.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: July 19, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »

I LOVE BIG HERO 6.

Everything in that film is just SPOT ON.

I laughed my arse off when I was supposed to and I bawled like a baby when I was supposed to and the visuals are amazing.

That first flight scene with Baymax is incredible. So So So Good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #503 on: July 19, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
I just watched Pan's labyrinth after many years of meaning to see it. Didn't care for it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
Inside Out was just marvelous. It was written so well and I was just amazed by it. I don't understand people that say Pixar movies are "just for kids". Very untrue.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
I just watched Pan's labyrinth after many years of meaning to see it. Didn't care for it.

Interesting....  I thought it was quite good, even though for me it was a foreign language film.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »

I've been meaning to watch that one for years too, and was probably just about to finally get around to seeing it. What didn't you like about it?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:46 AM »
I thought it was a great movie, but it definitely didn't live up to the expectations I had for it after hearing so much praise over the years.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #508 on: July 20, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
I thought it was a great movie, but it definitely didn't live up to the expectations I had for it after hearing so much praise over the years.

Pretty much this for me too. Still a great movie, even though hype has damaged it somewhat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #509 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »

I've been meaning to watch that one for years too, and was probably just about to finally get around to seeing it. What didn't you like about it?

Honestly, I do respect the film and think it was really well made overall, but A couple of things I guess, why I didn't really enjoy it:

1. It had been way too hyped up. I've been hearing really great things about it for a long time now and the actual reason why I watched it was yesterday at work my co worker told me I had to see it and built it up very big.

2. Next, and this one is on me, but I really assumed it would be something totally different. I thought it was going to be like never ending story or something along those lines. Like 10% real world and 90% fantasy world. 

Well it turned out to be 90% real world and 10% fantasy. And overall, it was less of a fantasy film and more of a WW2 historical drama. So I acknowledge that's totally on me for having the wrong expectations.

3. Third, I don't really know how to explain this, but watching it made me feel very unhappy and not like a schindler's list kind of feeling like "wow this is awful, but a lesson can be learned here". Pan's labyrinth was just sad event after sad event and ended in tragedy, and I'm trying very hard not to spoil anything. When It was over I felt sad and unhappy, and that's not what I was really looking for last night.

4. Next, this one is really just a personal thing. I don't like and have no desire to see an abusive step father ruin a family. If I would have know that I would have watched something else. I've had enough of that for one life time.

So overall, I just was expecting something totally different and this film was just not for me personally. But if other people really enjoyed it, that's cool too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:24 AM »
Those seem like fair points, and I have similar preconceptions of what the film is from what little I know of it. But from what you've explained, it doesn't sound like my kind of film either.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
Sounds like you let your preconception hurt your enjoyment.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #512 on: July 20, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »

I agree

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »

It sounds like it was also a case of the reality of what the movie was not being so much to his tastes as the preconception would have been.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:34 AM »
Sure but when you pump any movie up before seeing it, it can ruin your enjoyment.  It's been out for a long time and many knew that war story was a big part of the movie.  Sometimes we pick what we want to read to before seeing a movie.  I admit I've done that too much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:44 AM »
Sure but when you pump any movie up before seeing it, it can ruin your enjoyment.  It's been out for a long time and many knew that war story was a big part of the movie.  Sometimes we pick what we want to read to before seeing a movie.  I admit I've done that too much.

I've heard a lot about how good it is, and this is the first I've heard of it having anything to do with a war. All I see/hear about it is the fantasy bit.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: July 20, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
I bet it was right in front of you too! :lol

the fantasy scenes are lush and beautiful that add to the serious tone of the movie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: July 20, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »

the fantasy scenes are lush and beautiful that add to the serious tone of the movie.

I think the fact that two of us had the same expectation is enough to suggest it's not our own fault (or necessarily anyone's in particular) that we got that impression.
I'm taking it off my watchlist now.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: July 20, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »
Even though it's been overhyped like I said, I still think it's a movie people should see. I didn't see it myself until last year, but it's still a good one and makes me a bit sad when someone takes it off their watchlist.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »

I think the fact that two of us had the same expectation is enough to suggest it's not our own fault (or necessarily anyone's in particular) that we got that impression.
I'm taking it off my watchlist now.

Oh there's no blame. I think it's a human instinct and I've done it myself. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
Saw Ant-Man yesterday.  That was fantastic.  Tons of fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #521 on: July 20, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Pan's Labyrinth is beautiful and sad, and that's why I love it.

I LOVE BIG HERO 6.

Everything in that film is just SPOT ON.

I laughed my arse off when I was supposed to and I bawled like a baby when I was supposed to and the visuals are amazing.

That first flight scene with Baymax is incredible. So So So Good.

Totally agree. It was like, so many of my childhood fantasies coming true. So good.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #522 on: July 20, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »

Could I take an eight and nine year old to it? My two oldest are begging me to see it.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »

Could I take an eight and nine year old to it? My two oldest are begging me to see it.....

Yeah, I think so. It's got some adult humor, but it's got family friendly stuff in it, and I'm sure your kids wouldn't understand some of the adult humor :P

And it's definitely fun, has good action and it's hilarious!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #524 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »
Okay.  Over the last couple days I've watched:

Jurassic World - This was a pleasant surprise.  I have little to no interest in the franchise, and wasn't really looking forward to this, but it really delivered; especially the last 30-40 mins.  Good film, wouldn't mind watching it again.

Ted - Yes, the first one.  It wasn't as good as...

Ted 2 - Much better than the first, with way more laughs.  Good, juvenile humour which is good every once in a while. 

Spy - Melissa McCarthy's breakthrough?  Highly enjoyable, if a bit predictable, good laughs all round A+ would trade again. 

Looking forward to watching The Wolfpack soon - saw a doco on it the other night that piqued my interest.