Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 55356 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #1960 on: December 02, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
If you guys had to choose would you rather get a DS9 post as series movie or Voyager post series movie?

DS9, at least they can go back to the station for some reason.

What would the voyager people do? What would possibly bring them together that wasn't forced?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1961 on: December 02, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
I never really got that from DS9. With one exception they wrapped up everything, and that exception was entirely Avery Brooks's doing. The Sisko dies and becomes a profit. End of story. He wanted the ambiguity so it wouldn't be just another story where a black man abandons his family. I think it's a bad move, but whatever. From my perspective the guy's dead and buried, thus concluding the show.

I disagree. Sisko does not die. That's more of a literal interpretation of him falling to his pit and going to "heaven" with the prophets, and I don't think it is the correct one. He has spent time with the prophets before. He was saved by them, and is WITH them, to return when the time is right (which he tells Kasidy. And again, the baseball is on the desk. It's pretty clear to me that he's not gone permanently. I understand Avery Brooks not wanting it seem like a black man is abandoning his family. I think he was right to want that. But I think saying the "guy's dead and buried" misses the overall point about the Prophets and Sisko's tie to them. They saved him, he saved them, and he'll be back. It's all very clear to me. But that's the beauty of episodes like this, right? We all take it in different ways.
I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what the writers intended, and not based on the tacked-on ambiguity that was forced upon them. And it is ambiguous. He pops up and says maybe I'll be back someday. What, do we think he's going to return from being a Prophet and settle down with his family in his custom built home on Bajor? The Prophets told him he'd find no peace on Bajor, and he wouldn't spend his life with Cassidy. I think that pretty much covers it, occasional poltergeisting aside.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1962 on: December 03, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
I'm looking at it from the standpoint of what the writers intended, and not based on the tacked-on ambiguity that was forced upon them. And it is ambiguous. He pops up and says maybe I'll be back someday. What, do we think he's going to return from being a Prophet and settle down with his family in his custom built home on Bajor? The Prophets told him he'd find no peace on Bajor, and he wouldn't spend his life with Cassidy. I think that pretty much covers it, occasional poltergeisting aside.

No, he actually says he WILL be back. I just watched it.  ;)

Again, we simply disagree, but that correction is vital to my point. He makes a concerted effort to say he will be back, and all the normal signs (the baseball, etc.) all show that. It's just a matter of when. They said he would not find peace on Bajor. That doesn't mean he won't find peace somewhere else in the corporeal world. You keep talking about what the writers intended, which to be honest, I haven't watched the documentary yet, and haven't read what the writers said they wanted. But I'm going by what Sisko himself said, and the signs all through the end of the episode to indicate Sisko is NOT permanently gone.

And El B -- I don't know you well, so don't take any of this as me being fired up or whatnot. No disrespect or antagonizing intended. We just disagree on that point is all. :)
AnybodyListening.net - The definitive history of Queensryche's original lineup.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1963 on: December 03, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
And El B -- I don't know you well, so don't take any of this as me being fired up or whatnot. No disrespect or antagonizing intended. We just disagree on that point is all. :)
It's Star Trek. We're supposed to disagree vehemently and spend years debating tiny details.  :lol

If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. Him going off temporarily to be with the Prophets, only to return at some later point just doesn't make any sense. It's a corny ending that doesn't jibe with everything else we've seen from the show, and honestly makes no sense. Also, I've seen the baseball brought up a couple of times, and that doesn't make sense, either. He's non-corporial. Where would he put it? Do they have shelves for knickknacks in the celestial temple? Will he have his own room? A cubicle? Will he carry it around for the rest of time, like Marley's chains?

Something else that never really sat well with me is that he appears in a vision to Cassidy to tell her he'll be gone indefinitely, but why not Jake? He's got this awesome bond with his kid and he's only known Cassidey for what, 3 years? "By the way, tell Jake I said "see ya." That never really seemed right to me. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1964 on: December 03, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. 
Well, we don't have the intended ending, whatever that may be.  We only have the ending.  All that happened is what happened on screen. 

So yeah, IMO it kind of sucked.  Which was a real shame, because I enjoyed the hell out of most of the rest of the series.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1965 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
It's Star Trek. We're supposed to disagree vehemently and spend years debating tiny details.  :lol

If I were to go with what  Sisko said and not what the intended ending was, then I have to move strongly into Hef's camp that the final episode sucked. Him going off temporarily to be with the Prophets, only to return at some later point just doesn't make any sense. It's a corny ending that doesn't jibe with everything else we've seen from the show, and honestly makes no sense. Also, I've seen the baseball brought up a couple of times, and that doesn't make sense, either. He's non-corporial. Where would he put it? Do they have shelves for knickknacks in the celestial temple? Will he have his own room? A cubicle? Will he carry it around for the rest of time, like Marley's chains?

Something else that never really sat well with me is that he appears in a vision to Cassidy to tell her he'll be gone indefinitely, but why not Jake? He's got this awesome bond with his kid and he's only known Cassidey for what, 3 years? "By the way, tell Jake I said "see ya." That never really seemed right to me. 

I liked the ending of DS9 but the Jake thing did bother me a bit. Ben and Jake had an amzing relationship for the entire run of the show, I just head cannon that Ben came to him in another vision.