Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 553075 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #455 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
Watch One Crazy Summer next for your 80's Cusack fill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
Brothers. Fantastic acting by Tobey Maguire!

And just watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time in my life. What a beautiful movie  :'(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:52:11 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #457 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:36 AM »
And just watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time in my life. What a beautiful movie  :'(

Indeed. One of my all time favorites.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
Just finished The Fugitive. Very good and suspenseful just like Collateral.

When he walked down the hospital and I saw all the children I though "really? you're gonna have him help a child to build sympathy for him? That'll be super cheesy". But then the way they did it made the scene that followed fantastic. A very weird thing to have my opinion on a scene change so fast, even though they basically did what I thought they would and what I thought I wouldn't like.

Tommy Lee Jones' character was great as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #459 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
Prometheus was fascinating because while the premise had some promise the movie succeeded in making me not give a shit about any of the characters.

Sadly, yes. 

By the way, there is a separate thread on Prometheus, for those who may not know or forgot.  Here is a link to my more detailed thoughts after first seeing the film:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29871.msg1311903#msg1311903

First off, I edited the thread title to include a spoiler alert.  It's a movie thread for a movie that is now out.  If people honestly don't know the thread will contain spoilers, they should have their Internet privileges revoked.

Anyhow, saw it on Friday.  And let me just say, I liked the film. I didn't love it. But I liked it. Let me also say right up front that Scott was in a difficult position. It is a given that the film was going to evoke a lot of imagery from Alien, and that certain things were going to happen certain ways. Just inevitable. He handed that as well as could possibly be expected, I think. And, yeah, pretty much every big event in the film was predictable. With Scott directing, that predictability was tolerable. With anyone else directing, it would have been a boring mess.  But let's face facts:  Most of us, myself included, would have seen it even if it were horrible.

All that being said, even putting aside my theological issues with the movie and how stupid the whole "superior aliens from far, far away created us" myth is, it was a fun 3/5 movie that I would see again just to be able to fill in some of the gaps in my own mind for certain issues. That's my overall impression. I few specifics, positive and negative:

1. So, the premise basically centers around the fact that the engineers essentially created what appears to be a weaponized virus that re-engineers the DNA of whatever it infects to creae mutated parasitic life forms that multiply rapidly and destroy all non-virus-based life forms. Pretty cool, interesting, and frightening premise. So far, I'm on board. The fact that they were basically in a military bunker added to the effect. Perhaps it was just my military background kicking in, but when the Prometheus first found the bunkers and was landing, my first thought was, "those look like either munitions bunkers or burial mounds." Turns out I was essentially correct on both counts.

2. Despite the coolness of #1 above, Scott made some gaffes in the genetics area. Namely, the Engineers are NOT a complete, 100% genetic match with humans. If they were, they wouldn't be so different from us. It would have been such a simple thing to say they are almost a complete match. Small detail, but it is attention to the small details that often takes a good movie and makes it great. This was small, but at the same time, glaring, IMO.

3. Why did the Engineer in the beginning drink the virus in the first place? And why did it have the effect on him that it did? I think that scene was meant to imply that his DNA basically spread around to create life here on earth. But it just didn't seem to make sense to me. First off, the virus doesn't shatter DNA elsewhere in the film. It modifies it. Second, if that's how they were going to create life, surely there were better ways to spread Engineer DNA than a suicide mission. Third, I thought the cave painting were supposed to indicate that humans lived side-by-side with Engineers for a time. Maybe this is to set up that humans are essentially descended from a virus, which is why the Engineers ultimately decide to destroy us? Maybe it's to set up the chilling premise that humans actually share a genetic kinship with the xenomorphs and other nasty creatures produced by the virus? Those would be interesting twists, I suppose. But I'm not really sure Scott had something like this in mind. It may simply be a throwaway scene that has no real point other than to make us ask questions there are no answers to.

4. Why did Shaw have to become inpregnated? I mean, yeah, it goes back to what was perhaps one of the most frightening aspects of the whole Alien series: these terrifying, creepy monsters start out inside of us!!! But that whole sequence of events just didn't work for me. It just didn't. It felt dumb and contrived from start to finish. If it was just to set up the xenomorph at the end, it could have been handled differently (and better). For instance, we could have merely had a chest burster pop out of the scientists who were in the bunker rather than simply have one disappear and the other turn into zombie scientist.

