Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 562296 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #4095 on: January 24, 2017, 04:22:25 AM »
I will definetely watch Split. I don't know if I'd call myself a Shyamalan fan, but his work intrigues me, so I'll see this new one.

I've never actually seen The Sixth Sense, and by now it's so ruined for me that I don't really care to. Also, I might be alone in this, but I think The Village is his best movie, I loved that.

The Village was really good. I also liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Signs was good up until the end. "Swing away." Awful ending. The Happening was good, too.

:o

I've never seen anyone have a good word to say about that film.  Even Wahlberg hates it!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4096 on: January 24, 2017, 04:31:18 AM »
When I first saw it I thought it was a bit funny, but overall pretty boring. It's the overhype from the internet that has made me "hate" it much later.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4097 on: January 24, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Pretty bad.  They kept the original concept of seven guys fighting to save a town and tossed everything else.  The assembled crew was so diverse that it was ridiculous.  Their motivations literally boiled down to "I don't have anything better to do, so I'll fight to the death to save some town I've never heard of for a couple bucks."  Plenty of crazy anachronisms, and plenty of just plain stupid stuff.

They took an interesting morality play and turned it into a generic action flick which you have to turn off your brain to enjoy, pretty much destroying the whole point of the movie.

2 spent bullet casings out of 5.  Would not watch again.

Funny, I came here to say I saw the movie, and I enjoyed it, and I read this.

Keep in mind I have never seen the original, so it's a completely different story?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4098 on: January 24, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
I've also seen Seven Samurai and recently watched The Magnificent Seven and enjoyed it. No masterpiece, but two hours of entertaining movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4099 on: January 24, 2017, 07:12:28 AM »
The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were both really good, but then his "trick ending" schtick got old and his movies got bad.

I've heard good things about Split and I want to see it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4100 on: January 24, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Pretty bad.  They kept the original concept of seven guys fighting to save a town and tossed everything else.  The assembled crew was so diverse that it was ridiculous.  Their motivations literally boiled down to "I don't have anything better to do, so I'll fight to the death to save some town I've never heard of for a couple bucks."  Plenty of crazy anachronisms, and plenty of just plain stupid stuff.

They took an interesting morality play and turned it into a generic action flick which you have to turn off your brain to enjoy, pretty much destroying the whole point of the movie.

2 spent bullet casings out of 5.  Would not watch again.

Funny, I came here to say I saw the movie, and I enjoyed it, and I read this.

Keep in mind I have never seen the original, so it's a completely different story?

I've also seen Seven Samurai and recently watched The Magnificent Seven and enjoyed it. No masterpiece, but two hours of entertaining movie.

I should have clarified.  When I said "the original" I meant the original version of The Magnificent Seven.  The 1960 version with Charles Bronson and Steve McQueen.  I know the story is based on The Seven Sumurai, but I wasn't talking about that.

It's not a completely different story, I mean you have a town being tormented by bad guys, and seven hired guns come in and take them on, but the similarity basically stops there.  The characters are all different, and their motivations are different.  In the original, some were shamed or have done shitty things in the past and are looking for redemption, if only in there own eyes.  The rest had a code of honor that wouldn't let them stand by.  It wasn't a group that included an Asian, a Mexican, an Indian, and a man of questionable mental faculty, led by a black man, all without anyone raising an eyebrow.  I know, today it's politically correct to include every possible group in every possible situation, but in the 1800's it was not, and to have this group strolling down the street like it was nothing was absurd.  They didn't include an openly gay man (although they did up the "subtext" between two characters), or a woman (though they did give her a lot more to do), but I guess they had to leave something for the next remake.  And hey, Haley Bennett is pretty and I like breasts as much as any guy, but let's be serious.  No way in hell she's running around in the old west in that dress, cleavage fully on display in every shot, and some shots specifically highlighting them.  Not quite the grieving widow.

In this version, when rounding up the seven, there are even some throwaway lines to the effect that "I ain't got nothin' else to do".  Seriously?  That was not why these men did this.  Out of boredom, or for the money.

The bad guy didn't just have a group of men, he had a fucking army.  We watched probably a hundred of them die, and not a single one of them said "Fuck this, Sarsgaard ain't payin' me enough for this" and just took off?  Why would all these guys, apparently every single one of them, be willing to die for some idiot?  Yeah, it was the old west, and the money was good, but after watching literally dozens of your comrades die, are you really going to continue charging into this town on a horse, with a pistol, facing rifles being fired from cover?  Or are you going to say "Fuck this, Sarsgaard ain't payin' me enough for this" and get the hell out of there?

Maybe it was because I knew what the outcome would be.  Obviously the bad guy will lose, probably get killed but certainly be run out of town.  Not all of The Seven will live; at least a few have to have heroic deaths.  But I thought getting from Point A to Point B would be more entertaining and less insulting to my intelligence.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4101 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Well, what else can I say than I completely see your point.

At least I enjoyed the movie and it didn't look 140 minutes long to me, I dodged a bullet I guess  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4102 on: January 24, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
My wife liked it, and had heard that it was good, which is why we watched it.  I know a lot of people enjoyed the movie, people less cynical than me I'm sure.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4103 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Unbreakable was a huge pile of shit.

Not his first either.

He has made some awful movies but I think Unbreakable was one of his best

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: January 24, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
My bro and I thought it was hilarious !

INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN !! I AM YOUR NEMESIS !! B...BRITLE...MAN !!! FEAR ME !

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4105 on: January 24, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »
Unbreakable was a huge pile of shit.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4106 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
I will definetely watch Split. I don't know if I'd call myself a Shyamalan fan, but his work intrigues me, so I'll see this new one.

I've never actually seen The Sixth Sense, and by now it's so ruined for me that I don't really care to. Also, I might be alone in this, but I think The Village is his best movie, I loved that.

