Author Topic: Last movie you saw?  (Read 561479 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Last movie you saw?
« Reply #1505 on: January 16, 2016, 02:59:24 AM »
Agreed. Much better than Inarritu's last IMO ;)

I agree that the The Revenant was better, but I wouldn't say much better because I really loved Birdman as well.

Eh. I never really got the hype with Birdman, but maybe I should try it again. Fucking Amores Perros is still my favorite of his  :heart... this was not at all similar in style or plot, but did have a similar bleakness that I love. He really has a knack for juxtaposing and melding the beautiful and the ugly. Like, a super violent scene with this fucking magnificent scenery taking up most of the screen. So cool.

Wot? No Buttsecks? That's inexcusable!  ;D

Seriously  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1506 on: January 16, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
Just finished watching Beasts of No Nation. Incredible.

IMHO, definitely worthy of a Best Picture nod. But while I love Idris Elba, I didn't think he deserved a nomination. However, Abraham Attah, the boy who played Agu, gave a phenomenal performance, and probably WAS deserving of a nomination.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1507 on: January 16, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »
Firewall with Harry Ford and Paul Bettany

Not bad, but nothing great.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1508 on: January 16, 2016, 05:50:41 PM »
Inside Out, for the 3rd time.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1509 on: January 17, 2016, 01:37:17 AM »
A Clockwork Orange for the first time.

I liked it very much. Even though it's such an old movie I had managed to be surprisingly unspoiled about the plot of this movie. I had seen that classic picture of them in the white clothes and sitting in the milk bar, and I've seen some brief clips of them being horrible people. That's all I had seen, so that's what I thought the entire movie would be. I was very surprised when the second act I suppose began and the whole prison bit came. Had no idea. And what happens next was really powerful.

Kubrick is of course a great director. His visual style is very different. Not flawless to me though, as I was distracted at a few moments by some strange choices.

And there are some terrible cases of overacting in there, especially Alex's mentor or whatever in the beginning, and of course the writer towards the end. I thought that was just bad, didn't like that.

What surprised me most about the movie was definetely the character of Alex himself. Over the years I had formed this mental image of that character as this weird and ruthless criminal anarchist, but that was about it. When that first night was over and he comes home and I understood that he was just a kid, still in school, it really surprised me. Alex as a character really became a person and was truly what ultimately made this movie great.

But, sometimes when he talked he sounded like Eric Idle, and the prison guard sounded like John Cleese, so sometimes I got a feeling I was watching Monty Python  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1510 on: January 17, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
In the original novel by Anthony Burgess, Alex is just a school kid.  I didn't know that the first couple of times I watched the movie, and Malcolm McDowell was in his late 20's when they made this movie, so I just thought it was another bit of Kubrick weirdness.  Either he's 28 and still in high school, or he's 28 and his mum and dad still treat him like he's still in school.  Nope, just a casting choice.  They're just punks.  The movie makes them look like misguided adults.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1511 on: January 17, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
Yeah, the casting of such an old guy was a bit strange, but in the end it didn't bother me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1512 on: January 17, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
Yeah, in the end, he's a pretty messed-up person anyway, then when they try to fix him, he gets more messed up, or something.  Crazy flick, but one of my faves.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1513 on: January 17, 2016, 08:13:09 PM »
Ted 2. Meh mostly boring with some funny jokes sprinkled in. I loved the first one to pieces but this one was really just some long drama with funny dialogue.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1514 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:52 PM »
Fight Club. Oh. Shit.  :hefdaddy

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1515 on: January 18, 2016, 12:04:55 AM »
:lol, yep.

Watched Poison by Todd Haynes last night, which is weird and cool. It has three different stories told in totally different styles. One is kind of a gritty prison tale of man-love, one is an old school sci-fi/horror story about a scentist who isolates the sex drive (and then accidentally drinks it, leading to bad things), and then there's one shot documentary-style (about a kid who stabs his dad and apparently then flies out the window), which is probably my favorite. I'm on a bit of a Haynes kick right now.

Tonight I watched All That Heaven Allows (inspiration for Haynes), which is so damn pretty. Very fifties in its sexism, but also a lot of good social commentary for the time. The cinematography and colors are just amazing!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: January 18, 2016, 12:15:41 AM »
Classic movie, great soundtrack too. :metal

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #1517 on: January 18, 2016, 12:41:35 AM »
Saw
Saw 2
Saw 3
Saw 4
Saw 5
Saw 6
The Shining
 :metal
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1518 on: January 18, 2016, 12:45:17 AM »

Great movie. I actually refuse to read the book because I know it'll be better than the movie, and I don't want the movie ruined.  I know...weird logic.   :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1519 on: January 18, 2016, 05:24:16 AM »
Spectre. It was a nice movie, not as great as I expected it to be though. So Spectre´s a big deal, but it´s almost never explained exactly WHY this guy is such a threat. Sat there shaking my head at the end.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1520 on: January 18, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
Also finally got to see Galaxy Quest. Good fun movie, though I guess it's the space balls version of Star Trek with a little more serious tone than spaceballs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1521 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
Spectre. It was a nice movie, not as great as I expected it to be though. So Spectre´s a big deal, but it´s almost never explained exactly WHY this guy is such a threat. Sat there shaking my head at the end.