5. Why a xenomorph at the end? Yeah, there were millions of geek-gasms across the country this past weekend from everyone who saw the original Alien movies. It was worth it for that alone. But, again, Scott did it wrong. First off, mature xenomorphs don't pop out of their hosts. Second, they don't look like a kid in a pterodactyl suit.

6. The falling Engineer ship. Oh, the falling Engineer ship... Okay, let's set this up. Large, tall object is falling along a certain line and will crush the puny protagonists underneath if they can't somehow manage to escape. Rather than take a few steps to the right or left, which would be an easy escape, the protagonist instead chooses the futile exercise of running as fast as possible (but not fast enough) down the same line that is the path of the falling object. If I have done even a mediocre job of explaining the problem properly, you should be having the exact same reaction I had when seeing this scene, which is: "Wait, this seems familiar--Is this...?--Did he just...?--THIS IS BUGS BUNNY! I HAVE SEEN THIS EXACT SAME GAG IN EVERY SINGLE BUGS BUNNY CARTOON SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME!" And as much as I adore Bugs Bunny, I don't want Bugs Bunny in my Ridley Scott alien sci-fi horror thriller, thanks.  I was legitimately expecting to see a cutaway scene any moment of Wile E. Coyote receiving a package from Acme, which is not the reaction a movie set in the Alien universe is supposed to evoke.

Those are some of my questions/beefs. Still a decent movie. I will see the sequel(s) and likely see this one again, just because.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
Just finished V For Vendetta. Really good.

I think MetaJunkie meant to post this here, so I'm just going to do that for him.

Excellent movie.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »

Indeed. One of my everyone's all time favorites.

Fix'd

Re: The Fugitive... I remember watching it in University, baked out of my mind, and when the (intro) credits start rolling after the setup of the murder and trial, I thought to myself "Holy fuck man, this movie's over already!?!?".   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #462 on: July 07, 2015, 06:27:48 PM »

Indeed. One of my everyone's the TNT programming directors all time favorites.

Fix'd

Really fix'd.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
Scent of a Woman. Amazing Al Pacino's performance!  :tup
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
Cat's eye an adaptation of one of Stephen King's books, he also wrote the screenplay...released 85, very early Drew Barrymore and James Woods.

Nice product placement of King's works such as a Christine sticker on the bag of a red car that is meant to be Christine with a bumper sticker which reads Watch out for me, I am pure evil. I am CHRISTINE. Another scene has  James Woods watching The Dead Zone on tv, although he does switch it off remarking who writes this crap, and one character reading Pet Sematary in bed....

The movie has dated a lot but not too bad. :corn

I also watched The Fugitive, someone mentioned it recently, great film....Tommy Lee Jones deserved all the awards he won, Harrison Ford was great as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »
I saw Ex Machina last night, and enjoyed it just as much as I hoped I would. We need more scifi like this, and less of the kind with explosions. I didn't like Ava's android design, because it just didn't make any sense, but at least it looked cool. I also didn't find the change to her human appearance at the end to be believable either. Both relatively minor criticisms though, and I'd probably give it a 9/10.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: July 15, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »
I have heard nothing but good things about that one. I really want to see it, and hopefully will soon.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
I have heard nothing but good things about that one. I really want to see it, and hopefully will soon.

Yeah, everything I saw about it was positive too, so I expected I'd like it. If you enjoy thoughtful scifi that doesn't have action, I think you'll like it too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: July 15, 2015, 12:25:16 AM »
Cat's eye an adaptation of one of Stephen King's books, he also wrote the screenplay...released 85, very early Drew Barrymore and James Woods.

Hmm - I love James Woods stuff but haven't seen that.  I am especially fond of his devil-may-care smart ass roles , but I assume that's not the case here.  Will check it out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:17 AM »
James Woods plays a character trying to give up smoking...I love him as an actor...he does his best with the material provided...the film is split into three segments, he is only in the first one...the cat is the 'actor' in all three....hopefully this doesn't turn you off.

