Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 15247 times)

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
When I first heard the Hulu announcement, I was absolutely going to pass on it.

But now that Hulu is part of that Disney package rollout...I might bite after all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

• allmediareviews
« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »
bump.

slightly OT: anyone seen the Galaxy Quest documentary? it's well worth it for any Trekkie who even mildly enjoyed the film.

my only qualm was, they mentioned the film's influence today and talked about Guardians of the Galaxy, which I follow, but nothing about The Orville  ::)

it's on Amazon Prime for those who have it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:55:57 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
bump.

slightly OT: anyone seen the Galaxy Quest documentary? it's well worth it for any Trekkie who even mildly enjoyed the the film.

my only qualm was, they mentioned the film's influence today and talked about Guardians of the Galaxy, which I follow, but nothing about The Orville  ::)

it's on Amazon Prime for those who have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnjoiqfhDtQ

There you go. It's from the same team that made the documentary. When I saw it in theaters, they played that first actually.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #388 on: May 07, 2020, 10:10:03 PM »
Finally got around to wrapping up S2. The first half of the season really sucked ass. The war with the Kalons, which is where I actually bailed ages ago, was alright, but pretty predictable. I actually like them as antagonists. Completely logical and dispassionate, like the Borg were originally, but absolutely brutal. Blood of Patriots was pretty good, but also a little predictable. They're running into problems partly because it's all been done before, and partly because they don't have a knack of pacing. They spend a ton of time in the setup and then have to rush through to the conclusion. In any case, the final two episodes were excellent. Again, it had all been done before, but as they often do they combined various elements to come up with something fairly original and entertaining. And in this case they turned it into two well produced episodes. Good on them.

I'm still not particularly high on it, and I'm hardly dying for its return. Most of this season really stunk it up, and I'm not cool at all with Supergirl's replacement. Much like last season, though, they managed to sneak in just enough quality to maintain some interest.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #391 on: August 03, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
I'm just glad there's a third season in the can so that there will be some new programming to watch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
Truth be told, three seasons is enough. I wanted a second season to see if it would find its footing, and it didn't. It still doesn't know what it wants to be, and the hybrid format just doesn't work all that well. Considering how good the guy is at both Star Trek and comedy, I have to conclude that you just can't combine the two on a weekly basis. Interesting experiment that just didn't pan out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
I totally disagree Stadler Bart. I thought the show found a great balance in that second season. But I do agree three is enough. I think the format, while good, is a bit limiting in what can be done and going much past three would result in immensely redundant stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
I totally disagree Stadler Bart. I thought the show found a great balance in that second season. But I do agree three is enough. I think the format, while good, is a bit limiting in what can be done and going much past three would result in immensely redundant stuff.
Perhaps. The truth is that I really thought the first half of the season sucked lots of ass, so I'm probably not the fairest judge. It does seem to me, though, that the balance came about by separating the comedy and scifi even further. Episodes leaned more heavily one or the other, rather than trying to be lots of both. This isn't a bad thing, really. I'm just not sure it's sustainable.

A problem I think the show runs into is that some of the stories can be fairly dark. Usually the best episodes, to boot. This is a good thing, I think. The problem is that it's hard to make Seth Macfarlane Jokes while people are being tortured, or beaten to death by angry mobs, or crucified, or slaughtered in droves by psychotic androids. I think there's a mutual exclusivity at work hindering what he's trying to do.

And while the first half kind of blew, the season really did end on a high note. As I've often said, it's occasionally very good. I just don't think the formula is sustainable.
E.F. Benson