The Village was really good. I also liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Signs was good up until the end. "Swing away." Awful ending. The Happening was good, too.

:o

I've never seen anyone have a good word to say about that film.  Even Wahlberg hates it!

Yes. Because I use Mark Wahlberg's taste as my baseline for good movies.   :P

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4107 on: January 24, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
I kinda like The Happening as a "so bad it's good" movie.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4108 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
I kinda like The Happening as a "so bad it's good" movie.
The trees are able to rationalize and rebel so I just consider them Ents.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4109 on: January 24, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Just watched the Devil's Backbone. I really enjoyed it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4110 on: January 25, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
I watched Iron Man last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4111 on: January 25, 2017, 08:05:53 AM »
Don't be surprised, it's a great movie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4112 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
The second one however...

Completely devoid of story.

Worst MCU movie so far.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4113 on: January 25, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »

Worst MCU movie so far.

Thor 2 gives IM2 a run for it's money in the worst MCU movie stakes. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4114 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »

Worst MCU movie so far.

Yeah, Thor 2 just beats IM2 for me for worst MCU film.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4115 on: January 25, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »

Worst MCU movie so far.

Idk what 'MCU' is, but Weekend at Bernie's 2 is without a doubt worse than either of those.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4116 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
MCU=Marvel Cinema Universe.

Meh, I like both IM2 and Thor 2 and actually enjoy them both quite a lot. 
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4117 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »

Worst MCU movie so far.

Idk what 'MCU' is, but Weekend at Bernie's 2 is without a doubt worse than either of those.
:lol

Yeah, WAB2 is, without question, one of the worst films ever made.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4118 on: January 25, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

Worst MCU movie so far.

:lol

Yeah, WAB2 is, without question, one of the worst films ever made.

It's such a shame. The first one is really funny and just fun in general.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4119 on: January 25, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

I loved the first Iron Man, haven't seen the other ones.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4120 on: January 25, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
So... this is not actually the last movie I saw, but I saw it two weeks ago and it immediately blew my mind.. Movie is called "Triangle" (2009).. You can say is a thriller, but it's much more than that.. Adventure at first, psycho thriller then, even horror, depending on what causes to each one (kinda in the vein of Birdman in that aspect)..

Is the first time that happens to me while I'm watching a movie that I get the doubt whether it's the best film I saw in my entire life... and I've watched lots of movies.. However, even though the exciment did last for some days after, now I'm not sure if it was the best ever, but it's on my top 5 without any doubt.. And because you don't know my filming taste (first time I post in this section btw), I'll make a list with a potential but not definitive order of the 10 single movies (meaning: not franchises included) I think are the finest:

Inception
Triangle
Cloud Atlas
The Number 23
Enemy
The Butterfly Effect
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Bender's Big Score
Sin City
The Time Machine

Well, actually I only put one movie from the Wachowskis and the Nolan brothers, but I have in high regard most of their works; same with David Fincher's and Tim Burton's.. As for franchises, I'll only say my all time favorite is Saw, and not too far behind are Matrix, Terminator, the (six) X-Men's movies and The Dark Knight trilogy.. I'm also very into the Paranormal Activity and Insidious films and -to include a comedy franchise- The Hangover too.. ;D

But yeah, Triangle.. This needs to be seen!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4121 on: January 25, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
I recently watched the first Iron Man for the first time in a while too and was really surprised by how well it holds up and also how well fucking Downey Jr. aged. Dude really made a come back after quitting the partying lifestyle, both physically and mentally.

Still an awesome film and it's cool to see that this is what started the now universe-sized snowball...one film that was pretty big gamble at the time and simultaneously created one of the biggest, still expanding movie franchises in history and catapulted and revived an actor's career in one swift movement. Great stuff, man. Just a fun flick and good vibe all around. Also despite how shallow War Monger turns out to be, I really loved Bridges in the bad guy role.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4122 on: January 25, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »

I loved the first Iron Man, haven't seen the other ones.

Second one is absolute fluff. nothing to it. I hated it. Third one is better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4123 on: January 25, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
The first movie from Marvel.   The extras on the making of the movie is very interesting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4124 on: January 25, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »
I thought the first Iron Man movie was one of the better superhero movies I've seen in recent memory

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4125 on: January 26, 2017, 02:31:27 AM »
I thought the first Iron Man movie was one of the better superhero movies I've seen in recent memory

Right. It shits on Man of Steel and also Batman V Superman.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4126 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »

Right. It shits on Man of Steel and also Batman V Superman.
To be fair, so does Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4127 on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
Eh, I like Man of Steel and BvS more than Iron Man 2 and Thor 2.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4128 on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
Eh, I like Man of Steel and BvS more than any Iron Man and Thor 2.

FTFM.. I haven't seen any of the Thor movies, as I'm not much of a MCU's fan.. I like Iron Man's movies and Avengers' and watched Ant-Man, but the rest of it never really interested me.. Although, as I said in the post above, I do like the X-Men's films, and I think is the best Marvel Universe; because they're from a different universe, right?..

I also happen to like the Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man trilogy.. But then again, as for the current Marvel or DC movies, I prefer the latter ones.. Anyways, while a considerable part of Marvel's films is already made, there are still plenty of DC's movies to be filmed in the near future, so we'll see..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4129 on: January 29, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »
Watched No Country for Old Men.

Well... I just didn't like it. I won't say it's a bad movie 'cause it obviously isn't, but it just didn't click with me. When it ended I was like "Wait, is it actually over?"...  they didn't even show the main character being killed (or his blody clearly shown) so I was waiting at the end for some kind of reveal that he survived, and that maybe he was the one behind the car accident (with the two kids being also involved somehow). No, bad guy gets in a car accident, walks away, movie's over.