Saw this one last night too. I don't think this second viewing really changed any of my opinions. There's some great stuff in there, but it also has problems with it's narrative and it's villain. Still my third favorite Craig Bond movie.

Although, one thing that changed this time for me: The first time I liked the opening song well enough, but when I saw that intro last night I thought the song was AWESOME  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1522 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
This thread is probably the best place to put this:

2015 Movies in Lego
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1523 on: January 20, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
The Hateful Eight. Long, lots of talking but great acting allround. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #1524 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »
Saw 1
Saw 2
Saw 3
Saw 4
Human Centipede 1
Human Centipede 3
The sound of music
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1525 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
Saw 1
Saw 2
Saw 3
Saw 4
Human Centipede 1
Human Centipede 3
The sound of music

One of these things is not like the other.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1526 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:48 AM »

Great movie. I actually refuse to read the book because I know it'll be better than the movie, and I don't want the movie ruined.  I know...weird logic.   :lol
I hope it has a better ending, one not so anti-climatic

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1527 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:35 AM »
Saw 1
Saw 2
Saw 3
Saw 4
Human Centipede 1
Human Centipede 3
The sound of music

One of these things is not like the other.

Can't quite put my finger on it though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1528 on: January 21, 2016, 06:35:05 AM »
Julie Andrews is one tough bitch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1529 on: January 21, 2016, 07:33:16 AM »
Enter the void. Very trippy movie and I can't imagine how that movie would look to someone watching it while high. Aside from the trippiness of it I thought it was actually quite interesting, it had an intriguing enough story and was very creatively done I should say.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1530 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »
The Gift. Fantastic movie, I love these types of mystery thrillers. Great directing, writing, and acting from Joel Edgerton :metal

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1531 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
The Gift. Fantastic movie, I love these types of mystery thrillers. Great directing, writing, and acting from Joel Edgerton :metal

I am curious about this one, but I am almost afraid of uncomfortable moments in movies, and this one seems to be quite uncomfortable at times, so we'll see.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1532 on: January 21, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
Man, that was one that I just not only did not get the hype and the so-called mystery around it...it downright baffles me. I thought it was at the very best a mediocre showing of mystery and 'twist'. I called the twist from the second it "could have happened", to be vague for those that haven't seen it...but anyone who has should know what part I'm talking about. I thought it was really a predictable thing to occur and especially the ending...as if that was something mysterious or creative. I just didn't like it very much at all, let alone jumping on the hype train.

I think this is literally the first time we've disagreed on a movie, Biscuit.  :'(

OUR BOND IS STILL STRONG.

If half of the movie didn't hinge entirely on the twist and the fact that there was a very specific ending, it wouldn't have been so bad. But I gotta say, I really enjoyed seeing Bateman in a total and utter dickhead role. I truly hated him throughout the film. The characterization of the protag/antag was really good, I can't fault it there at all. It's just...everything else that I didn't like.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1533 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
Fair enough! :)

It's okay, we mostly agree on shit so that's what really matters.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:56 PM »
I'm watching a movie called What's Eating Gilbert Grape on Netflix, in this movie Johnny Depp is a grown up and DiCaprio is a kid and now they look the same age, baffling heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1535 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:36 PM »
Great flick. Caught it back in the day but i rewatched it a few years ago and thought it was just as good except this time i didnt cry the whole movie.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1536 on: January 21, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
Watched War Room this last Saturday.  It was OUTSTANDING.  The Kendrick brothers struck gold yet again.  I will have to go back and look at what I saw last year, but it could very well end up being my top movie of 2015.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1537 on: January 22, 2016, 12:17:01 AM »
I'm watching a movie called What's Eating Gilbert Grape on Netflix, in this movie Johnny Depp is a grown up and DiCaprio is a kid and now they look the same age, baffling heh
Haven't seen that one in ages but it's a wonderful movie.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1538 on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:28 AM »
Agreed! Leo is great and Depp is hot as fuck.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1539 on: January 22, 2016, 05:47:02 AM »

Great movie. It has been a while since I've seen it though.

I watched Eurotrip last night. Stupid humor, but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. I love the scene on the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KACgT-ZD0