Ex Machina I have never heard of it, will have to look it up.. :smiley:  .. edit I had seen the preview...number 13 at the local library.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:45:01 AM by lucky7 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #470 on: July 15, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Not bad.  My daughter calls this the "X-Men Reboot Movie" because by the end, everything's back to the way it was at the end of the first movie.  That's true.  But what I liked was how, despite being mostly a time-travel story, it actually made a certain amount of sense.  Sure, there are always going to be problems when you have a time-travel story, but I can't really think of any here.  Also, the way they incorporated things from each of the other X-Men movies was done pretty well.  It wasn't perfect, but that was often due to the inconsistencies in the previous films.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #471 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
I love James Wood in Diggstown.  Fun, fun movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: July 15, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
I love James Wood in Diggstown.  Fun, fun movie.

I agree.  Never con a con man.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:12 PM »
Inside Out.

Absolutely wonderful movie. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »
Inside Out.

Absolutely wonderful movie.

Yes it was.  Really liked the concept.

Watched Wrath of Khan tonight.  Still a great flick.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
Kingsman: The Secret Service. That was such a fun and unexpected movie. I laughed so hard at some of the over the top action sequences particularly the church one. I think I really love all of Mathew Vaughn though I haven't seen Stardust. All others have been excellent.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:01 AM »
Last night.... Clerks & Mallrats  Still love them both. 

Earlier today..... Safety not guaranteed and The Door  .. both time travel films although completely different story lines.  Both well worth seeing.

The Door (2009) stars Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) German subtitles but so worth it, I loved this film, I am so amazed there has not been an English remake.
I won't say too much to avoid ruining it for anyone as usual with this type of film don't think to logically but what if you could go back in time, but the cost is you have to kill yourself in the past, would you do it? A little more to it, but this dilemma comes up a bit.

Tonight....Chasing Amy and Dogma!  :corn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: July 16, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »
Last night.... Clerks & Mallrats  Still love them both. 

Earlier today..... Safety not guaranteed and The Door  .. both time travel films although completely different story lines.  Both well worth seeing.

SBS2 last night? :lol
I caught most of The Door. Pretty good. It would have been interesting if it was time travel with causality rather than just two parallel timelines, but I enjoyed it, especially once more people started coming through.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: July 16, 2015, 03:37:22 AM »
^^SBS2 are pretty good....I saw The Door about six months back, same channel, so they may repeat it again soon...You should have waited for the end...   :corn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:31 AM »
^^SBS2 are pretty good....I saw The Door about six months back, same channel, so they may repeat it again soon...You should have waited for the end...   :corn

I watched it until the end, it was the very start I missed, but I was caught up by my dad.
I love SBS2. They often have good movies late at night, often movies I have on my watchlist.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2015, 03:48:49 AM »
^^Oh, okay then the start was fine to miss.. :laugh:  Same here with their movies and docos.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2015, 09:12:43 PM »
Ex Machina was great !

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: July 17, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »
I watched Cobbler, that new Netflix movie with Adam Sandler. I liked it.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #483 on: July 17, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »
Minions.  I love those little guys!  The music in the movie is pretty awesome, too.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
James Woods plays a character trying to give up smoking...I love him as an actor...he does his best with the material provided...the film is split into three segments, he is only in the first one...the cat is the 'actor' in all three....hopefully this doesn't turn you off.

I went crazy over Cat's Eye as a cat-loving kid, and when I rewatched it as an adult I found it pretty cheesy/hilarious. And omg, the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvwmnClMCI
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #485 on: July 18, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
Just saw 12 Monkeys for the first time. I definitely enjoyed it and Pitt was really damn good. How does the show match up with the movie? More of a spin-off?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »
Just watched Maggie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Most boring fucking film I've ever seen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
Just watched Maggie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Most boring fucking film I've ever seen.

I was curious to see that, but the reviews looked really bad, so I gave it a miss. I'd still probably check it out for myself at some point though.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »

I was curious to see that, but the reviews looked really bad, so I gave it a miss. I'd still probably check it out for myself at some point though.

I'm a big Schwarzenegger fan so I was going to check it out regardless but the film just felt lacking. There was basically no climax, or at least not one that hit me in a climactic way. I was watching it with my sister and she fell asleep and I found the sound of her snoring to be more enjoyable than Maggie.

Anyway, just saw Ant Man! Awesome movie!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
Falling Down. Still a solid 8/10 with points off for the really boring Duvall scenes for the first part of the movie.